10.3 hangs after hibernate - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.3 hangs after hibernate - Suse ; I installed 10.3 on a new box: ecs nforcem6-a, AMD X2 4800, evga geforce 8400gs video card (using the nvidia driver). It worked fine for a few days, but now every time I hibernate it, when I restart it either ...

  1. 10.3 hangs after hibernate

    I installed 10.3 on a new box: ecs nforcem6-a, AMD X2 4800, evga geforce
    8400gs video card (using the nvidia driver). It worked fine for a few
    days, but now every time I hibernate it, when I restart it either hangs
    with no response to kybd or mouse, or ksoftirqd and events take up
    99.99% of CPU and are unkillable. I see nothing in /var/log/messages
    that give me any clue as to what the problem is, so I'm at a loss what
    might fix it. Suggestions appreciated.
    --
    signone

  2. Re: 10.3 hangs after hibernate

    On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 17:22 -0800, fudo wrote:
    > I installed 10.3 on a new box: ecs nforcem6-a, AMD X2 4800, evga geforce
    > 8400gs video card (using the nvidia driver). It worked fine for a few
    > days, but now every time I hibernate it, when I restart it either hangs
    > with no response to kybd or mouse, or ksoftirqd and events take up
    > 99.99% of CPU and are unkillable. I see nothing in /var/log/messages
    > that give me any clue as to what the problem is, so I'm at a loss what
    > might fix it. Suggestions appreciated.

    If hibernate works.. you are very fortunate. There are VERY FEW
    laptop configurations that support it and there are too many variables
    (probably) to assume this will change any time soon.

    Suspend to disk should work though and might be a safer more
    reliable alternative. Give it a shot.

    The kernel folks are actively working on power saving and suspension
    issues, but I don't think there's an ETA for a "works better"
    release yet.

    If you must use hibernate, you might try NOT using the nvidia
    driver and see if that makes things work. Not saying it's
    the root cause... so if that does work, don't necessarily
    blame nvidia.

  3. Re: 10.3 hangs after hibernate

    In article <1199842894.15352.37.camel@behemoth.csg.stercomm.co m>,
    Chris Cox wrote:

    > If hibernate works.. you are very fortunate. There are VERY FEW
    > laptop configurations that support it and there are too many variables
    > (probably) to assume this will change any time soon.
    >
    > Suspend to disk should work though and might be a safer more
    > reliable alternative. Give it a shot.

    Sorry, my bad; it is suspend to disk I'm using, and this isn't a laptop.
    --
    signone

  4. Re: 10.3 hangs after hibernate

    In fudo:

    [Snip...]

    > Sorry, my bad; it is suspend to disk I'm using, and this isn't a laptop.

    I can't help you directly, but I am able to do suspend to disk on an old
    Compaq Deskpro EN under SuSE 10.0 with a big caveat. Like you, it has no
    problem suspending and resuming UNLESS I happen to have a USB stick (for
    backups) mounted. When I try to resume with the USB stick, the system is
    hardlocked so bad only a coldstart (power off/on) reboot fixes it.

    Sorry I don't have any additional info; I've never gotten this fixed.

  5. Re: 10.3 hangs after hibernate

    fudo wrote:
    > In article <1199842894.15352.37.camel@behemoth.csg.stercomm.co m>,
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    >> If hibernate works.. you are very fortunate. There are VERY FEW
    >> laptop configurations that support it and there are too many variables
    >> (probably) to assume this will change any time soon.
    >>
    >> Suspend to disk should work though and might be a safer more
    >> reliable alternative. Give it a shot.

    > Sorry, my bad; it is suspend to disk I'm using, and this isn't a laptop.

    Hmmm... well, I've never tested it on anything but a laptop.
    Kernel mail list does seem to indicate that there are some things
    that aren't quite ready with regards to "sleeping" style operations
    on desktops and servers... but can't say if this affects suspend
    to disk or not.

    Keep us posted if you discover anything.

  6. Re: 10.3 hangs after hibernate

    fudo wrote:
    > I installed 10.3 on a new box: ecs nforcem6-a, AMD X2 4800, evga geforce
    > 8400gs video card (using the nvidia driver). It worked fine for a few
    > days, but now every time I hibernate it, when I restart it either hangs
    > with no response to kybd or mouse, or ksoftirqd and events take up
    > 99.99% of CPU and are unkillable. I see nothing in /var/log/messages
    > that give me any clue as to what the problem is, so I'm at a loss what
    > might fix it. Suggestions appreciated.

    I just turn mine off. Booting up is faster than trying to un-hibernate.

    --
    Booboo ? 3 7/8

  7. Re: 10.3 hangs after hibernate

    "booboo 0/00 " wrote in

    > fudo wrote:
    >> I installed 10.3 on a new box: ecs nforcem6-a, AMD X2 4800, evga
    >> geforce 8400gs video card (using the nvidia driver). It worked
    >> fine for a few days, but now every time I hibernate it, when I
    >> restart it either hangs with no response to kybd or mouse, or
    >> ksoftirqd and events take up 99.99% of CPU and are unkillable. I
    >> see nothing in /var/log/messages that give me any clue as to what
    >> the problem is, so I'm at a loss what might fix it. Suggestions
    >> appreciated.

    > I just turn mine off. Booting up is faster than trying to
    > un-hibernate.

    I find the same. However suspend to RAM works after a bit of
    tinkering. (Seee http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram)

    --
    *********** To reply by e-mail, make w single in address
    **************

  8. Re: 10.3 hangs after hibernate

    On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Ian Gay wrote:-

    >"booboo 0/00 " wrote in

    >> I just turn mine off. Booting up is faster than trying to
    >> un-hibernate.
    >>

    >I find the same. However suspend to RAM works after a bit of
    >tinkering. (Seee http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram)

    I find a restart after using the "suspend to disc" is a lot faster than
    booting from cold.

    As for "suspend to ram", I wouldn't use that with a desktop system as
    all it takes is a short power loss. Once that happens, all the contents
    of memory is lost and so you end up having to restart from cold. With
    laptops/notebooks, there is a battery supply to maintain the memory
    contents and so a power loss can be endured for quite a few hours.

    As for the OP, looking at:

    it's possible that the problem is with the nVidia driver so, as Chris
    Cox says, try without the nVidia driver and see if that works.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a0

  9. Re: 10.3 hangs after hibernate

    In article <6gacDSQKiShHFwLr@dev.null.davjam.org>,
    David Bolt wrote:

    > As for the OP, looking at:
    >
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...22/+bug/33372/
    > comments/33>
    >
    > it's possible that the problem is with the nVidia driver so, as Chris
    > Cox says, try without the nVidia driver and see if that works.

    Yeach. I couldn't configure the nv driver not to give me a monitor that
    flickered so bad that I'd have a headache after an hour's work.

    And reading the whole thread you've linked to, it doesn't really sound
    like the same problem to me. That thread had to do with never getting
    video back after suspend or hibernate. I get video back, but the
    computer quickly becomes unresponsive. Based on Harold's comment above,
    I suspect this is more likely an issue with USB, though I haven't had
    time to test that suspicion yet.
    --
    signone

  10. Re: 10.3 hangs after hibernate

    In article ,
    fudo wrote:

    > Based on Harold's comment above,
    > I suspect this is more likely an issue with USB, though I haven't had
    > time to test that suspicion yet.

    Meh, well, so much for my suspicions. All USB dongles disconnected, no
    change.
    --
    signone

+ Reply to Thread