KDE4 - Suse

This is a discussion on KDE4 - Suse ; It seems that some conflicts exist between svn versions and 4.0 final versions. Maybe a few more days until everything changes to final (4.0-x) version. So far the one thing I found irritating was the 'heartbeat' sound everytime something (focus) ...

  1. KDE4

    It seems that some conflicts exist between svn versions and 4.0 final
    versions. Maybe a few more days until everything changes to final (4.0-x)
    version. So far the one thing I found irritating was the 'heartbeat' sound
    everytime something (focus) changes. It's enough to give ya a heart
    attack !

    Anyway, as no one else has mentioned this release yet I'd thought I'd try it
    out myself. I don't see how to get the launchers to embed in the tray. I
    added the 'old-style' kde menu launcher to the desktop but I'd rather just
    have that replace the new launcher. Anyone figure that out yet.

    Also I tried to install knode4 but there is a conflict in libraries. This
    seems to be a libkde vs. kdelibs conflict. As I said previously, it looks
    like some conflicts remain as of today.

    Maybe in a few days.

    Others may present there impressions and suggest fixes or at least tell us
    of any apparent bugs.

    Here we go.

  2. Re: KDE4

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > I don't see how to get the launchers to embed in the tray.

    I don't see how to bring up the kickstart menu with the keyboard. If I can't
    do that then I'm staying with KDE3 until they get all the accessibility
    issues fixed. And KDE3 under Suse gives me an option to use kickstart or
    the old-style menu which I prefer. And it gives me an option to edit the
    menu.

    I guess it's still early days yet...

    --
    Garry Knight
    garryknight@gmx.net

  3. Re: KDE4

    Michael Soibelman skrev:

    > Anyway, as no one else has mentioned this release yet I'd thought I'd try it
    > out myself. I don't see how to get the launchers to embed in the tray. I
    > added the 'old-style' kde menu launcher to the desktop but I'd rather just
    > have that replace the new launcher. Anyone figure that out yet.

    Click with the other button on the luncher and select remove. Then click
    with that button on the Desktop and choose Add widgets and drag
    Application Launcher Menu Traditional menu... to your lower left corner
    on the screen.
    Inge svensson

  4. Re: KDE4

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 13:35:46 -0800, Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > It seems that some conflicts exist between svn versions and 4.0 final
    > versions. Maybe a few more days until everything changes to final
    > (4.0-x) version. So far the one thing I found irritating was the
    > 'heartbeat' sound everytime something (focus) changes. It's enough to
    > give ya a heart attack !
    >
    > Anyway, as no one else has mentioned this release yet I'd thought I'd
    > try it out myself. I don't see how to get the launchers to embed in the
    > tray. I added the 'old-style' kde menu launcher to the desktop but I'd
    > rather just have that replace the new launcher. Anyone figure that out
    > yet.
    >
    > Also I tried to install knode4 but there is a conflict in libraries.
    > This seems to be a libkde vs. kdelibs conflict. As I said previously,
    > it looks like some conflicts remain as of today.
    >
    > Maybe in a few days.
    >
    > Others may present there impressions and suggest fixes or at least tell
    > us of any apparent bugs.
    >
    > Here we go.

    Quick newbie Q
    I tried KDE4 for a while and whilst it looked a little rough around the
    edges, I decided to switch back to KDE3. Now on reboot, I get a black
    screen. I can get back in it by using startx and have been doing but it
    is annoying. Meanwhile, on the black screen, if I prntscrn I can access
    help and it shows I am using KDE4. It seems to boot into 4 by default
    unless I startx into3!
    Anybody point out where an x-m$ is going wrong.
    Despite a learning curve on linux, it is the way to go.
    Thanks

  5. Re: KDE4

    Si wrote:

    > Quick newbie Q
    > I tried KDE4 for a while and whilst it looked a little rough around the
    > edges [snip]

    Exactly, it is rough around the edges, so don't run it unless you are
    prepared to have things break and be willing to fix them.

    I've been running SUSE/opensuse since 9.1 and still wasn't at all
    tempted to run KDE4 because (a) I'm happy with what KDE3 does and (b)
    I'm running on a MacBook so have enough minor hardware issues (like
    having to use LILO which is a PITA) to worry about without
    complicating things.

    There is some loudmouth on this group who keeps posting that if it's
    not broken, don't fix it, what does he know

    --

    Ulick Magee

    Say no to expensive, bloated, insecure software.
    http://en.opensuse.org/Download http://www.openoffice.org/

  6. Re: KDE4

    Si wrote:

    > I tried KDE4 for a while and whilst it looked a little rough around the
    > edges, I decided to switch back to KDE3. Now on reboot, I get a black
    > screen. I can get back in it by using startx and have been doing but it
    > is annoying. Meanwhile, on the black screen, if I prntscrn I can access
    > help and it shows I am using KDE4. It seems to boot into 4 by default
    > unless I startx into3!

    Not sure I understand this. Are you saying that when you boot up, it leaves
    you at a login prompt (you'll see the word "login:" as the last thing on
    the screen) at which you type 'startx' which then puts you into KDE4?

    I also don't understand the bit about prntscrn accessing help. Could you
    explain that please? To find out which version of KDE is running, just open
    a KDE application, e.g. konqueror, then select About KDE on the Help menu.

    What happens if you enter 'startkde' instead of 'startx'? Which version does
    that give you? What happens if you enter 'init 5' instead of 'startx'?

    Have a look at your /etc/inittab file. Does it have this line?

    id:5:initdefault:

    If it has a 3 instead of a 5, edit it (as root) and see if that fixes the
    problem.

    --
    Garry Knight
    garryknight@gmx.net

  7. Re: KDE4

    Si wrote:

    > On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 13:35:46 -0800, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >
    >> It seems that some conflicts exist between svn versions and 4.0 final
    >> versions. Maybe a few more days until everything changes to final
    >> (4.0-x) version. So far the one thing I found irritating was the
    >> 'heartbeat' sound everytime something (focus) changes. It's enough to
    >> give ya a heart attack !
    >>
    >> Anyway, as no one else has mentioned this release yet I'd thought I'd
    >> try it out myself. I don't see how to get the launchers to embed in the
    >> tray. I added the 'old-style' kde menu launcher to the desktop but I'd
    >> rather just have that replace the new launcher. Anyone figure that out
    >> yet.
    >>
    >> Also I tried to install knode4 but there is a conflict in libraries.
    >> This seems to be a libkde vs. kdelibs conflict. As I said previously,
    >> it looks like some conflicts remain as of today.
    >>
    >> Maybe in a few days.
    >>
    >> Others may present there impressions and suggest fixes or at least tell
    >> us of any apparent bugs.
    >>
    >> Here we go.

    > Quick newbie Q
    > I tried KDE4 for a while and whilst it looked a little rough around the
    > edges, I decided to switch back to KDE3. Now on reboot, I get a black
    > screen. I can get back in it by using startx and have been doing but it
    > is annoying. Meanwhile, on the black screen, if I prntscrn I can access
    > help and it shows I am using KDE4. It seems to boot into 4 by default
    > unless I startx into3!
    > Anybody point out where an x-m$ is going wrong.
    > Despite a learning curve on linux, it is the way to go.
    > Thanks

    It sounds to me that you are using automatic login. what you need to do is
    login using the login/password screen, but before you login in the left
    hand corner you will see session type and system if you click on session
    type you can choose kde3 from there then when you reboot it will boot into
    kde3. the os will always boot into the last window managrew used.

    To do the above start YAST2 then click on system /etc/sysconfig editor
    thne click on Desktop/display-manager scroll down to the sixth entry then
    leave the textbox below the text "setting of displaymanager_autologin"
    empty then click finish log out. and do as above.

    there is an easier way but i will let you find that out.

  8. Re: KDE4

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 10:34:21 +0000, Darklight wrote:

    > Si wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 13:35:46 -0800, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >>
    >>> It seems that some conflicts exist between svn versions and 4.0 final
    >>> versions. Maybe a few more days until everything changes to final
    >>> (4.0-x) version. So far the one thing I found irritating was the
    >>> 'heartbeat' sound everytime something (focus) changes. It's enough to
    >>> give ya a heart attack !
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, as no one else has mentioned this release yet I'd thought I'd
    >>> try it out myself. I don't see how to get the launchers to embed in
    >>> the tray. I added the 'old-style' kde menu launcher to the desktop
    >>> but I'd rather just have that replace the new launcher. Anyone figure
    >>> that out yet.
    >>>
    >>> Also I tried to install knode4 but there is a conflict in libraries.
    >>> This seems to be a libkde vs. kdelibs conflict. As I said previously,
    >>> it looks like some conflicts remain as of today.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe in a few days.
    >>>
    >>> Others may present there impressions and suggest fixes or at least
    >>> tell us of any apparent bugs.
    >>>
    >>> Here we go.

    >> Quick newbie Q
    >> I tried KDE4 for a while and whilst it looked a little rough around the
    >> edges, I decided to switch back to KDE3. Now on reboot, I get a black
    >> screen. I can get back in it by using startx and have been doing but it
    >> is annoying. Meanwhile, on the black screen, if I prntscrn I can access
    >> help and it shows I am using KDE4. It seems to boot into 4 by default
    >> unless I startx into3!
    >> Anybody point out where an x-m$ is going wrong. Despite a learning
    >> curve on linux, it is the way to go. Thanks

    > It sounds to me that you are using automatic login. what you need to do
    > is login using the login/password screen, but before you login in the
    > left hand corner you will see session type and system if you click on
    > session type you can choose kde3 from there then when you reboot it will
    > boot into kde3. the os will always boot into the last window managrew
    > used.
    >
    > To do the above start YAST2 then click on system /etc/sysconfig editor
    > thne click on Desktop/display-manager scroll down to the sixth entry
    > then leave the textbox below the text "setting of
    > displaymanager_autologin" empty then click finish log out. and do as
    > above.
    >

    > there is an easier way but i will let you find that out.

    It was auto logging in. The strange this is all the settings on previous
    two posts were all correct. What was confusing was no way in to the
    session manager (left corner)so it always went back to last login (kde4)
    Anyway, it is ok now. I guess it is just down to the migration from
    windows and my learning curve. Still better to smell the fresh air every
    morning even if I do step in cow pats along the way!!

+ Reply to Thread