Help 10.3 a mess After YOU Upgrade - Suse

This is a discussion on Help 10.3 a mess After YOU Upgrade - Suse ; On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 07:41:29 UTC, "Rajko M." wrote: > PaulRS wrote: > > > On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 02:08:03 UTC, "Rajko M." > > wrote: > > > > Here are copies of the two current "menu.lst" ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 32 of 32

  1. Re: Help 10.3 a mess After YOU Upgrade

    wrote:

> [...]
    > > initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.5-31-default
    > >
    > > ----------------------------
    > > Now - PLAY (the one being used)
    > > ------------------------------
    > >
    > > # Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Wed Jan 23 19:32:57 UTC 2008
    > > default 0
    > > timeout 8
    > > gfxmenu (hd0,7)/boot/message
    > >
    > > title MAIN OpenSUSE 10.3
    > > root (hd0,7)
    > > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.5-31-default root=/dev/sda6 vga=0x31a
    > > resume=/dev/sda5 splash=silent showopts
    > > initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.5-31-default
    > >
    > > ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
    > > windows###
    > > title PC-DOS
    > > rootnoverify (hd0,7)
    > > chainloader (hd0,0)+1
    > >
    > > ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
    > > linux###
    > > title PLAY openSUSE 10.3
    > > root (hd0,7)
    > > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.5-31-default
    > > root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3250820A_9QE5QMY9-part8 vga=0x31a
    > > resume=/dev/sda5 splash=silent showopts
    > > initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.5-31-default
    > >
    > > ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
    > > floppy###
    > > title Floppy
    > > rootnoverify (hd0,7)
    > > chainloader (fd0)+1
    > >
    > > ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
    > > failsafe###
    > > title Failsafe -- openSUSE 10.3
    > > root (hd0,7)
    > > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.5-31-default root=/dev/sda6 vga=normal
    > > showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0
    > > edd=off 3
    > > initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.5-31-default
    > >
    > > Hope this helps
    > > Paul

    > Yes it does. It seems that I have to search for answers again.
    > I have root(hd0,x) entries different, but it works fine.
    > I have to see why and now is to late for any research and experiments.
    > If I do wrong change it will prevent booting and than I have to use
    > Knoppix Live CD to rever change, so I have to do that tomorrow.
    >
    > The only thing that I see right now is reference to file
    > /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.5-31-default
    > instead of
    > /boot/vmlinuz
    > and the same is for initrd-2.6.22.5-31-default.
    >
    > See do you have symlinks vmlinuz and initrd and where they point to,
    > in MAIN instalation /boot directory.
    > If you have them on MAIN than use only /boot/vmlinuz in PLAY menu.lst
    > like this:
    >
    > title MAIN OpenSUSE 10.3
    > root (hd0,7)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 vga=0x31a resume=/dev/sda5 splash=silent showopts
    > initrd /boot/initrd
    >
    > Don't change the entry for PLAY for now because if there is no symlinks
    > it can make system unable to boot.
    > I have to see will 'mkinitrd' recreate symlinks, but that also tomorrow.

    OK - I also did some experimentation - not sure if the conclusions are
    right

    First - I can get into my installations with a "Rescue CD"
    (1) I renamed the current working menu.lst (for easy fix if
    experiemnt does not work)
    (2) In each installation there are symlinks "vmlinuz" & "initrd" -
    They point to the installed default kernel (At this point both
    installations are out of the box default with current updates (YOU)
    minus the updated kernel)
    (3) I modified the working "menu.lst" as shown below

    SEE NOTES BELOW THIS for further explainations of my "thoughts"

    # Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Wed Jan 23 19:32:57 UTC 2008
    default 0
    timeout 8
    gfxmenu (hd0,7)/boot/message

    title MAIN OpenSUSE 10.3
    root (hd0,5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 vga=0x31a resume=/dev/sda5
    splash=silent showopts
    initrd /boot/initrd

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
    windows###
    title PC-DOS
    rootnoverify (hd0,7)
    chainloader (hd0,0)+1

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
    linux###
    title PLAY openSUSE 10.3
    root (hd0,7)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda8 vga=0x31a resume=/dev/sda5
    splash=silent showopts
    initrd /boot/initrd

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
    floppy###
    title Floppy
    rootnoverify (hd0,7)
    chainloader (fd0)+1

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
    failsafe###
    title Failsafe -- openSUSE 10.3
    root (hd0,7)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 vga=normal showopts ide=nodma
    apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off 3
    initrd /boot/initrd

    NOTES
    (1) MAIN had the entry "root (hd0,7) I believe that this was telling
    it to boot everything from the PLAY installation on sda8 and not from
    its own sda6 /boot directory. So I changed this entry to "root
    (hd0,5)" It works!

    (2) Since the symlinks are present, I directed the entries to the
    symlinks as you can see. This also works!

    (3) The PC-DOS, Floppy, and Failsafe entries were all left with
    "root (hd0,7) as this is the partition that GRUB in the MBR points to
    and the menu.lst that it uses.

    NOW, it remains to be seen what happens if I let "YOU" upgrade my
    kernel. I have made partition images of sda6,7,8,9 (both
    installations) for easy replacement using the Rescue-CD's Partimage.

    I am trusting the if the "YOU" upgrade of the kernel makes new
    symlinks to the new kernel and does not modify the real menu.lst, that
    I can upgrade the kernel separately in both installations without
    problems. This is my next experiment.

    Paul

    --

  2. Re: Help 10.3 a mess After YOU Upgrade

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 07:41:29 UTC, "Rajko M."
    wrote:

    Results of Experiment

    I tried the experiment in the earlier post with success afterwards.
    Here is what I found.

    (1) My menu.lst was the revised symlink one in the post above this.

    (2) I ran YOU for the kernel in PLAY sda8 where the real menu.lst
    resides.
    (a) It does upgrade symlinks in /boot
    (b) NOTE: It also rewrites menu.lst adding real names not the
    symlinks
    - it added itself to the top of the menu: TITLE openSuSE 10.3
    .. . . default
    - it added the rest also with the full kernel and initrd
    names
    - it left the rest alone MAIN, PLAY, etc/

    (3) Before I rebooted I RESTORED my edited menu.lst (post above)

    (4) It rebooted fine - success

    (5) I then rebooted to MAIN - nothing there had been touched

    (6) I ran YOU again upgrading the kernel - it came out as #2 a,b
    above. The menu.lst here is not the one being used.

    (7) I mounted /sda8 (PLAY) in /mnt to see if any changes had been made
    there - all OK

    (8) Even though menu.lst is not used in sda6 (MAIN) I copied the REAL
    edited symlink (working) menu.lst from PLAY to MAIN.

    (9) I then rebooted MAIN ----- SUCCESS!

    My only question is where would YOU have written if I had not changed
    root(hd0,7) in MAIN to root(hd0,5) where MAIN'S files are to be
    found?????

    Paul

    --

  3. Re: Help 10.3 a mess After YOU Upgrade

    PaulRS wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 07:41:29 UTC, "Rajko M."
    > wrote:
    >
    > Results of Experiment
    >
    > I tried the experiment in the earlier post with success afterwards.
    > Here is what I found.
    >
    > (1) My menu.lst was the revised symlink one in the post above this.
    >
    > (2) I ran YOU for the kernel in PLAY sda8 where the real menu.lst
    > resides.
    > (a) It does upgrade symlinks in /boot
    > (b) NOTE: It also rewrites menu.lst adding real names not the
    > symlinks
    > - it added itself to the top of the menu: TITLE openSuSE 10.3
    > . . . default
    > - it added the rest also with the full kernel and initrd
    > names
    > - it left the rest alone MAIN, PLAY, etc/
    >
    > (3) Before I rebooted I RESTORED my edited menu.lst (post above)
    >
    > (4) It rebooted fine - success

    As expected.
    With initrd and vmlinuz symlinks it must work.

    > (5) I then rebooted to MAIN - nothing there had been touched

    Also as expected.

    > (6) I ran YOU again upgrading the kernel - it came out as #2 a,b
    > above. The menu.lst here is not the one being used.
    >
    > (7) I mounted /sda8 (PLAY) in /mnt to see if any changes had been made
    > there - all OK

    I guess 'all OK' means 'no changes'.

    > (8) Even though menu.lst is not used in sda6 (MAIN) I copied the REAL
    > edited symlink (working) menu.lst from PLAY to MAIN.
    >
    > (9) I then rebooted MAIN ----- SUCCESS!

    My guess is that it was using PLAY menu.lst. Is that right?

    > My only question is where would YOU have written if I had not changed
    > root(hd0,7) in MAIN to root(hd0,5) where MAIN'S files are to be
    > found?????
    >
    > Paul

    I got to check meaning of 'root (hd0,x)' directive to be sure how it is
    used.

    For instance, without check this looks strange and that is what I have in my
    menu.lst:
    title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,2)
    chainloader (hd0,0)+1
    For what reason rootnoverify points to Linux partition (hd0,2).
    The directive rootnoverify suppose to tell GRUB not to verify Windows
    partition, ie:
    title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader (hd0,0)+1

    BTW, the same I can see in both of your menu.lst, and that doesn't help me
    to feel confident that whoever wrote script that updates menu.lst knows all
    directives better than I do.

    What I know is that perl script that is updating menu.lst is looking only
    for files in currently running system. That was part of the problem with
    kernel update on previous installation of PLAY system. The menu.lst on MAIN
    system wasn't touched and GRUB attempted to boot something. That also I
    have to clarify to myself first. I haven't even started to look, as I have
    not much time during work days.

    Anyway, congratulations, as you just started to have a fun. Making backups
    is the whole trick to feel good while playing, and you managed that on you
    own.

    --
    Regards, Rajko.
    See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal

  4. Re: Help 10.3 a mess After YOU Upgrade

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 03:33:33 UTC, "Rajko M."
    wrote:

> [...]

    > title Windows
    > rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    > chainloader (hd0,0)+1
    >
    > BTW, the same I can see in both of your menu.lst, and that doesn't help me
    > to feel confident that whoever wrote script that updates menu.lst knows all
    > directives better than I do.
    >
    > What I know is that perl script that is updating menu.lst is looking only
    > for files in currently running system. That was part of the problem with
    > kernel update on previous installation of PLAY system. The menu.lst on MAIN
    > system wasn't touched and GRUB attempted to boot something. That also I
    > have to clarify to myself first. I haven't even started to look, as I have
    > not much time during work days.
    >
    > Anyway, congratulations, as you just started to have a fun. Making backups
    > is the whole trick to feel good while playing, and you managed that on you

    AGAIN, Thanks for all your help - you helped me to "stick to it." If
    you find out about "root (hd,x)" let me know. The info grub on this
    is not very informative. BTW I am in Seattle WA USA - by our
    different schedules, I assume you are on the other side of the world -
    right?

    Thanks again,
    Paul - The fun has begun!

    --

  5. Re: Help 10.3 a mess After YOU Upgrade

    PaulRS wrote:

    > AGAIN, Thanks for all your help - you helped me to "stick to it." *If
    > you find out about "root (hd,x)" let me know. *The info grub on this
    > is not very informative. *

    I know. That is why I want to see exactly.
    I'll post it here and to your email.

    > BTW I am in Seattle WA USA - by our
    > different schedules, I assume you are on the other side of the world -
    > right?

    A little bit closer :-)

    http://news.opensuse.org/category/people-of-opensuse/

    > Thanks again,
    > Paul *- The fun has begun!

    True !

    --
    Regards, Rajko.
    See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal

  6. Re: Help 10.3 a mess After YOU Upgrade

    Rajko M. wrote:

    > PaulRS wrote:
    >
    >> AGAIN, Thanks for all your help - you helped me to "stick to it." *If
    >> you find out about "root (hd,x)" let me know. *The info grub on this
    >> is not very informative.

    > I know. That is why I want to see exactly.
    > I'll post it here and to your email.
    >
    >> BTW I am in Seattle WA USA - by our
    >> different schedules, I assume you are on the other side of the world -
    >> right?

    > A little bit closer :-)
    >
    > http://news.opensuse.org/category/people-of-opensuse/
    >

    >> Thanks again,
    >> Paul *- The fun has begun!

    > True !

    I found one article that is explaining what is root(hd0,x).

    It points to boot partition where GRUB can find it's files.
    It can be separate boot partition, or as we use one installation for that
    purpose it will point to installation that is used to store GRUB files that
    are currently used.

    http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/arc...php/t-944.html
    the answer by 'themachine/.

    So correct settings for last installation would be root(hd0,7).

    --
    Regards, Rajko.
    See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal

  7. Re: Help 10.3 a mess After YOU Upgrade

    On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 05:04:27 UTC, "Rajko M."
    wrote:

    > Rajko M. wrote:
    >
    > > PaulRS wrote:
    > >
    > >> AGAIN, Thanks for all your help - you helped me to "stick to it." *If
    > >> you find out about "root (hd,x)" let me know. *The info grub on this
    > >> is not very informative.

    > > I know. That is why I want to see exactly.
    > > I'll post it here and to your email.
    > >
    > >> BTW I am in Seattle WA USA - by our
    > >> different schedules, I assume you are on the other side of the world -
    > >> right?

    > > A little bit closer :-)
    > >
    > > http://news.opensuse.org/category/people-of-opensuse/
    > >

    > >> Thanks again,
    > >> Paul *- The fun has begun!

    > > True !
    > >

    > I found one article that is explaining what is root(hd0,x).
    >
    > It points to boot partition where GRUB can find it's files.
    > It can be separate boot partition, or as we use one installation for that
    > purpose it will point to installation that is used to store GRUB files that
    > are currently used.
    >
    > http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/arc...php/t-944.html
    > the answer by 'themachine/.
    >
    > So correct settings for last installation would be root(hd0,7).

    Thanks! --Regards, Paul
    --

  8. Re: Help 10.3 a mess After YOU Upgrade

    wrote:

    > Rajko M. wrote:
    >

    > I found one article that is explaining what is root(hd0,x).
    >
    > It points to boot partition where GRUB can find it's files.
    > It can be separate boot partition, or as we use one installation for that
    > purpose it will point to installation that is used to store GRUB files that
    > are currently used.
    >
    > http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/arc...php/t-944.html
    > the answer by 'themachine/.
    >
    > So correct settings for last installation would be root(hd0,7).

    The URL you listed must have a mistake - It comes up not found.

    Also, Your finding confirms my suspicions. GRUB(MBR) sends to the
    last installed partition (in this case (hd0,7) ) for stage 1.5 and
    stage 2 - the menu.lst. From the menu.lst it goes to the options.

    Both partitions could boot from the GRUB files in (hd0,7) or if the
    files are kept in sync, from either (hd0,7) or (hd0,5). GRUB(MBR)
    will send initially to stage 1.5 & 2 in (hd0,7)

    There is also a problem: if the installation in (hd0,7) gets corrupted
    (or some problem) neither partition could boot because (hd0,5) gets
    its info from (hd0,7)

    Thanks,
    Paul

    --

  9. Re: Help 10.3 a mess After YOU Upgrade

    PaulRS wrote:

    > The URL you listed must have a mistake - It comes up not found.

    I just tried it again and it comes up.
    It could be temporary problem on server.

    --
    Regards, Rajko.
    See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal

  10. Re: Help 10.3 a mess After YOU Upgrade

    On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 05:28:38 UTC, "Rajko M."
    wrote:

    > PaulRS wrote:
    >
    > > The URL you listed must have a mistake - It comes up not found.
    > >

    > I just tried it again and it comes up.
    > It could be temporary problem on server.

    I tried again and got it - excellent tuitorial on GRUB - I printed it
    out for reference

    --

  11. Re: Help 10.3 a mess After YOU Upgrade

    Rajko M. wrote:
    > I found one article that is explaining what is root(hd0,x).
    >
    > It points to boot partition where GRUB can find it's files.
    > It can be separate boot partition, or as we use one installation for that
    > purpose it will point to installation that is used to store GRUB files
    > that are currently used.
    >
    > http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/arc...php/t-944.html
    > the answer by 'themachine/.
    >
    > So correct settings for last installation would be root(hd0,7).

    Now is time to be a bit more precise.

    I just finished small experiment. This essential part of menu.lst.

    default 1
    timeout 8
    gfxmenu (hd0,2)/boot/message
    root (hd0,2) # This new added.

    title openSUSE 10.3 - 64 (boot)
    # root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=dev/sda3 vga=0x31a
    initrd /boot/initrd

    title openSUSE 10.3 32 bit
    # root (hd0,5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 vga=0x31a
    initrd /boot/initrd

    Symlinks point to kernels that are not the same version.

    1) Boot to 'openSUSE 10.3 - 64 (boot)' works fine.
    I guess that newly added root (hd0,2) below gfxmenu line is used by grub.
    Though, I got to check that again.
    2) Boot to 'openSUSE 10.3 32 bit' has a problem.
    GRUB can't find modules for kernel version that is used on 64 bit, but
    does not exist on 32 bit installation.
    That means it loaded 64 bit kernel, and that means that root (hd0,2)
    pointed GRUB to use kernel from 64 bit installation instead of those
    on (hd0,5).
    3) removing comment sign # in line with root (hd0,5) brings 32 bit system
    back.
    title openSUSE 10.3 32 bit
    root (hd0,5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 vga=0x31a
    initrd /boot/initrd

    So my menu.lst is not messy, but properly configured, with exception of
    windows section:
    title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,2) # Not good, it is used to tell GRUB not to check
    # windows root which is (hd0,0), not (hd0,2)
    chainloader (hd0,0)+1

    New is:
    title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader (hd0,0)+1

    So there is bug in script that is creating/changing menu.lst.
    I have to collect information and file bug report.

    Now your menu.lst should be like this:
[...]

    rootnoverify (fd0)
    chainloader (fd0)+1

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
    failsafe###
    title Failsafe -- openSUSE 10.3
    root (hd0,5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 vga=normal
    showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0
    edd=off 3
    initrd /boot/initrd
    I hope this time without errors :-)

    This will allow you to update kernel independently, and still everything
    will work.

    The same 'root (hd0,x)' can be used on system that has separate boot
    partition with all kernel and initrd files that are listed in menu.lst for
    each of boot options.

    For 2 separate installations that use own /boot 'root (hd0,x)' should point
    to place where relevant /boot directory is located, and that means it will
    be different for each boot option and point to the same place where points
    another root=/dev/sdax which is information for kernel where to look for
    root of file system.
    ------------------

    I hope that explanation makes sense.

    --
    Regards, Rajko.
    See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal

  12. Re: Help 10.3 a mess After YOU Upgrade

    On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 05:37:35 UTC, "Rajko M."
    wrote:

> [...]

    > root (hd0,5)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 vga=normal
    > showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0
    > edd=off 3
    > initrd /boot/initrd
    > I hope this time without errors :-)
    >
    > This will allow you to update kernel independently, and still everything
    > will work.
    >
    > The same 'root (hd0,x)' can be used on system that has separate boot
    > partition with all kernel and initrd files that are listed in menu.lst for
    > each of boot options.
    >
    > For 2 separate installations that use own /boot 'root (hd0,x)' should point
    > to place where relevant /boot directory is located, and that means it will
    > be different for each boot option and point to the same place where points
    > another root=/dev/sdax which is information for kernel where to look for

    Yes - It makes perfect sense. I still have a backup menu.lst in each
    partition with symlinks that I copy to the working menu.lst in each
    partition BECAUSE a kernel upgrade via YOU writes a precise kernel
    file and makes the reference to root(hd0,x) the same as the upgraded
    partition. This is what you saw as the possible "bug." It is
    probably only a "bug" to those like us who have two (or more) SuSE
    installations on the same computer and boot from MBR.

    DIGRESSION: Before this installation I used OS/2 Boot Manager and it
    pointed to the /boot of each installation with no problems. However,
    it seems that after I installed GRUB on the MBR no matter how I tried
    to get OS/2 Boot Manager to install on this 250 GB drive, it would
    not. I used a rescue disk to reclaim the MBR, DOS, Even Win2000, but
    OS/2's Boot manager would say it was installed and show it in the
    LVM.EXE partitioning software. However, at reboot, the screen went
    black and BIOS lost the HD.
    In any case, I now understand GRUB a bit better and am using it on
    the MBR with the precautions we have discovered.
    Thanks,
    Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2