Is Samba in 10.3 working for you? - Suse

This is a discussion on Is Samba in 10.3 working for you? - Suse ; Since nobody is tackling my preceeding post, I ask if anyone has set up samba server and client and has been able to connect with a windows 2000 computer? Win 2000 can see SuSE and its shares, but using the ...

  1. Is Samba in 10.3 working for you?

    Since nobody is tackling my preceeding post, I ask if anyone has set
    up samba server and client and has been able to connect with a windows
    2000 computer?

    Win 2000 can see SuSE and its shares, but using the KDE GUI, it sees
    the computers but refuses to go beyond to the shares they offer.
    Between win2000 computers they see each others shares.

    Also tried a root was "smbclient //win2000/exchange" (the shared
    directory). The error returned is "//win2000/exchange
    BAD_NETWORK_NAME"

    Any suggestions?
    Paul

    --

  2. Re: Is Samba in 10.3 working for you?

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 22:44:34 GMT, "PaulRS" wrote:

    >Also tried a root was "smbclient //win2000/exchange" (the shared
    >directory). The error returned is "//win2000/exchange
    >BAD_NETWORK_NAME"

    Try to open the drive the way you might hand type a URL. Instead of http,
    your command in the Konqueror address bar is:

    smb://win2000/exhange

  3. Re: Is Samba in 10.3 working for you?

    On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 23:17:55 UTC, George Peatty
    wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 22:44:34 GMT, "PaulRS" wrote:
    >
    > >Also tried a root was "smbclient //win2000/exchange" (the shared
    > >directory). The error returned is "//win2000/exchange
    > >BAD_NETWORK_NAME"

    > Try to open the drive the way you might hand type a URL. Instead of http,
    > your command in the Konqueror address bar is:
    >
    > smb://win2000/exhange

    With the above I get:
    An error occured while loading //win2000/exchange
    Time out on server
    win2000
    --

  4. Re: Is Samba in 10.3 working for you?

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 23:28:47 GMT, "PaulRS" wrote:

    >With the above I get:
    > An error occured while loading //win2000/exchange
    > Time out on server
    > win2000

    Since the issue is apparently with the Windows computer, and the network is
    fine when running 2K all around, I'm at a loss how to advise you. Seems
    that Ubuntu cannot connect to the 2k system. Question is, why.

    I've sometimes had good results from disabling sharing on the Windows side,
    then reboot, then re-enable sharing, then reboot again, but that's the only
    constructive suggestion I can muster at this point.

  5. Re: Is Samba in 10.3 working for you?

    On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:44:34 UTC, "PaulRS"
    wrote:

    > Since nobody is tackling my preceeding post, I ask if anyone has set
    > up samba server and client and has been able to connect with a windows
    > 2000 computer?
    >
    > Win 2000 can see SuSE and its shares, but using the KDE GUI, it sees
    > the computers but refuses to go beyond to the shares they offer.
    > Between win2000 computers they see each others shares.
    >
    > Also tried a root was "smbclient //win2000/exchange" (the shared
    > directory). The error returned is "//win2000/exchange
    > BAD_NETWORK_NAME"
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > Paul

    OK - By experimentation I discovered the basis of my problem. Samba
    cannot fiqure out the IP address of a named computer. When I looked
    up the current network address 192.168.1.100 of the "windows2000" box
    and entered it into /etc/HOSTS, Samba worked.

    Problem is that my mini network works by DHCP and the final number
    will vary between 100-103 depending which computer boots up first.
    - any suggestions??

    --

  6. Re: Is Samba in 10.3 working for you?

    On 2008-02-02, PaulRS wrote:
    > On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:44:34 UTC, "PaulRS"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Since nobody is tackling my preceeding post, I ask if anyone has set
    >> up samba server and client and has been able to connect with a windows
    >> 2000 computer?
    >>
    >> Win 2000 can see SuSE and its shares, but using the KDE GUI, it sees
    >> the computers but refuses to go beyond to the shares they offer.
    >> Between win2000 computers they see each others shares.
    >>
    >> Also tried a root was "smbclient //win2000/exchange" (the shared
    >> directory). The error returned is "//win2000/exchange
    >> BAD_NETWORK_NAME"
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >> Paul
    >>

    > OK - By experimentation I discovered the basis of my problem. Samba
    > cannot fiqure out the IP address of a named computer. When I looked
    > up the current network address 192.168.1.100 of the "windows2000" box
    > and entered it into /etc/HOSTS, Samba worked.
    >
    > Problem is that my mini network works by DHCP and the final number
    > will vary between 100-103 depending which computer boots up first.
    > - any suggestions??

    I've always used static addressess in my home LAN.
    Never had an issue with Samba.

    Vahis
    Remodeling my site to train new things:
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    --
    "The only thing more expensive than training is the lack of it"
    Henry Ford

  7. Re: Is Samba in 10.3 working for you?

    PaulRS wrote:
    > On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:44:34 UTC, "PaulRS"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Since nobody is tackling my preceeding post, I ask if anyone has set
    >> up samba server and client and has been able to connect with a windows
    >> 2000 computer?
    >>
    >> Win 2000 can see SuSE and its shares, but using the KDE GUI, it sees
    >> the computers but refuses to go beyond to the shares they offer.
    >> Between win2000 computers they see each others shares.
    >>
    >> Also tried a root was "smbclient //win2000/exchange" (the shared
    >> directory). The error returned is "//win2000/exchange
    >> BAD_NETWORK_NAME"
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >> Paul
    >>

    > OK - By experimentation I discovered the basis of my problem. Samba
    > cannot fiqure out the IP address of a named computer. When I looked
    > up the current network address 192.168.1.100 of the "windows2000" box
    > and entered it into /etc/HOSTS, Samba worked.
    >
    > Problem is that my mini network works by DHCP and the final number
    > will vary between 100-103 depending which computer boots up first.
    > - any suggestions??

    Hi Paul,
    I always use Tweakhound's excellent tutorial to get my machines to
    Samba. Find it here:

    http://www.tweakhound.com/linux/samba/page_1.htm

    It was written for 10.1 but works well for 10.3 too. However I use
    static IP addresses. But this may work as he uses swat to enable the
    hosts. Also in his Global section he changes the browse options that may
    help. And he shows how to get around the firewall. Spend some time with
    Tweakhound. Also make sure you set up an samba password for the users of
    the Win2000 machines.

    If that doesn't cut it for you it is time to start hand editing some of
    the samba config files. Here's what I've used to get that done:

    http://www.samba.netfirms.com/

    Good luck.

    Tom

+ Reply to Thread