Wireless card doesn't work after kernel update on openSUSE 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on Wireless card doesn't work after kernel update on openSUSE 10.3 - Suse ; It happened just few minutes before. The auto update prompted me for new kernel update. After install, rebooted the system as prompted and then I lost the network connectivity. Here is my system information: 1) OpenSUSE 10.3 (installed on Intel ...

  1. Wireless card doesn't work after kernel update on openSUSE 10.3

    It happened just few minutes before.
    The auto update prompted me for new kernel update.
    After install, rebooted the system as prompted and then I lost the
    network connectivity.

    Here is my system information:
    1) OpenSUSE 10.3 (installed on Intel P4 PC)
    2) Current kernel version (through uname -a command): 2.6.22.16-0.1-
    default #1 SMP 2008/01/23 14:28:52 UTC i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    2) Network interface card: Wireless D-link Airplus DWL-G520

    Please help me what to do now ? Because, that is my primary computer
    and I am totally lost.

  2. Re: Wireless card doesn't work after kernel update on openSUSE 10.3

    akarui.tomodachi@gmail.com wrote:

    > It happened just few minutes before.
    > The auto update prompted me for new kernel update.
    > After install, rebooted the system as prompted and then I lost the
    > network connectivity.
    >
    > Here is my system information:
    > 1) OpenSUSE 10.3 (installed on Intel P4 PC)
    > 2) Current kernel version (through uname -a command): 2.6.22.16-0.1-
    > default #1 SMP 2008/01/23 14:28:52 UTC i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    > 2) Network interface card: Wireless D-link Airplus DWL-G520
    >
    > Please help me what to do now ? Because, that is my primary computer
    > and I am totally lost.

    install the correct drivers to match to the kernel you run?

    you can also downgrade the kernel.
    http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...-downgrade.png
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: Wireless card doesn't work after kernel update on openSUSE 10.3

    akarui.tomodachi@gmail.com wrote:
    > It happened just few minutes before.
    > The auto update prompted me for new kernel update.
    > After install, rebooted the system as prompted and then I lost the
    > network connectivity.
    >
    > Here is my system information:
    > 1) OpenSUSE 10.3 (installed on Intel P4 PC)
    > 2) Current kernel version (through uname -a command): 2.6.22.16-0.1-
    > default #1 SMP 2008/01/23 14:28:52 UTC i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    > 2) Network interface card: Wireless D-link Airplus DWL-G520
    >
    > Please help me what to do now ? Because, that is my primary computer
    > and I am totally lost.

    Were you using something you compiled or configured yourself, like a kernel
    module or ndiswrapper that you had compiled? If so you need to rebuild it and
    reinstall it for the new kernel.
    _______________
    hello friend!
    Please don't reply to me about: top, bottom, or middle posting, grammar,
    spelling. Thank you!

  4. Re: Wireless card doesn't work after kernel update on openSUSE 10.3

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:58:36 -0800, akarui.tomodachi wrote:

    > It happened just few minutes before.
    > The auto update prompted me for new kernel update. After install,
    > rebooted the system as prompted and then I lost the network
    > connectivity.
    >
    > Here is my system information:
    > 1) OpenSUSE 10.3 (installed on Intel P4 PC) 2) Current kernel version
    > (through uname -a command): 2.6.22.16-0.1- default #1 SMP 2008/01/23
    > 14:28:52 UTC i686 i386 GNU/Linux 2) Network interface card: Wireless
    > D-link Airplus DWL-G520
    >
    > Please help me what to do now ? Because, that is my primary computer and
    > I am totally lost.

    The kernel you mention does in fact wipe out MadWifi. It also wipes the nvidia drivers, but I noticed it
    reinstalled a newer version of nvidia's drivers on the flipside. Not so for Madwifi. You can reinstall an older
    kernel from your installer disks or wait out the MadWifi upgrade.
    Then, of course, you do not want to take the upgrade until the new MadWifi drivers are out.

  5. Re: Wireless card doesn't work after kernel update on openSUSE 10.3

    On Jan 31, 2:58 pm, akarui.tomoda...@gmail.com wrote:
    > It happened just few minutes before.
    > The auto update prompted me for new kernel update.
    > After install, rebooted the system as prompted and then I lost the
    > network connectivity.
    >
    > Here is my system information:
    > 1) OpenSUSE 10.3 (installed on Intel P4 PC)
    > 2) Current kernel version (through uname -a command): 2.6.22.16-0.1-
    > default #1 SMP 2008/01/23 14:28:52 UTC i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    > 2) Network interface card: Wireless D-link Airplus DWL-G520
    >
    > Please help me what to do now ? Because, that is my primary computer
    > and I am totally lost.

    The madwifi kernel modules are for some reason not linked as a
    dependency to the kernel upgrade. You can install the updated version
    from here:

    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...03_BRANCH_KMP/

    Select your architecture (x86_64 or i586) and then download the
    following package into a suitable directory where you will be able to
    find it later:

    madwifi-kmp-default-ng_r3314_20080131_2.6.22.16_29.1-10.1

    Install using rpm -Uvh madwifi*.rpm

    If you have no LAN (fixed line) backup Internet connectivity on your
    computer, then obviously you will need to download the rpm using
    another machine and then copy it across on a CD or some other way.

    Regards

    J P Bayley

  6. Re: Wireless card doesn't work after kernel update on openSUSE 10.3

    > http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...e1980/SL103_BR...
    >
    > Select your architecture (x86_64 or i586) and then download the
    > following package into a suitable directory where you will be able to
    > find it later:
    >
    > madwifi-kmp-default-ng_r3314_20080131_2.6.22.16_29.1-10.1
    >
    > Install using rpm -Uvh madwifi*.rpm

    John, Thank you !
    You are my hero !
    Nobody could come until now with such a magic solution. I had a VERY
    hard time to install the madwifi-kmp module. The instruction in
    opensuse.org and madwifi.org never mentioned anything about the
    dependency problem with the kernel update, that instruction should be
    updated. But one question is still remained unanswered though, why the
    new kernel explicitly removed the madWiFi driver during update ?

  7. Re: Wireless card doesn't work after kernel update on openSUSE 10.3

    akarui.tomodachi@gmail.com wrote:
    > John, Thank you !
    > You are my hero !
    > Nobody could come until now with such a magic solution. I had a VERY
    > hard time to install the madwifi-kmp module.

    Great that it worked.

    > The instruction in opensuse.org and madwifi.org never mentioned
    > anything about the dependency problem with the kernel update, that
    > instruction should be updated.

    It is a wiki, so anybody, including you, can update it. Tell us when it
    is done. Thanks.

    houghi
    --
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq?
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?

  8. Re: Wireless card doesn't work after kernel update on openSUSE 10.3

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:34:42 -0800, John Bayley wrote:

    > On Jan 31, 2:58 pm, akarui.tomoda...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> It happened just few minutes before.
    >> The auto update prompted me for new kernel update. After install,
    >> rebooted the system as prompted and then I lost the network
    >> connectivity.
    >>
    >> Here is my system information:
    >> 1) OpenSUSE 10.3 (installed on Intel P4 PC) 2) Current kernel version
    >> (through uname -a command): 2.6.22.16-0.1- default #1 SMP 2008/01/23
    >> 14:28:52 UTC i686 i386 GNU/Linux 2) Network interface card: Wireless
    >> D-link Airplus DWL-G520
    >>
    >> Please help me what to do now ? Because, that is my primary computer
    >> and I am totally lost.

    > The madwifi kernel modules are for some reason not linked as a
    > dependency to the kernel upgrade. You can install the updated version
    > from here:
    >
    > http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...03_BRANCH_KMP/
    >
    > Select your architecture (x86_64 or i586) and then download the
    > following package into a suitable directory where you will be able to
    > find it later:
    >
    > madwifi-kmp-default-ng_r3314_20080131_2.6.22.16_29.1-10.1
    >
    > Install using rpm -Uvh madwifi*.rpm
    >
    > If you have no LAN (fixed line) backup Internet connectivity on your
    > computer, then obviously you will need to download the rpm using another
    > machine and then copy it across on a CD or some other way.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > J P Bayley

    Great stuff and how'd you find that?--etc.

    And why does this site have a later version than the MadWifi site?

  9. Re: Wireless card doesn't work after kernel update on openSUSE 10.3

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:34:42 -0800, John Bayley wrote:

    > madwifi-kmp-default-ng_r3314_20080131_2.6.22.16_29.1-10.1
    >
    > Install using rpm -Uvh madwifi*.rpm

    > Regards
    >
    > J P Bayley

    Well, I chose to install it with Yast, which I then couldn't--as it is for a newer kernel than the one I got today!
    There's a switch.

  10. Re: Wireless card doesn't work after kernel update on openSUSE 10.3

    akarui.tomodachi@gmail.com contributed these words of wisdom:
    >> http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...e1980/SL103_BR...
    >>
    >> Select your architecture (x86_64 or i586) and then download the
    >> following package into a suitable directory where you will be able to
    >> find it later:
    >>
    >> madwifi-kmp-default-ng_r3314_20080131_2.6.22.16_29.1-10.1
    >>
    >> Install using rpm -Uvh madwifi*.rpm
    >>

    > John, Thank you !
    > You are my hero !
    > Nobody could come until now with such a magic solution. I had a VERY
    > hard time to install the madwifi-kmp module.

    Why? It should have been as simple as the one command I wrote above.

    > The instruction in
    > opensuse.org and madwifi.org never mentioned anything about the
    > dependency problem with the kernel update, that instruction should be
    > updated.

    Yes, I'm not sure why that is. The madwifi driver was last included
    "properly" as a default installation option with SuSE 10.0. After that,
    it was always necessary to install it as an add-on - generally by having
    to add the madwifi.org/suse repository to smart.

    > But one question is still remained unanswered though, why the
    > new kernel explicitly removed the madWiFi driver during update ?

    Because the kernel module rpm (which is what you needed to get the
    driver to work) is specifically linked to one specific kernel. When that
    kernel was updated, the related driver module was uninstalled.

    I'm not sure about updates through YAST, but when doing the same update
    through smart, it clearly shows that the existing madwifi kernel modules
    will be uninstalled. In the absence of a broken dependency warning, this
    at least gives you a hint there may be trouble around the corner unless
    you first go looking for the updated version of this package - which can
    more often than not then be found at opensuse.org/search and installed
    with one-click if required.

    It would of course have been helpful for many users who have no or
    little experience with this to at least include a warning that the
    kernel update would disable madwifi, and perhaps provide a hint as to
    how to get the updated module.

  11. Re: Wireless card doesn't work after kernel update on openSUSE 10.3

    Pete Puma contributed these words of wisdom:
    > On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:34:42 -0800, John Bayley wrote:
    >
    >> On Jan 31, 2:58 pm, akarui.tomoda...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> It happened just few minutes before.
    >>> The auto update prompted me for new kernel update. After install,
    >>> rebooted the system as prompted and then I lost the network
    >>> connectivity.
    >>>
    >>> Here is my system information:
    >>> 1) OpenSUSE 10.3 (installed on Intel P4 PC) 2) Current kernel version
    >>> (through uname -a command): 2.6.22.16-0.1- default #1 SMP 2008/01/23
    >>> 14:28:52 UTC i686 i386 GNU/Linux 2) Network interface card: Wireless
    >>> D-link Airplus DWL-G520
    >>>
    >>> Please help me what to do now ? Because, that is my primary computer
    >>> and I am totally lost.

    >> The madwifi kernel modules are for some reason not linked as a
    >> dependency to the kernel upgrade. You can install the updated version
    >> from here:
    >>
    >> http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...03_BRANCH_KMP/
    >>
    >> Select your architecture (x86_64 or i586) and then download the
    >> following package into a suitable directory where you will be able to
    >> find it later:
    >>
    >> madwifi-kmp-default-ng_r3314_20080131_2.6.22.16_29.1-10.1
    >>
    >> Install using rpm -Uvh madwifi*.rpm
    >>
    >> If you have no LAN (fixed line) backup Internet connectivity on your
    >> computer, then obviously you will need to download the rpm using another
    >> machine and then copy it across on a CD or some other way.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> J P Bayley

    > Great stuff and how'd you find that?--etc.

    Through some previous experience! ;-)

    Plus as I mentioned in my other post - smart shows you before you run
    the update that the module package will be uninstalled, so I then went
    looking for an updated version *before* running the update.

    > And why does this site have a later version than the MadWifi site?

    No idea. Previously the madwifi.org/suse repository used to be updated
    each time a new kernel was released through suse-update.

    Mind you, you can always download the madwifi sources and simply compile
    the driver and kernel module yourself. That way you can use vanilla or
    custom kernels and don't have to wait/search for an updated rpm to suit
    the kernel you happen to be using right now.

+ Reply to Thread