RandR extensions? - Suse

This is a discussion on RandR extensions? - Suse ; Dear readers, Wen i go to the desktop settingsmenu an choose display i read: "Your Xserver is using the RandR extension at version 1.2 or greater wich does'nt have any configuration yet" What do they mean??? What do i need ...

  1. RandR extensions?

    Dear readers,

    Wen i go to the desktop settingsmenu an choose display i read:
    "Your Xserver is using the RandR extension at version 1.2 or greater wich
    does'nt have any configuration yet"

    What do they mean???
    What do i need to configure?

    Kind Regards,

    Peter

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  2. Re: RandR extensions?

    Peter Terpstra wrote:
    > Dear readers,
    >
    > Wen i go to the desktop settingsmenu an choose display i read:
    > "Your Xserver is using the RandR extension at version 1.2 or greater wich
    > does'nt have any configuration yet"
    >
    > What do they mean???
    > What do i need to configure?

    Same here. It probably means that either KDE doesn't support 1.2 yet,
    or that 1.2 does not offer any configuration. Not sure.

    Btw, I updated to KDE 3.5.8 and it still can't configure it.

  3. Re: RandR extensions?

    Nikos Chantziaras in :

    > Same here. *It probably means that either KDE doesn't support 1.2 yet,
    > or that 1.2 does not offer any configuration. *Not sure.
    >
    > Btw, I updated to KDE 3.5.8 and it still can't configure it.

    Ah, then 'm not the only one :-)
    I also have kde 3.5.8.

    P.

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  4. Re: RandR extensions?

    Peter Terpstra wrote:

    > Nikos Chantziaras in :
    >

    >> Same here. *It probably means that either KDE doesn't support 1.2 yet,
    >> or that 1.2 does not offer any configuration. *Not sure.
    >>
    >> Btw, I updated to KDE 3.5.8 and it still can't configure it.

    > Ah, then 'm not the only one :-)
    > I also have kde 3.5.8.

    There is workaround that Chris found.
    Start from console 'krandrtray' and right click on trayicon.
    It will offer you list of resolutions and you can select one.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  5. Re: RandR extensions?

    Rajko M. wrote:

    > Peter Terpstra wrote:
    >
    >> Nikos Chantziaras in :
    >>

    >>> Same here. *It probably means that either KDE doesn't support 1.2 yet,
    >>> or that 1.2 does not offer any configuration. *Not sure.
    >>>
    >>> Btw, I updated to KDE 3.5.8 and it still can't configure it.

    >> Ah, then 'm not the only one :-)
    >> I also have kde 3.5.8.

    > There is workaround that Chris found.
    > Start from console 'krandrtray' and right click on trayicon.
    > It will offer you list of resolutions and you can select one.

    You can also find krandrtray from the menu:

    System->Desktop Applet->KRandRTray

    --
    Chris

  6. Re: RandR extensions?

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 10:43:09 +0100, Peter Terpstra
    wrote:

    >Dear readers,
    >
    >Wen i go to the desktop settingsmenu an choose display i read:
    >"Your Xserver is using the RandR extension at version 1.2 or greater wich
    >does'nt have any configuration yet"
    >
    >What do they mean???
    >What do i need to configure?
    >
    >Kind Regards,
    >
    > Peter

    It means that the driver of your video card doesn't support RandR v1.2 yet.
    nvidia and ati propietary drivers don't, although nvidia has promised support
    since almost a year now.
    You can't configure anything in KDE, but remember that you can configure
    everything in xorg.conf, as usual. It's the best way.
    If you use some fancy display setup, like dual head, you may experience some
    glitches with KDE and you, like me, may prefer to disable RandR completely.

    Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "RandR" "false"
    EndSection

  7. Re: RandR extensions?

    Christos Gourdoupis in :

    > It means that the driver of your video card doesn't support RandR v1.2
    > yet. nvidia and ati propietary drivers don't, although nvidia has promised
    > support since almost a year now.
    > You can't configure anything in KDE, but remember that you can configure
    > everything in xorg.conf, as usual. It's the best way.
    > If you use some fancy display setup, like dual head, you may experience
    > some glitches with KDE and you, like me, may prefer to disable RandR
    > completely.
    >
    > Section "ServerFlags"
    > Option * "RandR" * *"false"
    > EndSection

    Ah, thank you very much, that was what i wanted to know!

    Kind Regards,

    Peter

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  8. Re: RandR extensions?

    Christos Gourdoupis wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 10:43:09 +0100, Peter Terpstra
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Dear readers,
    >>
    >>Wen i go to the desktop settingsmenu an choose display i read:
    >>"Your Xserver is using the RandR extension at version 1.2 or greater wich
    >>does'nt have any configuration yet"
    >>
    >>What do they mean???
    >>What do i need to configure?

    > It means that the driver of your video card doesn't support RandR v1.2
    > yet. nvidia and ati propietary drivers don't, although nvidia has promised
    > support since almost a year now.

    Hmm, the message tells that KDE found RandR >= 1.2 and it doesn't know what
    to do with it.

    So, ATI (Peter's computer) and NVIDIA (my computer) have RandR 1.2 (or
    greater=newer=later), but now we have to wait on KDE.

    > You can't configure anything in KDE, but remember that you can configure
    > everything in xorg.conf, as usual. It's the best way.
    > If you use some fancy display setup, like dual head, you may experience
    > some glitches with KDE and you, like me, may prefer to disable RandR
    > completely.

    Good idea.

    > Section "ServerFlags"
    > Option "RandR" "false"
    > EndSection

    Thanks Christos.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  9. Re: RandR extensions?

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 01:38:32 -0600, "Rajko M." wrote:

    >> It means that the driver of your video card doesn't support RandR v1.2
    >> yet. nvidia and ati propietary drivers don't, although nvidia has promised
    >> support since almost a year now.

    >Hmm, the message tells that KDE found RandR >= 1.2 and it doesn't knowwhat
    >to do with it.
    >
    >So, ATI (Peter's computer) and NVIDIA (my computer) have RandR 1.2 (or
    >greater=newer=later), but now we have to wait on KDE.

    No, xorg 7.2 has the randr v1.2 extension, KDE is ready for it, but the nvidia
    proprietary driver does not support it yet. Nvidia has it's own system for
    configuring the resolution, size and number of screens. It's called "twinview".
    It also supports randr v1.1.

    We don't have to wait on KDE, because it's not optimal to configure thesethings
    on a per user basis inside KDE. By "things" I mean all the hardware like video,
    keyboard, mouse etc. Even the KDE team suggests that we don't, because that
    increases the KDE startup time.
    Yast can do it (with sax) on a system-wide basis. But unfortunately sax can't
    configure what the video driver doesn't know.
    For example, I found out that sax and it's tools can't see my 2 screens.
    With randr enabled, "xquery -s" returns "1"
    So back to manually editing xorg.conf.

    The problem is that various programs query the number and size of screensand
    behave accordingly. My worst problem in my "dual head" setup was mplayer which,
    when asked to go fullscreen on the second screen (LCDTV), it thought thatthe
    resolution was equal to that of the 1st screen.
    Disabling randr fixed this. "xquery -s" returns "2" now.
    Of course, you lose krandrtray and the xrandr tool doesn't work either.
    There are some other minor kde glitches too, but I can live with them fornow.

+ Reply to Thread