Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs? - Suse

This is a discussion on Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs? - Suse ; Hi I've downloaded the OpenSUSE-10.3-GM-KDE.i386.iso file from OpenSUSE.org, burnt it to CD and started the upgrade. The process runs upto the point where the Package Installation screen is shown. The system sits at this point for 15-20mins with no progress ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs?

    Hi

    I've downloaded the OpenSUSE-10.3-GM-KDE.i386.iso file from
    OpenSUSE.org, burnt it to CD and started the upgrade. The process runs
    upto the point where the Package Installation screen is shown. The
    system sits at this point for 15-20mins with no progress indication
    and then pops up a display saying that there is a problem with the
    installation, but I can't find anything that tells me what the problem
    is. How do I find out?

    I've tried the upgrade several times with APIC enabled and disabled.
    Sometimes the upgrade find my network setup, and other times makes me
    configure the network. Each time I see the system downloading the
    repository information so it's connecting to the internet OK.

    Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

    Regards
    Roger

  2. Re: Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs?

    Roger wrote:

    > I've downloaded the OpenSUSE-10.3-GM-KDE.i386.iso file from
    > OpenSUSE.org, burnt it to CD and started the upgrade. The process runs
    > upto the point where the Package Installation screen is shown. The
    > system sits at this point for 15-20mins with no progress indication
    > and then pops up a display saying that there is a problem with the
    > installation, but I can't find anything that tells me what the problem
    > is. How do I find out?
    >
    > I've tried the upgrade several times with APIC enabled and disabled.
    > Sometimes the upgrade find my network setup, and other times makes me
    > configure the network. Each time I see the system downloading the
    > repository information so it's connecting to the internet OK.
    >
    > Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

    in my opinion:
    leave that problem and do a fresch install (if you can)
    because, openSUSE 10.3 is very diffrent to SuSE 10.0
    the mount with device-id from disk
    and "/dev/hda for ata" but "/dev/sda")

    so do a fresh installation.
    make first a backup from your home "tar -czf /path_to_home.tar ~/"
    if you have your "/home" on another partition than "/"
    you can mount them to the new system.
    if you don't have a separate partion to home you can you the backup.

    before installation make a list of used software in your SuSE 10.0
    add the repositories before to the installation of openSUSE 10.3
    of the used software
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs?

    > in my opinion:
    > leave that problem and do a fresch install (if you can)
    > because, openSUSE 10.3 is very diffrent to SuSE 10.0
    > the mount with device-id from disk
    > and "/dev/hda for ata" but "/dev/sda")

    Oh Cr@p! That isn't what I wanted to hear :-) OK, if I have to do a
    fresh install at least I can get my partions sorted out. What sort of
    size to I need to make the root partion for a 10.3 install. Apart
    from /home which other directories should be on their own partions.

    Regards
    Roger

  4. Re: Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs?

    Roger wrote:

    > Oh Cr@p! That isn't what I wanted to hear :-) OK, if I have to do a
    > fresh install at least I can get my partions sorted out. What sort of
    > size to I need to make the root partion for a 10.3 install. Apart
    > from /home which other directories should be on their own partions.

    like you want.

    I don't use more partitions than root & home
    keep it simple ;-)
    i have a KDE based OS
    / --> 10GB / 5 GB used
    /home --> 5 GB / 750MB used (i don't use it for data storage)
    swap --> 1GB
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3

  5. Re: Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs?

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008, Roger wrote:-

    >> in my opinion:
    >> leave that problem and do a fresch install (if you can)
    >> because, openSUSE 10.3 is very diffrent to SuSE 10.0
    >> the mount with device-id from disk
    >> and "/dev/hda for ata" but "/dev/sda")

    >Oh Cr@p! That isn't what I wanted to hear :-) OK, if I have to do a
    >fresh install at least I can get my partions sorted out. What sort of
    >size to I need to make the root partion for a 10.3 install. Apart
    >from /home which other directories should be on their own partions.

    You can perform an upgrade from 10.0 to 10.3. Here's the info on how I
    did it here:

    Alternatively, if you are going to perform the fresh install, here's my
    little guide:

    Hope they help.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a0

  6. Re: Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs?

    Roger wrote:

    > Oh Cr@p! That isn't what I wanted to hear :-)

    I've never even tried to do an upgrade. It's only really tested to
    work if you are going from the most recent previous version (i.e. 10.2
    -> 10.3) and although previous ones will *probably* work, there will
    be some issues of some kind unless you are very lucky.

    If you have /home on its own partition you are laughing, you can
    easily do a fresh install preserving /home and keep all your data
    (presuming it's all in /home) and application settings (mail, browser,
    newsreader, etc.) which can be a PITA to set up from scratch.

    > OK, if I have to do a
    > fresh install at least I can get my partions sorted out. What sort of
    > size to I need to make the root partion for a 10.3 install. Apart
    > from /home which other directories should be on their own partions

    Unless you are running a server and have specific needs, it is fine to
    have one partition for /home and another for / with everything else.
    Plus a swap partition if you like, but a swapfile is just as good (I'm
    limited to 4 partitions on a MacBook so I'd rather have boot, /mac, /
    and /home and have a swapfile, rather than have a swap partition and
    have just one linux partition.)
    10GB is more than enough for / , I use about 3.9GB with a full KDE
    install and almost all of the default packages including OOo.

    Some guy on another forum I subscribe to was complaining about OSX
    Leopard taking up too much of his 80GB hard disk, I told him that
    although my OSX Tiger install took up "only" 17GB I have far more
    software installed under linux in a fraction of the space (3.9 GB
    used on / )
    I only boot into OSX when I have to do something in iTunes (yes, yes,
    I know, but I'm not stupid enough to *buy* stuff from them) or when I
    am only doing web browsing without AC power, the power management on
    OSX is definitely better but no doubt that's because of the
    proprietary hardware... at least it's M$ tax free.

    --

    Ulick Magee

    Say no to expensive, bloated, insecure software.
    http://en.opensuse.org/Download http://www.openoffice.org/

  7. Re: Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs?

    Roger wrote:

    > and then pops up a display saying that there is a problem with the
    > installation, but I can't find anything that tells me what the problem
    > is.

    Before you go with a fresh install, I'd suggest you try doing a media check.
    You should find it on the menu when the CD first boots up. It could be a
    bad burn.

    But then you've probably already done that before running the upgrade...

    --
    Garry Knight
    garryknight@gmx.net

  8. Re: Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs?

    AAaaarrrrggggghhhhh!

    OK, I tried nd tried and no way was this system going to upgrade, so I
    bit the bullet, backed up everything I needed and launched into a new
    install. I took the opportunity to re-organize my partions and set up
    a 5GB Reiserfs root partion, a 15GB /usr reiserfs partion on sda1 &
    sda2 and 1GB swap and 59GB reiserfs for /home on sdb

    The install started, but the package download took ages (Broadband is
    not that fast in this part of the world) so I left it running while I
    went to bed. Woke up this morning to the dreaded "There has been a
    problem" display The partially installed system won't boot. So I'm
    starting again.

    In the likely event that this fails again, is there anywhere I can
    download CD iso images for as mny CD's as I need so I can at least do
    a local install without having to go over the internet - DVD image is
    no good as the only machine with a DVD burner that I have is this one!
    It would be ironical if I have to reload Windows to be able to downlod
    Linux

    Regards

    ..

  9. Re: Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs?

    Roger wrote:
    > In the likely event that this fails again, is there anywhere I can
    > download CD iso images for as mny CD's as I need so I can at least do
    > a local install without having to go over the internet - DVD image is
    > no good as the only machine with a DVD burner that I have is this one!
    > It would be ironical if I have to reload Windows to be able to downlod
    > Linux

    Download the 1CD and then just install that one CD. Do not connect over
    the Intertubes during installation. After that you can decide to either
    download the DVD or install the rest of the software once it is running.

    It could be that you need to disconnect the connection or that it is
    possible to skip networkconnection during installation.

    houghi
    --
    You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
    sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of

  10. Re: Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs?

    Roger wrote:

    > The install started, but the package download took ages (Broadband is
    > not that fast in this part of the world) so I left it running while I
    > went to bed.

    broadband you say? how fast is that than?
    why not have repo's from you're country

    i download the one CD (kde or gnome) and add repositories near at home
    for belguim i use skynet http://ftp.skynet.be
    http://en.opensuse.org/Mirrors_Released_Version
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3

  11. Re: Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs?

    EOS wrote:
    >> The install started, but the package download took ages (Broadband is
    >> not that fast in this part of the world) so I left it running while I
    >> went to bed.

    > broadband you say? how fast is that than?

    That sounds like translated Dutch. ;-)

    > why not have repo's from you're country

    Cyprus? Also when installing the software will look what server might be
    best.

    > i download the one CD (kde or gnome) and add repositories near at home
    > for belguim i use skynet http://ftp.skynet.be
    > http://en.opensuse.org/Mirrors_Released_Version

    Skynet is evil. :-D I just let openSUSE decide what my repo is going to
    be. It does the calculation on several arguments. This means I could
    have a different server each time. It also means that if the server is
    down, I will most likely be directed to another site.

    houghi
    --
    You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
    sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of
    imagination. Next stop, Usenet!

  12. Re: Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs?

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, EOS wrote:-

    >Roger wrote:
    >
    >> The install started, but the package download took ages (Broadband is
    >> not that fast in this part of the world) so I left it running while I
    >> went to bed.

    >broadband you say? how fast is that than?

    From Rogers IP, it looks like he's a Cytanet customer. A quick check
    shows their broadband isn't that speedy, starting at just
    256Kbps/64Kbps. From the cytanet.com.cy website:

    the fastest speed Cytanet offer for ADSL is only 1Mbps, unless you go
    for the much more expensive (almost 4x) business packages.

    >why not have repo's from you're country

    I don't think Cyprus has a mirror. There are probably some in close-by
    countries, but that won't help that much when you only get a maximum of
    128KBps.

    >i download the one CD (kde or gnome) and add repositories near at home
    >for belguim i use skynet http://ftp.skynet.be
    >http://en.opensuse.org/Mirrors_Released_Version

    For that sort of situation, I'd probably do the same.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a0

  13. Re: Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs?

    houghi wrote:

    > Skynet is evil. :-D I just let openSUSE decide what my repo is going to
    > be. It does the calculation on several arguments. This means I could
    > have a different server each time. It also means that if the server is
    > down, I will most likely be directed to another site.

    for me is skynet the fastest ;-)

    want to test if http://software.opensuse.org/
    give me a fast download of the openSUSE 10.3 KDE CD
    and........... yes error :-p

    Due to a serious hardware error, the openSUSE download services are
    currently not available.
    We are working hard to get them back online as soon as possible.
    In the meantime, please use one of our mirrors to download openSUSE.
    Thanks a lot for your understanding.
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3

  14. Re: Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs?

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, EOS wrote:-

    >for me is skynet the fastest ;-)
    >
    >want to test if http://software.opensuse.org/
    >give me a fast download of the openSUSE 10.3 KDE CD
    >and........... yes error :-p

    Taken from a post to opensuse-announce[0] a little over an hour ago:

    I am sorry to inform you that we have currently a bigger hardware
    failure of the raid system, which provides the content of ftp.opensuse.org
    and stage.opensuse.org.

    As a side effect, also the redirector download.opensuse.org is currently down.
    This leads to error messages, if you have added any extra repositories
    in your openSUSE installation.

    We work on resolving this, but we have currently not the needed hardware to
    replace it. The raid will become available again tomorrow, if the night over
    express succeeds.

    Can you say ouch?

    [0] Article 159 if you want to search the archives, if they're still up.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a0

  15. Re: Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs?

    EOS wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Skynet is evil. :-D I just let openSUSE decide what my repo is going to
    >> be. It does the calculation on several arguments. This means I could
    >> have a different server each time. It also means that if the server is
    >> down, I will most likely be directed to another site.

    > for me is skynet the fastest ;-)

    For those who do not know, Skynet is the Microsoft of the Belgian
    Providers.

    houghi
    --
    You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
    sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of
    imagination. Next stop, Usenet!

  16. Re: Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs?

    David Bolt wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, EOS wrote:-
    >
    >>for me is skynet the fastest ;-)
    >>
    >>want to test if http://software.opensuse.org/
    >>give me a fast download of the openSUSE 10.3 KDE CD
    >>and........... yes error :-p

    > Taken from a post to opensuse-announce[0] a little over an hour ago:
    >

    > I am sorry to inform you that we have currently a bigger hardware
    > failure of the raid system, which provides the content of ftp.opensuse.org
    > and stage.opensuse.org.

    They did that just to annoy me.

    houghi
    --
    You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
    sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of
    imagination. Next stop, Usenet!

  17. Re: Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs?

    Aaaarrgggh & double Aaaarrgh. It's a conspiracy I tell you. Now it
    appears that the main SUSE servers have crashed mid-install. The SUSE
    site says use a mirror - I've looked at a couple of mirrors but I
    can't seem to translate the install URL to anything on any of the
    mirrors! What do I do now - wait, or start again on one of the
    mirrors!

    Would anyone be interested in a DSW about how many install/upgrade
    attempts it takes to get from 10.0 to 10.3? Thanks to everyone who has
    posted helpful suggestions, it's very much appreciated

    Regards
    Roger

  18. Re: Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs?

    > From Rogers IP, it looks like he's a Cytanet customer. A quick check
    > shows their broadband isn't that speedy, starting at just
    > 256Kbps/64Kbps. From the cytanet.com.cy website:
    >

    > the fastest speed Cytanet offer for ADSL is only 1Mbps, unless you go
    > for the much more expensive (almost 4x) business packages.

    Speed - what's that - you're right, I'm an ex-pat in Cyprus. As an
    aside, when it comes to choosing your time zone in the install -
    Cyprus doesn't even appear as a choice. We're in the fsking EU now - I
    could pick the right timezone for Gibralter and other obscure
    places .....

  19. Re: Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs?

    Roger wrote:
    > Speed - what's that - you're right, I'm an ex-pat in Cyprus. As an
    > aside, when it comes to choosing your time zone in the install -
    > Cyprus doesn't even appear as a choice. We're in the fsking EU now - I
    > could pick the right timezone for Gibralter and other obscure
    > places .....

    Tell it to bugzilla so they add it for the next release.

    houghi
    --
    You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
    sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of
    imagination. Next stop, Usenet!

  20. Re: Upgrade 10.0 to 10.3 hangs?

    houghi wrote:

    > For those who do not know, Skynet is the Microsoft of the Belgian
    > Providers.

    where is telenet is this picture ;-)

    maby it's correct but i don't have any (never) problems with
    refresh & download from this ftp.