Backup software - which one? - Suse

This is a discussion on Backup software - which one? - Suse ; Need advice re backup software from my laptop to a USB drive. Must be simple to back up, and simple to restore if needed. I am fairly technically challenged :-) Suse 10.3, KDE. Recommendations? T.I.A....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Backup software - which one?

    Need advice re backup software from my laptop to a USB drive.

    Must be simple to back up, and simple to restore if needed.

    I am fairly technically challenged :-)

    Suse 10.3, KDE.

    Recommendations?

    T.I.A.

  2. Re: Backup software - which one?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.suse.]
    John Phillips wrote:
    > Need advice re backup software from my laptop to a USB drive.
    >
    > Must be simple to back up, and simple to restore if needed.
    >
    > I am fairly technically challenged :-)
    >
    > Suse 10.3, KDE.
    >
    > Recommendations?

    http://en.opensuse.org/StoreBackup

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  3. Re: Backup software - which one?

    houghi wrote:
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.suse.]
    > John Phillips wrote:
    >> Need advice re backup software from my laptop to a USB drive.
    >>
    >> Must be simple to back up, and simple to restore if needed.
    >>
    >> I am fairly technically challenged :-)
    >>
    >> Suse 10.3, KDE.
    >>
    >> Recommendations?

    > http://en.opensuse.org/StoreBackup
    >
    > houghi

    You gotta be kidding.

  4. Re: Backup software - which one?

    John Phillips writes:

    >Need advice re backup software from my laptop to a USB drive.

    >Must be simple to back up, and simple to restore if needed.

    rsync -av /dir/on/laptop /path/to/usb/drive
    rsync -av /path/to/usb/drive/ /dir/on/laptop

    >I am fairly technically challenged :-)

    >Suse 10.3, KDE.

    >Recommendations?

    >T.I.A.

  5. Re: Backup software - which one?

    John Phillips in <20071212082908.034a6e6d@linux-k6os.site> :

    > Need advice re backup software from my laptop to a USB drive.
    >
    > Must be simple to back up, and simple to restore if needed.

    Maybe you like mine?

    http://dharma.dyn-o-saur.com/backup-ng.sh.txt
    restore is with a simple `tar xzvf tarfile` command.

    If you like this i can adjust the file for your needs.

    P.

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyn-o-saur.com

  6. Re: Backup software - which one?

    On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 01:11:23 +0100 Peter Terpstra
    wrote:

    > Maybe you like mine?

    Thanks, really looking for a GUI sort of thing.

  7. Re: Backup software - which one?

    John Phillips wrote:
    > On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 01:11:23 +0100 Peter Terpstra
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe you like mine?

    > Thanks, really looking for a GUI sort of thing.

    That is about the worst thing you can do for a backup. What if the
    problem you need to backup from is your GUI?

    houghi
    --
    You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson.

  8. Re: Backup software - which one?

    Broderick Crawford ililililil wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.suse.]
    >> John Phillips wrote:
    >>> Need advice re backup software from my laptop to a USB drive.
    >>>
    >>> Must be simple to back up, and simple to restore if needed.
    >>>
    >>> I am fairly technically challenged :-)
    >>>
    >>> Suse 10.3, KDE.
    >>>
    >>> Recommendations?

    >> http://en.opensuse.org/StoreBackup
    >>

    > You gotta be kidding.

    No, why would I be kidding about that?

    houghi
    --
    You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson.

  9. Re: Backup software - which one?

    On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 08:21:09 +0100, houghi
    wrote:

    >John Phillips wrote:
    >> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 01:11:23 +0100 Peter Terpstra
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Maybe you like mine?

    >> Thanks, really looking for a GUI sort of thing.

    >That is about the worst thing you can do for a backup. What if the
    >problem you need to backup from is your GUI?

    Why would you want to back up a problem, idiot?

  10. Re: Backup software - which one?

    John Phillips in <20071212120415.47e1a9a4@linux-k6os.site> :

    >> Maybe you like mine?

    > Thanks, really looking for a GUI sort of thing.

    Than i guess you are looking for something like `konserve'.

    You can find that in your YaST program or with webpin or have a search with
    the keyword "backup".

    Kind Regards,

    Peter

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyn-o-saur.com

  11. Re: Backup software - which one?

    wrote:

    > That is about the worst thing you can do for a backup. What if the
    > problem you need to backup from is your GUI?

    Yes, possibly (can't comment as you will see if you read on).

    I am a dumbo when it comes to these sort of things, so I really need
    all the help I can get!

    I mean, Billy Bob Gates has spoiled me all these years!

  12. Re: Backup software - which one?

    On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:13:25 +0100 Peter Terpstra
    wrote:

    > Than i guess you are looking for something like `konserve'.

    Thanks, will give it a go.

  13. Re: Backup software - which one?

    houghi wrote:

    > ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.suse.]
    > John Phillips wrote:
    >> Need advice re backup software from my laptop to a USB drive.
    >>
    >> Must be simple to back up, and simple to restore if needed.
    >>
    >> I am fairly technically challenged :-)
    >>
    >> Suse 10.3, KDE.
    >>
    >> Recommendations?

    > http://en.opensuse.org/StoreBackup
    >
    > houghi

    I take it as a personal failing on my part, but I have not been able to
    configure StoreBackup to work. Perhaps the instructions were translated
    from another language, but after specifying my own source and target
    directories in storebackup.config, when attempting a trial run I received
    error messages saying that it couldn't locate any source and target
    directories!

    Since then, I have pored over the documentation several times, but cannot
    figure out what I have missed.

    Godzilla

  14. Re: Backup software - which one?

    houghi wrote:
    > Broderick Crawford ililililil wrote:
    >> houghi wrote:
    >>> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.suse.]

    >>> http://en.opensuse.org/StoreBackup
    >>>

    >> You gotta be kidding.

    > No, why would I be kidding about that?
    >
    > houghi

    All this crap should be done in the program. It's like you have to patch
    it to make it work on your system.

    #!/bin/bash
    #Test and make the backup directory.
    targetDir=/backup/storeBackup #Change to anything you desire
    test -d $targetDir || mkdir -p $targetDir
    # Mount backup read-write
    mount /backup -o remount,rw
    # run all in /etc/storebackup.d/ sequentially.
    configs=`find /etc/storebackup.d/ -type f `
    if [ -x /usr/bin/storeBackup -a "$configs" ]; then
    for file in $configs
    do nice storeBackup -f "$file"
    done
    fi
    # Put a link to the latest backup
    LATEST=$targetDir/lastest
    test -f $LATEST && rm $LATEST
    LAST=`find $targetDir -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d|tail -n 1`
    ln -s $LAST $LATEST
    # Mount backup read only
    mount /backup -o remount

  15. Re: Backup software - which one?

    John Phillips wrote:
    > I am a dumbo when it comes to these sort of things, so I really need
    > all the help I can get!
    >
    > I mean, Billy Bob Gates has spoiled me all these years!

    Go for the StoreBackup. CLI is not that difficult. If you know how to
    use Notepad, I will be able to guide you through it.

    houghi
    --
    You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson.

  16. Re: Backup software - which one?

    Broderick Crawford ililililil wrote:
    > All this crap should be done in the program. It's like you have to patch
    > it to make it work on your system.

    No, it shouldn't. Obviously you are free to write a script around it
    that will then be larger then the program it will run.

    Also what you copy is NOT the program, it is an extention to the program
    that you do not need.

    houghi
    --
    You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson.

  17. Re: Backup software - which one?

    Godzilla wrote:
    > I take it as a personal failing on my part, but I have not been able to
    > configure StoreBackup to work. Perhaps the instructions were translated
    > from another language, but after specifying my own source and target
    > directories in storebackup.config, when attempting a trial run I received
    > error messages saying that it couldn't locate any source and target
    > directories!
    >
    > Since then, I have pored over the documentation several times, but cannot
    > figure out what I have missed.

    My crystal balls are broken, so perhaps it would come in handy if you
    posted the chages you did, together with the error messages.

    houghi
    --
    You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson.

  18. Re: Backup software - which one?

    houghi wrote:
    >> Since then, I have pored over the documentation several times, but cannot
    >> figure out what I have missed.

    > My crystal balls are broken, so perhaps it would come in handy if you
    > posted the chages you did, together with the error messages.

    http://houghi.org/script/00_More_Scr...orebackup.root is my config
    file

    houghi
    --
    You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson.

  19. Re: Backup software - which one?

    houghi wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >>> Since then, I have pored over the documentation several times, but
    >>> cannot figure out what I have missed.

    >> My crystal balls are broken, so perhaps it would come in handy if you
    >> posted the chages you did, together with the error messages.

    > http://houghi.org/script/00_More_Scr...orebackup.root is my config
    > file
    >
    > houghi

    Using your script as a template, I copied all of your settings (using my own
    directories, of course) and it still failed. Here is the complete printout
    of what happend:

    -rwxr--r-- 1 root root 642 Nov 24 10:41 backup.sh*
    linux-de3b:/usr/local/sbin # ./backup.sh
    mount: can't find /backup in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
    BEGIN 2007.12.12 11:02:30 5951 backing up directory to
    al/backup>
    INFO 2007.12.12 11:02:30 5951 setting ARG_MAX to 126976 (Linux)
    ERROR 2007.12.12 11:02:30 5951 no directory resulting from pattern
    kups>
    ERROR 2007.12.12 11:02:30 5951 no directory resulting from pattern
    p>
    ERROR 2007.12.12 11:02:30 5951 exiting
    no source directory specified!

    This program copies trees to another location. Every file copied is
    potentially compressed (see --exceptSuffix). The compressions after
    the first compression will compaire the files with an md5 checksum
    with the last stored version. If they are equal, it will only make an
    hard link to it. It will also check mtime, ctime and size to recognize
    idential files in older backups very fast.
    The program can handel normal files, directories and symbolic links.

    usage:
    storeBackup.pl -f configFile [-g | --print]
    or
    storeBackup.pl -s sourceDir -t targetDir [-T tmpdir] [-L lockFile]
    [--unlockBeforeDel] [--exceptDirs dir1,dir2,dir3]
    [--includeDirs dir1,dir2,dir3]
    [--exceptDirsSep sep]
    [--exceptPattern rule] [--includePattern rule]
    [--exceptTypes types]
    [--precommand job] [--postcommand job] [--followLinks depth]
    [-c compress] [-u uncompress] [-p postfix]
    [--noCompress number] [--queueCompress number]
    [--noCopy number] [--queueCopy number] [--copyBWLimit kbps]
    [--withUserGroupStat] [--userGroupStatFile filename]
    [--exceptSuffix suffixes]
    [--addExceptSuffix suffixes] [--contExceptDirsErr]
    [--compressMD5File yes|no] [--chmodMD5File] [-v]
    [-d level][--progressReport number] [--printDepth]
    [--ignoreReadError] [--doNotDelete] [--resetAtime]
    [--keepAll timePeriod] [--keepWeekday entry]
    [--keepFirstOfYear] [--keepLastOfYear]
    [--keepFirstOfMonth] [--keepLastOfMonth]
    [--firstDayOfWeek day] [--keepFirstOfWeek]
    [--keepLastOfWeek]
    [--keepDuplicate] [--keepMinNumber] [--keepMaxNumber]
    [-l logFile
    [--plusLogStdout] [--withTime yes|no] [-m maxFilelen]
    [[[-n noOfOldFiles] | [--saveLogs yes|no]]
    [--compressWith compressprog]]
    [--logInBackupDir yes|no [--compressLogInBackupDir yes|no]
    [--logInBackupDirFileName logFile]]
    [otherBackupDirs ...]

    --file -f configuration file (instead of parameters)
    --generate -g generate template of configuration file
    --print print configuration read from configuration file an stop

    --sourceDir -s source directory (must exist)
    --targetDir -t target directory (must exist)
    --tmpdir -T directory for temporary file, default is
    --lockFile -L lock file, if exists, new instances will finish if
    an old is allready running
    --unlockBeforeDel remove the lock file before deleting old backups
    default is to delete the lock file after deleting
    --exceptDirs -e directories to except from backing up (relative
    path), wildcards are possible and should be
    quoted to avoid replacements by the shell,
    the directories have to be separated with
    --exceptDirsSep
    --includeDirs -i directories to include in the backup (relative
    path), wildcards are possible and have to be
    quoted, the directories have to be separated by
    --exceptDirsSep
    --exceptDirsSep Separator for --exceptDirs and --includeDirs,
    default is <,>
    --exceptPattern Files to exclude from backing up. You can define a rule
    with pattern. See the config or (better) the README file
    for
    a detailed description.
    --includePattern Files to include in the backug up - like exceptPattern
    --contExceptDirsErr continue if one or more of the exceptional directories
    do not exist (default is to stop processing)
    --exceptTypes do not save the specified types of files, allowed:
    Sbcfpl
    S - file is a socket
    b - file is a block special file
    c - file is a character special file
    f - file is a plain file
    p - file is a named pipe
    l - file is a symbolic link
    Sbc is not yet implemented, but you can suppress a
    warning if you specify them with this option
    --precommand exec job before starting the backup, checks lockFile
    (-L)
    before starting (e.g. can be used for rsync)
    stops execution if job returs exit status != 0
    --postcommand exec job after finishing the backup,
    but before erasing of old backups
    reports if job returs exit status != 0
    --followLinks follow symbolic links like directories up to depth
    default = 0 -> do not follow links
    --compress -c compress command (with options), default is
    --uncompress -u uncompress command (with options), default is
    --postfix -p postfix to add after compression, default is <.bz2>
    --noCompress maximal number of parallel compress operations,
    default = 4
    --queueCompress length of queue to store files before compression,
    default = 1000
    --noCopy maximal number of parallel copy operations,
    default = 1
    --queueCopy length of queue to store files before copying,
    default = 1000
    --copyBWLimit maximum bandwidth, KBytes per second per copying process
    /usr/bin/storeBackup uses rsync for this option
    default = 0 -> no limit, use cp for copying
    --withUserGroupStat write statistics about used space in log file
    --userGroupStatFile write statistics about used space in name file
    will be overridden each time
    --exceptSuffix do not compress or copy files with the following
    suffix (uppercase included):
    .bz2, .gif, .gpg, .gz, .jpg, .mp3, .mpeg, .mpg, .ogg,
    .png, .tgz, .tif, .tiff, .zip
    --addExceptSuffix like --exceptSuffix, but do not replace defaults, add
    --compressMD5File default is 'yes', if you do not want this, say 'no'
    --chmodMD5File permissions of .md5CheckSumFile and corresponding
    .storeBackupLinks directory, default is 0600
    --verbose -v verbose messages about --exceptPattern
    and --includePattern
    --debug -d generate debug messages, levels are 0 (none, default),
    1 (some), 2 (many) messages
    --resetAtime reset access time in the source directory - but this
    will
    change ctime (time of last modification of file status
    information)
    --doNotDelete test only, do not delete any backup
    --keepAll keep backups which are not older than the specified
    amount
    of time. This is like a default value for all days in
    --keepWeekday. Begins deleting at the end of the script
    the time range has to be specified in format 'dhms',
    e.g.
    10d4h means 10 days and 4 hours
    default = 30d;
    --keepWeekday keep backups for the specified days for the specified
    amount of time. Overwrites the default values choosen in
    --keepAll. 'Mon,Wed:40d Sat:60d10m' means:
    keep backups of Mon and Wed 40days + 5mins
    keep backups of Sat 60days + 10mins
    keep backups of the rest of the days like spcified
    in
    --keepAll (default 30d)
    if you also use the 'archive flag' it means to not
    delete the affected directories via --keepMaxNumber:
    a10d4h means 10 days and 4 hours and 'archive flag'
    e.g. 'Mon,Wed:a40d Sat:60d10m' means:
    keep backups of Mon and Wed 40days + 5mins
    + 'archive'
    keep backups of Sat 60days + 10mins
    keep backups of the rest of the days like specified
    in
    --keepAll (default 30d)
    --keepFirstOfYear do not delete the first backup of a year
    format is timePeriod with possible 'archive flag'
    --keepLastOfYear do not delete the last backup of a year
    format is timePeriod with possible 'archive flag'
    --keepFirstOfMonth do not delete the first backup of a month
    format is timePeriod with possible 'archive flag'
    --keepLastOfMonth do not delete the last backup of a month
    format is timePeriod with possible 'archive flag'
    --firstDayOfWeek default: 'Sun'. This value is used for calculating
    --keepFirstOfWeek and --keepLastOfWeek
    --keepFirstOfWeek do not delete the first backup of a week
    format is timePeriod with possible 'archive flag'
    --keepLastOfWeek do not delete the last backup of a week
    format is timePeriod with possible 'archive flag'
    --keepDuplicate keep multiple backups of one day up to timePeriod
    format is timePeriod, 'archive flag' is not possible
    default = 7d;
    --keepMinNumber Keep that miminum of backups. Multiple backups of one
    day are counted as one backup.
    --keepMaxNumber Try to keep only that maximum of backups. If you have
    more
    backups, the following sequence of deleting will happen:
    - delete all duplicates of a day, beginning with the old
    once, except the oldest of every day
    - if this is not enough, delete the rest of the backups
    beginning with the oldest, but *never* a backup with
    the 'archive flag' or the last backup
    --progressReport print progress report after each 'number' files
    --printDepth print depth of actual readed directory during backup
    --ignoreReadError ignore read errors in source directory; not readable
    directories does not cause storeBackup.pl
    to stop processing
    --logFile -l log file (default is STDOUT)
    --plusLogStdout if you specify a log file with --logFile you can
    additionally print the output to STDOUT with this flag
    --withTime -w output in logfile with time: 'yes' or 'no'
    default = 'yes'
    --maxFilelen -m maximal length of file, default = 1e6
    --noOfOldFiles -n number of old log files, default = 5
    --saveLogs save log files with date and time instead of deleting
    the
    old (with [-noOldFiles]): 'yes' or 'no', default = 'no'
    --compressWith compress saved log files (e.g. with 'gzip -9')
    default is 'bzip2'
    --logInBackupDir write log file (also) in the backup directory:
    'yes' or 'no', default is 'no'
    Be aware that this log does not contain all error
    messages of the one specified with --logFile!
    --compressLogInBackupDir
    compress the log file in the backup directory:
    'yes' or 'no', default is 'yes'
    --logInBackupDirFileName
    filename to use for writing the above log file,
    default is '.storeBackup.log'

    otherBackupDirs List of other backup directories to consider for
    hard linking. Format (examples):
    /backupDir/2002.08.29_08.25.28 -> consider this
    backupDir
    or
    0:/backupDir -> last (youngest) backup in /backupDir
    1:/backupDir -> first before last backup
    in /backupDir
    n:/backupDir -> n'th before last backup
    in /backupDir
    3-5:/backupDir -> 3rd, 4th and 5th in /backupDir
    all:/backupDir -> all in /backupDir

    Copyright (c) 2001-2005 by Heinz-Josef Claes
    Published under the GNU General Public License
    ln: creating symbolic link `./lastest': File exists
    mount: can't find /backup in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
    linux-de3b:/usr/local/sbin #

    Godzilla (feeling more like a dumb lizard who also does not have balls made
    of crystal) ;-)

  20. Re: Backup software - which one?

    On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:22:19 +0100 houghi
    wrote:

    > Go for the StoreBackup. CLI is not that difficult. If you know how to
    > use Notepad, I will be able to guide you through it.

    Thanks for the offer, but I think I will try Konserve to start with.

    Sorry, didn't want to start a flame war!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast