KDE 4 Startmenu - Suse

This is a discussion on KDE 4 Startmenu - Suse ; Hello, With openSUSE 10.3 a new style start menu for KDE 3 where introduced - and after a few performance enhancing fixes I started to like it. Now KDE 4 has a similar style menu which would have been good ...

  1. KDE 4 Startmenu

    Hello,

    With openSUSE 10.3 a new style start menu for KDE 3 where introduced - and
    after a few performance enhancing fixes I started to like it.

    Now KDE 4 has a similar style menu which would have been good news - only -
    unlike the KDE 3 version - you can't re-size it. I got a 24" flat screen,
    plenty of space for a live without scrolling. But not with KDE 4

    But appart from that I begin so see a pattern. I see my greatest fears come
    true - fears I have seen ever since I read the blueprints for KDE 4.

    You relay are going to alienate your existing (power) user base to gain a
    few new (joe average) users. How very sad.

    Honestly: If I wanted reduced functionality I would be using GNOME.

    Martin

    PS: I am sorry if you have seen this post before - there seem to be some
    problems with my leavenode setup which I am currently hunting down.
    --
    mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

  2. Re: KDE 4 Startmenu

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:08:48 +0100, krischik wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > With openSUSE 10.3 a new style start menu for KDE 3 where introduced -
    > and after a few performance enhancing fixes I started to like it.
    >
    > Now KDE 4 has a similar style menu which would have been good news -
    > only - unlike the KDE 3 version - you can't re-size it. I got a 24" flat
    > screen, plenty of space for a live without scrolling. But not with KDE 4
    > Honestly: If I wanted reduced functionality I would be using GNOME.
    >
    > Martin
    >
    > PS: I am sorry if you have seen this post before - there seem to be some
    > problems with my leavenode setup which I am currently hunting down.

    I agree completely with both of your posts I am very disappointed with KDE4 and
    if I cannot get around the problems you mentioned I will be deleting it!

    Testy

    --
    Become more Balanced www.shapeyourworld.ca

  3. Re: KDE 4 Startmenu

    Testy wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:08:48 +0100, krischik wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> With openSUSE 10.3 a new style start menu for KDE 3 where introduced -
    >> and after a few performance enhancing fixes I started to like it.
    >>
    >> Now KDE 4 has a similar style menu which would have been good news -
    >> only - unlike the KDE 3 version - you can't re-size it. I got a 24" flat
    >> screen, plenty of space for a live without scrolling. But not with KDE 4
    >> Honestly: If I wanted reduced functionality I would be using GNOME.
    >>
    >> Martin
    >>
    >> PS: I am sorry if you have seen this post before - there seem to be some
    >> problems with my leavenode setup which I am currently hunting down.

    > I agree completely with both of your posts I am very disappointed with
    > KDE4 and if I cannot get around the problems you mentioned I will be
    > deleting it!

    I won't be deleting it yet - otherwise I can't find out if anything has been
    improved. Even true that the move from /opt/kde to /usr fills my /usr
    partition dangerously. Anybody knows the rationale behind this change?

    Martin

    --
    mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

  4. Re: KDE 4 Startmenu

    krischik@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > With openSUSE 10.3 a new style start menu for KDE 3 where introduced - and
    > after a few performance enhancing fixes I started to like it.
    >
    > Now KDE 4 has a similar style menu which would have been good news - only
    > - unlike the KDE 3 version - you can't re-size it. I got a 24" flat
    > screen, plenty of space for a live without scrolling. But not with KDE 4

    Fortunately you can set how many applications you want in the menu :-)

  5. Re: KDE 4 Startmenu

    On Jan 13, 10:58 am, krisc...@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
    > I won't be deleting it yet - otherwise I can't find out if anything has been
    > improved. Even true that the move from /opt/kde to /usr fills my /usr
    > partition dangerously. Anybody knows the rationale behind this change?

    I don't know the reason, but some time ago I met a gnome-fan-boy (or a
    gnome-fan-gnome?) bitching about the fact that kde is installed in /
    opt and that it is an obsolete" design...

  6. Re: KDE 4 Startmenu

    krischik@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

    > Testy wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:08:48 +0100, krischik wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> With openSUSE 10.3 a new style start menu for KDE 3 where introduced -
    >>> and after a few performance enhancing fixes I started to like it.
    >>>
    >>> Now KDE 4 has a similar style menu which would have been good news -
    >>> only - unlike the KDE 3 version - you can't re-size it. I got a 24" flat
    >>> screen, plenty of space for a live without scrolling. But not with KDE 4
    >>> Honestly: If I wanted reduced functionality I would be using GNOME.
    >>>
    >>> Martin
    >>>
    >>> PS: I am sorry if you have seen this post before - there seem to be some
    >>> problems with my leavenode setup which I am currently hunting down.

    >> I agree completely with both of your posts I am very disappointed with
    >> KDE4 and if I cannot get around the problems you mentioned I will be
    >> deleting it!

    > I won't be deleting it yet - otherwise I can't find out if anything has
    > been improved. Even true that the move from /opt/kde to /usr fills my /usr
    > partition dangerously. Anybody knows the rationale behind this change?
    >
    > Martin

    It's what RedHat do so it MUST be a standard :-)

    --
    email =~ s/nospam/fudokai/

  7. Re: KDE 4 Startmenu

    krischik@users.sourceforge.net krischik@users.sourceforge.net left this
    in comp.windows.x.kde:

    > Testy wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:08:48 +0100, krischik wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> With openSUSE 10.3 a new style start menu for KDE 3 where introduced
    >>> - and after a few performance enhancing fixes I started to like it.
    >>>
    >>> Now KDE 4 has a similar style menu which would have been good news -
    >>> only - unlike the KDE 3 version - you can't re-size it. I got a 24"
    >>> flat screen, plenty of space for a live without scrolling. But not
    >>> with KDE 4 Honestly: If I wanted reduced functionality I would be
    >>> using GNOME.
    >>>
    >>> Martin
    >>>
    >>> PS: I am sorry if you have seen this post before - there seem to be
    >>> some problems with my leavenode setup which I am currently hunting
    >>> down.

    >> I agree completely with both of your posts I am very disappointed
    >> with KDE4 and if I cannot get around the problems you mentioned I
    >> will be deleting it!

    > I won't be deleting it yet - otherwise I can't find out if anything
    > has been improved. Even true that the move from /opt/kde to /usr fills
    > my /usr partition dangerously. Anybody knows the rationale behind this
    > change?
    >
    > Martin

    Don't know about you, but it sounds like better per user settings
    isolation.

    --
    ----------

    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens.
    --Schiller (from "Die Jungfrau von Orleans")

  8. Re: KDE 4 Startmenu

    krischik@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
    > Testy wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:08:48 +0100, krischik wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> With openSUSE 10.3 a new style start menu for KDE 3 where introduced -
    >>> and after a few performance enhancing fixes I started to like it.
    >>>
    >>> Now KDE 4 has a similar style menu which would have been good news -
    >>> only - unlike the KDE 3 version - you can't re-size it. I got a 24" flat
    >>> screen, plenty of space for a live without scrolling. But not with KDE 4
    >>> Honestly: If I wanted reduced functionality I would be using GNOME.
    >>>
    >>> Martin
    >>>
    >>> PS: I am sorry if you have seen this post before - there seem to be some
    >>> problems with my leavenode setup which I am currently hunting down.

    >> I agree completely with both of your posts I am very disappointed with
    >> KDE4 and if I cannot get around the problems you mentioned I will be
    >> deleting it!

    > I won't be deleting it yet - otherwise I can't find out if anything has been
    > improved. Even true that the move from /opt/kde to /usr fills my /usr
    > partition dangerously. Anybody knows the rationale behind this change?
    >
    > Martin

    I aagree with all the possters about KD4. It fails even as eye candy.
    The worst thing from my point of view is how comnpletely unstable it is.

    In effect the KDE4 desktop is sele-destructive.
    when I once was foolish enough to make it the default desktop I had to
    reinstall Debian. Nontthess since I use Gnome as myi default desktop
    I'll keep KDR4 for aamusment. Perhaaps someday the KDR developers will
    bring in out of beta but I'm not holding my breath. As for openSUSE to
    make KDE4 the KD# desktop default - I have nothing to say with getting
    veryi anggry.

    Marty Felker

+ Reply to Thread