New Zypper package error - Suse

This is a discussion on New Zypper package error - Suse ; When I turned on my computer this afternoon, it told me that there was a patch waiting that would affect the patch downloader itself. It did. :-( Now, there is a yellow triangle where the green downloader should be, and ...

  1. New Zypper package error

    When I turned on my computer this afternoon, it told me that there was a
    patch waiting that would affect the patch downloader itself. It did. :-(

    Now, there is a yellow triangle where the green downloader should be,
    and clicking on it gives this message:

    Can't launch zypp-checkpatches-wrapper helper program. Make sure zypper
    package is installed and working.

    What happened, and what should I do about it?

    Thanks,

    Godzilla

  2. Re: New Zypper package error

    On Nov 16, 3:50 pm, Godzilla wrote:
    > When I turned on my computer this afternoon, it told me that there was a
    > patch waiting that would affect the patch downloader itself. It did. :-(
    >
    > Now, there is a yellow triangle where the green downloader should be,
    > and clicking on it gives this message:
    >
    > Can't launch zypp-checkpatches-wrapper helper program. Make sure zypper
    > package is installed and working.
    >
    > What happened, and what should I do about it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Godzilla

    You are not alone. I just posted about the similar problem that I just
    experienced.
    It looks like a bug while updating the Perl.

  3. Re: New Zypper package error

    Godzilla wrote:

    > When I turned on my computer this afternoon, it told me that there was a
    > patch waiting that would affect the patch downloader itself. It did. :-(
    >
    > Now, there is a yellow triangle where the green downloader should be,
    > and clicking on it gives this message:
    >
    > Can't launch zypp-checkpatches-wrapper helper program. Make sure zypper
    > package is installed and working.
    >
    > What happened, and what should I do about it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Godzilla

    I just update my 10.3 with the YaST2 updates and also have same problem and
    error. When I search for the libzypp.so.324 I don't find it. My system
    Language is English. Found lots of YaST options get the same error, under
    software, openline update, system software and others not under software.
    The display of the logs work.

    Not sure how to fix this since none of the software options in YaST work or
    I'd drop back to the previous version.

    Hope someone finds a way to fix this soon. I am able to use YaST on my 10.2
    system which has all the lastest updates as of this morning. Don't remember
    any YaST updates there.
    --
    Russ
    Registered Linux user #441463

  4. Re: New Zypper package error

    Godzilla wrote:

    > When I turned on my computer this afternoon, it told me that there was a
    > patch waiting that would affect the patch downloader itself. It did. :-(
    >
    > Now, there is a yellow triangle where the green downloader should be,
    > and clicking on it gives this message:
    >
    > Can't launch zypp-checkpatches-wrapper helper program. Make sure zypper
    > package is installed and working.
    >
    > What happened, and what should I do about it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Godzilla

    additional infomation: This is whats in my plugin directory for Perl.

    error loading language plugin /usr/lib/YaST2/plugin/lib2Lang_perl.so:
    libzypp.so.324: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
    No such client module sw_single

    Run 'yast2 -h" for help on usage.

    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 2007-11-02 05:20 libpy2lang_perl.so ->
    libpy2lang
    _perl.so.2.0.0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 2007-11-02 05:20 libpy2lang_perl.so.2 ->
    libpy2la
    ng_perl.so.2.0.0
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 133940 2007-09-25 13:05 libpy2lang_perl.so.2.0.0
    sw_single
    --
    Russ
    Registered Linux user #441463

  5. Re: New Zypper package error

    Godzilla wrote:

    > When I turned on my computer this afternoon, it told me that there was a
    > patch waiting that would affect the patch downloader itself. It did. :-(
    >
    > Now, there is a yellow triangle where the green downloader should be,
    > and clicking on it gives this message:
    >
    > Can't launch zypp-checkpatches-wrapper helper program. Make sure zypper
    > package is installed and working.
    >
    > What happened, and what should I do about it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Godzilla

    Have you seen the post from akarui.tomodachi. The fix suggested by
    rivenought worked fine for me.
    --
    Russ
    Registered Linux user #441463

  6. Re: New Zypper package error

    akarui.tomodachi@gmail.com wrote:

    > On Nov 16, 3:50 pm, Godzilla wrote:
    >> When I turned on my computer this afternoon, it told me that there was a
    >> patch waiting that would affect the patch downloader itself. It did. :-(
    >>
    >> Now, there is a yellow triangle where the green downloader should be,
    >> and clicking on it gives this message:
    >>
    >> Can't launch zypp-checkpatches-wrapper helper program. Make sure zypper
    >> package is installed and working.
    >>
    >> What happened, and what should I do about it?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Godzilla

    > You are not alone. I just posted about the similar problem that I just
    > experienced.
    > It looks like a bug while updating the Perl.

    I tried the solution posted in this thread, and it only gave a slew of
    dependency errors. Now, YAST just hangs when I attempt to enter any of the
    modules that have to do with software, including putting the original DVD
    in to see if a repair can be done from that source.

    Godzilla

  7. Re: New Zypper package error

    Godzilla wrote:

    > akarui.tomodachi@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> On Nov 16, 3:50 pm, Godzilla wrote:
    >>> When I turned on my computer this afternoon, it told me that there was a
    >>> patch waiting that would affect the patch downloader itself. It did. :-(
    >>>
    >>> Now, there is a yellow triangle where the green downloader should be,
    >>> and clicking on it gives this message:
    >>>
    >>> Can't launch zypp-checkpatches-wrapper helper program. Make sure zypper
    >>> package is installed and working.
    >>>
    >>> What happened, and what should I do about it?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Godzilla

    >> You are not alone. I just posted about the similar problem that I just
    >> experienced.
    >> It looks like a bug while updating the Perl.

    > I tried the solution posted in this thread, and it only gave a slew of
    > dependency errors. Now, YAST just hangs when I attempt to enter any of the
    > modules that have to do with software, including putting the original DVD
    > in to see if a repair can be done from that source.
    >
    > Godzilla

    After turning on my brain, I realized that I had downloaded and attempted to
    install the wrong versions of the rpm's. I went back and downloaded the 64
    bit versions instead of the 32 bit ones. Then, I simply followed the
    instructions and the openSUSE updater appears to be back to normal.
    However, it is once again nagging that I have two updates available:
    libzypp and zypper. Those updates must be the ones that caused the problem
    in the first place. I shall just ignore them until one of the experts on
    this group tells me to do otherwise. It would be nice to be able to just
    remove updates that are not wanted, but that has been discussed before.

    Thank you so much for your help rivenought.

    Godzilla

  8. Re: New Zypper package error

    Godzilla wrote:

    > After turning on my brain, I realized that I had downloaded and attempted to
    > install the wrong versions of the rpm's. I went back and downloaded the 64
    > bit versions instead of the 32 bit ones. Then, I simply followed the
    > instructions and the openSUSE updater appears to be back to normal.
    > However, it is once again nagging that I have two updates available:
    > libzypp and zypper. Those updates must be the ones that caused the problem
    > in the first place. I shall just ignore them until one of the experts on
    > this group tells me to do otherwise. It would be nice to be able to just
    > remove updates that are not wanted, but that has been discussed before.
    >
    > Thank you so much for your help rivenought.
    >
    > Godzilla

    From what I can gather, the only problem was the Boost 1.33.1-108.2
    package. That was the killer update. Right after I got everything
    figured out and back on track, I was also skeptical of the other
    updates, but I did them, as well as the update to the updater. I am
    running just fine, and I cannot see any negative aftereffects. The
    Boost update has been removed from the updater. I have run all of the
    latest updates and everything seems to be back to normal. I am glad I
    could be of some help since I have learned quite a bit reading all of
    these threads for so long and am happy to share something in return.

  9. Re: New Zypper package error

    Godzilla wrote:
    > However, it is once again nagging that I have two updates available:
    > libzypp and zypper. Those updates must be the ones that caused the problem
    > in the first place. I shall just ignore them until one of the experts on
    > this group tells me to do otherwise. It would be nice to be able to just
    > remove updates that are not wanted, but that has been discussed before.

    It is safe to update now (I just did so).

  10. Re: New Zypper package error

    rivenought schrieb:
    > From what I can gather, the only problem was the Boost 1.33.1-108.2
    > package. That was the killer update. Right after I got everything
    > figured out and back on track, I was also skeptical of the other
    > updates, but I did them, as well as the update to the updater. I am
    > running just fine, and I cannot see any negative aftereffects. The
    > Boost update has been removed from the updater. I have run all of the
    > latest updates and everything seems to be back to normal.

    As I am quite a novice to the interior workings of linux and anxious not
    to jeopardize my 10.2 by upgrading to 10.3 I would like to ask you for a
    clarification: What does

    Boost update has been removed from the updater

    mean? Did you remove that file in _your_ system or became
    SUSE aware of the problem and fixed it so that one can update again
    without fearing any negative after effects? By the way: have there been
    similar problems, i.de. causing problems instead of fixing them, with
    other 10.3 updates in the past?

    A. Mehl
    --
    Albrecht Mehl |Absendekonto wird nicht gelesen; eBriefe an:
    Schorlemmerstr. 33 |mehl bei hrz1PunkthrzPunkttu-darmstadtPunktde

  11. Re: New Zypper package error

    Albrecht Mehl wrote:
    > rivenought schrieb:
    >> From what I can gather, the only problem was the Boost 1.33.1-108.2
    >> package. That was the killer update. Right after I got everything
    >> figured out and back on track, I was also skeptical of the other
    >> updates, but I did them, as well as the update to the updater. I am
    >> running just fine, and I cannot see any negative aftereffects. The
    >> Boost update has been removed from the updater. I have run all of the
    >> latest updates and everything seems to be back to normal.

    > As I am quite a novice to the interior workings of linux and anxious not
    > to jeopardize my 10.2 by upgrading to 10.3 I would like to ask you for a
    > clarification: What does
    >
    > Boost update has been removed from the updater
    >
    > mean? Did you remove that file in _your_ system or became
    > SUSE aware of the problem and fixed it so that one can update again
    > without fearing any negative after effects?

    It means it's safe to update now. The broken package has been removed
    from the openSUSE server itself.

    > By the way: have there been
    > similar problems, i.de. causing problems instead of fixing them, with
    > other 10.3 updates in the past?

    Not any I'm aware of. If yes, they were probably fewer than for
    10.1/10.2 since 10.3 is newer and didn't have too many updates yet :P

+ Reply to Thread