10.3 Upgrade Woes - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.3 Upgrade Woes - Suse ; Roger wrote: This is not a flame. This is advice on how to get better help and keep this newsgroup clean Short story: Please read http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/ Long story: Google unfortunately decided not to use the standards of quoting on Usenet. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    Roger wrote:

    This is not a flame. This is advice on how to get better help and keep
    this newsgroup clean
    Short story: Please read http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

    Long story:
    Google unfortunately decided not to use the standards of quoting on
    Usenet. There are several solutions to this problem. The best is to use a
    newsreader. For Windows there is e.g. FreeAgent and for Linux there is
    Pan, Knode or slrn, among others.

    Just point your newsreader to your providers Usenet server. If they do not
    have a Usenetserver, look up a payserver, like http://giganews.com or a
    free server like news.sunsite.dk (registration required)

    Now what if you are not at home all the time and that is your reason to
    select google? Glad you asked.
    If you have a fixed connection, you can use a dyndns server to make a
    connection to your home linux machine over ssl and use anything that is
    on your home computer.
    e.g. ssh home.example.com and then run slrn. GUI interfaces are possible
    as well on any OS.
    If you are unable to keep a connection up, you can register at
    http://www.rootshell.be and then connect to there and use slrn on that
    machine. slrn is textbased and might be scary at first. As Usenet is
    text anyway, you will very fast learn how to use it and configure it.

    Only if all else fails and you have no option in using Usnet in any other
    way, including waiting till you get home, you can use Google. You can
    still quote correctly as described on the following page:

    Understand that many people already filter out google postings. So best
    look for an alternative. Usenet is not WWW. If you want WWW, look up
    a webforum. This is not a webforum.

    I sympathize with your problems, and am more than willing to help you
    solve them. To do so you should follow the correct quoting principles
    and good Netiquette explained in this FAQ available at;
    http://www.plainfaqs.org/linux/

    Until then I and many other regulars who could give you good advice
    won't do so. So in the interest of solving your problems, quote correctly
    and ask Google to reinstate the correct way of quoting.

    Remember: this was not a flame, this was helping you to get the best response
    and help possible.

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

  2. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    On Sat, 19 Jan 2008, Roger wrote:-

    >I've now opened the case and unplugged both drives. I then re-
    >connected the Phillips DVD Writer drive on it's own and the system
    >recognizes it. So the unit itself is working. I shut down the system
    >and re-connected the Samsung as well. On re-boot, the system only
    >recognizes the Samsung!

    Have you checked to see that they aren't both set to be master or slave?
    Is one set to be cable select and the other either master or slave? If
    possible, try swapping their positions on the IDE cable. I found that
    one of my DVD writers drives won't be detected if it's set to slave and
    not on the last connector.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a0

  3. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    On Jan 19, 6:07 pm, David Bolt wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Jan 2008, Roger wrote:-
    > >I've now opened the case and unplugged both drives. I then re-
    > >connected the Phillips DVD Writer drive on it's own and the system
    > >recognizes it. So the unit itself is working. I shut down the system
    > >and re-connected the Samsung as well. On re-boot, the system only
    > >recognizes the Samsung!

    > Have you checked to see that they aren't both set to be master or slave?
    > Is one set to be cable select and the other either master or slave? If
    > possible, try swapping their positions on the IDE cable. I found that
    > one of my DVD writers drives won't be detected if it's set to slave and
    > not on the last connector.

    I've replaced the cable, no difference. I've switched their respective
    positions, no difference. I've no idea if the jumpers are set on
    either of them for master/slave, I was under the impression that the
    OS sorted things out itself these days.. I'll have to google for the
    specs for them to work out what the jumper settings should be. However
    this is definitely a change due to 10.3 as they both worked under 10.0

    Thanks for all your help so far.

    Regards
    Roger

  4. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    Roger wrote:

    > On Jan 19, 6:07 pm, David Bolt wrote:
    >> On Sat, 19 Jan 2008, Roger wrote:-
    >> >I've now opened the case and unplugged both drives. I then re-
    >> >connected the Phillips DVD Writer drive on it's own and the system
    >> >recognizes it. So the unit itself is working. I shut down the system
    >> >and re-connected the Samsung as well. On re-boot, the system only
    >> >recognizes the Samsung!

    >> Have you checked to see that they aren't both set to be master or
    >> slave? Is one set to be cable select and the other either master or
    >> slave? If possible, try swapping their positions on the IDE cable. I
    >> found that one of my DVD writers drives won't be detected if it's set
    >> to slave and not on the last connector.
    >>

    > I've replaced the cable, no difference. I've switched their respective
    > positions, no difference. I've no idea if the jumpers are set on
    > either of them for master/slave, I was under the impression that the
    > OS sorted things out itself these days.. I'll have to google for the
    > specs for them to work out what the jumper settings should be. However
    > this is definitely a change due to 10.3 as they both worked under 10.0
    >
    > Thanks for all your help so far.
    >
    > Regards
    > Roger

    The jumper assignments are marked on the drive case !
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  5. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    On 20 Jan, 13:05, Baron wrote:
    > Roger wrote:

    > >> Have you checked to see that they aren't both set to be master or
    > >> slave? Is one set to be cable select and the other either master or
    > >> slave? If possible, try swapping their positions on the IDE cable. I
    > >> found that one of my DVD writers drives won't be detected if it's set
    > >> to slave and not on the last connector.

    > > I've replaced the cable, no difference. I've switched their respective
    > > positions, no difference. I've no idea if the jumpers are set on
    > > either of them for master/slave, I was under the impression that the
    > > OS sorted things out itself these days.. I'll have to google for the
    > > specs for them to work out what the jumper settings should be. However
    > > this is definitely a change due to 10.3 as they both worked under 10.0

    > > Thanks for all your help so far.

    > > Regards
    > > Roger

    > The jumper assignments are marked on the drive case !

    Oh, if it were that simple .... they aren't

    Regards
    Roger

  6. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    Roger wrote:

    > On 20 Jan, 13:05, Baron wrote:
    >> Roger wrote:

    >> > I've replaced the cable, no difference. I've switched their
    >> > respective positions, no difference. I've no idea if the jumpers
    >> > are set on either of them for master/slave, I was under the
    >> > impression that the OS sorted things out itself these days.. I'll
    >> > have to google for the specs for them to work out what the jumper
    >> > settings should be. However this is definitely a change due to 10.3
    >> > as they both worked under 10.0

    >> > Thanks for all your help so far.

    >> > Regards
    >> > Roger

    >> The jumper assignments are marked on the drive case !

    > Oh, if it were that simple .... they aren't
    >
    > Regards
    > Roger

    They should be !
    SAMSUNG *DVD-ROM SD-612B.
    The jumper assignments are stamped into the case just above the three
    positions. CS/SL/MS. These are "Cable Select, Slave, Master" Looking
    at the back of the drive MS is nearest the IDE connector. The
    connector on the other side is for Audio. The little one nearest the
    case is digital audio.

    This should help.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  7. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    > They should be !
    > SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-612B.
    > The jumper assignments are stamped into the case just above the three
    > positions. CS/SL/MS. These are "Cable Select, Slave, Master" Looking
    > at the back of the drive MS is nearest the IDE connector. The
    > connector on the other side is for Audio. The little one nearest the
    > case is digital audio.
    >
    > This should help.

    I've now removed the drives and you are quite correct, the markings
    are stamped. They're both currently set to Cable Select. Before I set
    them to master & slave respectivley, can someone refresh my memory
    about which one attaches to the end connector and which one attaches
    to the middle connector on the IDE cable. It's been a long time since
    I've done this.

    Regards
    Roger

  8. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Roger wrote:-

    >I've now removed the drives and you are quite correct, the markings
    >are stamped. They're both currently set to Cable Select. Before I set
    >them to master & slave respectivley, can someone refresh my memory
    >about which one attaches to the end connector and which one attaches
    >to the middle connector on the IDE cable. It's been a long time since
    >I've done this.

    The master usually[0] goes at the end of the cable, and the slave on the
    other connector.

    [0] I say usually, because I have a couple of systems with DVD drives
    that are set as slaves and neither have a master on that cable. To
    prevent signal reflections[1], they are connected to the end of the
    cable.

    [1] Not a big problem with IDE, but I was used to using SCSI devices and
    the SCSI bus had to be terminated properly or it did cause problems.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  9. Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

    Hi David, Roger,

    David Bolt wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Roger wrote:-
    >
    >>I've now removed the drives and you are quite correct, the markings
    >>are stamped. They're both currently set to Cable Select.

    Thank you for confirming that.

    >>Before I set
    >>them to master & slave respectivley, can someone refresh my memory
    >>about which one attaches to the end connector and which one attaches
    >>to the middle connector on the IDE cable. It's been a long time since
    >>I've done this.

    The idea of "Cable Select" is that it shouldn't matter which is which.

    > The master usually[0] goes at the end of the cable, and the slave on
    > the other connector.

    That is correct, only if there are two drives. If there is only one on
    a cable I usually put it on the end connector. This reduces signal
    reflections from an open end on the cable.[0] Generally the BIOS
    doesn't care if its a master or a slave.

    I have seen BIOSes that prefer that anything on the secondary controller
    to be set as a slave.

    > [0] I say usually, because I have a couple of systems with DVD drives
    > that are set as slaves and neither have a master on that cable. To
    > prevent signal reflections[1], they are connected to the end of the
    > cable.

    Yes I agree. I have seen/done that as well. But it seems only to work
    with a cable that supports CS.

    > [1] Not a big problem with IDE, but I was used to using SCSI devices
    > [and the SCSI bus had to be terminated properly or it did cause
    > problems.

    Funny isn't it that once you have been caught out getting SCSI
    terminations wrong, you don't forget it easily. ;-)

    --
    Regards:
    Baron.

+ Reply to Thread