Suse 10.3, NFS installation, config file needed? - Suse

This is a discussion on Suse 10.3, NFS installation, config file needed? - Suse ; I am testing to install Suse in PC1 via local network and NFS with a Suse 10.3-DVD in PC2. NFS is started in PC2, using yast2, with "/media/SU1030.001" directory exported, "*" as host wild card and "fsid=0,ro,root_squash,sync,no_subtree_check" as options. PC1 ...

  1. Suse 10.3, NFS installation, config file needed?

    I am testing to install Suse in PC1 via local network and NFS with a
    Suse 10.3-DVD in PC2.

    NFS is started in PC2, using yast2, with "/media/SU1030.001" directory
    exported, "*" as host wild card and
    "fsid=0,ro,root_squash,sync,no_subtree_check" as options.

    PC1 is booted with a "mini-iso" CD. I can select istallation NFS
    source, define NFS server and directory, start the installation,
    select language and keyboard and select swap partition.

    The Installation continues until "Found a Linux console..." and
    "Please supply a config file". A do not have a confilg file defined,
    so I wait. After approx. 30 sec. then the installation continues with
    selection of language etc. until "Installation settings" where I can
    see that the "Software section" only contains a selcted window manager
    and no other SW (Size of package to install: 0"). If I proceed, the
    installation continues with complaints about unfound packages.

    To me it seems that I am missing the earlier mentioned config file. I
    can however not find of what i should contain etc (file name, folder
    location, content).

    Can anyone assist please?

  2. Re: Suse 10.3, NFS installation, config file needed?

    Hi,

    Bengt T wrote:
    > NFS is started in PC2, using yast2, with "/media/SU1030.001" directory
    > exported, "*" as host wild card and
    > "fsid=0,ro,root_squash,sync,no_subtree_check" as options.

    [..]

    > The Installation continues until "Found a Linux console..." and
    > "Please supply a config file". A do not have a confilg file defined,
    > so I wait. After approx. 30 sec. then the installation continues with
    > selection of language etc. until "Installation settings" where I can
    > see that the "Software section" only contains a selcted window manager
    > and no other SW (Size of package to install: 0"). If I proceed, the
    > installation continues with complaints about unfound packages.

    On PC2, check /var/log/message for nfs error messages.

  3. Re: Suse 10.3, NFS installation, config file needed?

    On 14 Jan, 13:06, Andreas wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Bengt T wrote:
    > > NFS is started in PC2, using yast2, with "/media/SU1030.001" directory
    > > exported, "*" as host wild card and
    > > "fsid=0,ro,root_squash,sync,no_subtree_check" as options.

    > [..]
    >
    > > The Installation continues until "Found a Linux console..." and
    > > "Please supply a config file". A do not have a confilg file defined,
    > > so I wait. After approx. 30 sec. then the installation continues with
    > > selection of language etc. until "Installation settings" where I can
    > > see that the "Software section" only contains a selcted window manager
    > > and no other SW (Size of package to install: 0"). If I proceed, the
    > > installation continues with complaints about unfound packages.

    > On PC2, check /var/log/message for nfs error messages.

    I checked /var/log/messages and I can read "...authenticated mount
    request from ...". It seems that NFS works ok.

    /Bengt

  4. Re: Suse 10.3, NFS installation, config file needed?

    On 14 Jan, 14:46, Bengt T wrote:
    > On 14 Jan, 13:06, Andreas wrote:
    >

    > > Hi,

    > > Bengt T wrote:
    > > > NFS is started in PC2, using yast2, with "/media/SU1030.001" directory
    > > > exported, "*" as host wild card and
    > > > "fsid=0,ro,root_squash,sync,no_subtree_check" as options.

    > > [..]

    > > > The Installation continues until "Found a Linux console..." and
    > > > "Please supply a config file". A do not have a confilg file defined,
    > > > so I wait. After approx. 30 sec. then the installation continues with
    > > > selection of language etc. until "Installation settings" where I can
    > > > see that the "Software section" only contains a selcted window manager
    > > > and no other SW (Size of package to install: 0"). If I proceed, the
    > > > installation continues with complaints about unfound packages.

    > > On PC2, check /var/log/message for nfs error messages.

    > I checked /var/log/messages and I can read "...authenticated mount
    > request from ...". It seems that NFS works ok.
    >
    > /Bengt

    I gave up NFS install for the time being and installed a DVD reader
    temporarily in PC1. With this, the installation is successful.

    After browsing the Internet I understand that others have experienced
    the same problem ("...config file missing...")
    , with Suse 10.3 NFS installations, as I have. For the moment it seems
    to me that something is missing or incorrect with the "mini iso CD"..

    /Bengt

+ Reply to Thread