Sounds like a permissions or security issue.

I don't know what level of samba setup automation there is in later SuSE
distros. One thing you have to do though is create an encrypted
password. Have a look at the usage of smbpasswd and set it up.

You may be accessing the samba shares as a guest or anonymous user. You
were no doubt prompted for a username/password when you tried to access
the share? If not or you used wrong credentials you may not be logged in
as a valid user. (This does of course depend on how smb.conf is configured)

Access permissions are a function of parameters in your smb.conf and
those of the Linux filesystem. ie if you login as a regular user under
Linux you can change/write etc anywhere in your home directory but
generally only read elsewhere. The same roughly applies to the samba
setup and the remote client when accessing your Linux box.

Bob