suse 10.3 run level - Suse

This is a discussion on suse 10.3 run level - Suse ; Hello, I installed on an external usb disk with a boot cd from internet. I installed both gnome and kde -Afterwards the pc made updates and, among others, changed the kernel from 2.6.22.5-31 to 2.6.22.12-0.1 (see boot.msg under) There is ...

  1. suse 10.3 run level

    Hello,
    I installed on an external usb disk with a boot cd from internet.
    I installed both gnome and kde
    -Afterwards the pc made updates and, among others, changed the kernel
    from 2.6.22.5-31 to 2.6.22.12-0.1 (see boot.msg under)
    There is a problem with iptables.

    -It fails to start level 5
    In /etc/sysconfig/dilplay manager i changed default from gdm to kdm
    Then the gui starts but i can just log as root but not as user..and no
    gnome session

    Any idea to get out of that jam ?!
    Thank you
    JMR

    here under : lines from boot.msg

    FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.22.5-31-default/modules.dep: No
    such file or directory
    iptables v1.3.8: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who?
    (do you need to insmod?)
    Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
    done

    Master Resource Control: runlevel 5 has been reached
    Failed services in runlevel 5: haldaemon avahi-daemon avahi-dnsconfd
    Skipped services in runlevel 5: smbfs irq_balancer
    killproc: kill(3057,3)

  2. Re: suse 10.3 run level

    jmr wrote:
    > -It fails to start level 5
    > In /etc/sysconfig/dilplay manager i changed default from gdm to kdm
    > Then the gui starts but i can just log as root but not as user..and no
    > gnome session
    >
    > Any idea to get out of that jam ?!
    > Thank you
    > JMR

    How to confiure the GUI.

    This answers how to configure the GUI when an installation or an upgrade
    does not show the GUI correctly. It will asume an installed system that
    (as far as you know) works perfectly.

    You will need root priveliges (know the root password) and the technical
    settings of your screen, so get that manual. If you don't have the
    manual, look it up. You are able tro post, so you have Internet
    connection.

    First do [CTRL][ALT][F1] to go to textmode. Don't be afraid, it is
    nothing scary. As user type `root` and type your password for root.
    Next type `init 3`. This will bring you to 100% textmode.
    Now run the command `sax2` and you should be able to configure your
    screen.
    If you do not find your screen and/or do not know your settings, start
    with the lowest ones and build your way up.

    When you have set up your screen and tested it, you just run the
    following command `init 5 && exit`. That will start up the GUI and if
    OK, log you out as root.

    If you still can't run the GUI but can run sax2 and the test at the end
    of sax2, it ain't a standard X issue.

    It can also be possible that sax2 does not work. Then you do `man sax2`
    and read it. Realy read it, because there will be a quiz later.

    Some ways to run SaX2 if the above does not work:
    `sax2 -b /usr/share/sax/profile/SomeProfil`
    Mainly for dual screen situations where the dual screen is not
    recognised.
    `sax2 -l` (Lowercase L not number one)
    For the lower resolution to be default. This can be usefull with
    newer screens that are not standard and did not bother to tell
    your software about the size it can handle
    `sax2 --vesa 0:1024x768@60`
    Run screen 0 (the first screen, 1 is the second) in resolution
    1024x768 at 60 Hz. Should be OK for most if not all LCD screens.

    Run the above and configure your screen(s). If it still ain't working,
    re-read the `sax2 man` page and try some of the other settings.

    If it does work, do `init 5 && exit`.

    Still problems? You can manualy configure it as well. Take a lot more
    information, so get back and tell us what you have done, your videocard
    and screen information, together with your SUSE version and wether or
    not it used to run before and if you have done an update of your system
    and if so, how.

    Aditional information might be needed as well.

    houghi
    --
    Theologians can pursuade themselves of anything. Anyone who can worship
    a trinity and insists that his religion is a monotheism can believe

  3. Re: suse 10.3 run level

    jmr in <47480e72$0$29550$fa620c48@newsreader-1.edpnet.be> :

    > In /etc/sysconfig/dilplay manager i changed default from gdm to kdm
    > Then the gui starts but i can just log as root but not as user..and no
    > gnome session

    If kdm starts you have options in the left corner to choose from unless you
    don't have the packages installed.
    Maybe you need also to reset the password for the user?

    > FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.22.5-31-default/modules.dep: No
    > such file or directory

    In modules.dep is all the information about the modules which the system
    need to load.

    But you had a upgrade to 2.6.22.12-0.1?
    Is the kernel succelfully installed?
    Did you already reboot? If no, first do that.

    Still errors about modules.dep?
    What kernel are you running with now?
    do:
    shell>uname -r

    shell>depmod -a
    Probably this should solve it.

    Not?

    If you have the same kernel version you need to re´nstall the kernel because
    something went wrong. Be very careful with this, without a working kernel
    the system does not boot.

    Please ask what you do not understand and report the errors you see.

    P.

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  4. Re: suse 10.3 run level

    Peter Terpstra a Úcrit :
    > jmr in <47480e72$0$29550$fa620c48@newsreader-1.edpnet.be> :
    >
    >> In /etc/sysconfig/dilplay manager i changed default from gdm to kdm
    >> Then the gui starts but i can just log as root but not as user..and no
    >> gnome session

    > If kdm starts you have options in the left corner to choose from unless you
    > don't have the packages installed.
    > Maybe you need also to reset the password for the user?
    >
    >> FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.22.5-31-default/modules.dep: No
    >> such file or directory

    > In modules.dep is all the information about the modules which the system
    > need to load.
    >
    > But you had a upgrade to 2.6.22.12-0.1?
    > Is the kernel succelfully installed?
    > Did you already reboot? If no, first do that.
    >
    > Still errors about modules.dep?
    > What kernel are you running with now?
    > do:
    > shell>uname -r
    >
    > shell>depmod -a
    > Probably this should solve it.
    >
    > Not?
    >
    > If you have the same kernel version you need to re´nstall the kernel because
    > something went wrong. Be very careful with this, without a working kernel
    > the system does not boot.
    >
    > Please ask what you do not understand and report the errors you see.
    >
    > P.

    Sorry to answer now but i was without internet and phone since Saturday
    afternoon.
    In the meantime i opened /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager default it was "gdm".
    I replaced it with "" and then i could connect on level 5 (GUI) but only
    as root; impossible to login as normal user (the password was correct)
    So i spent some time with 10.3 as root, retried to log as normal user
    and, "miracle", it worked and it goes on...
    Do not ask me what happened, i do not really know.
    Any way it is ok for now.
    Thank you to you all for the tips.

    jmr

+ Reply to Thread