YAST problem with hardware configure in 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on YAST problem with hardware configure in 10.3 - Suse ; I have a Kodicom 4400R board that I have to configure in Yast after EVERY reboot. It works fine once configured. Versions of openSUSE prior to 10.3 cannot recognize the card. For a production system (security system DVR), the required ...

  1. YAST problem with hardware configure in 10.3

    I have a Kodicom 4400R board that I have to configure in Yast after EVERY
    reboot. It works fine once configured. Versions of openSUSE prior to 10.3
    cannot recognize the card.
    For a production system (security system DVR), the required configure after
    a reboot is an absolute impossibility.
    How do I make Yast save the information beyond a reboot?

  2. Re: YAST problem with hardware configure in 10.3

    John Bowling in <6C65j.7$Fa7.3@newsfe17.lga> :

    > How do I make Yast save the information beyond a reboot?

    (I find it hard to guess what you exactly mean with your qeustion, so i try
    an answer, exuses for that)

    What is the data that is saved? Does the aplication thats needs this data
    starts up at boottime?

    rootshell>chkconfig

    This command show all the applications, No means, it does not startup at
    boot time, vice versa.
    You can toggle no to yes with:

    rootshell>chkconfig applicationname on

    P.

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyn-o-saur.com

  3. Re: YAST problem with hardware configure in 10.3

    Peter Terpstra wrote:

    > John Bowling in <6C65j.7$Fa7.3@newsfe17.lga> :
    >
    >> How do I make Yast save the information beyond a reboot?

    > (I find it hard to guess what you exactly mean with your qeustion, so i
    > try an answer, exuses for that)
    >
    > What is the data that is saved? Does the aplication thats needs this data
    > starts up at boottime?
    >
    > rootshell>chkconfig
    >
    > This command show all the applications, No means, it does not startup at
    > boot time, vice versa.
    > You can toggle no to yes with:
    >
    > rootshell>chkconfig applicationname on
    >
    > P.

    The data is what the kernel needs to configure the Kodicom card bootup.

    What I'm experiencing with it is that by using Yast > hardware > bttv, I can
    set up the hardware (Kodicom 4440R) so that /dev/video0 to /dev/video7 are
    created.
    I then exit out of Yast the normal way using [finish], where it would
    normally write something out to areas that need the configuration.
    It then proceeds to work until there is a reboot, at which point
    the /dev/videoN do not reappear and another manual trip through Yast is
    required.

    Other video input cards do work and my not need to be installed using Yast.
    Prior the 10.3 kernal, Kodicom cards were not able to function with
    openSUSE. Also, putting the option line (what others are recommending for
    ZoneMinder) for the Kodicom card into modprobe.conf has no effect.

    Thanks, John

  4. Re: YAST problem with hardware configure in 10.3

    John Bowling in :

    > I then exit out of Yast the normal way using [finish], where it would
    > normally write something out to areas that need the configuration.
    > It then proceeds to work until there is a reboot, at which point
    > the /dev/videoN do not reappear and another manual trip through Yast is
    > required.

    Thats because the bttv module is not loaded, or maybe loaded with wrong
    options.

    rootshell> modprobe bttv tuner=2

    > Other video input cards do work and my not need to be installed using
    > Yast. Prior the 10.3 kernal, Kodicom cards were not able to function with
    > openSUSE. *Also, putting the option line (what others are recommending for
    > ZoneMinder) for the Kodicom card into modprobe.conf has no effect.

    Really not?
    For manual editing use /etc/modprobe.conf.local

    It should be something like:
    options bttv pll=1 radio=0 card=0
    options tuner type=0
    options msp3400 simple=1

    I do not exactly know if these are the right options, i just read them here.

    If this does not work i have no other answer, sorry.

    Peter

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyn-o-saur.com

+ Reply to Thread