10.3 Dead in the Water - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.3 Dead in the Water - Suse ; Can't boot into Windows, 10.2 (hda7) or 10.3 (hda4). The problem started when I used 10.3 Yast to rename and rearrange grub boot entries. Next attempt to boot into 10.3 got a "filename must be either an absolute pathname or ...

  1. 10.3 Dead in the Water

    Can't boot into Windows, 10.2 (hda7) or 10.3 (hda4). The problem started
    when I used 10.3 Yast to rename and rearrange grub boot entries. Next
    attempt to boot into 10.3 got a "filename must be either an absolute
    pathname or blocklist" failure. Trying to boot the 10.3 DVD into the
    "Repair System" mode failed with "an error occured during installation".
    Booting with the 10.2 DVD install mode was successful and I chose repair
    system. All the checks were OK but when it got to the boot repair that
    failed with

    setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0) (hd0,6)
    Error 21: Selected disk does not exist.

    Trying to boot from the hard drive returned to the bad 10.3 grub menu. I
    had reset the BIOS to defaults.

    Suggestions please, I might be able to recover XP but all my work is in
    the Linux partitions.

    Thanks
    Paul

  2. Re: 10.3 Dead in the Water

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 15:05:13 -0600, Paul Thompson wrote:

    > Can't boot into Windows, 10.2 (hda7) or 10.3 (hda4). The problem started
    > when I used 10.3 Yast to rename and rearrange grub boot entries. Next
    > attempt to boot into 10.3 got a "filename must be either an absolute
    > pathname or blocklist" failure. Trying to boot the 10.3 DVD into the
    > "Repair System" mode failed with "an error occured during installation".
    > Booting with the 10.2 DVD install mode was successful and I chose repair
    > system. All the checks were OK but when it got to the boot repair that
    > failed with
    >
    > setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0) (hd0,6)
    > Error 21: Selected disk does not exist.
    >
    > Trying to boot from the hard drive returned to the bad 10.3 grub menu. I
    > had reset the BIOS to defaults.
    >
    > Suggestions please, I might be able to recover XP but all my work is in
    > the Linux partitions.

    I had a very similar problem, but I can't remember how I finally solved it
    - but be re-assured, it is probably solvable.

    Someone else will soon be along no doubt, with more expert advice than I
    can offer, but for now, have you tried "boot installed system" from
    either the 10.2 or 10.3 disks ?

    ISTR I did that, then went into Yast/Grub and started over again with
    "suggest new configuration".

    HTH

    Paul (W)

  3. Re: 10.3 Dead in the Water

    Paul Thompson wrote:
    > Can't boot into Windows, 10.2 (hda7) or 10.3 (hda4). The problem started
    > when I used 10.3 Yast to rename and rearrange grub boot entries. Next
    > attempt to boot into 10.3 got a "filename must be either an absolute
    > pathname or blocklist" failure. Trying to boot the 10.3 DVD into the
    > "Repair System" mode failed with "an error occured during installation".
    > Booting with the 10.2 DVD install mode was successful and I chose repair
    > system. All the checks were OK but when it got to the boot repair that
    > failed with
    >
    > setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0) (hd0,6)
    > Error 21: Selected disk does not exist.
    >
    > Trying to boot from the hard drive returned to the bad 10.3 grub menu. I
    > had reset the BIOS to defaults.
    >
    > Suggestions please, I might be able to recover XP but all my work is in
    > the Linux partitions.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Paul

    By changing "rootnoverify (hd)" to "rootnoverify (hd0)" I got it to boot
    into Windows. Now I need to find a way to recover the Linux partitions.

    I tried various combinations of booting with the 10.2 and 10.3 DVDs with
    no success.

    Paul

  4. Re: 10.3 Dead in the Water

    Paul Thompson schreef:
    > Can't boot into Windows, 10.2 (hda7) or 10.3 (hda4). The problem started
    > when I used 10.3 Yast to rename and rearrange grub boot entries. Next
    > attempt to boot into 10.3 got a "filename must be either an absolute
    > pathname or blocklist" failure. Trying to boot the 10.3 DVD into the
    > "Repair System" mode failed with "an error occured during installation".
    > Booting with the 10.2 DVD install mode was successful and I chose repair
    > system. All the checks were OK but when it got to the boot repair that
    > failed with
    >
    > setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0) (hd0,6)
    > Error 21: Selected disk does not exist.

    (hd0) means first drive, so (hd0,6) means 7th partition on first drive.
    You just said that 10.3 in installed on (hda4) or as grub see it
    (hd0,3). So I guess that you should expecting grub gives you error
    because /boot/grub/stage2 doesn't exist in windows partition.

    > Trying to boot from the hard drive returned to the bad 10.3 grub menu. I
    > had reset the BIOS to defaults.
    >
    > Suggestions please, I might be able to recover XP but all my work is in
    > the Linux partitions.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Paul

    Boot from live cd like knoppix, or opensuse live cd whatever, then go to
    your linux partition and go to /boot/grub/menu.lst. Make sure if its
    ok, especially the line after the title, it should be like this "root
    (hd0,3)". Here is my menu.lst so you can compare it with yours.

    # Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Mon Dec 3 13:59:45 CET 2007
    default 0
    timeout 8
    gfxmenu (hd0,1)/boot/message
    ##YaST - activate

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
    title openSUSE 10.3 - 2.6.22.13-0.3
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.13-0.3-bigsmp
    root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HTS7220070801DP0D00DVG1YRDA-part2
    vga=0x31a noapic nolapic acpi=off resume=/dev/sda1 splash=silent showopts
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.13-0.3-bigsmp

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
    title Failsafe -- openSUSE 10.3 - 2.6.22.13-0.3
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.13-0.3-bigsmp
    root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HTS7220070801DP0D00DVG1YRDA-part2
    vga=normal showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic
    maxcpus=0 edd=off 3
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.13-0.3-bigsmp

    I hope that will help.

  5. Re: 10.3 Dead in the Water

    Paul Thompson schrieb:

    > Trying to boot the 10.3 DVD into the "Repair System" mode failed
    > with "an error occured during installation". Booting with the 10.2
    > DVD install mode was successful

    Absolutely the same here.

    T.M.

  6. Re: 10.3 Dead in the Water

    I was trying to get to 10.2. One possibility may be that 10.3 installed
    a version of GRUB that is incompatible with 10.2. The 10.3 repair system
    didn't work, and 10.2 made a menu.lst incompatible with the 10.3 GRUB?

    Canned wrote:
    > Paul Thompson schreef:
    >> Can't boot into Windows, 10.2 (hda7) or 10.3 (hda4). The problem started
    >> when I used 10.3 Yast to rename and rearrange grub boot entries. Next
    >> attempt to boot into 10.3 got a "filename must be either an absolute
    >> pathname or blocklist" failure. Trying to boot the 10.3 DVD into the
    >> "Repair System" mode failed with "an error occured during installation".
    >> Booting with the 10.2 DVD install mode was successful and I chose repair
    >> system. All the checks were OK but when it got to the boot repair that
    >> failed with
    >>
    >> setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0) (hd0,6)
    >> Error 21: Selected disk does not exist.
    >>

    > (hd0) means first drive, so (hd0,6) means 7th partition on first drive.
    > You just said that 10.3 in installed on (hda4) or as grub see it
    > (hd0,3). So I guess that you should expecting grub gives you error
    > because /boot/grub/stage2 doesn't exist in windows partition.
    >
    >> Trying to boot from the hard drive returned to the bad 10.3 grub menu. I
    >> had reset the BIOS to defaults.
    >>
    >> Suggestions please, I might be able to recover XP but all my work is in
    >> the Linux partitions.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Paul

    > Boot from live cd like knoppix, or opensuse live cd whatever, then go to
    > your linux partition and go to /boot/grub/menu.lst. Make sure if its
    > ok, especially the line after the title, it should be like this "root
    > (hd0,3)". Here is my menu.lst so you can compare it with yours.
    >
    > # Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Mon Dec 3 13:59:45 CET 2007
    > default 0
    > timeout 8
    > gfxmenu (hd0,1)/boot/message
    > ##YaST - activate
    >
    > ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
    > title openSUSE 10.3 - 2.6.22.13-0.3
    > root (hd0,1)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.13-0.3-bigsmp
    > root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HTS7220070801DP0D00DVG1YRDA-part2
    > vga=0x31a noapic nolapic acpi=off resume=/dev/sda1 splash=silent showopts
    > initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.13-0.3-bigsmp
    >
    > ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
    > title Failsafe -- openSUSE 10.3 - 2.6.22.13-0.3
    > root (hd0,1)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.13-0.3-bigsmp
    > root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Hitachi_HTS7220070801DP0D00DVG1YRDA-part2
    > vga=normal showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic
    > maxcpus=0 edd=off 3
    > initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.13-0.3-bigsmp
    >

    > I hope that will help.

  7. Re: 10.3 Dead in the Water

    Paul Thompson in <13lf918748ledf5@corp.supernews.com> :

    > I was trying to get to 10.2. One possibility may be that 10.3 installed
    > a version of GRUB that is incompatible with 10.2. The 10.3 repair system
    > didn't work, and 10.2 made a menu.lst incompatible with the 10.3 GRUB?

    No.
    Try too understand the menu.lst syntax.
    Look what the numbers of your disks and partitions are and adjust your
    menu.lst. The expample from Cannad was fine.

    P.

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyn-o-saur.com

  8. Re: 10.3 Dead in the Water

    Paul Thompson schreef:
    > I was trying to get to 10.2. One possibility may be that 10.3 installed
    > a version of GRUB that is incompatible with 10.2. The 10.3 repair system
    > didn't work, and 10.2 made a menu.lst incompatible with the 10.3 GRUB?

    It's not incompatible, it should work with both version. Have you try
    booting from live cd like I told you and edit menu.lst yourself? I
    recommend you to try that first then complain.

  9. Re: 10.3 Dead in the Water

    Yast can definitely write bad grub config files -- it's a known
    bug, and happened to me while installing 10.3.

    The important thing is to preserve your work -- your precious
    data. Trying to fix the grub installation could conceivably
    mess up the partition table on the drive, or the filesystem in
    one of the partitions. For maximum safety you should not
    write anything to that drive -- don't change anything on it
    at all -- until you have copied your data from it to some
    other storage location.

    The safest approach would be to buy another hard drive big
    enough to hold your important data. Disks are cheap these
    days, and you'll want to make a backup copy of your data
    anyhow. Disconnect the data and power cables of the old
    disk (of course with the power off and you grounding
    yourself to the chassis to avoid static electricity) and
    connect the new disk to the lowest-numbered disk
    controller port. Install Linux on the new disk, and make
    sure it boots correctly.

    Then, leaving the new drive connected, reconnect the old
    drive to a higher-numbered controller port, reboot the
    Linux on the new drive, and mount read-only the relevant
    partitions of the old drive. Copy your important files from
    the old drive to the new. Make sure the copies of the files
    are readable and correct.

    At this point your data will be safely backed up and you'll
    have a working Linux system on the new disk. You can
    either just run that system and keep the old disk as the
    backup (Windows sucks anyhow -- who needs it?) or you
    can become a grub expert (I can show you where to find
    a lot of info about grub on the Web) and figure out how to
    fix the grub installation on the old disk so it will boot.

  10. Re: 10.3 Dead in the Water

    Paul Thompson wrote:
    > Can't boot into Windows, 10.2 (hda7) or 10.3 (hda4). The problem started
    > when I used 10.3 Yast to rename and rearrange grub boot entries. Next
    > attempt to boot into 10.3 got a "filename must be either an absolute
    > pathname or blocklist" failure. Trying to boot the 10.3 DVD into the
    > "Repair System" mode failed with "an error occured during installation".
    > Booting with the 10.2 DVD install mode was successful and I chose repair
    > system. All the checks were OK but when it got to the boot repair that
    > failed with
    >
    > setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0) (hd0,6)
    > Error 21: Selected disk does not exist.
    >
    > Trying to boot from the hard drive returned to the bad 10.3 grub menu. I
    > had reset the BIOS to defaults.
    >
    > Suggestions please, I might be able to recover XP but all my work is in
    > the Linux partitions.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Paul

    Back to working, booted into 10.2 using the 10.2 DVD, attempts to repair
    the boot process for 10.2 failed. Then I used the 10.2 DVD to boot into
    10.3 and there the repair process worked (good enough). I then manually
    cleaned up menu.lst and all's well. There's no resume entry and the boot
    shows details in a large font, but it still works OK.

    Avoiding YaST for boot setup is probably a good idea with 10.3.

    Thanks all for the help.
    Paul

  11. Re: 10.3 Dead in the Water

    Paul Thompson wrote:

    > ... and the boot shows details in a large font, but it still works OK.

    Do you have a vga=... on the appropriate line in menu.lst?

    This controls the size of the boot up display (at least).

    I have vga=0x31a for example which corresponds to 1280x1024 (64k colors).
    Use whatever value works for your system.

    | 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024
    ----+-------------------------------------
    256 | 0x301 0x303 0x305 0x307
    32k | 0x310 0x313 0x316 0x319
    64k | 0x311 0x314 0x317 0x31A
    16M | 0x312 0x315 0x318 0x31B

    Check out the files /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt for a better
    description.

    --
    Don

  12. Re: 10.3 Dead in the Water

    Paul Thompson wrote:

    > Paul Thompson wrote:
    >> Can't boot into Windows, 10.2 (hda7) or 10.3 (hda4). The problem started
    >> when I used 10.3 Yast to rename and rearrange grub boot entries. Next
    >> attempt to boot into 10.3 got a "filename must be either an absolute
    >> pathname or blocklist" failure. Trying to boot the 10.3 DVD into the
    >> "Repair System" mode failed with "an error occured during installation".
    >> Booting with the 10.2 DVD install mode was successful and I chose repair
    >> system. All the checks were OK but when it got to the boot repair that
    >> failed with
    >>
    >> setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0) (hd0,6)
    >> Error 21: Selected disk does not exist.
    >>
    >> Trying to boot from the hard drive returned to the bad 10.3 grub menu. I
    >> had reset the BIOS to defaults.
    >>
    >> Suggestions please, I might be able to recover XP but all my work is in
    >> the Linux partitions.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Paul

    > Back to working, booted into 10.2 using the 10.2 DVD, attempts to repair
    > the boot process for 10.2 failed. Then I used the 10.2 DVD to boot into
    > 10.3 and there the repair process worked (good enough). I then manually
    > cleaned up menu.lst and all's well. There's no resume entry and the boot
    > shows details in a large font, but it still works OK.
    >
    > Avoiding YaST for boot setup is probably a good idea with 10.3.

    I had so much trouble with the 10.2 GRUB updates that I resorted to manual
    edits. 10.3 has worked right for me - so far.
    --
    Will Honea