Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash?? - Suse

This is a discussion on Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash?? - Suse ; Hi all, I used to be using (Open)SuSE until about a year and a half ago, when I stepped over to Kubuntu because of a number of reasons (a.o. better support of my new laptop and the impossibility of getting ...

  1. Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash??

    Hi all,

    I used to be using (Open)SuSE until about a year and a half ago, when I
    stepped over to Kubuntu because of a number of reasons (a.o. better support
    of my new laptop and the impossibility of getting Opensuse 10.1 installed
    on it).

    Rather unfortunately there seems to be a serious problem in Kubuntu with
    Firefox crashing on pages with flash. Googling for it, I noticed this also
    appeared to be happening in SuSE 10.2 but I'm wondering if it still occurs
    in 10.3.

    Anyone able to answer that so I can possibly move back to Opensuse?

    Thanks!
    Marc

  2. Re: Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash??

    On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 18:05 +0100, Marc wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I used to be using (Open)SuSE until about a year and a half ago, when I
    > stepped over to Kubuntu because of a number of reasons (a.o. better support
    > of my new laptop and the impossibility of getting Opensuse 10.1 installed
    > on it).
    >
    > Rather unfortunately there seems to be a serious problem in Kubuntu with
    > Firefox crashing on pages with flash. Googling for it, I noticed this also
    > appeared to be happening in SuSE 10.2 but I'm wondering if it still occurs
    > in 10.3.
    >
    > Anyone able to answer that so I can possibly move back to Opensuse?

    Flash works perfectly for me. You need to supply the URL of the
    offending page that causes the problem.

  3. Re: Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash??

    Chris Cox wrote:

    > On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 18:05 +0100, Marc wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I used to be using (Open)SuSE until about a year and a half ago, when I
    >> stepped over to Kubuntu because of a number of reasons (a.o. better
    >> support of my new laptop and the impossibility of getting Opensuse 10.1
    >> installed on it).
    >>
    >> Rather unfortunately there seems to be a serious problem in Kubuntu with
    >> Firefox crashing on pages with flash. Googling for it, I noticed this
    >> also appeared to be happening in SuSE 10.2 but I'm wondering if it still
    >> occurs in 10.3.
    >>
    >> Anyone able to answer that so I can possibly move back to Opensuse?

    > Flash works perfectly for me. You need to supply the URL of the
    > offending page that causes the problem.

    Well, on Kubuntu it's actually all pages with flash that (eventually) crash
    Firefox. Need to add that it (usually) only crashes after having visited x
    of such websites with flash, where x can be anything between 1 and 5.

    To give a well known URL that causes crashes: www.youtube.com ;-)

  4. Re: Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash??

    Marc wrote:
    > Rather unfortunately there seems to be a serious problem in Kubuntu with
    > Firefox crashing on pages with flash. Googling for it, I noticed this also
    > appeared to be happening in SuSE 10.2 but I'm wondering if it still occurs
    > in 10.3.
    >
    > Anyone able to answer that so I can possibly move back to Opensuse?

    I never had an issue ever with any flash crashing my browser. The
    'worst' I have seen is that my version is not new enough.

    If I see my browser crashing, till now it always was bad programming in
    one of the java or javascripts. Tell me what site you have problems with
    and I can go look for you.

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

  5. Re: Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash??

    Marc wrote:
    > Well, on Kubuntu it's actually all pages with flash that (eventually) crash
    > Firefox. Need to add that it (usually) only crashes after having visited x
    > of such websites with flash, where x can be anything between 1 and 5.
    >
    > To give a well known URL that causes crashes: www.youtube.com ;-)

    I just opend 6 links from that site at the same time. What I do see is
    an enourmous increase in load to about 3. Also the CPU is around 75% and
    the movies are playing all at the same time, getting in each others way
    and slowing down, yet no crash.

    Oh an I had just launched software management as well.

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

  6. Re: Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash??

    Back when I used Suse 9.3 I never had a problem with flash sites, but
    when I upgraded to Suse 10.2 then youtube started randomly crashing
    firefox (well, making it non-responsive, actually). It has been so since.
    Anyone has any idea of why?

  7. Re: Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash??

    Juha Nieminen wrote:

    > Back when I used Suse 9.3 I never had a problem with flash sites, but
    > when I upgraded to Suse 10.2 then youtube started randomly crashing
    > firefox (well, making it non-responsive, actually). It has been so since.
    > Anyone has any idea of why?

    And you are still on 10.2?

  8. Re: Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash??

    houghi wrote:

    > Marc wrote:
    >> Well, on Kubuntu it's actually all pages with flash that (eventually)
    >> crash Firefox. Need to add that it (usually) only crashes after having
    >> visited x of such websites with flash, where x can be anything between 1
    >> and 5.
    >>
    >> To give a well known URL that causes crashes: www.youtube.com ;-)

    > I just opend 6 links from that site at the same time. What I do see is
    > an enourmous increase in load to about 3. Also the CPU is around 75% and
    > the movies are playing all at the same time, getting in each others way
    > and slowing down, yet no crash.
    >
    > Oh an I had just launched software management as well.
    >
    > houghi

    That sounds promising, to say the least. Maybe I should just give 10.3 a
    try....

  9. Re: Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash??

    Marc wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I used to be using (Open)SuSE until about a year and a half ago, when I
    > stepped over to Kubuntu because of a number of reasons (a.o. better support
    > of my new laptop and the impossibility of getting Opensuse 10.1 installed
    > on it).
    >
    > Rather unfortunately there seems to be a serious problem in Kubuntu with
    > Firefox crashing on pages with flash. Googling for it, I noticed this also
    > appeared to be happening in SuSE 10.2 but I'm wondering if it still occurs
    > in 10.3.
    >
    > Anyone able to answer that so I can possibly move back to Opensuse?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Marc

    I never knew Flash to crash FF under 10.2 and has not done so under
    10.3. Therefore suspect you might have something broken, or the websites
    you visit are badly scripted or have buggy flash elements.

  10. Re: Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash??

    On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 20:00 +0100, Marc wrote:
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 18:05 +0100, Marc wrote:
    > >> Hi all,
    > >>
    > >> I used to be using (Open)SuSE until about a year and a half ago, when I
    > >> stepped over to Kubuntu because of a number of reasons (a.o. better
    > >> support of my new laptop and the impossibility of getting Opensuse 10.1
    > >> installed on it).
    > >>
    > >> Rather unfortunately there seems to be a serious problem in Kubuntu with
    > >> Firefox crashing on pages with flash. Googling for it, I noticed this
    > >> also appeared to be happening in SuSE 10.2 but I'm wondering if it still
    > >> occurs in 10.3.
    > >>
    > >> Anyone able to answer that so I can possibly move back to Opensuse?

    > > Flash works perfectly for me. You need to supply the URL of the
    > > offending page that causes the problem.

    > Well, on Kubuntu it's actually all pages with flash that (eventually) crash
    > Firefox. Need to add that it (usually) only crashes after having visited x
    > of such websites with flash, where x can be anything between 1 and 5.
    >
    > To give a well known URL that causes crashes: www.youtube.com ;-)

    I visit flash sites ALL the time, including youtube and some gaming
    sites. Never had a problem on either my 32bit dually or may 64bit 4way
    box (the latter runs a 32bit Ffox). No issue that I know of with
    regards to flash and openSUSE (granted, I'm still at 10.2 though).

  11. Re: Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash??

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:

    > Marc wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I used to be using (Open)SuSE until about a year and a half ago, when I
    >> stepped over to Kubuntu because of a number of reasons (a.o. better
    >> support of my new laptop and the impossibility of getting Opensuse 10.1
    >> installed on it).
    >>
    >> Rather unfortunately there seems to be a serious problem in Kubuntu with
    >> Firefox crashing on pages with flash. Googling for it, I noticed this
    >> also appeared to be happening in SuSE 10.2 but I'm wondering if it still
    >> occurs in 10.3.
    >>
    >> Anyone able to answer that so I can possibly move back to Opensuse?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >> Marc

    > I never knew Flash to crash FF under 10.2 and has not done so under
    > 10.3. Therefore suspect you might have something broken, or the websites
    > you visit are badly scripted or have buggy flash elements.

    No, it's not a broken install, unfortunately. It's a well known problem for
    many Kubuntu users. Just google for it
    (http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=...e+zoeken&meta=)
    and you'll see ;-)

  12. Re: Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash??

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 21:25:13 +0100, Marc wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Marc wrote:
    >>> Well, on Kubuntu it's actually all pages with flash that (eventually)
    >>> crash Firefox. Need to add that it (usually) only crashes after having
    >>> visited x of such websites with flash, where x can be anything between 1
    >>> and 5.
    >>>
    >>> To give a well known URL that causes crashes: www.youtube.com ;-)

    >> I just opend 6 links from that site at the same time. What I do see is
    >> an enourmous increase in load to about 3. Also the CPU is around 75% and
    >> the movies are playing all at the same time, getting in each others way
    >> and slowing down, yet no crash.
    >>
    >> Oh an I had just launched software management as well.
    >>
    >> houghi

    > That sounds promising, to say the least. Maybe I should just give 10.3 a
    > try....

    Have you considered trying another browser? epiphany, konqueror, . . .

  13. Re: Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash??

    Marc wrote:
    > Juha Nieminen wrote:
    >
    >> Back when I used Suse 9.3 I never had a problem with flash sites, but
    >> when I upgraded to Suse 10.2 then youtube started randomly crashing
    >> firefox (well, making it non-responsive, actually). It has been so since.
    >> Anyone has any idea of why?

    > And you are still on 10.2?

    Yes.

  14. Re: Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash??

    Marc wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I used to be using (Open)SuSE until about a year and a half ago, when I
    > stepped over to Kubuntu because of a number of reasons (a.o. better support
    > of my new laptop and the impossibility of getting Opensuse 10.1 installed
    > on it).
    >
    > Rather unfortunately there seems to be a serious problem in Kubuntu with
    > Firefox crashing on pages with flash. Googling for it, I noticed this also
    > appeared to be happening in SuSE 10.2 but I'm wondering if it still occurs
    > in 10.3.
    >
    > Anyone able to answer that so I can possibly move back to Opensuse?

    Actually, it never crashed on me in neither Kubuntu (7.10) nor openSUSE
    (10.3). Don't know about older (K)Ubuntus. IIRC, I had this problem
    with SUSE 10.1.

  15. Re: Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash??

    Juha Nieminen wrote:
    > Marc wrote:
    >> Juha Nieminen wrote:
    >>
    >>> Back when I used Suse 9.3 I never had a problem with flash sites, but
    >>> when I upgraded to Suse 10.2 then youtube started randomly crashing
    >>> firefox (well, making it non-responsive, actually). It has been so since.
    >>> Anyone has any idea of why?

    >> And you are still on 10.2?

    > Yes.

    I'm using 10.2 (x64) and I've never had firefox (2.0.0.8) crash on
    youtube, and I waste a lot of time on youtube

  16. Re: Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash??

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    > Marc wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I used to be using (Open)SuSE until about a year and a half ago, when I
    >> stepped over to Kubuntu because of a number of reasons (a.o. better
    >> support of my new laptop and the impossibility of getting Opensuse 10.1
    >> installed on it).
    >>
    >> Rather unfortunately there seems to be a serious problem in Kubuntu with
    >> Firefox crashing on pages with flash. Googling for it, I noticed this
    >> also appeared to be happening in SuSE 10.2 but I'm wondering if it still
    >> occurs in 10.3.
    >>
    >> Anyone able to answer that so I can possibly move back to Opensuse?

    > Actually, it never crashed on me in neither Kubuntu (7.10) nor openSUSE
    > (10.3). Don't know about older (K)Ubuntus. IIRC, I had this problem
    > with SUSE 10.1.

    Well, I am on the latest and gratest and continuously updated Kubuntu 7.10,
    but Firefox still crashes and also crashed back in 7.04. I also understand
    it doesn't crash on all systems but that it somehow depends on your sound
    chipset. Also, there are some workarounds on the net but again, they don't
    seem to work on all systems.

  17. Re: Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash??

    Marc wrote:
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 18:05 +0100, Marc wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I used to be using (Open)SuSE until about a year and a half ago, when I
    >>> stepped over to Kubuntu because of a number of reasons (a.o. better
    >>> support of my new laptop and the impossibility of getting Opensuse 10.1
    >>> installed on it).
    >>>
    >>> Rather unfortunately there seems to be a serious problem in Kubuntu with
    >>> Firefox crashing on pages with flash. Googling for it, I noticed this
    >>> also appeared to be happening in SuSE 10.2 but I'm wondering if it still
    >>> occurs in 10.3.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone able to answer that so I can possibly move back to Opensuse?

    >> Flash works perfectly for me. You need to supply the URL of the
    >> offending page that causes the problem.

    > Well, on Kubuntu it's actually all pages with flash that (eventually) crash
    > Firefox. Need to add that it (usually) only crashes after having visited x
    > of such websites with flash, where x can be anything between 1 and 5.
    >
    > To give a well known URL that causes crashes: www.youtube.com ;-)

    My Firefox used to also lock up tight after a couple of youtube videos.
    I resorted to using Opera or Konqueror for it. Now that I've updated
    to 10.3 it doesn't seem to have that trouble anymore. Don't know if it
    was SUSE specific or the Mozilla folks fixed Firefox...

  18. Re: Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash??

    Marc wrote:
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 18:05 +0100, Marc wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I used to be using (Open)SuSE until about a year and a half ago, when I
    >>> stepped over to Kubuntu because of a number of reasons (a.o. better
    >>> support of my new laptop and the impossibility of getting Opensuse 10.1
    >>> installed on it).
    >>>
    >>> Rather unfortunately there seems to be a serious problem in Kubuntu with
    >>> Firefox crashing on pages with flash. Googling for it, I noticed this
    >>> also appeared to be happening in SuSE 10.2 but I'm wondering if it still
    >>> occurs in 10.3.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone able to answer that so I can possibly move back to Opensuse?

    >> Flash works perfectly for me. You need to supply the URL of the
    >> offending page that causes the problem.

    > Well, on Kubuntu it's actually all pages with flash that (eventually) crash
    > Firefox. Need to add that it (usually) only crashes after having visited x
    > of such websites with flash, where x can be anything between 1 and 5.
    >
    > To give a well known URL that causes crashes: www.youtube.com ;-)

    My Firefox used to also lock up tight after a couple of youtube videos.
    I resorted to using Opera or Konqueror for it. Now that I've updated
    to 10.3 it doesn't seem to have that trouble anymore. Don't know if it
    was SUSE specific or the Mozilla folks fixed Firefox...

  19. Re: Does Firefox still crash on sites with flash??

    Chris Cox wrote:

    > On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 18:05 +0100, Marc wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I used to be using (Open)SuSE until about a year and a half ago, when I
    >> stepped over to Kubuntu because of a number of reasons (a.o. better
    >> support of my new laptop and the impossibility of getting Opensuse 10.1
    >> installed on it).
    >>
    >> Rather unfortunately there seems to be a serious problem in Kubuntu with
    >> Firefox crashing on pages with flash. Googling for it, I noticed this
    >> also appeared to be happening in SuSE 10.2 but I'm wondering if it still
    >> occurs in 10.3.
    >>
    >> Anyone able to answer that so I can possibly move back to Opensuse?

    > Flash works perfectly for me. You need to supply the URL of the
    > offending page that causes the problem.

    The problem does not necessarily cause Firefox to crash using Flash, it does
    crash if there is also a JavaScript command to open a new window (as many
    banks will have). It also occurs with 10.3 (started after some update in
    10.2). I wrote about the problem when I encountered it and also about the
    cure about a month or so ago on this newsgroup.

    A temporary fix (except you don't need it) would be to shut off JavaScript.
    To permanently fix the problem the /home/username/.mozilla directory may
    have to be removed and bookmarks and other files copied to the new one
    created once Firefox is launched.

    It is a KDE problem if I recall and affects more than just Firefox.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery