Hi all,

I have a weird problem with my network connection.

When I read from one of my optical drives (e.g. DVD playback, file
copy)
under openSUSE 10.3, my LAN connection breaks after a short while. The
only
way I can get it back is to reconfigure/restart the network card via
Yast
(happens with both NetworkManager and Ifup as management options).

My guess it that this is connected to a flaky implementation of the
SATA
driver for IDE drives (see "Hacking openSUSE 10.3,"
http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/84). The solution
proposed
in the article is to prevent the PATA module from starting
("hwprobe=-modules.pata" in GRUB), but this doesn't have any effect on
my
machine. My drives still appear as sdX instead of hdX.

Any ideas as to how this can be fixed?

Interestingly, a dmesg gives me some weird ALSA errors while the
network
connection is broken. Looks like this:

ALSA sound/core/pcm_lib.c:155: BUG: stream = 0, pos = 0x86800, buffer
size =
0x4000, period size = 0x400
ALSA sound/pci/via82xx.c:811: invalid via82xx_cur_ptr (2), using last
valid
pointer

I have an Asrock motherboard with a VIA chipset; LAN (VIA Rhine) and
audio
are onboard. Maybe it's some conflict between the two, but then I'm
really
clueless about how to fix it. (But then why do problems only occur
when I'm reading from optical drives? Meh.)

Thanks a lot!