(OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech - Suse

This is a discussion on (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech - Suse ; [Please note: FU set to colm...] IMO, yet another subtle signal that GPL/FOSS/Linux is a primetime player: Nokia said on Monday it would offer 16 crowns for each share in Norway's software firm, compared with Trolltech shares closing price of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech

    [Please note: FU set to colm...]

    IMO, yet another subtle signal that GPL/FOSS/Linux is a primetime player:

    Nokia said on Monday it would offer 16 crowns for each share in
    Norway's software firm, compared with Trolltech shares closing price
    of 10 crowns on Friday.

    More:

    http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...51971420080128

  2. Re: (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:15:37 +0000, Harold Stevens wrote:

    > Nokia said on Monday it would offer

    Offer != Purchase

    Really, that was a quite sensationalist subject line...

    --
    PGP Key: 0xBD652112

  3. Re: (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech

    In article , draeath wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:15:37 +0000, Harold Stevens wrote:
    >
    >> Nokia said on Monday it would offer

    > Offer != Purchase
    >
    > Really, that was a quite sensationalist subject line...

    Maybe, but if you're holding shares of a company that trades for 10 on the
    market and someone comes along and offers you 16, what'cha gonna do - spit in
    his eye ? :-)

    W.

  4. Re: (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech

    watcher@moog.netaxs.com wrote:
    > Maybe, but if you're holding shares of a company that trades for 10 on the
    > market and someone comes along and offers you 16, what'cha gonna do - spit in
    > his eye ? :-)

    If it were Microsoft, I would piss against his legs. Also it could very
    well be that I were absolutely not interested in selleing the company,
    because I think it is either worth much more then what the current
    market is willing to give, or I am emotionaly attached to it, or the
    payout is not enough to keep me alive and the income of the company is.

    So yes, it could very well be that I would not accept the offer.

    houghi
    --
    Remind me to write an article on the compulsive reading of news. The
    theme will be that most neuroses can be traced to the unhealthy habit

  5. Re: (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 15:05:23 +0000, watcher wrote:

    > Maybe, but if you're holding shares of a company that trades for 10 on
    > the market and someone comes along and offers you 16, what'cha gonna do
    > - spit in his eye ? :-)
    >
    > W.

    Yes, if I had an interest in maintaining control of the company and it's
    assets.

    --
    PGP Key: 0xBD652112

  6. Re: (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech

    Wha?! I like my Nokia bricks. Sturdy, good signal, and long battery life. I
    can't stand thin delicate little jap and american origami phones. My hand
    trembles trying to hold a razr its so freaking un-ergonomic.
    _______________
    hello friend!
    Please don't reply to me about: top, bottom, or middle posting, grammar,
    spelling. Thank you!

    > :
    > : Maybe.
    > : I never liked Nokia anyhow.
    > : They make crappy phones.
    >

    > Nokia phones are for girls.

  7. Re: (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech

    In article ,
    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > See the problem though is that it's going to take a few months to find
    > out if that will be the case or not. I and other developers can't wait
    > that long and for many people, myself included, a Nokia owned QT is not
    > appealing.

    What problem(s) do you have with a Nokia-owned QT?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  8. Re: (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >> See the problem though is that it's going to take a few months to find
    >> out if that will be the case or not. I and other developers can't wait
    >> that long and for many people, myself included, a Nokia owned QT is not
    >> appealing.

    > What problem(s) do you have with a Nokia-owned QT?

    Nokia are /very/ precious about their software - you can be sure that qt
    would go "closed" very quickly.

    C.

  9. Re: (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech

    Christopher Hunter espoused:
    > Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Stephan Rose wrote:
    >>> See the problem though is that it's going to take a few months to find
    >>> out if that will be the case or not. I and other developers can't wait
    >>> that long and for many people, myself included, a Nokia owned QT is not
    >>> appealing.

    >> What problem(s) do you have with a Nokia-owned QT?

    > Nokia are /very/ precious about their software - you can be sure that qt
    > would go "closed" very quickly.

    Maybe, but then the maemo platform is very much the opposite. QT is
    currently licensed under GPLv3, I believe, so Nokia cannot stop that
    from being licensed in this way, as it's already out. Whether Nokia
    choose to attempt to maintain an independent fork using just their own
    resources, or they try to do something community-based, remains to be
    seen. To a great extent, this could depend on whether the acquisition
    has been driven by Ari Jaaksi's N810 side, or the Symbian side.

  10. Re: (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech

    takeout schreef:
    > Wha?! I like my Nokia bricks. Sturdy, good signal, and long battery
    > life. I can't stand thin delicate little jap and american origami
    > phones. My hand trembles trying to hold a razr its so freaking
    > un-ergonomic.
    > _______________
    > hello friend!
    > Please don't reply to me about: top, bottom, or middle posting, grammar,
    > spelling. Thank you!
    >
    >> :
    >> : Maybe.
    >> : I never liked Nokia anyhow.
    >> : They make crappy phones.
    >>

    >> Nokia phones are for girls.

    Please do not top post

  11. Re: (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech

    On 2008-01-28 20:52, takeout wrote:

    > hello friend!
    > Please don't reply to me about: top, bottom, or middle posting, grammar,
    > spelling. Thank you!

    Then say "hello !friend" , if you will do it your way.

    /bb

  12. Re: (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:52:53 -0700, takeout wrote:

    >hello friend!
    >Please don't reply to me about: top, bottom, or middle posting, grammar,
    >spelling. Thank you!

    Hello, dumb****tard!
    Goddamned top posting Usenet retard! This ain't email, you stupid ****!
    Get a clue. **** you! :-/

  13. Re: (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech

    I love you.

    and look, you didnt have to scroll way the hell down through redundant old
    messages to find out!! you're welcome. ahahahah
    _______________

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:52:53 -0700, takeout wrote:
    >
    >> hello friend!
    >> Please don't reply to me about: top, bottom, or middle posting, grammar,
    >> spelling. Thank you!

    > Hello, dumb****tard!
    > Goddamned top posting Usenet retard! This ain't email, you stupid ****!
    > Get a clue. **** you! :-/

  14. Re: (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech

    In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.misc,
    takeout didnst hastily scribble thusly:
    > I love you.

    > and look, you didnt have to scroll way the hell down through redundant old
    > messages to find out!! you're welcome. ahahahah

    but you DID continue to quote the old crap you didn't want to respond to.
    That's what is wrong with top posting.
    Before you know it, you've got 10 megs worth of redundant CRAP in your
    article.
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  15. Re: (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:20:57 -0700 takeout wrote:

    > hello friend!
    > Please don't reply to me about: top, bottom, or middle posting,

    Idiot.

  16. Re: (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech

    takeout wrote:

    >I love you.
    >
    >and look, you didnt have to scroll way the hell down through redundant old
    >messages to find out!! you're welcome. ahahahah
    >_______________
    >hello friend!
    >Please don't reply to me about: top, bottom, or middle posting, grammar,
    >spelling. Thank you!

    Stupid top poster.

    *plonk*

  17. Re: (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech

    takeout wrote:

    > and look, you didnt have to scroll way the hell down through
    > redundant old messages to find out!! you're welcome. ahahahah

    irrelevant material. See the following links:

    --

    (taming google)
    (newusers)

  18. Re: (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
    > with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all
    > irrelevant material.

    /Please/ don't try to "police" this group - you'll just get lots of abuse
    from the usual suspects!

    C.

  19. Re: (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech

    Christopher Hunter espoused:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
    >> with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all
    >> irrelevant material.

    > /Please/ don't try to "police" this group - you'll just get lots of abuse
    > from the usual suspects!

    I just delete top-posters, and kfile repeat offenders.

  20. Re: (OT) Nokia Buys Trolltech

    CBFalconer writes:

    > takeout wrote:
    >>
    >> and look, you didnt have to scroll way the hell down through
    >> redundant old messages to find out!! you're welcome. ahahahah

    > Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
    > with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all
    > irrelevant material. See the following links:
    >
    > --
    >

    > (taming google)
    > (newusers)

    You are still posting with two signatures.

    If you are going to net nanny then put your own house in order first you
    pedantic simpleton.

    Also do NOT put information links relevant to your message body in a
    signature. If you properly delimited your signature then news readers
    would remove them and make your arsy advice to refer to your .sig
    useless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast