Odd Amarok update on OpenSuSE 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on Odd Amarok update on OpenSuSE 10.3 - Suse ; Hi there! A couple of days ago I did a fresh installation of OpenSuSE 10.3 on an external USB hard disk on my laptop computer. As far as I can tell, the installation went fine, and soon afterwards I got ...

  1. Odd Amarok update on OpenSuSE 10.3

    Hi there!

    A couple of days ago I did a fresh installation of OpenSuSE 10.3 on an
    external USB hard disk on my laptop computer. As far as I can tell,
    the installation went fine, and soon afterwards I got the automatic
    notification from OpenSuSE Updater that this many software updates
    were available. I accepted all of the suggestions, and clicked on
    "Install", and again everything seemed to work fine.

    But here's the strange thing... afterwards whenever the OpenSuSE
    Updater runs, it always tells me that an update for Amarok (type:
    recommended, new version: 4492-0) is available. I check its checkbox
    and click on "Install", it looks like the update goes fine... but the
    next time the Updater runs, it tells me again that this same update is
    available. Again and again.

    It's not a big problem, but it would be great to know what's going on
    here. Amarok meanwhile, is working fine on this computer by the way.
    Can anyone shed some light here?

    Thanks!
    Andy

  2. Re: Odd Amarok update on OpenSuSE 10.3

    Andy wrote:

    > But here's the strange thing... afterwards whenever the OpenSuSE
    > Updater runs, it always tells me that an update for Amarok (type:
    > recommended, new version: 4492-0) is available. I check its checkbox
    > and click on "Install", it looks like the update goes fine... but the
    > next time the Updater runs, it tells me again that this same update is
    > available. Again and again.
    >
    > It's not a big problem, but it would be great to know what's going on
    > here. Amarok meanwhile, is working fine on this computer by the way.
    > Can anyone shed some light here?

    I found that running Update from Yast and afterwards refreshing the updater
    icon repeated Amarok entries.

    Geoff Beale
    --
    Extract digit to email

  3. Re: Odd Amarok update on OpenSuSE 10.3

    Geoff Beale wrote:

    > Andy wrote:
    >

    >> But here's the strange thing... afterwards whenever the OpenSuSE
    >> Updater runs, it always tells me that an update for Amarok (type:
    >> recommended, new version: 4492-0) is available. I check its checkbox
    >> and click on "Install", it looks like the update goes fine... but the
    >> next time the Updater runs, it tells me again that this same update is
    >> available. Again and again.
    >>
    >> It's not a big problem, but it would be great to know what's going on
    >> here. Amarok meanwhile, is working fine on this computer by the way.
    >> Can anyone shed some light here?

    > I found that running Update from Yast and afterwards refreshing the
    > updater icon repeated Amarok entries.
    >
    > Geoff Beale

    Fat finger syndrome! Sorry.

    It should read:
    "refreshing the updater icon _stopped the_ repeated Amarok entries"
    --
    Extract digit to email

  4. Re: Odd Amarok update on OpenSuSE 10.3

    On Dec 2, 3:34 pm, Geoff Beale wrote:
    > Geoff Beale wrote:
    >
    > Fat finger syndrome! Sorry.
    >
    > It should read:
    > "refreshing the updater icon _stopped the_ repeated Amarok entries"
    > --
    > Extract digit to email

    Huh, thanks. I did refresh a few times from the updater icon and from
    Yast/Online Update, and even rebooted my computer a couple of times,
    and still had the same problem. But today when I turned on my
    computer, this problem was gone... magic!

    yours,
    Andy

  5. Re: Odd Amarok update on OpenSuSE 10.3

    On Dec 1, 8:27 am, Geoff Beale wrote:

    > I found that running Update from Yast and afterwards refreshing the updater
    > icon repeated Amarok entries.
    >
    > Geoff Beale

    Geoff, you're a genius - that has been bugging me for ages - thanks!

    To expand on this a bit, I went into YaST -> Online Update and then
    set
    both Amarok and Useless Audio Player to delete (single-click on the
    item
    until the icon changes to a trash can.)

    Then I accepted it and allowed it to finish up. After that I right-
    clicked on
    my tray icon for SuSE Updater and clicked "Check now", and after it
    completed,
    it no longer says that there is an update to Amarok available.

    Thanks again!

    CAB

  6. Re: Odd Amarok update on OpenSuSE 10.3

    Hi again,

    I'm not sure this problem I'm seeing since a few days ago is related
    to the Amarok update I wrote about on this thread, but the timing is
    certainly suspicious.

    Problem with podcasts: It happens that now Amarok can't refresh my
    podcast listings. I just get the icon with the X on a red circle, and
    the message "Unable to connect to Podcast Server". If I delete a
    podcast listing from my list of playlists and try to create it again,
    Amarok is not even able to retrieve the title of the podcast.

    Problem with internet radio: On the list of playlists, if I right
    click on the name of a radio station and select "Append to Playlist",
    nothing happens, the station is not added to the right pane.

    Whatever playlist I had defined on the right pane of Amarok, including
    the default welcome message from the creator of Amarok has disappeared
    by itself.

    I used Yast > Software Management, to uninstall Amarok (and a few
    things that depended on it), and Yast > Software Management to install
    again Amarok plus the other things that I had uninstalled. The
    problem is still there.

    This is a pitty. Does anybody have any suggestion for this new
    situation?

    Thanks!
    Andy

  7. Re: Odd Amarok update on OpenSuSE 10.3

    I have been looking for the repository which contains the unsual
    patch, after a few minutes of test and failure, I have located this
    patch at:

    http://download.opensuse.org/update/10.3/

    http://widehat.opensuse.org/update/1...marok-4492.xml

    There is something wrong about this xml.

  8. Re: Odd Amarok update on OpenSuSE 10.3

    erasomario@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have been looking for the repository which contains the unsual
    > patch, after a few minutes of test and failure, I have located this
    > patch at:
    >
    > http://download.opensuse.org/update/10.3/
    >
    > http://widehat.opensuse.org/update/1...marok-4492.xml
    >
    > There is something wrong about this xml.

    To get around this issue (SuSE update will not update/install the amarok
    patch) I removed my SuSE update source and added a new one via YAST.
    This assumes the new source is different when readded - but it worked.

    Guy

  9. Re: Odd Amarok update on OpenSuSE 10.3

    A very simple solution. As root:

    # zypper up -t patch

  10. Re: Odd Amarok update on OpenSuSE 10.3

    On Mar 2, 8:44 pm, joseph85...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > A very simple solution. As root:
    >
    > # zypper up -t patch

    Thanks, joseph85 -- that worked! Man, that amarok update has been
    annoying me for a while. But now it's gone. Kudos.

  11. Re: Odd Amarok update on OpenSuSE 10.3

    joseph85750@yahoo.com wrote:
    > A very simple solution. As root:
    >
    > # zypper up -t patch

    Thank you!