Beagle ate my machine... - Suse

This is a discussion on Beagle ate my machine... - Suse ; Subject line says it all. When I turn on any of my machines running 10.2 or 10.3, beagle consumes a huge number of memory cycles. The annoying part is that usually when I turn the machine on it is because ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Beagle ate my machine...

  1. Beagle ate my machine...

    Subject line says it all. When I turn on any of
    my machines running 10.2 or 10.3, beagle consumes
    a huge number of memory cycles.

    The annoying part is that usually when I turn the
    machine on it is because I need to do something.
    But the machine is crawling because of Beagle.

    Getting tired of having to kill it manually, I
    ended up deleting it from every machine I've got.

    I've had no problems since.

    If I were designing such a tool, I'd write it to
    run only when a heuristic tells it that the machine
    is idle. And I'd suspend it the moment serious
    activity is detected.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  2. Re: Beagle ate my machine...

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > Subject line says it all. When I turn on any of
    > my machines running 10.2 or 10.3, beagle consumes
    > a huge number of memory cycles.
    >
    > The annoying part is that usually when I turn the
    > machine on it is because I need to do something.
    > But the machine is crawling because of Beagle.
    >
    > Getting tired of having to kill it manually, I
    > ended up deleting it from every machine I've got.
    >
    > I've had no problems since.
    >
    > If I were designing such a tool, I'd write it to
    > run only when a heuristic tells it that the machine
    > is idle. And I'd suspend it the moment serious
    > activity is detected.
    >

    It is a desktop search tool for you computers file system. It spends all
    that cpu power keeping track of all the file in the file system so
    searches are faster. That is one Windows feature I think they should
    have left out. Don't need Suse becoming bloatware like Windows has.

  3. Re: Beagle ate my machine...

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > Subject line says it all. When I turn on any of
    > my machines running 10.2 or 10.3, beagle consumes
    > a huge number of memory cycles.
    >
    > The annoying part is that usually when I turn the
    > machine on it is because I need to do something.
    > But the machine is crawling because of Beagle.
    >
    > Getting tired of having to kill it manually, I
    > ended up deleting it from every machine I've got.
    >
    > I've had no problems since.
    >
    > If I were designing such a tool, I'd write it to
    > run only when a heuristic tells it that the machine
    > is idle. And I'd suspend it the moment serious
    > activity is detected.


    Did you know that Beagle is a .NET program? (Runs in the Mono virtual
    machine.) That says it all, IMO. It's the first thing I deselect when
    I install a new openSUSE version.

    It's sad that the .NET nonsense managed to get in openSUSE

  4. Re: Beagle ate my machine...

    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > Subject line says it all. When I turn on any of
    > my machines running 10.2 or 10.3, beagle consumes
    > a huge number of memory cycles.
    >
    > The annoying part is that usually when I turn the
    > machine on it is because I need to do something.
    > But the machine is crawling because of Beagle.
    >
    > Getting tired of having to kill it manually, I
    > ended up deleting it from every machine I've got.
    >
    > I've had no problems since.
    >
    > If I were designing such a tool, I'd write it to
    > run only when a heuristic tells it that the machine
    > is idle. And I'd suspend it the moment serious
    > activity is detected.
    >


    Beagle and its related Kerry are the first things I delete and taboo when
    upgrading. I found when installing OpenSuse 10.3 even though I deselected
    beagle it was installed anyway. But the little icon is cute although I
    might be prejudiced because I had a couple of pet beagles when I was a kid.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  5. Re: Beagle ate my machine...

    On Nov 15, 10:04 pm, Paul J Gans wrote:
    > Subject line says it all. When I turn on any of
    > my machines running 10.2 or 10.3, beagle consumes
    > a huge number of memory cycles.
    >
    > The annoying part is that usually when I turn the
    > machine on it is because I need to do something.
    > But the machine is crawling because of Beagle.
    >
    > Getting tired of having to kill it manually, I
    > ended up deleting it from every machine I've got.
    >
    > I've had no problems since.
    >
    > If I were designing such a tool, I'd write it to
    > run only when a heuristic tells it that the machine
    > is idle. And I'd suspend it the moment serious
    > activity is detected.
    >
    > --
    > --- Paul J. Gans



    I know, it is annoying - but it is in your power to delete it, isn't
    it? Then maybe that is precisely what you ought to do - just delete
    beagle and kerry, and save your self all those CPU cycles.

  6. Re: Beagle ate my machine...

    houghi wrote:
    > borepstein@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I know, it is annoying - but it is in your power to delete it, isn't
    >> it? Then maybe that is precisely what you ought to do - just delete
    >> beagle and kerry, and save your self all those CPU cycles.

    >
    > If CPU cycles are importand, don't run KDE or GNOME. They are evil. >:-)


    But KDE and Gnome are useful. Beagle isn't... ;D

  7. Re: Beagle ate my machine...

    Vance Howard wrote:
    >Paul J Gans wrote:
    >> Subject line says it all. When I turn on any of
    >> my machines running 10.2 or 10.3, beagle consumes
    >> a huge number of memory cycles.
    >>
    >> The annoying part is that usually when I turn the
    >> machine on it is because I need to do something.
    >> But the machine is crawling because of Beagle.
    >>
    >> Getting tired of having to kill it manually, I
    >> ended up deleting it from every machine I've got.
    >>
    >> I've had no problems since.
    >>
    >> If I were designing such a tool, I'd write it to
    >> run only when a heuristic tells it that the machine
    >> is idle. And I'd suspend it the moment serious
    >> activity is detected.
    >>

    >It is a desktop search tool for you computers file system. It spends all
    >that cpu power keeping track of all the file in the file system so
    >searches are faster. That is one Windows feature I think they should
    >have left out. Don't need Suse becoming bloatware like Windows has.


    Oh, I know what it does. But consider the irony. I'm doing
    a new CD installation and need to download stuff from the
    repositories. But the entire process is glacially slow. So
    I pop open another window and run "top", to discover that my
    CPU usage is about 3.4 (old 1.6 Ghz machine) and "beagle" is using
    94% of my CPU time.

    Beagle died right then.

    The remainder of the setup went quickly.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  8. Re: Beagle ate my machine...

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >Paul J Gans wrote:
    >> Subject line says it all. When I turn on any of
    >> my machines running 10.2 or 10.3, beagle consumes
    >> a huge number of memory cycles.
    >>
    >> The annoying part is that usually when I turn the
    >> machine on it is because I need to do something.
    >> But the machine is crawling because of Beagle.
    >>
    >> Getting tired of having to kill it manually, I
    >> ended up deleting it from every machine I've got.
    >>
    >> I've had no problems since.
    >>
    >> If I were designing such a tool, I'd write it to
    >> run only when a heuristic tells it that the machine
    >> is idle. And I'd suspend it the moment serious
    >> activity is detected.


    >Did you know that Beagle is a .NET program? (Runs in the Mono virtual
    >machine.) That says it all, IMO. It's the first thing I deselect when
    >I install a new openSUSE version.


    >It's sad that the .NET nonsense managed to get in openSUSE


    I agree. But this was an install from the LiveCD. There's
    not much on it, so most of the installation is done via the
    internet and you DON'T get any choices there. That's fine.
    I appreciate the CD.

    By the way, that's how I started in on the USB stick error.
    My other installs were from the boxed set. And for years
    I've been selecting runlevel 3 on setup. So of course
    my USB sticks didn't work.

    With the LiveCD I had no choice and runlevel 5 was chosen
    automatically and voila! The USB sticks worked.

    Of course now in retrospect it all seems so clear and simple...

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  9. Re: Beagle ate my machine...

    Darrell Stec wrote:
    >Paul J Gans wrote:


    >> Subject line says it all. When I turn on any of
    >> my machines running 10.2 or 10.3, beagle consumes
    >> a huge number of memory cycles.
    >>
    >> The annoying part is that usually when I turn the
    >> machine on it is because I need to do something.
    >> But the machine is crawling because of Beagle.
    >>
    >> Getting tired of having to kill it manually, I
    >> ended up deleting it from every machine I've got.
    >>
    >> I've had no problems since.
    >>
    >> If I were designing such a tool, I'd write it to
    >> run only when a heuristic tells it that the machine
    >> is idle. And I'd suspend it the moment serious
    >> activity is detected.
    >>


    >Beagle and its related Kerry are the first things I delete and taboo when
    >upgrading. I found when installing OpenSuse 10.3 even though I deselected
    >beagle it was installed anyway. But the little icon is cute although I
    >might be prejudiced because I had a couple of pet beagles when I was a kid.


    Yeah. I've noticed on other machines that Beagle is installed
    anyway, even if deselected. I wanted to run "strings" on the
    binary so that I could see the Microsoft copyright in it, but
    I didn't have the time.... ;-)

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  10. Re: Beagle ate my machine...

    borepstein@gmail.com wrote:
    >On Nov 15, 10:04 pm, Paul J Gans wrote:
    >> Subject line says it all. When I turn on any of
    >> my machines running 10.2 or 10.3, beagle consumes
    >> a huge number of memory cycles.
    >>
    >> The annoying part is that usually when I turn the
    >> machine on it is because I need to do something.
    >> But the machine is crawling because of Beagle.
    >>
    >> Getting tired of having to kill it manually, I
    >> ended up deleting it from every machine I've got.
    >>
    >> I've had no problems since.
    >>
    >> If I were designing such a tool, I'd write it to
    >> run only when a heuristic tells it that the machine
    >> is idle. And I'd suspend it the moment serious
    >> activity is detected.
    >>
    >> --
    >> --- Paul J. Gans



    >I know, it is annoying - but it is in your power to delete it, isn't
    >it? Then maybe that is precisely what you ought to do - just delete
    >beagle and kerry, and save your self all those CPU cycles.


    Yes. And as it says right up there in the post, I not only
    killed it, but deleted it from my machine(s) as well. In
    its death throes beagle said that if it died, kerry wouldn't
    run. So I put kerry out of its misery too.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  11. Re: Beagle ate my machine...

    houghi wrote:
    > So this is what you killed:
    > http://tinyurl.com/34o9d4 or http://www.hundund.de/rassen/kerry-beagle/
    >
    > I must say when I was looking for it, I found some other puppies as well
    > http://tinyurl.com/39g3su
    >
    > Log live the Internets.


    http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/7...otkerrylh0.jpg

  12. Re: Beagle ate my machine...

    houghi wrote:

    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> Did you know that Beagle is a .NET program? (Runs in the Mono virtual
    >> machine.) That says it all, IMO. It's the first thing I deselect when
    >> I install a new openSUSE version.
    >>
    >> It's sad that the .NET nonsense managed to get in openSUSE

    >
    > Unfortunatly the majority of the people like beagle. Yet the advantage
    > is that if you so desire, YOU decide what runs and what not.
    >
    > houghi


    Fair enough, but you first have to work out what the problem is. That's OK
    if you have been using SUSE for a while and read this newsgroup, but could
    be pretty offputting for someone new to SUSE or Linux.

    Chris Gordon-Smith
    London
    www.simsoup.info

  13. Re: Beagle ate my machine...

    Paul J Gans a écrit :

    > If I were designing such a tool, I'd write it to
    > run only when a heuristic tells it that the machine
    > is idle. And I'd suspend it the moment serious
    > activity is detected.


    Looks like it is the case : beagled has a priority of 39, if I remember
    it well, and seems to be starting only after a given amount of time.

    Perhaps it is slow to give hand back if there are a lot of NCQ commands
    pending on SATA drivers ?

    If the answer is yes, it is probably related to a priority handling
    decision in the kernel. I never understood why the keyboard user input
    has such a bad priority on Linux. A long time ago, back in school, we
    learned that the slowest the device, the highest its priority should be.
    Console first, card reader (yes ! ;-) ) next, and disk last. I am sure
    however that Linux developers know that pretty well too, so I guess
    there is something else somewhere :-/

  14. Re: Beagle ate my machine...

    Chris Gordon-Smith wrote:
    >houghi wrote:


    >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >>> Did you know that Beagle is a .NET program? (Runs in the Mono virtual
    >>> machine.) That says it all, IMO. It's the first thing I deselect when
    >>> I install a new openSUSE version.
    >>>
    >>> It's sad that the .NET nonsense managed to get in openSUSE

    >>
    >> Unfortunatly the majority of the people like beagle. Yet the advantage
    >> is that if you so desire, YOU decide what runs and what not.
    >>
    >> houghi


    >Fair enough, but you first have to work out what the problem is. That's OK
    >if you have been using SUSE for a while and read this newsgroup, but could
    >be pretty offputting for someone new to SUSE or Linux.


    The odds of a newbie figuring out why his or her machine was
    simply crawling are very small.

    It is one of the most horrible things about Windows. I have to
    use it for some jobs. So I turn it on to do one simple thing and
    I'm innundated by popups reminding me that my machine is not
    protected by a spam filter (it is, but not one Microsoft will
    recognize), that the monthly fixes for the horrible operating
    system need to be downloaded NOW, and that there are other
    updates available. Then come the "You have unused icons on
    your desktop" popups (what business is it of theirs?) followed
    by the horde of programs calling home.

    Turning on 10.3 is starting to become somewhat similar. I
    don't like it at all.

    Perhaps it is time to look at a more bare bones distribution?

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  15. Re: Beagle ate my machine...

    houghi wrote:
    >Chris Gordon-Smith wrote:
    >> Fair enough, but you first have to work out what the problem is. That's OK
    >> if you have been using SUSE for a while and read this newsgroup, but could
    >> be pretty offputting for someone new to SUSE or Linux.


    >That is always the case. Many people want apparently something like
    >beagle. So either you have people who complain that is IS running, or
    >you have people who complain that it is NOT running.
    >Damned if you do and damned if you don't.


    >Probably many people have a solution, so haul over to the factory
    >mailinglist and give them your solution.


    At some point the factory people have to get a clue. When
    I turn on my machine, it is because *I* want to run it. I
    do not want fascistic programs taking over my machine without
    even asking.

    If the factory people want to include beagle, let them spend
    five minutes fixing it so that it doesn't run when the machine
    load factor is something over 0.4. Or, even more simple, nice
    it down to where I don't notice it. Neither of those is
    rocket science.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  16. Re: Beagle ate my machine...

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > Perhaps it is time to look at a more bare bones distribution?


    Or perhaps it is time to look what openSUSE is and that is a community
    distribution, where you can have impact on what is and what is not
    implemented.

    houghi
    --
    If God doesn't destroy Hollywood Boulevard, he owes Sodom and
    Gomorrah an apology.

  17. Re: Beagle ate my machine...

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > At some point the factory people have to get a clue.


    I agree. So please give them that clue. Here they are not hearing you.

    > When I turn on my machine, it is because *I* want to run it. I do not
    > want fascistic programs taking over my machine without even asking.


    So what did the factory people told you when you pointed this out?

    > If the factory people want to include beagle, let them spend
    > five minutes fixing it so that it doesn't run when the machine
    > load factor is something over 0.4. Or, even more simple, nice
    > it down to where I don't notice it. Neither of those is
    > rocket science.


    Hey, it is Open Source, so fix it already. Take the 5 minutes it needs
    and fix it. It is very easy to complain, but if you think it is an
    issue, fix it. If you say it only takes 5 minutes, fix it. If you are
    unable technicaly to do it, tell them to take 5 minutes to fix it.

    I will help you a bit so that you can start solving the problem, or
    helping testing: http://tinyurl.com/2nwuao

    The first thing you can do is e.g. look up what bugs are the same as
    others. Next you can make your ideas heard there or on the factory
    mailinglist.

    It is an interesting read where both problems and solutions are given.
    While we were here moaning how slow it is, others are actualy doing
    someting about it. ;-)

    One thing I found was the URL
    http://beagle-project.org/Troubleshooting_CPU

    houghi
    --
    If God doesn't destroy Hollywood Boulevard, he owes Sodom and
    Gomorrah an apology.

  18. Re: Beagle ate my machine...

    Paul J Gans in :


    > Beagle ate my machine...


    No Beagle here ...

    #rpm -e beaglepackages!


    P.

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  19. Re: Beagle ate my machine...

    Nikos Chantziaras in :

    > http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/7...otkerrylh0.jpg


    Thats not funny at all ...

    P.

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  20. Re: Beagle ate my machine...

    Peter Terpstra wrote:
    >Paul J Gans in :



    >> Beagle ate my machine...


    >No Beagle here ...


    >#rpm -e beaglepackages!


    There's no beagle here either. Package management complained
    a bit but finally did my bidding.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast