10.3 Upgrade Woes - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.3 Upgrade Woes - Suse ; I've finally managed to get a "semi" working 10.3 system by continuing the install from the mirrors. However, my new system does not seem to recognize either of my CD/DVD drives - making re-installing stuff into my /home directory somewht ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    I've finally managed to get a "semi" working 10.3 system by continuing
    the install from the mirrors. However, my new system does not seem to
    recognize either of my CD/DVD drives - making re-installing stuff into
    my /home directory somewht problematical. Inserting a data DVD or CD
    under 10.0 would cause the drive to appear under /media, but it
    doesn't under 10.3. Am I doing something wrong?

    Regards
    Roger

  2. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    Roger wrote:

    > I've finally managed to get a "semi" working 10.3 system by continuing
    > the install from the mirrors.

    Do you mean by that that you used the "Internet" installation? I tried that
    and the results were dismal on two different computers. Others had no
    problems. I think it had something to do with not recognizing my ethernet
    cards at the beginning and substituting a different driver. The DVD
    installation however always picks up the internet card. It is a common
    realtek.

    > However, my new system does not seem to
    > recognize either of my CD/DVD drives - making re-installing stuff into
    > my /home directory somewht problematical. Inserting a data DVD or CD
    > under 10.0 would cause the drive to appear under /media, but it
    > doesn't under 10.3. Am I doing something wrong?

    If I remember correctly 10.0 had a permanent subdirectory for the CD and DVD
    drives under /media. 10.3 on the other hand creates them on the fly. The
    floppy was also addressed in the same manner.

    Do you find your DVD listed under Menu --> System --> Monitor -->
    KinfoCenter? That app is useful for telling a lot about your hardware. In
    fact it probably gives too much information for the non techie and the
    techie alike.

    Have you tried using YAST and selecting Patterns then updating all the
    installed programs? Did you allow the Installation to add the suggested
    repositories? You might also go to the OpenSuse website and have a look at
    some of the other repositories you can add that are useful. I almost never
    use the DVD to add or update programs. Do you live in an area where online
    communication is prohibitive because it is costly?

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  3. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    Hi Darrell

    Menu --> System --> Monitor --> KinfoCenter sees my CD writer/DVD
    reader but sees it as a CD reader/DVD reader only. My DVD burner
    (second unit) isn't seen at all. I've tried loading K3b and that
    reports that I hve no writing devices available - not true, I have
    two.

    I'm living in Cyprus and broadband access is sloooowwww

    Regards
    Roger

  4. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    > Have you tried using YAST and selecting Patterns then updating all the
    > installed programs? Did you allow the Installation to add the suggested
    > repositories? You might also go to the OpenSuse website and have a look at
    > some of the other repositories you can add that are useful. I almost never
    > use the DVD to add or update programs. Do you live in an area where online
    > communication is prohibitive because it is costly?

    I've now updated all the installed programs. The syetm still sees my
    Samsung CD Writer/DVD reader as read only device and doesn't see my
    Phillips DVD/CD Read/Writer device at all

    Regards
    Roger

  5. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    Roger wrote:

    > I've finally managed to get a "semi" working 10.3 system by continuing
    > the install from the mirrors. However, my new system does not seem to
    > recognize either of my CD/DVD drives - making re-installing stuff into
    > my /home directory somewht problematical. Inserting a data DVD or CD
    > under 10.0 would cause the drive to appear under /media, but it
    > doesn't under 10.3. Am I doing something wrong?

    did you upgrade from 10.0 to 10.3?
    if yes, do a full new install of openSUSE 10.3 without network ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  6. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    > did you upgrade from 10.0 to 10.3?
    > if yes, do a full new install of openSUSE 10.3 without network ;-)

    In the end, it was a full new install. I have also used *Patterns* in
    YAST to upgrade all installed packages to the latest version. Googling
    seems to indicate that 10.3 "eating" CD and DVD writers is not unknown
    and while I've found several instances of the problem, I've not found
    any solutions.

    To re-cap, I have a Samsung CD Read/Writer DVD reader device that is
    configured with both /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd pointing to /dev/sr0.
    This device is recognised by the system but as a purely read only
    device. I also have a Phillips DVD read/write device which is not
    recognised by the system at all.

    I'm now going to try unplugging both devices, re-booting and then re-
    adding the devices one at a time to see if I can get the system to
    recognize and configure them at boot time.

    Regards
    Roger

  7. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    Roger wrote:

    > To re-cap, I have a Samsung CD Read/Writer DVD reader device that is
    > configured with both /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd pointing to /dev/sr0.
    > This device is recognised by the system but as a purely read only
    > device. I also have a Phillips DVD read/write device which is not
    > recognised by the system at all.

    can you gives us the types of cd/dvd writers/readers?
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3

  8. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    EOS wrote:

    > can you gives us the types of cd/dvd writers/readers?

    can you also gives us the info
    in yast - hardware - hardwareinfo?
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3

  9. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    On 17 Jan, 12:34, EOS wrote:
    > EOS wrote:
    > > can you gives us the types of cd/dvd writers/readers?

    > can you also gives us the info
    > in yast - hardware - hardwareinfo?
    > --
    > EOSwww.photo-memories.be
    > Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3

    Do you want the lot, or just sections & if so,which ones?

    Regards

  10. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    Roger wrote:

    > Do you want the lot, or just sections & if so,which ones?

    just the cd/dvd drives ;-)

    and maby post the info of "wodim --devices"
    in konsole without a cd in the drive(s)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3

  11. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    OK - here goes. First the output from wodim -- devices;

    varleyr@babylon2:~/Documents> wodim --devices
    wodim: Overview of accessible drives (1 found) :
    0 dev='/dev/scd0' rwrw-- : 'SAMSUNG' 'DVD-ROM SD-612'

    and secondly, the output from YAST saved to a file. ( I hope this the
    right bit as the text file doesn't seem to resemble the YAST display)

    5: udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_DVD_ROM_SD_612'
    block.minor = 0 (0x0)
    storage.requires_eject = true
    info.capabilities = { 'storage', 'block', 'storage.cdrom' }
    storage.bus = 'scsi'
    storage.cdrom.support_media_changed = true
    storage.cdrom.support_multisession = true
    storage.removable.media_available = false
    storage.cdrom.hddvdr = false
    storage.cdrom.mrw_w = true
    org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.resmgr.method_names = { 'Grant',
    'Revoke' }
    info.category = 'storage'
    info.product = 'DVD-ROM SD-612'
    storage.drive_type = 'cdrom'
    storage.hotpluggable = false
    storage.physical_device = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer'
    storage.cdrom.mrw = true
    storage.partitioning_scheme = ''
    storage.vendor = 'SAMSUNG'
    storage.media_check_enabled = true
    storage.cdrom.read_speed = 5632 (0x1600)
    org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage.method_names = { 'Eject',
    'CloseTray' }
    storage.cdrom.dvd = true
    storage.removable.media_size = 7621836800ull (0x1c64c0000ull)
    block.is_volume = false
    storage.firmware_version = '0.4'
    storage.cdrom.bdre = false
    storage.cdrom.mo = false
    block.storage_device = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/
    storage_model_DVD_ROM_SD_612'
    info.addons = { 'hald-addon-storage' }
    info.parent = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/
    pci_1106_571_scsi_host_0_scsi_device_lun0'
    storage.cdrom.dvdplusr = false
    org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.resmgr.method_signature s = { '', '' }
    storage.size = 0ull (0x0ull)
    storage.cdrom.write_speed = 0 (0x0)
    org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage.method_signatur es = { 'as',
    'as' }
    block.device = '/dev/sr0'
    info.callouts.add = { 'hal-resmgr' }
    org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage.method_argnames =
    { 'extra_options', 'extra_options' }
    storage.cdrom.cdr = false
    storage.no_partitions_hint = true
    storage.cdrom.bdr = false
    storage.removable = true
    storage.lun = 0 (0x0)
    info.vendor = 'SAMSUNG'
    storage.cdrom.dvdram = false
    storage.cdrom.dvdplusrwdl = false
    storage.cdrom.write_speeds = { }
    storage.cdrom.dvdr = false
    info.interfaces = { 'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage',
    'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage',
    'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.resmgr' }
    org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage.method_execpath s = { 'hal-storage-
    eject', 'hal-storage-closetray' }
    storage.originating_device = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer'
    storage.model = 'DVD-ROM SD-612'
    info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/
    storage_model_DVD_ROM_SD_612'
    storage.cdrom.dvdplusrdl = false
    storage.cdrom.bd = false
    storage.cdrom.hddvdrw = false
    block.major = 11 (0xb)
    storage.removable.support_async_notification = false
    resmgr.class = 'cdrom'
    linux.hotplug_type = 3 (0x3)
    storage.cdrom.cdrw = false
    storage.cdrom.dvdplusrw = false
    org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.resmgr.method_argnames = { '', '' }
    linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/block/sr0'
    storage.cdrom.dvdrw = false
    storage.automount_enabled_hint = true
    storage.cdrom.hddvd = false
    org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.resmgr.method_execpaths = { 'hal-resmgr-
    grant', 'hal-resmgr-revoke' }

  12. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Roger wrote:-

    >and secondly, the output from YAST saved to a file. ( I hope this the
    >right bit as the text file doesn't seem to resemble the YAST display)
    >
    >5: udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_DVD_ROM_SD_612'

    > storage.cdrom.cdr = false
    > storage.cdrom.dvdram = false
    > storage.cdrom.dvdplusrwdl = false
    > storage.cdrom.dvdr = false
    > storage.cdrom.dvdplusrdl = false
    > storage.cdrom.hddvdrw = false
    > storage.cdrom.cdrw = false
    > storage.cdrom.dvdplusrw = false
    > storage.cdrom.dvdrw = false

    I hate to burst your bubble, but that isn't a CD writer/DVD-DOM combo.
    The drive identifies itself as a DVD-ROM and says it doesn't support
    writing to any optical media.

    If you want the specs for it, Dell has them online here:

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a0

  13. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    On 17 Jan, 22:30, David Bolt wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Roger wrote:-
    > >and secondly, the output from YAST saved to a file. ( I hope this the
    > >right bit as the text file doesn't seem to resemble the YAST display)

    > >5: udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_DVD_ROM_SD_612'

    > > storage.cdrom.cdr = false
    > > storage.cdrom.dvdram = false
    > > storage.cdrom.dvdplusrwdl = false
    > > storage.cdrom.dvdr = false
    > > storage.cdrom.dvdplusrdl = false
    > > storage.cdrom.hddvdrw = false
    > > storage.cdrom.cdrw = false
    > > storage.cdrom.dvdplusrw = false
    > > storage.cdrom.dvdrw = false

    > I hate to burst your bubble, but that isn't a CD writer/DVD-DOM combo.
    > The drive identifies itself as a DVD-ROM and says it doesn't support
    > writing to any optical media.

    Exactly! Under 10.0 it was a working CD Read/Writer and a DVD reader.
    I've no way of checking how it identified itself under 10.0 other than
    re-installing. This is why I'm getting stressed. However, I could live
    with it "mis-identifying itself" for the time being if I could get the
    capabilities of the second CD/DVD burner back. Any suggestions as to
    why the second DVD Writer isn't even recognised.

    Regards
    Roger

  14. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Roger wrote:-

    >Exactly! Under 10.0 it was a working CD Read/Writer and a DVD reader.
    >I've no way of checking how it identified itself under 10.0 other than
    >re-installing.

    I don't see how it could have been a CD writer when the specs for the
    SD-612 explicitly shows no writing capability:

    Drive speed

    DVD 4.9X to 12X
    CD 18X to 40X

    Bus interface

    IDE / ATAPI interface

    Types of disc formats supported

    DVD :

    DVD-5 : single-sided, single-layer format (4.377 GB)
    DVD-9 : single-sided, dual-layer format (~ 7.95 GB)
    DVD-10 : double-sided, single-layer format (~ 8.754 GB)
    DVD-18 : double-sided, dual-layer format (~ 15.917 GB)

    CD :

    CD-DA
    All CD-ROM and CD-Recordable Mode 1,2
    CD-ROM XA(Mode2, Form1 and Form2) via data read
    CD-ROM XA multi-session for Photo-CD
    CD-Enhanced multi-session disc format
    VIDEO-CD / CD-I(FMV) / CD-Plus / CD Extra
    CD-RW(Read) / CD-R(Read) / CD-TEXT

    As you can see, there's no mention of it being able to write to any
    optical media.

    >This is why I'm getting stressed. However, I could live
    >with it "mis-identifying itself" for the time being if I could get the
    >capabilities of the second CD/DVD burner back. Any suggestions as to
    >why the second DVD Writer isn't even recognised.

    Absolutely none. Is it recognised by the BIOS when booting? Have you
    made any hardware changes? Are you sure it's still connected to the IDE
    bus?

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a0

  15. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    > Absolutely none. Is it recognised by the BIOS when booting? Have you
    > made any hardware changes? Are you sure it's still connected to the IDE
    > bus?

    Hi David

    Both CD/DVD drives are recognised at boot time - but now that I've hd
    time to "play" with 10.3, the more I'm unhappy. For example, Yast no
    longer offers the option to be an NFS server .... I know that I've
    done something stupid down the line somewhere 'cos otherwise everyone
    would be up in arms - I just don't know what I've done and how to
    recover.

  16. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    Roger wrote:

    > Yast no longer offers the option to be an NFS server

    Close Yast, install the nfs-kernel-server package, run Yast again and you
    should see NFS Server in the Network Services section.

    --
    BackPacker

  17. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, Roger wrote:-

    >> Absolutely none. Is it recognised by the BIOS when booting? Have you
    >> made any hardware changes? Are you sure it's still connected to the IDE
    >> bus?
    >>

    >Hi David
    >
    >Both CD/DVD drives are recognised at boot time - but now that I've hd
    >time to "play" with 10.3, the more I'm unhappy.

    Personally, I don't see that much different between 10.0 and 10.3. KDE
    jumped from 3.4[0] to 3.5.7, and there were a few other version changes
    but, with the exception of the new package management system, I really
    can't see that much on a day to day basis.

    >For example, Yast no
    >longer offers the option to be an NFS server ....

    You've probably not installed the yast2-nfs-server package. I don't
    think it's a default package, so you may have needed to add it manually.

    >I know that I've
    >done something stupid down the line somewhere 'cos otherwise everyone
    >would be up in arms - I just don't know what I've done and how to
    >recover.

    My first diagnostic test would be to shut down and disconnect the
    Samsung drive, since the kernel sees that drive. Then, reboot into
    runlevel 1 and then look to see if it's detected without the Samsung
    present.

    [0] Not sure which version, and can't be bothered to dig out my 10.0
    installation discs.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a0

  18. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    Roger wrote:

    > For example, Yast no
    > longer offers the option to be an NFS server .... I

    install the nfs-server?
    http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...-nfsserver.png
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3

  19. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    OK - the NFS server bit was me being stupid. You are quite correct, I
    had failed to install it. Doh!

    I'm still trying to get the DVD driver working. I've come across this
    in boot.msg and it appears right after the system has identified the
    hard drives

    <4>ata2.01: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x1)
    <4>ata2: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
    <6>ata2.00: ATAPI: SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-612, BS04, max MWDMA2
    <6>ata2.00: configured for MWDMA2
    <5>scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access ATA IBM-DTLA-305020 TWEH PQ:
    0 ANSI: 5
    <5>scsi 0:0:1:0: Direct-Access ATA ST360021A 7.18 PQ:
    0 ANSI: 5
    <5>scsi 1:0:0:0: CD-ROM SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-612 0.4 PQ:
    0 ANSI: 5

  20. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    I've now opened the case and unplugged both drives. I then re-
    connected the Phillips DVD Writer drive on it's own and the system
    recognizes it. So the unit itself is working. I shut down the system
    and re-connected the Samsung as well. On re-boot, the system only
    recognizes the Samsung!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast