nvidia tv out - Suse

This is a discussion on nvidia tv out - Suse ; Hi All! I've got an NVIDIA 8500 GT PCI-Express and want to get the tv-out to work (I want to use mythtv on the tv while using the computer for other things). Any hints or an xorg.conf that I can ...

  1. nvidia tv out

    Hi All!

    I've got an NVIDIA 8500 GT PCI-Express and want to get the tv-out to
    work (I want to use mythtv on the tv while using the computer for other
    things). Any hints or an xorg.conf that I can use? I've googled around
    for some time without success. Perhaps it is just me not able to google
    that good...

    Anyways any pointers would be welcomed.

    opensuse 10.3 x86-64

    Thanks!

  2. Re: nvidia tv out

    Wodans wrote:

    > Hi All!
    >
    > I've got an NVIDIA 8500 GT PCI-Express and want to get the tv-out to
    > work (I want to use mythtv on the tv while using the computer for other
    > things). Any hints or an xorg.conf that I can use? I've googled around
    > for some time without success. Perhaps it is just me not able to google
    > that good...
    >
    > Anyways any pointers would be welcomed.
    >
    > opensuse 10.3 x86-64
    >
    > Thanks!

    If you have room on your hard drive i would install 10.3 32 bit and try and
    do what you want with both, you might find there is more software avaliable
    with the 32 bit version.

  3. Re: nvidia tv out

    I use nvidia-settings. You can configure the tv out as a clone of your desktop,
    or as a separate display. Beware tv max res is 1024x768, so if you clone and
    your desktop is higher res then you get panning on the tv.

    --
    _______________
    hello friend!

  4. Re: nvidia tv out

    Wodans pisze:
    > Hi All!
    >
    > I've got an NVIDIA 8500 GT PCI-Express and want to get the tv-out to
    > work (I want to use mythtv on the tv while using the computer for other
    > things). Any hints or an xorg.conf that I can use? I've googled around
    > for some time without success. Perhaps it is just me not able to google
    > that good...
    >
    > Anyways any pointers would be welcomed.
    >
    > opensuse 10.3 x86-64
    >
    > Thanks!

    Try to download Nvidia 3d drivers - check Nvidia page, for suse they
    have special version installable by YAST, so it's very easy. You 'll
    have 3d and additionally tv-out
    Bart

  5. Re: nvidia tv out

    bartek wrote:
    > Wodans pisze:
    >> Hi All!
    >>
    >> I've got an NVIDIA 8500 GT PCI-Express and want to get the tv-out to
    >> work (I want to use mythtv on the tv while using the computer for other
    >> things). Any hints or an xorg.conf that I can use? I've googled around
    >> for some time without success. Perhaps it is just me not able to google
    >> that good...
    >>
    >> Anyways any pointers would be welcomed.
    >>
    >> opensuse 10.3 x86-64
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > Try to download Nvidia 3d drivers - check Nvidia page, for suse they
    > have special version installable by YAST, so it's very easy. You 'll
    > have 3d and additionally tv-out
    > Bart

    Thanks for the suggestions. I've got the nvidia 3d drivers However, Sax2
    or ndvidia setting are unable to detect the tv :-( (i.e. there is no
    option for tv-settings). I don't know if the tv-out option for the card
    has been disabled somehow. Currently, I'm using two monitors but the tv
    is not recognized when unplugging one of the monitors (i.e. when
    unplugging a monitor there is only settings from one monitor in Sax2 or
    nvidia-settings, even after re-bot with only one monitor and the tv
    hooked up).

  6. Re: nvidia tv out

    > Thanks for the suggestions. I've got the nvidia 3d drivers However, Sax2
    > or ndvidia setting are unable to detect the tv :-( (i.e. there is no
    > option for tv-settings). I don't know if the tv-out option for the card
    > has been disabled somehow. Currently, I'm using two monitors but the tv
    > is not recognized when unplugging one of the monitors (i.e. when
    > unplugging a monitor there is only settings from one monitor in Sax2 or
    > nvidia-settings, even after re-bot with only one monitor and the tv
    > hooked up).

    I had problems with detection, too. It was some time ago so I don't
    remember details, but I think you should connect tv, switch it on, then
    try to restart pc, and then try to click detect in nvidia settings (I
    had similar problems under suse and winXP - the card doesn't want to
    detect when I connect tv to running pc - maybe it's some nvidia issue)
    Bart

  7. Re: nvidia tv out

    bartek wrote:
    >> Thanks for the suggestions. I've got the nvidia 3d drivers However, Sax2
    >> or ndvidia setting are unable to detect the tv :-( (i.e. there is no
    >> option for tv-settings). I don't know if the tv-out option for the card
    >> has been disabled somehow. Currently, I'm using two monitors but the tv
    >> is not recognized when unplugging one of the monitors (i.e. when
    >> unplugging a monitor there is only settings from one monitor in Sax2 or
    >> nvidia-settings, even after re-bot with only one monitor and the tv
    >> hooked up).
    >>

    > I had problems with detection, too. It was some time ago so I don't
    > remember details, but I think you should connect tv, switch it on, then
    > try to restart pc, and then try to click detect in nvidia settings (I
    > had similar problems under suse and winXP - the card doesn't want to
    > detect when I connect tv to running pc - maybe it's some nvidia issue)
    > Bart

    Thanks for your suggestions. I've managed to get the tv (NTSC) to work
    :-) Though, my next problem is to fit the image to the tv monitor. For
    now I the desktop doesn't fit the tv. It is like the corners of the
    desktop have been cut off. Paying with the resolution has not helped...
    Any suggestions?

    I've posted sections of my xorg.conf

    Thanks

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout0"
    Screen 0 "Screen0" 1024 0
    Screen 1 "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

    Section "Files"
    RgbPath "/usr/lib64/X11/rgb"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "type1"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection

    Section "ServerFlags"

    # Removed Option "Xinerama" "0"
    # Removed Option "Xinerama" "1"
    Option "Xinerama" "0"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    ModelName "Proview"
    HorizSync 30.0 - 80.0
    VertRefresh 60.0 - 75.0
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor1"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    ModelName "TV-0"
    HorizSync 30.0 - 68.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 120.0
    ModeLine "720x480" 34.6 720 752 840 928 480 484 488 504
    -hsync -vsync
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName "GeForce 8500 GT"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen 0
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard1"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName "GeForce 8500 GT"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen 1
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Videocard0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Option "TwinView" "0"
    Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-1"
    Option "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"

    # Removed Option "metamodes" "TV: 720x480 +0+0"
    # Removed Option "metamodes" "TV: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    # Removed Option "metamodes" "TV: 800x600 +0+0"
    # Removed Option "metamodes" "TV: 800x600 +0+0; TV: 640x480 +0+0"
    Identifier "Screen1"
    Device "Videocard1"
    Monitor "Monitor1"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Option "TwinView" "0"
    Option "metamodes" "TV: nvidia-auto-select +1+1; TV:
    720x480 +0+0; TV: 512x384 +0+0"
    EndSection

  8. Re: nvidia tv out

    Wodans wrote:
> [...]

    > Monitor "Monitor0"
    > DefaultDepth 24
    > Option "TwinView" "0"
    > Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-1"
    > Option "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 24
    > EndSubSection
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "Screen"
    >
    > # Removed Option "metamodes" "TV: 720x480 +0+0"
    > # Removed Option "metamodes" "TV: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    > # Removed Option "metamodes" "TV: 800x600 +0+0"
    > # Removed Option "metamodes" "TV: 800x600 +0+0; TV: 640x480 +0+0"
    > Identifier "Screen1"
    > Device "Videocard1"
    > Monitor "Monitor1"
    > DefaultDepth 24
    > Option "TwinView" "0"
    > Option "metamodes" "TV: nvidia-auto-select +1+1; TV: 720x480

    AFAIK tv max res is 1024x768. If you are cloning your desktop display to the tv
    display, it probably won't fit and it will use panning on the tv display. If you
    don't like that set both displays to the same resolution. Or configure the tv
    display as a separate desktop.

    --
    _______________
    hello friend!
    Please don't reply to me about: top, bottom, or middle posting, grammar,
    spelling. Thank you!

  9. Re: nvidia tv out

    > Thanks for your suggestions. I've managed to get the tv (NTSC) to work
    > :-) Though, my next problem is to fit the image to the tv monitor. For
    > now I the desktop doesn't fit the tv. It is like the corners of the
    > desktop have been cut off. Paying with the resolution has not helped...
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > I've posted sections of my xorg.conf

    Sorry, I won't help you with xorg.conf, I always use
    system->configuration -> configure nvidia X server settings.
    but:
    tv resolution is usually lower than monitor, so you can lower monitor
    resolution (i think it's not good solution )or you can choose part of
    monitor you want to see on tv (by nvidia x server settings) or you can
    use tv as extended desktop (something else on monitor and something else
    on tv)
    Bart

  10. Re: nvidia tv out

    On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:00:09 -0500, Wodans wrote:

> [...]

    > Device "Videocard0"
    > Monitor "Monitor0"
    > DefaultDepth 24
    > Option "TwinView" "0"
    > Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-1"
    > Option "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 24
    > EndSubSection
    >EndSection
    >
    >Section "Screen"
    >
    ># Removed Option "metamodes" "TV: 720x480 +0+0"
    ># Removed Option "metamodes" "TV: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    ># Removed Option "metamodes" "TV: 800x600 +0+0"
    ># Removed Option "metamodes" "TV: 800x600 +0+0; TV: 640x480 +0+0"
    > Identifier "Screen1"
    > Device "Videocard1"
    > Monitor "Monitor1"
    > DefaultDepth 24
    > Option "TwinView" "0"
    > Option "metamodes" "TV: nvidia-auto-select +1+1; TV:

    It's TV. Haven't you ever heard of "overscan"?

+ Reply to Thread