    using nowadays? By "using", I mean the one that's in use 6 or more
    times out of 10 you log in.

  2. Re: Window/Desktop managers on suse

    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "

  3. Re: Window/Desktop managers on suse

    TwelveEighty wrote:
    > Just curious: what Desktop/Window managers are folks in this newsgroup
    > using nowadays? By "using", I mean the one that's in use 6 or more
    > times out of 10 you log in.

    KDE ever since I logged in.

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup:
    _real_ men just upload their important stuff on ftp,
    and let the rest of the world mirror it "
    Linus Torvalds 1996.

  4. Re: Window/Desktop managers on suse

    TwelveEighty wrote:

    > Just curious: what Desktop/Window managers are folks in this newsgroup
    > using nowadays? By "using", I mean the one that's in use 6 or more
    > times out of 10 you log in.

    The best one. Look up with google wich one that is. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    It's people. Source code is made out of people! They're making our
    source out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle

  5. Re: Window/Desktop managers on suse

    On Sun, 2 Dec 2007, TwelveEighty wrote:-

    >Just curious: what Desktop/Window managers are folks in this newsgroup
    >using nowadays? By "using", I mean the one that's in use 6 or more
    >times out of 10 you log in.

    If you'd asked what I use most often when I log in, I'd have said a
    console :-) However, as a desktop environment, my preference is to
    normally use KDE. I have used Windowmaker on more than one occasion, and
    I've also tried Gnome and still don't like it.

    As for others, I've used Fluxbox, fvwm2, IceWM, MWM and TWM, none of
    which I found to be very usable to me. XFce4, OTOH, is quite usable for
    me, but some might be put off by it looking a little like a very trimmed
    down version of KDE.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  6. Re: Window/Desktop managers on suse

    David Bolt wrote:
    > As for others, I've used Fluxbox, fvwm2, IceWM, MWM and TWM, none of
    > which I found to be very usable to me. XFce4, OTOH, is quite usable for
    > me, but some might be put off by it looking a little like a very trimmed
    > down version of KDE.

    I started with Enlightenment, but that was a pain to configure. Then I
    tried WindowMaker and liked it. I have used XFce, but found things
    missing that I wanted.

    I have tried KDE and GNOME and the only way I can use them is by ripping
    everything off that makes it KDE or GNOME, so no point in using it.

    houghi
    --
    It's people. Source code is made out of people! They're making our
    source out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle
    for code. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!

  7. Re: Window/Desktop managers on suse

    On Dec 2, 12:09 pm, houghi wrote:

    > The best one. Look up with google wich one that is. ;-)

    Time to update those meta tags:

    Your search - site:houghi.org desktop manager - did not match any
    documents.

    Suggestions:

    * Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
    * Try different keywords.
    * Try more general keywords.
    * Try fewer keywords.

  8. Re: Window/Desktop managers on suse

    On 2007-12-02, TwelveEighty wrote:

    > Just curious: what Desktop/Window managers are folks in this newsgroup
    > using nowadays? By "using", I mean the one that's in use 6 or more
    > times out of 10 you log in.

    Windowmaker for me. Like Linux itself, it does everything I want, and nothing
    I don't want it to do.

    -Bill
    --
    Sattre Press Pagan Papers
    http://sattre-press.com/ by Kenneth Grahame

  9. Re: Window/Desktop managers on suse

    On Sun, 2 Dec 2007, TwelveEighty wrote:-

    >Your search - site:houghi.org desktop manager - did not match any
    >documents.

    Drop the 'site:' and '.org' and search again. Open the first link and
    skip back a page and you'll see which one houghi prefers. Alternatively,
    do a search for message-id: .

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  10. Re: Window/Desktop managers on suse

    TwelveEighty wrote:

    > Just curious: what Desktop/Window managers are folks in this newsgroup
    > using nowadays? By "using", I mean the one that's in use 6 or more
    > times out of 10 you log in.

    KDE for me. I've tried light window managers, but I always end up missing
    all the useful features that come with KDE.

    Gnome is OK. I can see the idea of trying to make it simple, but I always
    end up feeling that this leaves it rather limited. I like Gtk based GUIs
    though - beautiful.

    Chris Gordon-Smith
    London
    www.simsoup.info

  11. Re: Window/Desktop managers on suse

    TwelveEighty wrote:
    > On Dec 2, 12:09 pm, houghi wrote:
    >>
    >> The best one. Look up with google wich one that is. ;-)
    >>

    > Time to update those meta tags:
    >
    > Your search - site:houghi.org desktop manager - did not match any
    > documents.

    Aha. You thought that Google did only indexing of websites. It does much
    more then that. Also you asumed that I would be discussing my choice on
    my website, which I do not. ;-)

    Try one of the other searches you can do.

    houghi
    --
    Quote correct (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
    Zitiere richtig (DE) http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren

  12. Re: Window/Desktop managers on suse

    On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 10:35:34 -0800, TwelveEighty wrote:

    > Just curious: what Desktop/Window managers are folks in this newsgroup
    > using nowadays? By "using", I mean the one that's in use 6 or more
    > times out of 10 you log in.

    I used to use kde almost exclusively. Over the last year or two I've
    migrated to Gnome almost exclusively. It seems a little less like a toy -
    more 'businesslike' and more responsive.

  13. Re: Window/Desktop managers on suse

    TwelveEighty wrote:

    > Just curious: what Desktop/Window managers are folks in this newsgroup
    > using nowadays? By "using", I mean the one that's in use 6 or more
    > times out of 10 you log in.

    I use KDE almost exclusively. I've tried almost all of the others on
    occassion except Enlightenment.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  14. Re: Window/Desktop managers on suse

    TwelveEighty wrote:
    > Just curious: what Desktop/Window managers are folks in this newsgroup
    > using nowadays? By "using", I mean the one that's in use 6 or more
    > times out of 10 you log in.

    KDE. It's the most integrated and seems to work with most things
    (ever try to use keyboard shortcuts with a Gnome terminal when using
    character based YaST?).

    Gnome is ok. But I can't find any significant feature that is
    in Gnome that is not in KDE. I can probably create at least 100
    fairly significant items that are inside of KDE that aren't found
    in Gnome.

  15. Re: Window/Desktop managers on suse

    TwelveEighty schrieb:

    > Just curious: what Desktop/Window managers are folks in this
    > newsgroup using nowadays? By "using", I mean the one that's in use 6
    > or more times out of 10 you log in.

    I tried a lot. Simple window managers and complex desktop
    environments.

    At last I used Fluxbox which is slim, clear, fast and very transparent
    in configuration and in that way one of the best window managers
    dealing with overlapping windows.

    Now I use mostly wmii 3.6 which is a so called tiling window manager.
    It arranges windows not overlapping but side by side by setting the
    window's sizes. I also tried several approaches to this behaviour like
    Ion and Xmonad but wmii is more transparent and much more flexible. It
    can also handle overlapping windows very well in the case that a
    window does not allow to change it's size (like XMMS and other
    multimedia players). Works fine!

    T.M.

  16. Re: Window/Desktop managers on suse

    TwelveEighty wrote:
    > Just curious: what Desktop/Window managers are folks in this newsgroup
    > using nowadays? By "using", I mean the one that's in use 6 or more
    > times out of 10 you log in.

    KDE until I break it, then Gnome, until I break it. Then.....

  17. Re: Window/Desktop managers on suse

    TwelveEighty wrote:
    > Just curious: what Desktop/Window managers are folks in this newsgroup
    > using nowadays? By "using", I mean the one that's in use 6 or more
    > times out of 10 you log in.

    I forgot totally (I'm sure some others have, too) a window manager that
    I use a lot every day:

    Screen

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup:
    _real_ men just upload their important stuff on ftp,
    and let the rest of the world mirror it "
    Linus Torvalds 1996.

+ Reply to Thread