10.3 KDE Display blanks out after 7 minutes - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.3 KDE Display blanks out after 7 minutes - Suse ; Happy Thanksgiving folks! This problem with the new OpenSuSE 10.3 (GM DVD plus all the updates), has me stumped. Exactly 7 minutes -- 420 sec. -- after the last keystroke or mouse movement or click, my display blanks out. I ...

  1. 10.3 KDE Display blanks out after 7 minutes

    Happy Thanksgiving folks!

    This problem with the new OpenSuSE 10.3 (GM DVD plus all
    the updates), has me stumped. Exactly 7 minutes -- 420 sec. --
    after the last keystroke or mouse movement or click, my display
    blanks out. I would like to prevent this, because the display has
    a long-standing hardware problem, so I don't want to stress it.

    I'm running OpenSuSE 10.3 with KDE 3.5 on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
    motherboard. I boot with the options acpi=off and apm=off.
    The KDE kpowersave demon is not running, but when it was running
    I set all four schemes to leave the display alone. The BIOS
    doesn't permit turning off its power management completely,
    but I set it to do screen blanking instead of DPMS (turning off
    the sync pulses to cause the CRT to power down) but the CRT does
    power down, some time after 7 minutes. Nothing is printed in
    /var/log/messages or dmesg when the display blanks. I've looked
    in /proc and can't find anything that seems relevant.

    In single-user mode (boot option "single"), the display blanks
    after exactly 10 minutes. So I figure it must be X doing this,
    but I've searched through /etc/X11 and can't find anything
    relevant. xorg.conf had an Option of DPMS for the monitor,
    which I removed, but the display still gets powered down.

  2. Re: 10.3 KDE Display blanks out after 7 minutes

    On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 11:12:54 -0800 (PST), Mark S Bilk
    wrote:

    >Happy Thanksgiving folks!
    >
    >This problem with the new OpenSuSE 10.3 (GM DVD plus all
    >the updates), has me stumped. Exactly 7 minutes -- 420 sec. --
    >after the last keystroke or mouse movement or click, my display
    >blanks out. I would like to prevent this, because the display has
    >a long-standing hardware problem, so I don't want to stress it.
    >
    >I'm running OpenSuSE 10.3 with KDE 3.5 on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
    >motherboard. I boot with the options acpi=off and apm=off.
    >The KDE kpowersave demon is not running, but when it was running
    >I set all four schemes to leave the display alone. The BIOS
    >doesn't permit turning off its power management completely,
    >but I set it to do screen blanking instead of DPMS (turning off
    >the sync pulses to cause the CRT to power down) but the CRT does
    >power down, some time after 7 minutes. Nothing is printed in
    >/var/log/messages or dmesg when the display blanks. I've looked
    >in /proc and can't find anything that seems relevant.
    >
    >In single-user mode (boot option "single"), the display blanks
    >after exactly 10 minutes. So I figure it must be X doing this,
    >but I've searched through /etc/X11 and can't find anything
    >relevant. xorg.conf had an Option of DPMS for the monitor,
    >which I removed, but the display still gets powered down.

    Try Ctrl-Alt-F1 to open another TTY console, then go back to X with
    Ctrl-Alt-F7, then hunt around for your problem again.

    At least, I get the feeling that you mean that it won't come back. My
    suggestion is for bringing it back if it wont come back. Anyway, look at
    your screen saver settings too.

  3. Re: 10.3 KDE Display blanks out after 7 minutes

    On Nov 22, 12:02 pm, ChairmanOfTheBored
    wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 11:12:54 -0800 (PST), Mark S Bilk
    >> Exactly 7 minutes -- 420 sec. -- after the last keystroke or mouse
    >> movement or click, my display blanks out.

    > Try Ctrl-Alt-F1 to open another TTY console, then go back to X with
    > Ctrl-Alt-F7, then hunt around for your problem again.
    >
    > At least, I get the feeling that you mean that it won't come back. My
    > suggestion is for bringing it back if it wont come back. Anyway, look at
    > your screen saver settings too.

    There's no problem making the display come back on. I just type any
    key,
    twitch the mouse, etc. Usually I press the shift key to avoid sending
    character to whatever window is active.

    When I open a TTY console, the timeout goes up to exactly 10 minutes,
    just like the console in single user mode.

    My KDE screensaver is totally turned off, and there's no xscreensaver
    process running.

  4. Re: 10.3 KDE Display blanks out after 7 minutes

    Mark S Bilk wrote:
    >On Nov 22, 12:02 pm, ChairmanOfTheBored
    >wrote:
    >> On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 11:12:54 -0800 (PST), Mark S Bilk
    >>> Exactly 7 minutes -- 420 sec. -- after the last keystroke or mouse
    >>> movement or click, my display blanks out.

    >> Try Ctrl-Alt-F1 to open another TTY console, then go back to X with
    >> Ctrl-Alt-F7, then hunt around for your problem again.
    >>
    >> At least, I get the feeling that you mean that it won't come back. My
    >> suggestion is for bringing it back if it wont come back. Anyway, look at
    >> your screen saver settings too.

    >There's no problem making the display come back on. I just type any
    >key,
    >twitch the mouse, etc. Usually I press the shift key to avoid sending
    >character to whatever window is active.

    >When I open a TTY console, the timeout goes up to exactly 10 minutes,
    >just like the console in single user mode.

    >My KDE screensaver is totally turned off, and there's no xscreensaver
    >process running.

    If you are running a desktop, it is your monitor's "time-out"
    that is turning off your screen. Check your monitor manual for
    details.

    If it is a laptop, then it is likely that this is a BIOS setting.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  5. Re: 10.3 KDE Display blanks out after 7 minutes

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 01:56:08 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans
    wrote:

    >Mark S Bilk wrote:
    >>On Nov 22, 12:02 pm, ChairmanOfTheBored
    >>wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 11:12:54 -0800 (PST), Mark S Bilk
    >>>
    >>> Try Ctrl-Alt-F1 to open another TTY console, then go back to X with
    >>> Ctrl-Alt-F7, then hunt around for your problem again.
    >>>
    >>> At least, I get the feeling that you mean that it won't come back. My
    >>> suggestion is for bringing it back if it wont come back. Anyway, look at
    >>> your screen saver settings too.

    >>There's no problem making the display come back on. I just type any
    >>key,
    >>twitch the mouse, etc. Usually I press the shift key to avoid sending
    >>character to whatever window is active.

    >>When I open a TTY console, the timeout goes up to exactly 10 minutes,
    >>just like the console in single user mode.

    >>My KDE screensaver is totally turned off, and there's no xscreensaver
    >>process running.

    >If you are running a desktop, it is your monitor's "time-out"
    >that is turning off your screen. Check your monitor manual for
    >details.
    >
    >If it is a laptop, then it is likely that this is a BIOS setting.

    Monitors do not have timeouts, and they certainly have no way of
    detecting a mouse event to turn back on from. Try again.

  6. Re: 10.3 KDE Display blanks out after 7 minutes

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    > Monitors do not have timeouts, and they certainly have no way of
    > detecting a mouse event to turn back on from. Try again.

    Then mine must be broken, because it has a timeout.

    houghi
    --
    First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to turn
    numbers into letters with ASCII and we thought it was a typewriter. Then

  7. Re: 10.3 KDE Display blanks out after 7 minutes

    houghi wrote:
    > ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    >> Monitors do not have timeouts, and they certainly have no way of
    >> detecting a mouse event to turn back on from. Try again.

    > Then mine must be broken, because it has a timeout.
    >
    > houghi

    Try running "xset q" and look at the settings. man xset should give you
    the instructions on how to adjust the different settings.

    I believe:
    xset -dpms = turn off display power management system (+dpms = on)
    xset s noblank = turn of blanking (xset s blank = turn on)
    etc...

    I have a little script that runs when I log in which turns off the bell,
    disables blanking and also dpms.

    I noticed some of these "x" options are controlled by KDE, others not
    (so much...they are based in "X11" after all IIRC my UNIX CDE days).

    Hope that help/points you in the right direction.

    Paul

  8. Re: 10.3 KDE Display blanks out after 7 minutes

    Mark S Bilk wrote:
    > Happy Thanksgiving folks!
    >
    > This problem with the new OpenSuSE 10.3 (GM DVD plus all
    > the updates), has me stumped. Exactly 7 minutes -- 420 sec. --
    > after the last keystroke or mouse movement or click, my display
    > blanks out. I would like to prevent this, because the display has
    > a long-standing hardware problem, so I don't want to stress it.
    >
    > I'm running OpenSuSE 10.3 with KDE 3.5 on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
    > motherboard. I boot with the options acpi=off and apm=off.
    > The KDE kpowersave demon is not running, but when it was running
    > I set all four schemes to leave the display alone. The BIOS
    > doesn't permit turning off its power management completely,
    > but I set it to do screen blanking instead of DPMS (turning off
    > the sync pulses to cause the CRT to power down) but the CRT does
    > power down, some time after 7 minutes. Nothing is printed in
    > /var/log/messages or dmesg when the display blanks. I've looked
    > in /proc and can't find anything that seems relevant.
    >
    > In single-user mode (boot option "single"), the display blanks
    > after exactly 10 minutes. So I figure it must be X doing this,
    > but I've searched through /etc/X11 and can't find anything
    > relevant. xorg.conf had an Option of DPMS for the monitor,
    > which I removed, but the display still gets powered down.

    Try running "xset q" which should show the current "x display" settings.
    man xset will show you all the options and flags.

    To your question/situation:
    - xset s noblank = turn off blanking
    - xset -dpms = turn of the display power management service/system

    I have a little script that runs when I log on which turns off the bell,
    and disables both blanking and dpms.

    Hope that helps some/heads you in the right direction.

    Paul

  9. Re: 10.3 KDE Display blanks out after 7 minutes

    On Nov 23, 3:57 am, Sub Genius wrote:

    > Try running "xset q" which should show the current "x display" settings.
    > man xset will show you all the options and flags.
    >
    > To your question/situation:
    > - xset s noblank = turn off blanking
    > - xset -dpms = turn of the display power management service/system
    >
    > I have a little script that runs when I log on which turns off the bell,
    > and disables both blanking and dpms.
    >
    > Hope that helps some/heads you in the right direction.
    >
    > Paul

    Thank you! Yes, this is the key, which I also got from Akkana Peck
    in the local LUG this afternoon. Here's her excellent writeup on it:

    http://shallowsky.com/linux/x-screen-blanking.html

    The xset man page is also good. "xset q" reveals the 420 second
    timeout value on my system! All I have to do to stop the display
    blanking and subsequent power-down is to run "xset -dpms" after
    X has started.

    The setterm program serves a similar function for the virtual (Ctrl-
    Alt-Fn) consoles. "setterm -blank 0" and "setterm -powersave off"
    eliminate
    the 10 minute timeout I was having there (probably only one of them
    is needed).

  10. Re: 10.3 KDE Display blanks out after 7 minutes

    Paul J Gans in :

    > If you are running a desktop, it is your monitor's "time-out"
    > that is turning off your screen. *Check your monitor manual for
    > details.

    In most cases not.
    Desktopmenu -> display -> Energy controll .
    There you can find the timesettings for the monitor to blank or shut it off.

    P.

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  11. Re: 10.3 KDE Display blanks out after 7 minutes

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 07:43:58 +0100, houghi
    wrote:

    >ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    >> Monitors do not have timeouts, and they certainly have no way of
    >> detecting a mouse event to turn back on from. Try again.

    >Then mine must be broken, because it has a timeout.

    TVs have timeouts. Are you using an FPD TV that has inputs that your
    computer can feed?

    Big difference.

    Also, I note no mention of the fact that he said a mouse move restores
    it, which rules out a display timeout.

    >houghi

  12. Re: 10.3 KDE Display blanks out after 7 minutes

    Mark S Bilk wrote:

    > On Nov 22, 12:02 pm, ChairmanOfTheBored
    > wrote:
    >> On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 11:12:54 -0800 (PST), Mark S Bilk
    >>> Exactly 7 minutes -- 420 sec. -- after the last keystroke or mouse
    >>> movement or click, my display blanks out.

    >> Try Ctrl-Alt-F1 to open another TTY console, then go back to X with
    >> Ctrl-Alt-F7, then hunt around for your problem again.
    >>
    >> At least, I get the feeling that you mean that it won't come back. My
    >> suggestion is for bringing it back if it wont come back. Anyway, look at
    >> your screen saver settings too.

    > There's no problem making the display come back on. I just type any
    > key,
    > twitch the mouse, etc. Usually I press the shift key to avoid sending
    > character to whatever window is active.
    >
    > When I open a TTY console, the timeout goes up to exactly 10 minutes,
    > just like the console in single user mode.
    >
    > My KDE screensaver is totally turned off, and there's no xscreensaver
    > process running.

    I think powersave options are on by default and come on at 10 minutes. They
    even show up before the screensaver and give a totally blank screen.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  13. Re: 10.3 KDE Display blanks out after 7 minutes

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 01:56:08 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Mark S Bilk wrote:

    >>>There's no problem making the display come back on. I just type any
    >>>key,
    >>>twitch the mouse, etc. Usually I press the shift key to avoid sending
    >>>character to whatever window is active.

    >>>When I open a TTY console, the timeout goes up to exactly 10 minutes,
    >>>just like the console in single user mode.

    >>>My KDE screensaver is totally turned off, and there's no xscreensaver
    >>>process running.

    >>If you are running a desktop, it is your monitor's "time-out"
    >>that is turning off your screen. Check your monitor manual for
    >>details.
    >>
    >>If it is a laptop, then it is likely that this is a BIOS setting.

    > Monitors do not have timeouts, and they certainly have no way of
    > detecting a mouse event to turn back on from. Try again.

    Still using your mommy's computer I see. Again your youth is showing
    itself. Some monitors do have timing circuits and use bidirectional
    signals. Need a pinout of the video connector. I have both a viewsonic and
    a gateway (sony) that shuts the monitor down to a preset time. Most of the
    new LCD monitors have this feature too, especially the ones which come with
    Compaqs and HP (same machines and company).

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  14. Re: 10.3 KDE Display blanks out after 7 minutes

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 00:17:52 -0500, Darrell Stec
    wrote:

    >ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 01:56:08 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans
    >> wrote:

    >>>If you are running a desktop, it is your monitor's "time-out"
    >>>that is turning off your screen. Check your monitor manual for
    >>>details.
    >>>
    >>>If it is a laptop, then it is likely that this is a BIOS setting.

    >> Monitors do not have timeouts, and they certainly have no way of
    >> detecting a mouse event to turn back on from. Try again.

    >Still using your mommy's computer I see.

    You're a goddamned idiot. I am on MY PC and it uses a 32" HDTV display
    fed by an 8800, asswipe.

    I am 47 years old, you retarded ****.

    They do NOT detect mouse events though, dip****.

    > Need a pinout of the video connector.

    You need pins driven into your skull. Preferably loaded with curare.

    > I have both a viewsonic and
    >a gateway (sony) that shuts the monitor down to a preset time. Most of the
    >new LCD monitors have this feature too, especially the ones which come with
    >Compaqs and HP (same machines and company).

    Feature? Bwuahahahah! You are funny, and that is aside from your
    looks.

  15. Re: 10.3 KDE Display blanks out after 7 minutes

    ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

    > On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 00:17:52 -0500, Darrell Stec
    > wrote:
    >
    >>ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

    >>> Monitors do not have timeouts, and they certainly have no way of
    >>> detecting a mouse event to turn back on from. Try again.

    >>Still using your mommy's computer I see.

    > You're a goddamned idiot. I am on MY PC and it uses a 32" HDTV display
    > fed by an 8800, asswipe.
    >
    >> Again your youth is showing
    >>itself.

    > I am 47 years old, you retarded ****.
    >
    >> Some monitors do have timing circuits and use bidirectional
    >>signals.

    > They do NOT detect mouse events though, dip****.
    >
    >> Need a pinout of the video connector.

    > You need pins driven into your skull. Preferably loaded with curare.
    >
    >> I have both a viewsonic and
    >>a gateway (sony) that shuts the monitor down to a preset time. Most of
    >>the new LCD monitors have this feature too, especially the ones which come
    >>with Compaqs and HP (same machines and company).

    > Feature? Bwuahahahah! You are funny, and that is aside from your
    > looks.

    Bull****. You are a teenager who likes to play with gaming consoles
    expecially Playstation 3. And you nymshift like you did a month or two
    back and agree with your other self.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com