I have been using KDE around year 2000. Tried KDE 3.5 briefly last
year. I remember that KDE used to start a program called "autorun"
which would mount and try to play CD as soon as it was inserted. I
have not been using stick those days. "Autorun" is a sort of daemon
and does not need KDE to run.

Autofs is more UNIX way of doing things. Media is mounted when needed,
when corresponding inode (an element of file system) is accessed. Here
are my auto.master and auto.misc configuration files, if anyone
interested.

#
# $Id: auto.master,v 1.4 2005/01/04 14:36:54 raven Exp $
#
# Sample auto.master file
# This is an automounter map and it has the following format
# key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
# For details of the format look at autofs(5).
/misc /etc/auto.misc --timeout=5
#/smb /etc/auto.smb
#/misc /etc/auto.misc
#/net /etc/auto.net
#
# $Id: auto.misc,v 1.2 2003/09/29 08:22:35 raven Exp $
#
# This is an automounter map and it has the following format
# key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
# Details may be found in the autofs(5) manpage

cd -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom
stick -fstype=auto :/dev/sda1

# the following entries are samples to pique your imagination
#linux -ro,soft,intr ftp.example.org:/pub/linux
#boot -fstype=ext2 :/dev/hda1
#floppy -fstype=auto :/dev/fd0
#floppy -fstype=ext2 :/dev/fd0
#e2floppy -fstype=ext2 :/dev/fd0
#jaz -fstype=ext2 :/dev/sdc1
#removable -fstype=ext2 :/dev/hdd

I have symlinks:

/media/cd -> /misc/cd
/media/stick -> /misc/stick

There was a port of BSD AMD daemon for Linux, too.

DG