X crashing in openSUSE 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on X crashing in openSUSE 10.3 - Suse ; I'm experiencing total X crashes and starts to login. /var/log/Xog.0.log.old says this: Fatal server error: WaitForSomething(): select: errno=22 I am using: openSUSE 10.3 X.Org X Server 1.4.0 Release Date: 5 September 2007 X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0 Build Operating ...

  1. X crashing in openSUSE 10.3

    I'm experiencing total X crashes and starts to login. /var/log/Xog.0.log.old
    says this:

    Fatal server error:
    WaitForSomething(): select: errno=22

    I am using:
    openSUSE 10.3

    X.Org X Server 1.4.0
    Release Date: 5 September 2007
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    Build Operating System: openSUSE SUSE LINUX
    Current Operating System: Linux Desktop 2.6.22.13-0.3-default #1 SMP
    2007/11/19 15:02:58 UTC i686
    Build Date: 19 October 2007 02:15:54AM

    ATI Driver: 8.40.4

    It seems almost random as to what I am doing at the time. One time I was
    using Kontact and reading email. Another time I was using firefox. Another
    time the openSUSE updater was applying an update.

    Anyone else experiencing this as well?

    --
    Chris

  2. Re: X crashing in openSUSE 10.3

    Chris wrote:

    > I'm experiencing total X crashes and starts to login.
    > /var/log/Xog.0.log.old says this:
    >
    > Fatal server error:
    > WaitForSomething(): select: errno=22
    >
    > I am using:
    > openSUSE 10.3
    >
    > X.Org X Server 1.4.0
    > Release Date: 5 September 2007
    > X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    > Build Operating System: openSUSE SUSE LINUX
    > Current Operating System: Linux Desktop 2.6.22.13-0.3-default #1 SMP
    > 2007/11/19 15:02:58 UTC i686
    > Build Date: 19 October 2007 02:15:54AM
    >
    > ATI Driver: 8.40.4
    >
    > It seems almost random as to what I am doing at the time. One time I was
    > using Kontact and reading email. Another time I was using firefox. Another
    > time the openSUSE updater was applying an update.
    >
    > Anyone else experiencing this as well?

    I would suspect the video card drivers. On my system I would have the
    system logoff automatically when trying to play games or use Wine and a few
    other applications. My video card was the onboard Via Technologies KM400
    chipset. In an attempt fix things I used the OpenChrome drivers which made
    things worse.

    I put in a new nVidia FX5500 card and installed the drivers for it, and all
    my problems went away. So perhaps looking for better or updated video
    drivers might work in your case.

    If you do not need 3D, you might fix things by not loading DRI (comment it
    out) in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com