FTP & Firewall - Suse

This is a discussion on FTP & Firewall - Suse ; Hi, I'm running SuSE 10.2 with SuSEfirewall2 and vsftp. I'm trying to set up the ftp server and have run into some trouble. When I try to connect to the computer through another computer I cant get through. I'm using ...

  1. FTP & Firewall

    Hi,

    I'm running SuSE 10.2 with SuSEfirewall2 and vsftp. I'm trying to set
    up the ftp server and have run into some trouble. When I try to
    connect to the computer through another computer I cant get through.
    I'm using FileZilla on windows to connect to the linux box. All I get
    is
    "Connecting to 192.168.1.104...
    Connected with 192.168.1.104. Waiting for welcome message..." But it
    stalls and times out at this point. I've read through the docs on the
    SuSE site. Any pointers?

  2. Re: FTP & Firewall

    cooldog04 in
    <355bc911-3293-4ada-9782-8738a4a36712@y43g2000hsy.googlegroups.com> :

    > Any pointers?

    rootshell>nmap -p 21 hostname
    (from another machine) tells you if the port is open.

    if the command shows "filtered" the firewall is closing it, if the command
    shows "open", you probably need to edit vsftpd.config.

    P.

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyn-o-saur.com

  3. Re: FTP & Firewall

    cooldog04 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm running SuSE 10.2 with SuSEfirewall2 and vsftp. I'm trying to set
    > up the ftp server and have run into some trouble. When I try to
    > connect to the computer through another computer I cant get through.
    > I'm using FileZilla on windows to connect to the linux box. All I get
    > is
    > "Connecting to 192.168.1.104...
    > Connected with 192.168.1.104. Waiting for welcome message..." But it
    > stalls and times out at this point. I've read through the docs on the
    > SuSE site. Any pointers?

    Install the FTP YaST module. It provides you with a nice GUI to
    configure the FTP server (it supports vsftp and pure-ftp).

    Also make sure you're allowing connection from the outside (not only
    from localhost).

  4. Re: FTP & Firewall

    On Dec 4, 10:25 am, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > cooldog04 wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I'm running SuSE 10.2 with SuSEfirewall2 and vsftp. I'm trying to set
    > > up the ftp server and have run into some trouble. When I try to
    > > connect to the computer through another computer I cant get through.
    > > I'm using FileZilla on windows to connect to the linux box. All I get
    > > is
    > > "Connecting to 192.168.1.104...
    > > Connected with 192.168.1.104. Waiting for welcome message..." But it
    > > stalls and times out at this point. I've read through the docs on the
    > > SuSE site. Any pointers?

    > Install the FTP YaST module. It provides you with a nice GUI to
    > configure the FTP server (it supports vsftp and pure-ftp).
    >
    > Also make sure you're allowing connection from the outside (not only
    > from localhost).

    Yea none of that worked. I ran the nmap on port 21, 22, and 80 and it
    said 21 and 80 were 'closed' but 22 was open. I dont know what else to
    do! I have tried changing every setting in the yast control center!

    Help!!!!!!

  5. Re: FTP & Firewall

    cooldog04 in
    :

    > Yea none of that worked. I ran the nmap on port 21, 22, and 80 and it
    > said 21 and 80 were 'closed' but 22 was open. I dont know what else to
    > do! I have tried changing every setting in the yast control center!

    rootshell>iptablles-save | vim -

    This wil bring the standard output of the `iptablles-save' command to your
    vim editor.
    Search now for a line like "-A input_int -p tcp -m tcp --dport 21 -j ACCEPT"
    If its not there, yast let you easely add this port into the firewall.
    (You can close the vim editor with :q!)

    Is the application configured and running? You can find examples on your
    machine and internet. Do you use a router? (!)Do you use
    tcpwrappers? ->look at hosts.deny and hosts.allow.
    Do you use xinetd for ftp service (i reccomand that!)?

    Kind Regards,

    Peter

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyn-o-saur.com