Window title bar disappeared - Suse

This is a discussion on Window title bar disappeared - Suse ; For no apparent reason my windows title bars have disappeared under KDE in Suse 10.3 It has been working flawlessly for the past months. I donít use things like compiz (never got it working). I have searched allover the net ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

  1. Window title bar disappeared

    For no apparent reason my windows title bars have disappeared under KDE
    in Suse 10.3 It has been working flawlessly for the past months.

    I donít use things like compiz (never got it working). I have searched
    allover the net for a solution, and (besides some suggestion to
    reinstall the whole system) nothing worked.

    Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

    Thanks very much for any suggestion,

    Joost

    p.s. The xorg.conf file looks like the following:

    Section "Files"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc:unscaled"
    .... etc
    FontPath "/opt/kde3/share/fonts"
    InputDevices "/dev/gpmdata"
    InputDevices "/dev/input/mice"
    EndSection

    Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "on"
    Option "IgnoreABI" "on"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "type1"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "glx"
    Load "dri"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "kbd"
    Identifier "Keyboard[0]"
    Option "Protocol" "Standard"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    Option "XkbModel" "microsoftpro"
    Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "evdev"
    Identifier "Mouse[1]"
    Option "Buttons" "10"
    Option "InputFashion" "Mouse"
    Option "Name" "Logitech USB R*"
    Option "Protocol" "event"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "on"
    Option "Vendor" "Sysp"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Option "CalcAlgorithm" "XServerPool"
    DisplaySize 386 290
    HorizSync 30-98
    Identifier "Monitor[0]"
    ModelName "MD1998LM"
    Option "DPMS"
    VendorName "MEDION"
    VertRefresh 50-120
    UseModes "Modes[0]"
    EndSection

    Section "Modes"
    Identifier "Modes[0]"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 15
    Modes "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1366x768" "1280x800"
    "1152x864" "1280x768" "1024x768" "1280x600" "1024x600" "800x600"
    "768x576" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1366x768" "1280x800"
    "1152x864" "1280x768" "1024x768" "1280x600" "1024x600" "800x600"
    "768x576" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1366x768" "1280x800"
    "1152x864" "1280x768" "1024x768" "1280x600" "1024x600" "800x600"
    "768x576" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1366x768" "1280x800"
    "1152x864" "1280x768" "1024x768" "1280x600" "1024x600" "800x600"
    "768x576" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    Device "Device[0]"
    Identifier "Screen[0]"
    Monitor "Monitor[0]"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    BoardName "RADEON X700 PRO (RV410 5E4B)"
    BusID "1:0:0"
    Driver "fglrx"
    Identifier "Device[0]"
    Option "FSAADisableGamma" "no"
    Option "CapabilitiesEx" "0x00000000"
    Option "CenterMode" "off"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX3" "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX4" "0.000000"
    Option "mtrr" "off"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY1" "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAScale" "1"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY2" "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX5" "0.000000"
    Option "ForceGenericCPU" "no"
    Option "GammaCorrectionI" "0x00000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX0" "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY3" "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY4" "0.000000"
    Option "no_accel" "no"
    Option "FSAACustomizeMSPos" "no"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY5" "0.000000"
    Option "UseFastTLS" "0"
    Option "GammaCorrectionII" "0x00000000"
    Option "BlockSignalsOnLock" "on"
    Option "FSAAEnable" "no"
    Option "KernelModuleParm" "locked-userpages=0"
    Option "Capabilities" "0x00000000"
    Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
    Option "no_dri" "no"
    Option "StereoSyncEnable" "1"
    Option "PseudoColorVisuals" "off"
    Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX1" "0.000000"
    Option "Stereo" "off"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX2" "0.000000"
    Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY0" "0.000000"
    Option "ScreenOverlap" "0"
    VendorName "ATI"
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout[all]"
    InputDevice "Keyboard[0]" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Mouse[1]" "CorePointer"
    Option "Clone" "off"
    Option "Xinerama" "off"
    Screen "Screen[0]"
    EndSection

    Section "DRI"
    Group "video"
    Mode 0660
    EndSection

    Section "Extensions"
    Option "DAMAGE" "false"
    EndSection

  2. Re: Window title bar disappeared

    Joost van der Waa schreef:

    > For no apparent reason my windows title bars have disappeared under KDE
    > in Suse 10.3

    The program that give you your windows under kde is called kwin.
    Can you do ALT-F2 and run kwin from there?
    Or even better do ALT-F2 and run konsole, and try to run kwin from the
    konsole and see if it spits out any errors.
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  3. Re: Window title bar disappeared

    Chris Maaskant wrote:
    > Joost van der Waa schreef:
    >
    >> For no apparent reason my windows title bars have disappeared under KDE
    >> in Suse 10.3

    > The program that give you your windows under kde is called kwin.
    > Can you do ALT-F2 and run kwin from there?
    > Or even better do ALT-F2 and run konsole, and try to run kwin from the
    > konsole and see if it spits out any errors.

    and if you get an error that a window manager is already running, type
    instead kwin --replace.

  4. Re: Window title bar disappeared

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor schreef:

    > and if you get an error that a window manager is already running, type
    > instead kwin --replace.

    Better to kill the running kwin and start again from the konsole to see
    errors if it won't start.
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  5. Re: Window title bar disappeared

    Chris Maaskant wrote:
    > Joost van der Waa schreef:
    >
    >> For no apparent reason my windows title bars have disappeared under KDE
    >> in Suse 10.3

    > The program that give you your windows under kde is called kwin.
    > Can you do ALT-F2 and run kwin from there?
    > Or even better do ALT-F2 and run konsole, and try to run kwin from the
    > konsole and see if it spits out any errors.

    Hi Chris,

    When I start kwin in a terminal window I get a window title back for
    that window.
    The message I get is:
    Kbuildsycoca running
    DCOP Cleaning up dead connections

    But the end of the story is that after that my keyboard is completely
    dead for any window I open.

    Does this give you any clue how to solve this problem?

    Joost

  6. Re: Window title bar disappeared

    Joost van der Waa schreef:

    > When I start kwin in a terminal window I get a window title back for
    > that window.
    > The message I get is:
    > Kbuildsycoca running
    > DCOP Cleaning up dead connections
    >
    > But the end of the story is that after that my keyboard is completely
    > dead for any window I open.
    >
    > Does this give you any clue how to solve this problem?

    Nope, not really, but it shows that kwin can run.
    As for the keyboard being dead, it should have nothing to do with kwin.

    Try to add a new user to the system and see if this new user can run kde
    without problems, just to rule out this is a systemwide problem.
    Most likely something is screwed in your ~/.kde directory.
    If the latter, then backup your existing ~/.kde directory delete the ~/.kde
    directory and restart kde.
    This will give you a fresh kde desktop.
    Unfortunaly this will also wipe out any settings for your kde programs, like
    knode or kmail.
    But you can copy them back from your backup.
    Most settings are in ~/.kde/share/apps and ~/.kde/share/config.
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  7. Re: Window title bar disappeared

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 11:15:29 +0100, Chris Maaskant wrote:

    > Joost van der Waa schreef:
    >
    >> When I start kwin in a terminal window I get a window title back for
    >> that window.
    >> The message I get is:
    >> Kbuildsycoca running
    >> DCOP Cleaning up dead connections
    >>
    >> But the end of the story is that after that my keyboard is completely
    >> dead for any window I open.
    >>
    >> Does this give you any clue how to solve this problem?

    > Nope, not really, but it shows that kwin can run. As for the keyboard
    > being dead, it should have nothing to do with kwin.
    >
    > Try to add a new user to the system and see if this new user can run kde
    > without problems, just to rule out this is a systemwide problem. Most
    > likely something is screwed in your ~/.kde directory. If the latter,
    > then backup your existing ~/.kde directory delete the ~/.kde directory
    > and restart kde.
    > This will give you a fresh kde desktop. Unfortunaly this will also wipe
    > out any settings for your kde programs, like knode or kmail.
    > But you can copy them back from your backup. Most settings are in
    > ~/.kde/share/apps and ~/.kde/share/config.

    If the op is referring to the bar showing the name of the program open in
    the window, then it can be restored for each open window by :
    with the focus in the window press alt-F3
    when the menu pops up choose 'advanced' then 'no border'

    If this works it should help in knowing what to look for in a config file.

  8. Re: Window title bar disappeared

    /home/username/.kde/Autostart

    go to the above directory and make sure it's empty
    it could be that you have a virus, linux can't claim it's not vulnerable
    to viruses anymore.

    or you could try and create a new user account and see if the window
    decoration works then from there you will know what is going on.

  9. Re: Window title bar disappeared

    Darklight wrote:
    > /home/username/.kde/Autostart
    >
    > go to the above directory and make sure it's empty

    This might be correct. No idea.

    > it could be that you have a virus, linux can't claim it's not vulnerable
    > to viruses anymore.

    This is complete and utter bull**** and you know it. It CAN claim that
    there are no virusses in the wild that would have such an effect.

    houghi
    --
    It's people. Source code is made out of people! They're making our
    source out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle

  10. Re: Window title bar disappeared

    houghi wrote:

    > Darklight wrote:
    >> /home/username/.kde/Autostart
    >>
    >> go to the above directory and make sure it's empty

    > This might be correct. No idea.
    >
    >> it could be that you have a virus, linux can't claim it's not vulnerable
    >> to viruses anymore.

    > This is complete and utter bull**** and you know it. It CAN claim that
    > there are no virusses in the wild that would have such an effect.
    >
    > houghi

    how do you know what a virus can do to a computer.

    and if you think i am saying a virus done this to his computer i am not
    saying that. I said it could be down to a virus.

    and concerning viruses i had ten of them after i scanned my os with antivir
    after i caught a virus from using knode.

  11. Re: Window title bar disappeared

    Darklight wrote:
    > [...]
    > and concerning viruses i had ten of them after i scanned my os with antivir
    > after i caught a virus from using knode.

    Doesn't antivir scan for Windows viruses?

  12. Re: Window title bar disappeared

    Darklight wrote:
    > and concerning viruses i had ten of them after i scanned my os with
    > antivir after i caught a virus from using knode.

    Knode? Please, can you expand on that?

    Thanks,

    -G-

  13. Re: Window title bar disappeared

    Darklight wrote:
    > and if you think i am saying a virus done this to his computer i am not
    > saying that. I said it could be down to a virus.

    No, it could not.

    > and concerning viruses i had ten of them after i scanned my os with antivir
    > after i caught a virus from using knode.

    I do not believe that you have cought Linux virusses. Perhaps you have
    cought Windows virusses. That is possible, but not 10 Linux viruses.
    Unpossible.

    houghi
    --
    It's people. Source code is made out of people! They're making our
    source out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle
    for code. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!

  14. Re: Window title bar disappeared

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    > Doesn't antivir scan for Windows viruses?

    ROFL ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  15. Re: Window title bar disappeared

    Darklight wrote:

    > and concerning viruses i had ten of them after i scanned my os with
    > antivir after i caught a virus from using knode.

    and did the virus something to the system?
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.8 / openSUSE 10.3

  16. Re: Window title bar disappeared

    Darklight wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Darklight wrote:
    >>> /home/username/.kde/Autostart
    >>>
    >>> go to the above directory and make sure it's empty

    >> This might be correct. No idea.
    >>
    >>> it could be that you have a virus, linux can't claim it's not vulnerable
    >>> to viruses anymore.

    I am sure you will show us the viruses which exist for linux, will you?
    And naturally real ones, existing *now* in the wild

    >> This is complete and utter bull**** and you know it. It CAN claim that
    >> there are no virusses in the wild that would have such an effect.
    >>
    >> houghi

    > how do you know what a virus can do to a computer.

    We are talking about linux here, not wintendo

    > and if you think i am saying a virus done this to his computer i am not
    > saying that. I said it could be down to a virus.
    >
    > and concerning viruses i had ten of them after i scanned my os with
    > antivir after i caught a virus from using knode.

    I have read better lies from bacteria. They are more intelligent, it seems
    --
    To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it.
    To mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it.

  17. Re: Window title bar disappeared

    -G- wrote:

    > Darklight wrote:
    >> and concerning viruses i had ten of them after i scanned my os with
    >> antivir after i caught a virus from using knode.

    > Knode? Please, can you expand on that?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -G-

    Certainly. He made it up. Out of full cloth
    --
    Machine-Independent, adj.:
    Does not run on any existing machine.

  18. Re: Window title bar disappeared

    On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, Darklight wrote:-

    >how do you know what a virus can do to a computer.

    Almost all of the present viruses running around in the wild do three
    things:

    1, set up a web server on the infected system;
    2, set up a DNS server on the infected system;
    3, send a small number of spam mails from that infected system.

    Basically, these all affect Windows systems and have no effect on other
    OSes, apart from taking up resources dealing with the spams.

    There were a few worms running around, quite some time ago[0], that
    infected Linux systems that were using vulnerable versions of phpBB,
    and/or similar, on top of an Apache server that would install a
    root-kit. However, you're very unlikely to even see those as you won't
    see them unless you look at your web server logs and then tracked back
    what the worm was trying to do.

    >and if you think i am saying a virus done this to his computer i am not
    >saying that. I said it could be down to a virus.

    That would be Not likely. A virus is going to want to be undetected, and
    screwing around with someones window decorations is not a good way to go
    undetected.

    >and concerning viruses i had ten of them after i scanned my os with antivir
    >after i caught a virus from using knode.

    Now that's not possible. You may have received a Windows virus and you
    virus scanner detected it but, even if you could run the virus, you
    wouldn't get infected by it. On top of that, I'm guessing you meant
    Kmail rather than Knode, the news reader. If so, Kmail won't
    auto-execute any attachment, and I don't think any other mail reader
    would do either.

    [0] I think it's now over 2 years since I last saw one of those worms,
    so I could probably say they aren't running around in the wild today
    with a fair amount of certainty.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a0

  19. Re: Window title bar disappeared

    In David Bolt:

    [Snip...]

    > auto-execute any attachment

    FWIW...

    OP apparently doesn't know WTF about Usenet, email, or english grammar.

    In short: IMO, WHBT. HTH...

  20. Re: Window title bar disappeared

    Chris Maaskant wrote:
    > Joost van der Waa schreef:
    >
    >> When I start kwin in a terminal window I get a window title back for
    >> that window.
    >> The message I get is:
    >> Kbuildsycoca running
    >> DCOP Cleaning up dead connections
    >>
    >> But the end of the story is that after that my keyboard is completely
    >> dead for any window I open.
    >>
    >> Does this give you any clue how to solve this problem?

    > Nope, not really, but it shows that kwin can run.
    > As for the keyboard being dead, it should have nothing to do with kwin.
    >
    > Try to add a new user to the system and see if this new user can run kde
    > without problems, just to rule out this is a systemwide problem.
    > Most likely something is screwed in your ~/.kde directory.
    > If the latter, then backup your existing ~/.kde directory delete the ~/.kde
    > directory and restart kde.
    > This will give you a fresh kde desktop.
    > Unfortunaly this will also wipe out any settings for your kde programs, like
    > knode or kmail.
    > But you can copy them back from your backup.
    > Most settings are in ~/.kde/share/apps and ~/.kde/share/config.

    Hi Chris,

    Tested your procedure, but whith no success. Same behavior for the new
    user. The problem is pretty annoying, because you can't even resize the
    windows :-(

    Any other suggestion?

    Joost

+ Reply to Thread