Upgrade from 10.0 to 10.2 - Suse

This is a discussion on Upgrade from 10.0 to 10.2 - Suse ; Hey all. I mostly run Gentoo boxes, and now I'm supporting a handful of SuSE boxes. URL or RTFM/HOWTO to upgrade 10.0 to 10.2? Any gotchas I need to be aware of? -Jeff...

  1. Upgrade from 10.0 to 10.2

    Hey all.

    I mostly run Gentoo boxes, and now I'm supporting a handful of SuSE
    boxes.

    URL or RTFM/HOWTO to upgrade 10.0 to 10.2?

    Any gotchas I need to be aware of?

    -Jeff

  2. Re: Upgrade from 10.0 to 10.2

    Oh yeah - can this be done over the network?

    Thanks again.

  3. Re: Upgrade from 10.0 to 10.2

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Jeff wrote:-

    >Hey all.
    >
    >I mostly run Gentoo boxes, and now I'm supporting a handful of SuSE
    >boxes.
    >
    >URL or RTFM/HOWTO to upgrade 10.0 to 10.2?

    I don't know of one, although there are probably some blogs out there
    with that info.

    >Any gotchas I need to be aware of?

    While it's not quite the same I recently performed an upgrade from 10.0
    to 10.3, the details of which are here:

    Upgrading to 10.2 should be easier since 10.2 doesn't default to using
    libata and having all drives appear as SCSI devices.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  4. Re: Upgrade from 10.0 to 10.2

    I noticed that there's some inconsistency with the sources list.

    What I currently see:

    SUSE LINUX Version 10.0

    distribution/SL-10.0-OSS/inst-source/

    But upgrade instructions, according to this page:

    http://en.opensuse.org/Updating_SUSE_Linux

    The new looks like:

    openSUSE 10.2

    distribution/10.3/repo/oss/

    are 'SUSE LINUX' and 'openSUSE' the same?

  5. Re: Upgrade from 10.0 to 10.2

    On Nov 28, 11:21 am, Jeff wrote:
    > Oh yeah - can this be done over the network?
    >
    > Thanks again.

    Found this:

    http://en.opensuse.org/Updating_SUSE_Linux

  6. Re: Upgrade from 10.0 to 10.2

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 06:55:55 -0800 in
    a4f5e348-60a1-47fe-90c2-754392cffa2b...oglegroups.com, Jeff
    wrote:

    > Hey all.
    >
    > I mostly run Gentoo boxes, and now I'm supporting a handful of SuSE
    > boxes.
    >
    > URL or RTFM/HOWTO to upgrade 10.0 to 10.2?
    >
    > Any gotchas I need to be aware of?

    The only thing I really noticed in 10.2 compared to 10.0 was that my
    wireless network card showed up under eth1 rather than wlan0, but that
    may not be important to your situation

    Stephan
    --
    Stephan Bird MChem(Hons) AMRSC
    Currently in Caernarfon, Wales

  7. Re: Upgrade from 10.0 to 10.2

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Jeff wrote:-

    >are 'SUSE LINUX' and 'openSUSE' the same?

    For the most part, yes.

    SUSE Linux were versions 10.0 and 10.1. Before 10.0, the name was SuSE
    Linux, and even further back was S.u.S.E. Linux. With 10.2, to highlight
    the open nature of the development by the community, the brand was
    renamed openSUSE.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  8. Re: Upgrade from 10.0 to 10.2

    Jeff wrote:

    This is not a flame. This is advice on how to get better help and keep
    this newsgroup clean
    Short story: Please read http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

    Long story:
    Google unfortunately decided not to use the standards of quoting on
    Usenet. There are several solutions to this problem. The best is to use a
    newsreader. For Windows there is e.g. FreeAgent and for Linux there is
    Pan, Knode or slrn, among others.

    Just point your newsreader to your providers Usenet server. If they do not
    have a Usenetserver, look up a payserver, like http://giganews.com or a
    free server like news.sunsite.dk (registration required)

    Now what if you are not at home all the time and that is your reason to
    select google? Glad you asked.
    If you have a fixed connection, you can use a dyndns server to make a
    connection to your home linux machine over ssl and use anything that is
    on your home computer.
    e.g. ssh home.example.com and then run slrn. GUI interfaces are possible
    as well on any OS.
    If you are unable to keep a connection up, you can register at
    http://www.rootshell.be and then connect to there and use slrn on that
    machine. slrn is textbased and might be scary at first. As Usenet is
    text anyway, you will very fast learn how to use it and configure it.

    Only if all else fails and you have no option in using Usnet in any other
    way, including waiting till you get home, you can use Google. You can
    still quote correctly as described on the following page:

    Understand that many people already filter out google postings. So best
    look for an alternative. Usenet is not WWW. If you want WWW, look up
    a webforum. This is not a webforum.

    I sympathize with your problems, and am more than willing to help you
    solve them. To do so you should follow the correct quoting principles
    and good Netiquette explained in this FAQ available at;
    http://www.plainfaqs.org/linux/

    Untill then I and many other regulars who could give you good advice
    won't do so. So in the interest of solcing your problems, quote correctly
    and ask Google to reinstate the correct way of quoting.

    Remember: this was not a flame, this was helping you to get the best
    response and help possible.

    houghi
    --
    Microsoft says, "Where do you want to go today?"
    Apple says, "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"

  9. Re: Upgrade from 10.0 to 10.2

    Um, thanks?

    *sigh*

    Anyhow, not completely knocking SuSE here, but man - yast becomes a
    PITA when it comes to upgrading. Just my opinion.

    I found zypper somewhat useful.

    Thanks for the info.

    Back to the drawing board!

  10. Re: Upgrade from 10.0 to 10.2

    Jeff wrote:
    > Um, thanks?
    >
    > *sigh*
    >
    > Anyhow, not completely knocking SuSE here, but man - yast becomes a
    > PITA when it comes to upgrading. Just my opinion.
    >
    > I found zypper somewhat useful.
    >
    > Thanks for the info.

    So why do you not use the info?

    > Back to the drawing board!

    houghi
    --
    Microsoft says, "Where do you want to go today?"
    Apple says, "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
    FOSS says, "Are you coming, or what?"

+ Reply to Thread