fstab - Suse

This is a discussion on fstab - Suse ; Just installed 10.3 in a separate parition and it seems to have some improvements over 10.2, e.g. wireless. But fstab doesn't show the 10.2 directories so I can copy files. The new fstab format seems confusing and I'm not finding ...

  1. fstab

    Just installed 10.3 in a separate parition and it seems to have some
    improvements over 10.2, e.g. wireless. But fstab doesn't show the 10.2
    directories so I can copy files. The new fstab format seems confusing
    and I'm not finding any Help that doesn't require a high speed Internet
    connection:-(

    10.2 is ext3 and partition 7, how should the fstab entry look?

    Thanks
    Paul

  2. Re: fstab

    Paul Thompson wrote:

    > 10.2 is ext3 and partition 7, how should the fstab entry look?

    so you want to mount your partition 7 (openSUSE 10.2)
    on the new openSUSE 10.3 system?
    why with fstab, let yast do it for you ;-)
    go to Yast - System - Partioner
    there you will see the partitions and just add a mount point.

    http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...t-partitie.png
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: fstab

    Paul Thompson wrote:

    > Just installed 10.3 in a separate parition and it seems to have some
    > improvements over 10.2, e.g. wireless. But fstab doesn't show the 10.2
    > directories so I can copy files. The new fstab format seems confusing
    > and I'm not finding any Help that doesn't require a high speed Internet
    > connection:-(
    >
    > 10.2 is ext3 and partition 7, how should the fstab entry look?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Paul

    assuming you have a single hd something like:
    /dev/sda7 /Suse10.2 ext3 user,acl,defaults,users 1 2

    I don't remember what 10.3 did that was diff? maybe mount on
    the /dev/disk/by-id?

    --
    Suse 10.3 x64, Kde 3.5.8, Gnome 2.20.0, Opera 9.x weekly

  4. Re: fstab

    Bill P schreef:
    > Paul Thompson wrote:
    >
    >> Just installed 10.3 in a separate parition and it seems to have some
    >> improvements over 10.2, e.g. wireless. But fstab doesn't show the 10.2
    >> directories so I can copy files. The new fstab format seems confusing
    >> and I'm not finding any Help that doesn't require a high speed Internet
    >> connection:-(
    >>
    >> 10.2 is ext3 and partition 7, how should the fstab entry look?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Paul

    > assuming you have a single hd something like:
    > /dev/sda7 /Suse10.2 ext3 user,acl,defaults,users 1 2
    >
    > I don't remember what 10.3 did that was diff? maybe mount on
    > the /dev/disk/by-id?

    Doing the old way would do just fine.

  5. Re: fstab

    Paul Thompson wrote:
    > Just installed 10.3 in a separate parition and it seems to have some
    > improvements over 10.2, e.g. wireless. But fstab doesn't show the 10.2
    > directories so I can copy files. The new fstab format seems confusing
    > and I'm not finding any Help that doesn't require a high speed Internet
    > connection:-(
    >
    > 10.2 is ext3 and partition 7, how should the fstab entry look?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Paul

    Thanks folks, /dev/sda7 didn't work so I used YaST to set a mount point
    and it substituted

    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTS726060M9AT00_MRH433M4H5RWRB-part7

    for the disk reference, Evidently the standard way of accessing disks
    may not work anymore. This is a lot to have to do manually, particularly
    when parts of YaST seem unreliable, e.g. boot loader maintenance:-(

    Paul

  6. Re: fstab

    On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Paul Thompson wrote:-

    >Thanks folks, /dev/sda7 didn't work so I used YaST to set a mount point
    >and it substituted
    >
    >/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTS726060M9AT00_MRH433M4H5RWRB-part7
    >
    >for the disk reference, Evidently the standard way of accessing disks
    >may not work anymore. This is a lot to have to do manually, particularly
    >when parts of YaST seem unreliable, e.g. boot loader maintenance:-(

    You can swap to using mounting by volume labels. If you're using
    ext2/ext3 you can set the volume label using:

    tune2fs -L "" ""

    and can be done while the partition is still mounted. OTOH, if you're
    using reiserfs, you'll need to umount the file system and then use:

    reiserfstune -l "" ""

    I don't know what you'd use with xfs, or the other file systems, but
    they should all be easily changed using the YaST partitioner, especially
    at the start of an installation.

    If you're making changes after installation, the partitioner may not be
    able to make the changes and so you'll need to manually change the lines
    in /etc/fstab so they read something like this:

    LABEL=_home /home ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2

    and it won't make any difference as to the whether the device is moved,
    either physically, or another drive is added and the hardware detection
    decides the new drive should be where the old one was.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

+ Reply to Thread