map network drive - Suse

This is a discussion on map network drive - Suse ; Is it possible to map a folder in OpenSUSE 10.3 to a drive letter in Windows XP? If so, how is this done? I am very new to linux, but not to windows....

  1. map network drive

    Is it possible to map a folder in OpenSUSE 10.3 to a drive letter in Windows
    XP? If so, how is this done? I am very new to linux, but not to windows.

  2. Re: map network drive

    Sebastian wrote:
    > Is it possible to map a folder in OpenSUSE 10.3 to a drive letter in Windows
    > XP? If so, how is this done? I am very new to linux, but not to windows.

    Yes, the keyword is samba.

    kind regards,
    Andreas

  3. Re: map network drive

    Hi Andreas

    Strictly speaking mapping is a client function that more or less says
    that a specific drive letter is equal to a "server" share name.

    I am sure you have created a share on a Windows machine. You can then
    see that share as an item in "Network Places". (Note that by default a
    WXP machine firewall will make using that share initially problematic!)

    The same kind of facility to create shares is available under Linux.
    That is roughly speaking what samba does. It creates SMB/CIFS services
    not unlike Windows server equipment.

    Get samba running and have a look at its shares through "Network
    Places". You can then map a drive letter to it.

    The above is of course somewhat simplistic. If you want further setup
    etc help pls ask.

    Cheers Bob

    Sebastian wrote:
    > Is it possible to map a folder in OpenSUSE 10.3 to a drive letter in Windows
    > XP? If so, how is this done? I am very new to linux, but not to windows.

+ Reply to Thread