Newbie Please Excuse My Lack of Knowledge - Suse

This is a discussion on Newbie Please Excuse My Lack of Knowledge - Suse ; I have been investigating different linux based OS but I am hesitant about going forward with installation because I am uncertian about playing my games and whether or not my hardware will be supported, eg: drivers and compatability. Is there ...

  1. Newbie Please Excuse My Lack of Knowledge

    I have been investigating different linux based OS but I am hesitant about
    going forward with installation because I am uncertian about playing my
    games and whether or not my hardware will be supported, eg: drivers and
    compatability. Is there any release that is geared for the home user that
    will install drivers and compatabilty software to run Windows based games
    and products.
    Again I apologize for my lack of knowledge and sometimes when I read about
    all these different things in Linux my head seems to swim.
    Thanks in advance
    Sincerly
    Ernest Martin
    hitchhiker49@comcast.net

  2. Re: Newbie Please Excuse My Lack of Knowledge

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:47:08 -0800, Ernie wrote:

    > I have been investigating different linux based OS but I am hesitant about
    > going forward with installation because I am uncertian about playing my
    > games and whether or not my hardware will be supported, eg: drivers and
    > compatability. Is there any release that is geared for the home user that
    > will install drivers and compatabilty software to run Windows based games
    > and products.
    > Again I apologize for my lack of knowledge and sometimes when I read about
    > all these different things in Linux my head seems to swim.
    > Thanks in advance
    > Sincerly
    > Ernest Martin
    > hitchhiker49@comcast.net

    Yes there is - virtually any modern distro will do that.

    Linux is not MS - I run mainly Linux apps, but WINE is an interface which
    allows many MS programs to run. You probably won't know if yours will work
    until you try - you might want to check out the project web site first, to
    see what's on the compatibility list.

    If you are interested in checking hardware compatibility before you do any
    install, all you have to do is boot one of the many Live CDs - it will
    boot and run from the CD without needing to be installed.

    Again, there is hardly any need to run MS software - except games. There
    are already Linux equivalents for most any software you could name -
    OpenOffice, GIMP, Gnucash . . .

+ Reply to Thread