File types - Suse

This is a discussion on File types - Suse ; I have three asm files (for the ASM51 assembler). In Konqueror, one is a "plain text document", one is a "differences between files", and one is "unknown". The plain text document is one I wrote, using Kate. The other two ...

  1. File types

    I have three asm files (for the ASM51 assembler). In Konqueror, one is
    a "plain text document", one is a "differences between files", and one
    is "unknown". The plain text document is one I wrote, using Kate. The
    other two I downloaded. It's no big deal, they all load in ANY text
    editor, but I was wondering why they are different file types. I wanted
    to be able to view them in Konqueror when I click on them, but it won't
    load the "diff" file. The unknown file opens the "open with" dialog. The
    plain text file does open in Konqueror. I tried copying the contents of
    the unknown and diff files and pasting them into a newly created (empty)
    text file, using Kate, then tried with gedit. When saved with either,
    they are still the same types, unknown and diff. Apparently the ".asm"
    extension doesn't determine the file type. So my question: can I force
    the file types to be "plain text"?
    Now I've got Kate to open all but the "unknown" type. I'd like to
    open them ALL with one click, either in Konqueror or Kate. I suppose
    Kate is the better choice. If all else fails, I can right click to get
    the "open with" dialog, but I'm a lazy bastard. Any ideas?

  2. Re: File types - more info

    Algazm wrote:
    > I have three asm files (for the ASM51 assembler). In Konqueror, one is
    > a "plain text document", one is a "differences between files", and one
    > is "unknown". The plain text document is one I wrote, using Kate. The
    > other two I downloaded. It's no big deal, they all load in ANY text
    > editor, but I was wondering why they are different file types. I wanted
    > to be able to view them in Konqueror when I click on them, but it won't
    > load the "diff" file. The unknown file opens the "open with" dialog. The
    > plain text file does open in Konqueror. I tried copying the contents of
    > the unknown and diff files and pasting them into a newly created (empty)
    > text file, using Kate, then tried with gedit. When saved with either,
    > they are still the same types, unknown and diff. Apparently the ".asm"
    > extension doesn't determine the file type. So my question: can I force
    > the file types to be "plain text"?
    > Now I've got Kate to open all but the "unknown" type. I'd like to
    > open them ALL with one click, either in Konqueror or Kate. I suppose
    > Kate is the better choice. If all else fails, I can right click to get
    > the "open with" dialog, but I'm a lazy bastard. Any ideas?

    Maybe this is a clue?
    I tried the "file " in the console for the 3 files mentioned
    above; the "unknown" and "diff" files returned "ASCII English text, with
    CRLF line terminators". The file I created just returns "ASCII text".

  3. Re: File types - more info

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 06:20:46 +0000, Algazm wrote:

    > Maybe this is a clue?
    > I tried the "file " in the console for the 3 files mentioned
    > above; the "unknown" and "diff" files returned "ASCII English text, with
    > CRLF line terminators". The file I created just returns "ASCII text".

    run dos2unix on the two files with carriage return and line feed line
    termination.

  4. Re: File types

    Algazm wrote:

    > I have three asm files (for the ASM51 assembler). In Konqueror, one is
    > a "plain text document", one is a "differences between files", and one
    > is "unknown". The plain text document is one I wrote, using Kate. The
    > other two I downloaded. It's no big deal, they all load in ANY text
    > editor, but I was wondering why they are different file types. I wanted
    > to be able to view them in Konqueror when I click on them, but it won't
    > load the "diff" file. The unknown file opens the "open with" dialog. The
    > plain text file does open in Konqueror. I tried copying the contents of
    > the unknown and diff files and pasting them into a newly created (empty)
    > text file, using Kate, then tried with gedit. When saved with either,
    > they are still the same types, unknown and diff. Apparently the ".asm"
    > extension doesn't determine the file type. So my question: can I force
    > the file types to be "plain text"?
    > Now I've got Kate to open all but the "unknown" type. I'd like to
    > open them ALL with one click, either in Konqueror or Kate. I suppose
    > Kate is the better choice. If all else fails, I can right click to get
    > the "open with" dialog, but I'm a lazy bastard. Any ideas?

    Go to Settings -> Configure Konqueror -> File Associations

    Here you will find file types classified under different groups. For each
    group you can choose whether to show the files it contains in a separate or
    embedded viewer (by default).
    If you expand one of the groups (+) you can see the individual file types it
    contains. For each file type you can define (under General) the Filename
    Pattern (aka extension) and the priority of applications to open it with.
    You can also add extensions and applications for the particular file type.
    Under Embedding you can override the default setting for the group when
    opening the file (see above).

    If you can't find the type of file you want somewhere in the lists, you can
    define a new one with Add.

    HTH

    --
    Les
    Posted exclusively to the alt.os.linux.suse newsgroup on Usenet

  5. Re: File types - more info

    graham wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 06:20:46 +0000, Algazm wrote:
    >

    >> Maybe this is a clue?
    >> I tried the "file " in the console for the 3 files mentioned
    >> above; the "unknown" and "diff" files returned "ASCII English text, with
    >> CRLF line terminators". The file I created just returns "ASCII text".

    > run dos2unix on the two files with carriage return and line feed line
    > termination.

    That didn't work.... I tried various options (ok, just -c option)..

  6. Re: File types

    Leslie Danks wrote:
    > Algazm wrote:
    >
    >> I have three asm files (for the ASM51 assembler). In Konqueror, one is
    >> a "plain text document", one is a "differences between files", and one
    >> is "unknown". The plain text document is one I wrote, using Kate. The
    >> other two I downloaded. It's no big deal, they all load in ANY text
    >> editor, but I was wondering why they are different file types. I wanted
    >> to be able to view them in Konqueror when I click on them, but it won't
    >> load the "diff" file. The unknown file opens the "open with" dialog. The
    >> plain text file does open in Konqueror. I tried copying the contents of
    >> the unknown and diff files and pasting them into a newly created (empty)
    >> text file, using Kate, then tried with gedit. When saved with either,
    >> they are still the same types, unknown and diff. Apparently the ".asm"
    >> extension doesn't determine the file type. So my question: can I force
    >> the file types to be "plain text"?
    >> Now I've got Kate to open all but the "unknown" type. I'd like to
    >> open them ALL with one click, either in Konqueror or Kate. I suppose
    >> Kate is the better choice. If all else fails, I can right click to get
    >> the "open with" dialog, but I'm a lazy bastard. Any ideas?

    > Go to Settings -> Configure Konqueror -> File Associations
    >
    > Here you will find file types classified under different groups. For each
    > group you can choose whether to show the files it contains in a separate or
    > embedded viewer (by default).
    > If you expand one of the groups (+) you can see the individual file types it
    > contains. For each file type you can define (under General) the Filename
    > Pattern (aka extension) and the priority of applications to open it with.
    > You can also add extensions and applications for the particular file type.
    > Under Embedding you can override the default setting for the group when
    > opening the file (see above).
    >
    > If you can't find the type of file you want somewhere in the lists, you can
    > define a new one with Add.
    >
    > HTH

    Thanks! That worked. I added "Assembly Language" to "Known Types" in
    "text"(I forget how already!), then I expanded "text" Known Type, added
    *asm and *ASM filename patterns. In "Description" I took a wild guess
    and added Unknown;Diff;Text and put "Kate" in the Application Preference
    Order. Now they ALL load in Kate. If I right-click, I get Kate, then
    Konqueror as the first choices to open it with. Thanks again!

  7. Re: File types

    Algazm wrote:

    The file type was supposed to be "Plain Text Document".

+ Reply to Thread