troubleshoot lockups - Suse

This is a discussion on troubleshoot lockups - Suse ; I've got a machine here running Suse 10.0 and it locks up hard about every 48 hours. I've been poking around and haven't found much but I have suspicion that the lockups are dhcp related. My question is are there ...

  1. troubleshoot lockups

    I've got a machine here running Suse 10.0 and it locks up hard about
    every 48 hours. I've been poking around and haven't found much but I
    have suspicion that the lockups are dhcp related. My question is are
    there any tips on how to go about troubleshooting this? I've looked at
    log files and found nothing. Which logs should I be looking at and what
    should I look for? I'm assuming that there should be something in a log
    somewhere that should help track this down. I have several other
    machines here running older Suse versions and a couple of windows
    machines all running fine.

    I realize this may be a little vague and I'd be happy to elaborate on
    any point. I'm just trying to get the ball rolling so I can make some
    progress.

  2. Re: troubleshoot lockups

    stan wrote:
    > I've got a machine here running Suse 10.0 and it locks up hard about
    > every 48 hours. I've been poking around and haven't found much but I
    > have suspicion that the lockups are dhcp related. My question is are
    > there any tips on how to go about troubleshooting this? I've looked at
    > log files and found nothing. Which logs should I be looking at and what
    > should I look for? I'm assuming that there should be something in a log
    > somewhere that should help track this down. I have several other
    > machines here running older Suse versions and a couple of windows
    > machines all running fine.
    >
    > I realize this may be a little vague and I'd be happy to elaborate on
    > any point. I'm just trying to get the ball rolling so I can make some
    > progress.

    I had problems with some screen savers locking the desktop with 10.0.
    Can you telnet or ssh in from another box while its locked. If you can,
    run top and see if one of the screen saver programs is 100% cpu.

    Jeff Coffield

  3. Re: troubleshoot lockups

    Jeffrey H. Coffield wrote:
    > stan wrote:

    > I had problems with some screen savers locking the desktop with 10.0.
    > Can you telnet or ssh in from another box while its locked. If you can,
    > run top and see if one of the screen saver programs is 100% cpu.

    No I can't ssh in when it locks. It's a hard lock and only responds to a
    hardware reset. The screen saver idea is interesting because my system is
    set to the default random screen saver. They change often so it may help
    explain why it takes about 48 hours.

    I mentioned in my original post that I thought it might be DHCP related
    but now I can't say why I think that. I do see that the machine
    disappears from the router when it locks up.

  4. Re: troubleshoot lockups

    stan wrote:

    > Jeffrey H. Coffield wrote:
    >> stan wrote:

    >> I had problems with some screen savers locking the desktop with 10.0.
    >> Can you telnet or ssh in from another box while its locked. If you can,
    >> run top and see if one of the screen saver programs is 100% cpu.

    > No I can't ssh in when it locks. It's a hard lock and only responds to a
    > hardware reset. The screen saver idea is interesting because my system is
    > set to the default random screen saver. They change often so it may help
    > explain why it takes about 48 hours.
    >
    > I mentioned in my original post that I thought it might be DHCP related
    > but now I can't say why I think that. I do see that the machine
    > disappears from the router when it locks up.

    Have you already ruled out hardware such as power supply, fans, cpu,
    ethernet card, modem, video card or memory? How about brownouts in areas
    that run more electricity because of heat or cold? Did you add any
    peripherals that might be on another house circuit outlet thus creating a
    ground lock loop?

    What changed software wise since you noticed the condition?

    Is it possible to disconnect from the Internet or your local network (if you
    have one) for 48 or more hours to see if that cures the lockup? I know I
    can't otherwise I will go through withdrawal symptoms, but if you can it
    might narrow things down.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com