opensuse 10.3 installation hangs - Suse

This is a discussion on opensuse 10.3 installation hangs - Suse ; Hi, I'm doing a fresh install opensuse 10.3 on my laptop with mini boot cd (32bit version). Everything went ok until the installation begin. I got a couple pop-ups windows telling me that some package can't be installed because of ...

  1. opensuse 10.3 installation hangs

    Hi,
    I'm doing a fresh install opensuse 10.3 on my laptop with mini boot cd
    (32bit version). Everything went ok until the installation begin. I got
    a couple pop-ups windows telling me that some package can't be installed
    because of bad checksums, cpio problems, etc, etc. Nothing bad happen
    and usually I could just pressed retry or ignore, then the installation
    goes further. But just now I got another pop-ups windows telling me the
    same problems, I press retry and then it hangs, doing nothing. In
    /dev/tty2 I found a shell and doing "ps -u", I see this line "root 7677
    0.0 0.2 11108 8708 tty1 D+ 13:09 0:00 rpm --root /mnt --dbpath
    /var/lib/rpm -U --percent --force --nodeps --
    /mnt/var/tmp/AP_0x00000001/suse/i586/hplip-2.7.7-36.i586.rpm". From what
    I understand "D+" means that rpm is in uninterruptible sleep state. My
    question is how can I wake him up and tell him to finish his jobs?

    Thanks in advance,

    PS: I've been passed this option, "noapic nolapic acpi=off" to the
    kernel before the installation started, if that's relevant. Also my
    laptop has intel core 2 duo, sata disk, 3 gb mem.

  2. Re: opensuse 10.3 installation hangs

    Canned wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'm doing a fresh install opensuse 10.3 on my laptop with mini boot cd
    > (32bit version). Everything went ok until the installation begin. I
    > got a couple pop-ups windows telling me that some package can't be
    > installed because of bad checksums, cpio problems, etc, etc. Nothing
    > bad happen and usually I could just pressed retry or ignore, then the
    > installation goes further. But just now I got another pop-ups windows
    > telling me the same problems, I press retry and then it hangs, doing
    > nothing. In
    > /dev/tty2 I found a shell and doing "ps -u", I see this line "root
    > 7677
    > 0.0 0.2 11108 8708 tty1 D+ 13:09 0:00 rpm --root /mnt
    > --dbpath
    > /var/lib/rpm -U --percent --force --nodeps --
    > /mnt/var/tmp/AP_0x00000001/suse/i586/hplip-2.7.7-36.i586.rpm". From
    > what I understand "D+" means that rpm is in uninterruptible sleep
    > state. My question is how can I wake him up and tell him to finish his
    > jobs?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > PS: I've been passed this option, "noapic nolapic acpi=off" to the
    > kernel before the installation started, if that's relevant. Also my
    > laptop has intel core 2 duo, sata disk, 3 gb mem.

    You should run the media check/test. Many times this is a bad drive!

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  3. Re: opensuse 10.3 installation hangs

    Baron schreef:
    > Canned wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I'm doing a fresh install opensuse 10.3 on my laptop with mini boot cd
    >> (32bit version). Everything went ok until the installation begin. I
    >> got a couple pop-ups windows telling me that some package can't be
    >> installed because of bad checksums, cpio problems, etc, etc. Nothing
    >> bad happen and usually I could just pressed retry or ignore, then the
    >> installation goes further. But just now I got another pop-ups windows
    >> telling me the same problems, I press retry and then it hangs, doing
    >> nothing. In
    >> /dev/tty2 I found a shell and doing "ps -u", I see this line "root
    >> 7677
    >> 0.0 0.2 11108 8708 tty1 D+ 13:09 0:00 rpm --root /mnt
    >> --dbpath
    >> /var/lib/rpm -U --percent --force --nodeps --
    >> /mnt/var/tmp/AP_0x00000001/suse/i586/hplip-2.7.7-36.i586.rpm". From
    >> what I understand "D+" means that rpm is in uninterruptible sleep
    >> state. My question is how can I wake him up and tell him to finish his
    >> jobs?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> PS: I've been passed this option, "noapic nolapic acpi=off" to the
    >> kernel before the installation started, if that's relevant. Also my
    >> laptop has intel core 2 duo, sata disk, 3 gb mem.

    > You should run the media check/test. Many times this is a bad drive!

    I think that's not the problem, because I've installed my pc with the
    same cd I'm using on my laptop.
    Anyway, I found out that there is no way to waking/killing processes in
    'uninterruptible sleep' state. So I have to reboot and start the
    installation from the beginning

  4. Re: opensuse 10.3 installation hangs

    Canned wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm doing a fresh install opensuse 10.3 on my laptop with mini boot cd
    > (32bit version). Everything went ok until the installation begin. I got
    > a couple pop-ups windows telling me that some package can't be installed
    > because of bad checksums, cpio problems, etc, etc.

    You shouldn't receive those errors to begin with. Are you sure the CD
    image was downloaded and burned correctly?

    > In
    > /dev/tty2 I found a shell and doing "ps -u", I see this line "root 7677
    > 0.0 0.2 11108 8708 tty1 D+ 13:09 0:00 rpm --root /mnt --dbpath
    > /var/lib/rpm -U --percent --force --nodeps --
    > /mnt/var/tmp/AP_0x00000001/suse/i586/hplip-2.7.7-36.i586.rpm". From what
    > I understand "D+" means that rpm is in uninterruptible sleep state. My
    > question is how can I wake him up and tell him to finish his jobs?

    Other than nuke (kill -9), don't think so.

    > PS: I've been passed this option, "noapic nolapic acpi=off" to the
    > kernel before the installation started, if that's relevant. Also my
    > laptop has intel core 2 duo, sata disk, 3 gb mem.

    Don't think it's relevant, but was there a reason? It's a Core2 laptop,
    which means is recent and I don't think compatibility flags are needed,
    unless of course you tried without and the kernel wouldn't boot.

  5. Re: opensuse 10.3 installation hangs

    Nikos Chantziaras schreef:
    > Canned wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I'm doing a fresh install opensuse 10.3 on my laptop with mini boot cd
    >> (32bit version). Everything went ok until the installation begin. I got
    >> a couple pop-ups windows telling me that some package can't be installed
    >> because of bad checksums, cpio problems, etc, etc.

    > You shouldn't receive those errors to begin with. Are you sure the CD
    > image was downloaded and burned correctly?

    Yes, I've used this cd to install my pc.

    >> In
    >> /dev/tty2 I found a shell and doing "ps -u", I see this line "root 7677
    >> 0.0 0.2 11108 8708 tty1 D+ 13:09 0:00 rpm --root /mnt --dbpath
    >> /var/lib/rpm -U --percent --force --nodeps --
    >> /mnt/var/tmp/AP_0x00000001/suse/i586/hplip-2.7.7-36.i586.rpm". From what
    >> I understand "D+" means that rpm is in uninterruptible sleep state. My
    >> question is how can I wake him up and tell him to finish his jobs?

    > Other than nuke (kill -9), don't think so.

    I just figured it out that there is no way to kill that process other
    than reboot. Even SIGKILL wont work against uninterruptible sleep. (I
    just read it somewhere).

    >> PS: I've been passed this option, "noapic nolapic acpi=off" to the
    >> kernel before the installation started, if that's relevant. Also my
    >> laptop has intel core 2 duo, sata disk, 3 gb mem.

    > Don't think it's relevant, but was there a reason? It's a Core2 laptop,
    > which means is recent and I don't think compatibility flags are needed,
    > unless of course you tried without and the kernel wouldn't boot.

    For some reason, I got a black screen after loading the kernel if I dont
    pass the option to the kernel.

+ Reply to Thread