Cloning - Suse

This is a discussion on Cloning - Suse ; What does 'Clone system for autoyast' do for me during installation?...

  1. Cloning

    What does 'Clone system for autoyast' do for me during installation?

  2. Re: Cloning

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Broderick Crawford ililililil wrote:-

    >What does 'Clone system for autoyast' do for me during installation?

    It creates a control file for autoyast so that you can clone the system.
    For a normal user, it's probably not much use, unless at some point in
    time you have a hard drive crash and/or just want to revert to the point
    of having freshly installed the system.

    For corporate users, or those installing on multiple systems, it makes
    it much easier to make sure the systems have an identical installation.
    Also, using autoyast to perform the installation could possibly be
    quicker than using something that creates and restores drive images.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
    SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
    RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

  3. Re: Cloning

    David Bolt wrote:
    > For corporate users, or those installing on multiple systems, it makes
    > it much easier to make sure the systems have an identical installation.

    It is a similar installation. Identical would be using e.g. images. The
    advantage of using YaST over images is that even if you have different
    PC's (e.g. portables, Dells, HPs, different amount of HD, memory,
    graphic card) it will try to install as much the same software as
    possible.

    However this can change due to hardware specifications. e.g. if your HD
    is not big enough, it will pick some software NOT to install. You could
    have a different videocard or even mouse. That will be coverd as well.

    So if you have identical systems, a immage might be more interesting. If
    you have systems that you want to behave the same, but are different in
    hardware, then the YaST way will be best.

    houghi
    --
    > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <

+ Reply to Thread