Re: Changing over to Linux Completely. - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: Changing over to Linux Completely. - Suse ; On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 08:43 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote: > Chris Cox wrote: > > > Nikos Chantziaras wrote: > >> Chris Cox wrote: > >>>> 4. With regards to multimedia, what is a good way to get the mp3's ...

  1. Re: Changing over to Linux Completely.

    On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 08:43 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    >
    > > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    > >> They don't work out of the box. By replacing the default packages of
    > >> Amarok-xine and all their friends, you stop getting patches for those.
    > >> So if you want patches through Online Update, you have to give up MP3.
    > >> If you want MP3, you have to give up Online Update and do updates
    > >> manually.

    > Bull****
    >
    > > True... but this IS openSUSE... so Online Updates may not be nearly
    > > as important as full version upgrades. As you said, MP3's don't
    > > work anyhow... so nothing to update there via openSUSE's update
    > > repos.

    > You might ask my install why it does play MP3s then

    Hmmm... so there's a discrepancy? Tell you the truth, I can't say since
    I usually add the additional repos. I thought it might work out of
    the box now... can anyone else confirm?

  2. Re: Changing over to Linux Completely.

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:03:51 -0600, Chris Cox wrote:

    > On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 08:43 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >> Chris Cox wrote:

    >> Bull****
    >>
    >> > True... but this IS openSUSE... so Online Updates may not be nearly
    >> > as important as full version upgrades. As you said, MP3's don't work
    >> > anyhow... so nothing to update there via openSUSE's update repos.

    >> You might ask my install why it does play MP3s then

    > Hmmm... so there's a discrepancy? Tell you the truth, I can't say since
    > I usually add the additional repos. I thought it might work out of the
    > box now... can anyone else confirm?

    from the release notes :

    Playing MP3 Files in Kaffeine

    When you open an MP3 file in Kaffeine, you will see an error message
    telling you that the software required to play this file is not
    installed. openSUSE then offers to search for a suitable codec which you
    can install with YaST. You can also switch the engine from Xine to
    Gstreamer by clicking "Settings" -> "Player Engine" to get MP3 support.

  3. Re: Changing over to Linux Completely.

    On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 08:03 +0000, graham wrote:
    > from the release notes :
    >
    > Playing MP3 Files in Kaffeine
    >
    > When you open an MP3 file in Kaffeine, you will see an error message
    > telling you that the software required to play this file is not
    > installed. openSUSE then offers to search for a suitable codec which you
    > can install with YaST. You can also switch the engine from Xine to
    > Gstreamer by clicking "Settings" -> "Player Engine" to get MP3 support.

    Makes sense.. thanks for clarifying. Again, not an issue for those
    using the "fixed" versions of things.

  4. Re: Changing over to Linux Completely.

    At work I use Windowze. And there ONLY. (My company uses this Custom
    made program and it runs on that "W" crap.) For anything else I have been
    using Linux since the days of Red Hat 7. Switched over to Suse at 9.3
    and now use 10.3.

    I take a Trillion pictures every month, play, download and burn music and
    make backup copies of my DVD movies. ALL in Linux! I don't know how to
    do this in Windowz! And I don't want to know!!!

    I get a new Toughbook every January (Panasonic CF-52) is the latest.
    (I partition the harddrive and install the current version of OpenSuse.)
    So I run Windows and Linux on my laptops. They work like a charm. I
    must be lucky for I rarely have any problems. The couple of issues I had
    have been solved by asking on-line. (Google, etc.)

    What I know about Linux can be written on my pinki nail. If I can do it,
    why go back to the backward days of Windowz?
    So take it for what it is worth. Wish you the best

    RR

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:31:11 -0600, Chris Cox wrote:

    > On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 08:03 +0000, graham wrote: ...
    >> from the release notes :
    >>
    >> Playing MP3 Files in Kaffeine
    >>
    >> When you open an MP3 file in Kaffeine, you will see an error message
    >> telling you that the software required to play this file is not
    >> installed. openSUSE then offers to search for a suitable codec which
    >> you can install with YaST. You can also switch the engine from Xine to
    >> Gstreamer by clicking "Settings" -> "Player Engine" to get MP3 support.

    > Makes sense.. thanks for clarifying. Again, not an issue for those
    > using the "fixed" versions of things.

  5. Re: Changing over to Linux Completely.

    Riberto writes:

    >At work I use Windowze. And there ONLY. (My company uses this Custom
    >made program and it runs on that "W" crap.) For anything else I have been
    >using Linux since the days of Red Hat 7. Switched over to Suse at 9.3
    >and now use 10.3.

    >I take a Trillion pictures every month, play, download and burn music and
    >make backup copies of my DVD movies. ALL in Linux! I don't know how to
    >do this in Windowz! And I don't want to know!!!

    >I get a new Toughbook every January (Panasonic CF-52) is the latest.
    >(I partition the harddrive and install the current version of OpenSuse.)
    >So I run Windows and Linux on my laptops. They work like a charm. I
    >must be lucky for I rarely have any problems. The couple of issues I had
    >have been solved by asking on-line. (Google, etc.)

    The Panasonic toughbooks seem to be very Linux friendly. I have a W2 and
    had no trouble at all. The parts ( sound, wireless, screen) are all linux
    friendly. The only problem is that I have to reboot to bring up an external
    monitor, or run under apm, rather than acpi.
    Not all laptops are as friendly. My son had an LG T1, where the ethernet
    card would not work ( the wireless was fine)-- turns out they use a totally
    weird ethernet card, but there was a driver I found on the net.

    >What I know about Linux can be written on my pinki nail. If I can do it,
    >why go back to the backward days of Windowz?
    >So take it for what it is worth. Wish you the best

    >RR

    >On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:31:11 -0600, Chris Cox wrote:

    >> On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 08:03 +0000, graham wrote: ...
    >>> from the release notes :
    >>>
    >>> Playing MP3 Files in Kaffeine
    >>>
    >>> When you open an MP3 file in Kaffeine, you will see an error message
    >>> telling you that the software required to play this file is not
    >>> installed. openSUSE then offers to search for a suitable codec which
    >>> you can install with YaST. You can also switch the engine from Xine to
    >>> Gstreamer by clicking "Settings" -> "Player Engine" to get MP3 support.

    >> Makes sense.. thanks for clarifying. Again, not an issue for those
    >> using the "fixed" versions of things.

+ Reply to Thread