HOWTO flush the Apache cache ? - Suse

This is a discussion on HOWTO flush the Apache cache ? - Suse ; Just changed my index.html page on my local server so my nieces & nephew could see a page I made for them. Unfortunately, the other lan computer they're using keeps showing the original page I had earlier. So how do ...

  1. HOWTO flush the Apache cache ?

    Just changed my index.html page on my local server so my nieces & nephew
    could see a page I made for them. Unfortunately, the other lan computer
    they're using keeps showing the original page I had earlier. So how do I
    flush the cache on this box..or is it the cache on the other computer (the
    one they're looking at) that needs flushing ??

    I restarted the network and rebooted this (server) box yet the page
    displaying on the other lan box remains the same as before...

    Thanks.

  2. Re: HOWTO flush the Apache cache ?

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >Just changed my index.html page on my local server so my nieces & nephew
    >could see a page I made for them. Unfortunately, the other lan computer
    >they're using keeps showing the original page I had earlier. So how do I
    >flush the cache on this box..or is it the cache on the other computer (the
    >one they're looking at) that needs flushing ??

    >I restarted the network and rebooted this (server) box yet the page
    >displaying on the other lan box remains the same as before...

    Unless you have some amazingly non-standard setup, the
    problem is not on your side. The page is being cached
    by the other computer. They need to dump *their* cache.

    Eventually, the cache will time out, but I don't recall how
    long that takes.

    The other thing that you can do, IIRC, which I probably don't,
    is to add a tag in one of the page headers indicating that the
    page should not be cached. This exists so that pages with
    data that changes all the time will be properly reloaded.

    I hope this helps.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  3. Re: HOWTO flush the Apache cache ?

    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > Just changed my index.html page on my local server so my nieces & nephew
    > could see a page I made for them. Unfortunately, the other lan computer
    > they're using keeps showing the original page I had earlier. So how do I
    > flush the cache on this box..or is it the cache on the other computer (the
    > one they're looking at) that needs flushing ??
    >
    > I restarted the network and rebooted this (server) box yet the page
    > displaying on the other lan box remains the same as before...
    >
    > Thanks.

    On THEIR browser, they should refresh the page by using Ctrl-Refresh (or
    reload) icon..

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  4. Re: HOWTO flush the Apache cache ?

    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >>Just changed my index.html page on my local server so my nieces & nephew
    >>could see a page I made for them. Unfortunately, the other lan computer
    >>they're using keeps showing the original page I had earlier. So how do I
    >>flush the cache on this box..or is it the cache on the other computer (the
    >>one they're looking at) that needs flushing ??

    >>I restarted the network and rebooted this (server) box yet the page
    >>displaying on the other lan box remains the same as before...

    > Unless you have some amazingly non-standard setup, the
    > problem is not on your side. The page is being cached
    > by the other computer. They need to dump *their* cache.
    >
    > Eventually, the cache will time out, but I don't recall how
    > long that takes.
    >
    > The other thing that you can do, IIRC, which I probably don't,
    > is to add a tag in one of the page headers indicating that the
    > page should not be cached. This exists so that pages with
    > data that changes all the time will be properly reloaded.
    >
    > I hope this helps.

    Yes, that's what I thought. So I went into settings (konqueror) and hit
    the 'clear cache' button. Closed Konqueror, reopened it and tried my
    server url again. Yet the same stale page appeared again. So I tried 2
    other browsers and got the same result...

    That's why I asked for suggestions. Anyway the nieces and nephew left and I
    turned of the remote computer. I'm sure tomorrow everything will work
    properly... Just one of those things.

    Thanks anyway.

  5. Re: HOWTO flush the Apache cache ?

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Yes, that's what I thought. So I went into settings (konqueror) and hit
    > the 'clear cache' button. Closed Konqueror, reopened it and tried my
    > server url again. Yet the same stale page appeared again. So I tried 2
    > other browsers and got the same result...

    OK, try Lynx or even better, `telnet example.com 80` and then `GET
    /index.html HTTP/1.0` and see what you get.
    More on
    http://www.groovyweb.uklinux.net/?pa...rough%20telnet

    > That's why I asked for suggestions. Anyway the nieces and nephew left and I
    > turned of the remote computer. I'm sure tomorrow everything will work
    > properly... Just one of those things.

    If that is the case, it is not good. That means that they use a forced
    proxyserver by their provider that doesn't listen to what the browser
    sends it. Also I would not so much use the 'clear cache' as the
    'refresh'.

    My guess is that the two places you look at are not the identical ones.
    I am an expert in this field. I place my files in the wrong directory,
    give it the wrong extention, upload it to the wrong server or not upload
    it at all, while looking at the files on localhost. And onviously a
    combination of all.

    From what is happening to you, that would be my first guess. I have
    phyicaly removed files with a hammer and a chisel from the HD, just to
    notice I was looking at the wrong domain.

    houghi
    --
    Theologians can pursuade themselves of anything. Anyone who can worship
    a trinity and insists that his religion is a monotheism can believe

  6. Re: HOWTO flush the Apache cache ?

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Just changed my index.html page on my local server so my nieces & nephew
    > could see a page I made for them. Unfortunately, the other lan computer
    > they're using keeps showing the original page I had earlier. So how do I
    > flush the cache on this box..or is it the cache on the other computer (the
    > one they're looking at) that needs flushing ??
    >
    > I restarted the network and rebooted this (server) box yet the page
    > displaying on the other lan box remains the same as before...

    Check again that you indeed updated the file. Also, open a browser on
    the server box and go to http://localhost and check what you see.

  7. Re: HOWTO flush the Apache cache ?

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >
    >> Just changed my index.html page on my local server so my nieces & nephew
    >> could see a page I made for them. Unfortunately, the other lan computer
    >> they're using keeps showing the original page I had earlier. So how do I
    >> flush the cache on this box..or is it the cache on the other computer
    >> (the
    >> one they're looking at) that needs flushing ??
    >>
    >> I restarted the network and rebooted this (server) box yet the page
    >> displaying on the other lan box remains the same as before...

    > Check again that you indeed updated the file. Also, open a browser on
    > the server box and go to http://localhost and check what you see.

    Dear Michael,

    Try putting following line in the header of your html file:

    CONTENT is the amount of seconds the content is considered valid (the
    time after which the browser has to refresh the page).

    Learned this from the mrtg configuration tool indexmaker.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  8. Re: HOWTO flush the Apache cache ?

    Here is an explanation for the Oracle Ebusiness Suite Users

    How to clear or flush apache cache

+ Reply to Thread