Any luck with a Medion 96015 and SuSE 10.3? - Suse

This is a discussion on Any luck with a Medion 96015 and SuSE 10.3? - Suse ; Anyone have luck installing SuSE Linux 10.3 on a Medion 96015 laptop? Got the base installed, but no joy with the sound card, and wired/wireless NICs....

  1. Any luck with a Medion 96015 and SuSE 10.3?

    Anyone have luck installing SuSE Linux 10.3 on a Medion 96015
    laptop? Got the base installed, but no joy with the sound card, and
    wired/wireless NICs.

  2. Re: Any luck with a Medion 96015 and SuSE 10.3?

    scott wrote:

    > Anyone have luck installing SuSE Linux 10.3 on a Medion 96015
    > laptop? Got the base installed, but no joy with the sound card, and
    > wired/wireless NICs.

    Hi Scott,

    I can't locate datasheet for Medion 96015.
    It would be nice if you can give us information, or post output of console
    command:
    lspci
    The easiest way is to start console (terminal) program in super user mode.
    You can find it in System submenu.

    --
    Regards, Rajko.
    See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal

  3. Re: Any luck with a Medion 96015 and SuSE 10.3?

    Rajko M. wrote:
    > scott wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone have luck installing SuSE Linux 10.3 on a Medion 96015
    >> laptop? Got the base installed, but no joy with the sound card, and
    >> wired/wireless NICs.

    > Hi Scott,
    >
    > I can't locate datasheet for Medion 96015.
    > It would be nice if you can give us information, or post output of console
    > command:
    > lspci
    > The easiest way is to start console (terminal) program in super user mode.
    > You can find it in System submenu.

    I wish I could find a datasheet on it myself. I looked at their
    website as well as called them and little could be obtained. I'll get
    you the results within 24 hours. No network access on that machine...

  4. Re: Any luck with a Medion 96015 and SuSE 10.3?

    Rajko M. wrote:
    > scott wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone have luck installing SuSE Linux 10.3 on a Medion 96015
    >> laptop? Got the base installed, but no joy with the sound card, and
    >> wired/wireless NICs.

    > Hi Scott,
    >
    > I can't locate datasheet for Medion 96015.
    > It would be nice if you can give us information, or post output of console
    > command:
    > lspci
    > The easiest way is to start console (terminal) program in super user mode.
    > You can find it in System submenu.

    Here are the results:
    00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
    00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a2)
    00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 1 (rev a2)
    00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 5 (rev a2)
    00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 4 (rev a2)
    00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
    00:00.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 3 (rev a2)
    00:00.7 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 2 (rev a2)
    00:03.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
    00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI-X
    GeForce Go 6100 (rev a2)
    00:09.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
    00:0a.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge (rev a3)
    00:0a.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP51 SMBus (rev a3)
    00:0a.3 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PMU (rev a3)
    00:0b.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:0b.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:0d.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 IDE (rev f1)
    00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
    00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio
    (rev a2)
    00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
    HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
    Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
    DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
    Miscellaneous Control
    06:09.0 Ethernet controller: Winbond Electronics Corp W89C33D 802.11
    a/b/g BB/MAC

    Seems like almost everything is dependent upon MCP51

  5. Re: Any luck with a Medion 96015 and SuSE 10.3?

    scott wrote:

    > Rajko M. wrote:
    >> scott wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone have luck installing SuSE Linux 10.3 on a Medion 96015
    >>> laptop? Got the base installed, but no joy with the sound card, and
    >>> wired/wireless NICs.

    >> Hi Scott,
    >>
    >> I can't locate datasheet for Medion 96015.
    >> It would be nice if you can give us information, or post output of
    >> console command:
    >> lspci
    >> The easiest way is to start console (terminal) program in super user
    >> mode. You can find it in System submenu.
    >>

    > Here are the results:

    > 00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI-X
    > GeForce Go 6100 (rev a2)

    > 00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio
    > (rev a2)

    This one uses intel-hda driver and it should be recognized automatically by
    YaST sound module, if not you can select it manually from the list. You can
    see if module is loaded with
    lsmod
    than search for intel-hda. If you can see it than it is loaded, but sound
    might be disabled. To enable it run mixer (program Kmix or Kamix).

    > 06:09.0 Ethernet controller: Winbond Electronics Corp W89C33D 802.11
    > a/b/g BB/MAC

    http://www.amdcompare.com/ecosystem/...ct.aspx?id=601
    though if you try winbond link it tells that one needs login.
    I just sent them email complaining about that, and got response that they
    have holidays.
    Using Google I found some datasheet, but it is not very helpful.
    The only useful information is that they have driver for Linux 2.4 (kernel
    version 2.4) which is not much as almost any distro nowadays is using
    kernel 2.6.

    > Seems like almost everything is dependent upon MCP51

    It is nvidia chipset for AMD 64 bit CPU's.
    Besides Winbond and word Go in the name of graphic card, it is the same spec
    as my desktop.

    --
    Regards, Rajko.
    See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal

  6. Re: Any luck with a Medion 96015 and SuSE 10.3?

    scott wrote:

    > Rajko M. wrote:
    >> scott wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone have luck installing SuSE Linux 10.3 on a Medion 96015
    >>> laptop? Got the base installed, but no joy with the sound card, and
    >>> wired/wireless NICs.

    >> Hi Scott,
    >>
    >> I can't locate datasheet for Medion 96015.
    >> It would be nice if you can give us information, or post output of
    >> console command:
    >> lspci
    >> The easiest way is to start console (terminal) program in super user
    >> mode. You can find it in System submenu.
    >>

    > Here are the results:

    > 00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI-X
    > GeForce Go 6100 (rev a2)

    > 00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio
    > (rev a2)

    This one uses intel-hda driver and it should be recognized automatically by
    YaST sound module, if not you can select it manually from the list. You can
    see if module is loaded with
    lsmod
    than search for intel-hda. If you can see it than it is loaded, but sound
    might be disabled. To enable it run mixer (program Kmix or Kamix).

    > 06:09.0 Ethernet controller: Winbond Electronics Corp W89C33D 802.11
    > a/b/g BB/MAC

    http://www.amdcompare.com/ecosystem/...ct.aspx?id=601
    though if you try winbond link it tells that one needs login.
    I just sent them email complaining about that, and got response that they
    have holidays.
    Using Google I found some datasheet, but it is not very helpful.
    The only useful information is that they have driver for Linux 2.4 (kernel
    version 2.4) which is not much as almost any distro nowadays is using
    kernel 2.6.

    > Seems like almost everything is dependent upon MCP51

    It is nvidia chipset for AMD 64 bit CPU's.
    Besides Winbond and word Go in the name of graphic card, it is the same spec
    as my desktop.

    --
    Regards, Rajko.
    See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal

  7. Re: Any luck with a Medion 96015 and SuSE 10.3?

    Rajko M. wrote:
    > scott wrote:
    >
    >> Rajko M. wrote:

    >>> Hi Scott,
    >>>
    >>> I can't locate datasheet for Medion 96015.
    >>> It would be nice if you can give us information, or post output of
    >>> console command:
    >>> lspci
    >>> The easiest way is to start console (terminal) program in super user
    >>> mode. You can find it in System submenu.
    >>>

    >> Here are the results:

    >> 00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI-X
    >> GeForce Go 6100 (rev a2)

    >> 00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio
    >> (rev a2)

    > This one uses intel-hda driver and it should be recognized automatically by
    > YaST sound module, if not you can select it manually from the list. You can
    > see if module is loaded with
    > lsmod
    > than search for intel-hda. If you can see it than it is loaded, but sound
    > might be disabled. To enable it run mixer (program Kmix or Kamix).

    >> 06:09.0 Ethernet controller: Winbond Electronics Corp W89C33D 802.11
    >> a/b/g BB/MAC

    > http://www.amdcompare.com/ecosystem/...ct.aspx?id=601
    > though if you try winbond link it tells that one needs login.
    > I just sent them email complaining about that, and got response that they
    > have holidays.
    > Using Google I found some datasheet, but it is not very helpful.
    > The only useful information is that they have driver for Linux 2.4 (kernel
    > version 2.4) which is not much as almost any distro nowadays is using
    > kernel 2.6.
    >
    >> Seems like almost everything is dependent upon MCP51

    > It is nvidia chipset for AMD 64 bit CPU's.
    > Besides Winbond and word Go in the name of graphic card, it is the same spec
    > as my desktop.

    Thank you for the information. I see the module is not loaded, so
    how do I get it loaded?

    Also in looking at the web site you gave me, I see that they do have
    drivers for Windows but not for SuSE Linux.

    Any ideas?

  8. Re: Any luck with a Medion 96015 and SuSE 10.3?

    scott wrote:

    > Rajko M. wrote:
    >> scott wrote:

    >>> Here are the results:

    >>> 00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI-X
    >>> GeForce Go 6100 (rev a2)

    >>> 00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio
    >>> (rev a2)

    >> This one uses intel-hda driver and it should be recognized automatically
    >> by YaST sound module, if not you can select it manually from the list.
    >> You can see if module is loaded with
    >> lsmod
    >> than search for intel-hda. If you can see it than it is loaded, but sound
    >> might be disabled. To enable it run mixer (program Kmix or Kamix).

    >>> 06:09.0 Ethernet controller: Winbond Electronics Corp W89C33D 802.11
    >>> a/b/g BB/MAC

    >> http://www.amdcompare.com/ecosystem/...ct.aspx?id=601
    >> though if you try winbond link it tells that one needs login.
    >> I just sent them email complaining about that, and got response that they
    >> have holidays.
    >> Using Google I found some datasheet, but it is not very helpful.
    >> The only useful information is that they have driver for Linux 2.4
    >> (kernel version 2.4) which is not much as almost any distro nowadays is
    >> using kernel 2.6.
    >>
    >>> Seems like almost everything is dependent upon MCP51

    >> It is nvidia chipset for AMD 64 bit CPU's.
    >> Besides Winbond and word Go in the name of graphic card, it is the same
    >> spec as my desktop.
    >>

    > Thank you for the information. I see the module is not loaded, so
    > how do I get it loaded?

    I see whole a lot of articles in web forums that have no solution.

    > Also in looking at the web site you gave me, I see that they do have
    > drivers for Windows but not for SuSE Linux.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    I have no response from Winbond and I don't want to give them personal
    information for something that they should be happy if someone wants to
    download. This is what I get when I follow the link from AMD web site to
    Winbond:
    "You are not authorised to view this resource.
    You need to login."

    When I get there, and have source code, than I have to see with some of
    openSUSE kernel guys if there is anything that they can do about. I have no
    idea what has to be done to make driver working on current kernel that is
    used by almost any distribution.
    Exception are DSL and maybe some other similar mini Linux distros.

    My question will be on opensuse-kernel@opensuse.org mail list. You can
    or look in archives http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-kernel/ .

    The one of ideas that I don't know have you tried is to use ndiswrapper.
    See http://en.opensuse.org/Ndiswrapper .
    I have my Broadcom running using ndiswrapper.

    --
    Regards, Rajko.
    See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal

  9. Re: Any luck with a Medion 96015 and SuSE 10.3?

    On 4 Sty, 20:19, scott wrote:
    > Rajko M. wrote:
    > > scott wrote:

    > >> * *Here are the results:

    > >> 00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI-X
    > >> GeForce Go 6100 (rev a2)

    > >> 00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio
    > >> (rev a2)

    > > This one uses intel-hda driver and it should be recognized automaticallyby
    > > YaST sound module, if not you can select it manually from the list. You can
    > > see if module is loaded with
    > > * lsmod
    > > than search for intel-hda. If you can see it than it is loaded, but sound
    > > might be disabled. To enable it run mixer (program Kmix or Kamix).

    > >> 06:09.0 Ethernet controller: Winbond Electronics Corp W89C33D 802.11
    > >> a/b/g BB/MAC

    > >http://www.amdcompare.com/ecosystem/...ct.aspx?id=601
    > > though if you try winbond link it tells that one needs login.
    > > I just sent them email complaining about that, and got response that they
    > > have holidays.
    > > Using Google I found some datasheet, but it is not very helpful.
    > > The only useful information is that they have driver for Linux 2.4 (kernel
    > > version 2.4) which is not much as almost any distro nowadays is using
    > > kernel 2.6.

    > >> * * Seems like almost everything is dependent upon MCP51

    > > It is nvidia chipset for AMD 64 bit CPU's.
    > > Besides Winbond and word Go in the name of graphic card, it is the same spec
    > > as my desktop.

    > * * Thank you for the information. *I see the module is not loaded, so
    > how do I get it loaded?
    >
    > * *Also in looking at the web site you gave me, I see that they do have
    > drivers for Windows but not for SuSE Linux.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    If You want load any module, use console. Log on as root, and type
    "modprobe xxx" wheres xxx is the name of the module whitch You want to
    load.
    If You have a driver for Your wifi card for windows XP, You can use it
    with linux "ndiswrapper".

    Best regards,
    M.

  10. Re: Any luck with a Medion 96015 and SuSE 10.3?

    Fisiu wrote:
    > On 4 Sty, 20:19, scott wrote:
    >> Rajko M. wrote:
    >>> This one uses intel-hda driver and it should be recognized automatically by
    >>> YaST sound module, if not you can select it manually from the list. You can
    >>> see if module is loaded with
    >>> lsmod
    >>> than search for intel-hda. If you can see it than it is loaded, but sound
    >>> might be disabled. To enable it run mixer (program Kmix or Kamix).
    >>> http://www.amdcompare.com/ecosystem/...ct.aspx?id=601
    >>> though if you try winbond link it tells that one needs login.
    >>> I just sent them email complaining about that, and got response that they
    >>> have holidays.
    >>> Using Google I found some datasheet, but it is not very helpful.
    >>> The only useful information is that they have driver for Linux 2.4 (kernel
    >>> version 2.4) which is not much as almost any distro nowadays is using
    >>> kernel 2.6.
    >>> It is nvidia chipset for AMD 64 bit CPU's.
    >>> Besides Winbond and word Go in the name of graphic card, it is the same spec
    >>> as my desktop.

    >> Thank you for the information. I see the module is not loaded, so
    >> how do I get it loaded?
    >>
    >> Also in looking at the web site you gave me, I see that they do have
    >> drivers for Windows but not for SuSE Linux.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > If You want load any module, use console. Log on as root, and type
    > "modprobe xxx" wheres xxx is the name of the module whitch You want to
    > load.
    > If You have a driver for Your wifi card for windows XP, You can use it
    > with linux "ndiswrapper".
    >
    > Best regards,
    > M.

    To all, thank you for the information so far. I see that
    snd_hda_intel is loaded and was selected automatically for the sound
    card. But still no sound. Any ideas?

  11. Re: Any luck with a Medion 96015 and SuSE 10.3?

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 12:56:43 -0500, scott wrote:

    > To all, thank you for the information so far. I see that snd_hda_intel
    > is loaded and was selected automatically for the sound card. But still
    > no sound. Any ideas?

    The snd_hda_intel driver controls a vast range of different chipsets,
    each with its own quirks. To control the quirks you can pass it various
    options to specify what chipset you have, normally by adding a line
    something like

    module snd_hda_intel options=3stack6ch

    I use that option because it's one I can remember offhand, there are many
    more. The rest are all listed in the ALSA documentation. IIRR, there
    might even be a "medion" option for medion laptops.

    Also, you may want to try raising all the mixer settings. These chips
    are often built onto motherboards with transposed connectors. For
    example, I have a laptop on which the "front" volume control is actually
    the headphone control and the built in speakers are controlled by the
    "rear" volume control.

    HTH,
    Mark

+ Reply to Thread