Backup software - which one? - Suse

This is a discussion on Backup software - which one? - Suse ; Godzilla wrote: > houghi wrote: > >> houghi wrote: >>>> Since then, I have pored over the documentation several times, but >>>> cannot figure out what I have missed. >>> >>> My crystal balls are broken, so perhaps it would ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Backup software - which one?

    Godzilla wrote:
    > houghi wrote:

    >>> My crystal balls are broken, so perhaps it would come in handy if you
    >>> posted the chages you did, together with the error messages.

    >> http://houghi.org/script/00_More_Scr...orebackup.root is my config
    >> file
    >>
    >> houghi

    > Using your script as a template, I copied all of your settings (using my own
    > directories, of course) and it still failed. Here is the complete printout
    > of what happend:
    >

    > -rwxr--r-- 1 root root 642 Nov 24 10:41 backup.sh*
    > linux-de3b:/usr/local/sbin # ./backup.sh
    > mount: can't find /backup in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

    So here it starts. Always stop at the first error. The rest will most
    likely be irrelevant.

    Also what you do is start with the backup.sh script. What you should do
    is see that storeBackup works correctly.

    What I do is start easy and for the first time just backup one
    directory, like /home/user/tmp

    So edit /etc/storebackup.d/storebackup.config or whatever file you use
    to backup just that directory.

    > BEGIN 2007.12.12 11:02:30 5951 backing up directory to
    > > al/backup>

    I see you have something else then what you weer describing above.

    So here is the steps you need to do. Most will be needed to be done as
    root, so be carefull!

    1) see that you have a small directory, or even make a small directory
    /home/brooks/tmp and put one or a few files in it.
    2) Edit /etc/storebackup.d/storebackup.config and only edit the
    following lines:
    # source directory (*** must be specified ***)
    sourceDir=/home/brooks/tmp
    # target directory (*** must be specified ***)
    targetDir=/local/backup
    3) See that you can write to /local/backup with `touch
    /local/backup/test`. If that does not work, solve that first.
    4) run `storeBackup -f /etc/storebackup.d/storebackup.config`
    5) do `l /local/backup`
    6) Go to 4

    That way you will be able to see what happens.

    Now several things can happen and that will decide what you need to do
    next. If it gives errors, you first need to solve that. There is no need
    to go on.

    Next what you do is edit /etc/storebackup.d/storebackup.config so that
    it does what you want it to do. What I did was first do all the settings
    one by one and each time ran the storeBackup command.

    Next I add one directory, next do the exeptions and then add all the
    other directories.

    If all that works, you can configure backup.sh and the read-only
    mounting of your backup partition.

    houghi
    --
    You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson.

  2. Re: Backup software - which one?

    John Phillips wrote:
    > On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:22:19 +0100 houghi
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Go for the StoreBackup. CLI is not that difficult. If you know how to
    >> use Notepad, I will be able to guide you through it.

    > Thanks for the offer, but I think I will try Konserve to start with.

    Great, if that does what you expect it to do, all the better.

    Some flags _I_ do for a backup
    1) No GUI. It must work without GUI. From what I see Konserve would fail
    due to the following: "It lives in the system tray" First I do not have
    a system tray and secondly that would worry me, because would that mean
    it runs if another user is logged in?

    2) Easy restore. The first thing you should do is make a copy of
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.test, then take the backup.
    Removove /etc/X11/xorg.conf.test and start a terminal and use that
    terminal to restore the file.

    I use `mc` to browse my system, but you should be able to do it without
    mc as well. Seriously, otherwise you might end up with a backup that you
    can't use.

    3) Easy restore. Yes, it must be easy to restore

    4) Automated incremential backups. That way each version might be
    different then the first, so I can go back at least one month. This also
    means that I do not want to look at it once it is up and running

    5) Not too difficult to configure. If all the above applies, I am
    willing to put some time in it, as I only would need to do it once.

    6) Not something I made myself from scratch, because then I am sure to
    forget things that will cause loss of data.

    That is about the order of importance, with 1 and 2 extremely close
    together

    > Sorry, didn't want to start a flame war!

    What flame war?

    houghi
    --
    You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson.

  3. Re: Backup software - which one?

    On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 21:43:46 +0100 houghi
    wrote:

    > That is about the order of importance, with 1 and 2 extremely close
    > together

    Thanks for the tips, I have highlighted your mail to try what you
    suggest.

    > > Sorry, didn't want to start a flame war!

    > What flame war?

    Just seemed to be some nasty comments along the way?

  4. Re: Backup software - which one?

    houghi wrote:

    > Next what you do is edit /etc/storebackup.d/storebackup.config so that
    > it does what you want it to do. What I did was first do all the settings
    > one by one and each time ran the storeBackup command.
    >
    > Next I add one directory, next do the exeptions and then add all the
    > other directories.
    >
    > If all that works, you can configure backup.sh and the read-only
    > mounting of your backup partition.
    >

    > houghi

    When I get back to your country someday, I have to buy you a few beers,
    Houghi. You not only solved this particular problem in getting storeBackup
    to function, you taught me something about a methodical approach to use in
    troubleshooting all programs. :-)

    Now that it is working, I only need to keep editing storebackup.config
    (using vi as root) until I get everything in that I want, plus eliminating
    everything that I don't need. Then, I shall put it in CRON and sit back.

    Maybe we could have a few Jungjenevers also, if I remember that correctly
    from twenty years ago. ;-)

    Thanks again for all of the effort that you put in for me.

    Godzilla

  5. Re: Backup software - which one?

    Godzilla wrote:
    > When I get back to your country someday, I have to buy you a few beers,
    > Houghi. You not only solved this particular problem in getting storeBackup
    > to function, you taught me something about a methodical approach to use in
    > troubleshooting all programs. :-)

    Only by repeating the same mistakes over and over and over again myself
    have I learned to to take the methodical approach.
    The first time I actualy started using this was when I learn about the
    different layers on the Intertubes. When somebody told me his Email was
    not working, I started looking at much lower layers first, while others
    started to re-configure the Email client.

    In the end, going to the lowest layer first till you see the problem is
    the fastest way in the end. Then I started to wonder why and the reason
    is that to solve a proble, you first need to know where the problem is.

    If you want to analyze something, it is easiest to take as much out as
    possible, as to be sure to get to each problem at a time.

    > Now that it is working, I only need to keep editing storebackup.config
    > (using vi as root) until I get everything in that I want, plus eliminating
    > everything that I don't need. Then, I shall put it in CRON and sit back.

    You'd be surprised that it already IS in cron, although perhaps not
    correctly.

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.

  6. Post Re: Backup software

    Just forget all the software and try Magic Backup.It is a service that uses our high-speed Internet connection and our Windows® PC to make backup copies of all our important files to a remote location that we provide. They install a small program on our computer that locates and makes secure copies of our pictures, movies, music, documents and other important data silently and automatically. Magic Backup keeps track of new files and changes to existing files so it always knows what needs to be backed up. It performs what they call "Automatic Continuous Backup" in the background without interfering with the normal use of our computer.Magic Backup is the only backup service which allow us to access all of our backed up files from any computer anywhere with an Internet connection and a Web browser. No need to install any software!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2