GRUB error 23 in OpenSUSE 10.3 with RAID disk - Suse

This is a discussion on GRUB error 23 in OpenSUSE 10.3 with RAID disk - Suse ; Hi Guys, I already do a lot of googling for this problem and I met a lot of source too but none of it is helping. My system is using OpenSUSE 10.3 with HP Proliant ML 110 that has 500 ...

  1. GRUB error 23 in OpenSUSE 10.3 with RAID disk

    Hi Guys,

    I already do a lot of googling for this problem and I met a lot of
    source too but none of it is helping. My system is using OpenSUSE 10.3
    with HP Proliant ML 110 that has 500 GB of SCSI and we ad d another
    SCSI disk 160 GB. The problem arise when I install OpenSUSE 10.3 in
    160 GB HDD, we use this just to make all the OS in our office to be
    the same, when it want to install boot loader come error 23 for GRUB,
    it is said that error in parsing number, in many forum it is said that
    you must go to the grub folder so I managed to half installed OpenSUSE
    and search device.map and menu.1st inside both of file the one that is
    recorded is /dev/....basically pointing to RAID disk (500 GB) (it's
    not where I install OpenSUSE) as primary not /dev/sda (my 160GB).

    What I want to ask is that whether I can find any format for
    device.map and menu.1st if I installed RAID disk? and if not is there
    any solution about this?

    Best Regards,

    Taz

  2. Re: GRUB error 23 in OpenSUSE 10.3 with RAID disk

    In news:6530c794-a921-45d3-ae31-48c8ac69f585@y5g2000hsf.googlegroups.com schreef Tazlambert:

    > I already do a lot of googling for this problem and I met a lot of
    > source too but none of it is helping. My system is using OpenSUSE 10.3
    > with HP Proliant ML 110 that has 500 GB of SCSI and we ad d another
    > SCSI disk 160 GB. The problem arise when I install OpenSUSE 10.3 in
    > 160 GB HDD, we use this just to make all the OS in our office to be
    > the same, when it want to install boot loader come error 23 for GRUB,
    > it is said that error in parsing number, in many forum it is said that
    > you must go to the grub folder so I managed to half installed OpenSUSE
    > and search device.map and menu.1st inside both of file the one that is
    > recorded is /dev/....basically pointing to RAID disk (500 GB) (it's
    > not where I install OpenSUSE) as primary not /dev/sda (my 160GB).

    It looks like there's an error in /boot/grub/menu.lst.
    Can you list its contents, or at least the lines starting with gfxmenu or root?

    --
    Alex.

  3. Re: GRUB error 23 in OpenSUSE 10.3 with RAID disk

    On Jan 13, 8:25 pm, "Alex Plantema" wrote:
    > Innews:6530c794-a921-45d3-ae31-48c8ac69f585@y5g2000hsf.googlegroups.comschreef Tazlambert:
    >
    > > I already do a lot of googling for this problem and I met a lot of
    > > source too but none of it is helping. My system is using OpenSUSE 10.3
    > > with HP Proliant ML 110 that has 500 GB of SCSI and we ad d another
    > > SCSI disk 160 GB. The problem arise when I install OpenSUSE 10.3 in
    > > 160 GB HDD, we use this just to make all the OS in our office to be
    > > the same, when it want to install boot loader come error 23 for GRUB,
    > > it is said that error in parsing number, in many forum it is said that
    > > you must go to the grub folder so I managed to half installed OpenSUSE
    > > and search device.map and menu.1st inside both of file the one that is
    > > recorded is /dev/....basically pointing to RAID disk (500 GB) (it's
    > > not where I install OpenSUSE) as primary not /dev/sda (my 160GB).

    > It looks like there's an error in /boot/grub/menu.lst.
    > Can you list its contents, or at least the lines starting with gfxmenu or root?
    >
    > --
    > Alex.

    Here is the file that you asked

    1. device.map

    (hd0) /dev/mapper/ddf1_Data

    2. menu.1st

    # Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Tue Jan 15 17:10:56 WIT 2008
    default 0
    timeout 8
    gfxmenu (/dev/sda2,1)/boot/message
    ##YaST - activate

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
    linux###
    title openSUSE 10.3
    root (/dev/sda2,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.5-31-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-
    SATA_FB160C4081_5RX04FC3-part2 vga=0x314 resume=/dev/sda1
    splash=silent showopts
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.5-31-default

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
    failsafe###
    title Failsafe -- openSUSE 10.3
    root (/dev/sda2,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.5-31-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-
    SATA_FB160C4081_5RX04FC3-part2 vga=normal showopts ide=nodma apm=off
    acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off 3
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.5-31-default

    FYI sda2 is the root and sda1 is swap while the other is RAID that
    appear as sdb and sdc

    I hope you can give me some clue....Here is the file that you asked

[...]

  4. Re: GRUB error 23 in OpenSUSE 10.3 with RAID disk

    In news:cad1dd50-bfd3-4409-814e-b074c61a6b20@t1g2000pra.googlegroups.com schreef Tazlambert:

    >gfxmenu (/dev/sda2,1)/boot/message
    > root (/dev/sda2,1)
    > root (/dev/sda2,1)

    I think these lines should be replaced by:

    gfxmenu (hd1,1)/boot/message
    root (hd1,1)
    root (hd1,1)

    If that doesn't work, try hd0 instead of hd1.

    --
    Alex.

  5. Re: GRUB error 23 in OpenSUSE 10.3 with RAID disk

    On Jan 15, 1:29 am, "Alex Plantema" wrote:
    > Innews:cad1dd50-bfd3-4409-814e-b074c61a6b20@t1g2000pra.googlegroups.comschreef Tazlambert:
    >
    > >gfxmenu (/dev/sda2,1)/boot/message
    > > root (/dev/sda2,1)
    > > root (/dev/sda2,1)

    > I think these lines should be replaced by:
    >
    > gfxmenu (hd1,1)/boot/message
    > root (hd1,1)
    > root (hd1,1)
    >
    > If that doesn't work, try hd0 instead of hd1.
    >
    > --
    > Alex.

    but i think hd is not for scsi drive, while both of my disk is scsi,
    with arrangement like this:
    /dev/sda ->160 GB where I put my Linux and boot
    /dev/sdb ->Raid (fake)
    /dev/sdc ->Raid (fake)

  6. Re: GRUB error 23 in OpenSUSE 10.3 with RAID disk

    On Jan 15, 1:29 am, "Alex Plantema" wrote:
    > Innews:cad1dd50-bfd3-4409-814e-b074c61a6b20@t1g2000pra.googlegroups.comschreef Tazlambert:
    >
    > >gfxmenu (/dev/sda2,1)/boot/message
    > > root (/dev/sda2,1)
    > > root (/dev/sda2,1)

    > I think these lines should be replaced by:
    >
    > gfxmenu (hd1,1)/boot/message
    > root (hd1,1)
    > root (hd1,1)
    >
    > If that doesn't work, try hd0 instead of hd1.
    >
    > --
    > Alex.

    but i think hd is not for scsi drive, while both of my disk is scsi,
    with arrangement like this:
    /dev/sda ->160 GB where I put my Linux and boot
    /dev/sdb ->Raid (fake)
    /dev/sdc ->Raid (fake)

  7. Re: GRUB error 23 in OpenSUSE 10.3 with RAID disk

    In news:6a25b96c-ea1c-4a36-bdca-ea93e95ecc57@v4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com schreef Tazlambert:

    > but i think hd is not for scsi drive, while both of my disk is scsi,
    > with arrangement like this:
    > /dev/sda ->160 GB where I put my Linux and boot
    > /dev/sdb ->Raid (fake)
    > /dev/sdc ->Raid (fake)

    Grub accepts hd only.

    --
    Alex.

  8. Re: GRUB error 23 in OpenSUSE 10.3 with RAID disk

    I ran into this problem as well with a Dell Dimension 8400 and RAID. The following is a summary of how I resolved the issue.

    I have three physical drives configured in the system. The first two drives (SATA-1 and SATA-2 in the BIOS) are mapped using the BIOS RAID to a RAID-0 and RAID-1 volume (each spans both drives). The third drive (SATA-3 in the BIOS) is where I've installed OpenSUSE 10.3.

    During the OpenSUSE installation I noted that the partitioner essentially ignored the BIOS RAID volumes and exposed the underlying physical disks (it's really software RAID after all). Also, OpenSUSE was installed on /dev/sdb. (I wonder why the disk order is different here than in the BIOS??).

    Proceding to the boot loader configuration I made sure that GRUB was getting installed to /dev/sdb since I didn't want to mess up my Windows installation on the other disks.

    I proceeded through the OpenSUSE installation and just ignored the error regarding the boot loader installation. Soon after, the installer rebooted the PC.

    When the PC rebooted, GRUB complained with error 23. I dropped into the GRUB console (hit 'c'). At the GRUB prompt I typed:

    grub> find /boot/grub/stage1

    After taking note of the location (hd0,4 in my case), I rebooted the PC with Ctrl-Alt-Del. (If you're having trouble getting find to work look here - FedoraForum.org - How to install GRUB on the MBR).

    After rebooting I browsed into the GRUB menu and choose to edit ('e') the first line of the startup script. In my case, the original OpenSUSE 10.3 GRUB commands looked like:
    root (/dev/sdb5,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.5-31-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3160023AS_5MT07AKH-part5 vga=0x31a resume=/dev/sdb1 splash=silent showopts
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.5-31-default
    I edited the line that defined the root path for the boot sequence by replacing "/dev/sdb5,4" with "hd0,4". The new script looked like:
    root (hd0,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.5-31-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3160023AS_5MT07AKH-part5 vga=0x31a resume=/dev/sdb1 splash=silent showopts
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.5-31-default
    After fixing the "root" definition I hit 'b' to boot and the installer poped back up again to continue the OpenSUSE installation. I fixed the root definition manually every time the installer rebooted.

    After the installer finally finished and I got into OpenSUSE, I opened up a terminal window and, using "su", opened up the /boot/grub/menu.lst file. (I'm a Windows user so I typed "kate /boot/grub/menu.lst &". I then replaced all instances of "/dev/sdb5" with "hd0" and saved the file. I also deleted the ###Don't change this comment... lines because YaST seemed to want to undo my changes later.

    I was then able to reboot the system without any issues.

    In summary, the OpenSUSE installer will not correctly configure the GRUB boot options if you have RAID (or perhaps multiple hdds??). Ignore the bootloader installation warning. When you reboot, drop into the the GRUB console to "find /boot/grub/stage1". Make note of the drive where GRUB finds this path. Manually edit the GRUB config each time you boot while the installer is working. After OpenSUSE finishes installing, update /boot/grub/menu.lst file with the updated path.

+ Reply to Thread