Which version? - Suse

This is a discussion on Which version? - Suse ; My computers are dated - I have a P3/500 laptop (384Mb RAM) and P3/750 desktop (768Mb RAM). I last used SuSE at version 8 and I'd welcome comments on whether the current/recent releases will run reasonably on old hardware. I ...

  1. Which version?

    My computers are dated - I have a P3/500 laptop (384Mb RAM) and
    P3/750 desktop (768Mb RAM). I last used SuSE at version 8 and I'd
    welcome comments on whether the current/recent releases will run
    reasonably on old hardware.

    I don't use gaming or heavy duty video effects, just browsing and
    normal office type stuff. I would like to be able to run VMWare
    workstation for some Windows CAD stuff I can't avoid.

    Thanks

    Steve

  2. Re: Which version?

    Steve wrote:

    > My computers are dated - I have a P3/500 laptop (384Mb RAM) and
    > P3/750 desktop (768Mb RAM). I last used SuSE at version 8 and I'd
    > welcome comments on whether the current/recent releases will run
    > reasonably on old hardware.
    >
    > I don't use gaming or heavy duty video effects, just browsing and
    > normal office type stuff. I would like to be able to run VMWare
    > workstation for some Windows CAD stuff I can't avoid.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Steve

    I wouldn't install any suse 10.X on this hardware. Perhaps a very
    light-weight graphics shell (so not kde/gnome) is possible with these
    versions, which is not an improvement for you. Perhaps a suse 9.2 or 9.3
    could work on the P3/750 with a reasonable response.
    If you also start vmware with a windows OS you're out of luck anyway. This
    will not work on any of these machines. You call linux +
    vmware/windows 'not heavy duty'?
    Taco

  3. Re: Which version?

    Steve wrote:

    > My computers are dated - I have a P3/500 laptop (384Mb RAM) and
    > P3/750 desktop (768Mb RAM). I last used SuSE at version 8 and I'd
    > welcome comments on whether the current/recent releases will run
    > reasonably on old hardware.
    >
    > I don't use gaming or heavy duty video effects, just browsing and
    > normal office type stuff. I would like to be able to run VMWare
    > workstation for some Windows CAD stuff I can't avoid.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Steve

    I have OpenSuse 10.3 running fine on one of my (mini)network machines
    similar to yours (except I would never own a Pentium machine with its
    built-in backdoor. It works just fine but a bit slower than my newer HP
    with 1GB of RAM and a 3.4GHz AMD. I use to have SUSE 9.3 running on a
    (gasp) Pentium 200MHz MMX machine but have no place to set it up anymore,
    or I would try installing a minimal version of 10.3 on it.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  4. Re: Which version?

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:54:41 +0100, taco wrote:

    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >> My computers are dated - I have a P3/500 laptop (384Mb RAM) and
    >> P3/750 desktop (768Mb RAM). I last used SuSE at version 8 and I'd
    >> welcome comments on whether the current/recent releases will run
    >> reasonably on old hardware.
    >>
    >> I don't use gaming or heavy duty video effects, just browsing and
    >> normal office type stuff. I would like to be able to run VMWare
    >> workstation for some Windows CAD stuff I can't avoid.
    >>

    > I wouldn't install any suse 10.X on this hardware.

    Steve wants to know whether it will work for him, not what you would do :-)

    I have a PIII 600MHz, with 384MB running Slackware 12 with KDE and it's
    absolutely fine, smooth and usable and not noticeably slow. It does
    everyday tasks just fine. Building OpenOffice isn't all that quick, I
    admit.

    The machine next to that one is a PIII 1GHz with 512MB, it runs openSuse
    10.3 without any issues or complaints at all, and if this was my only
    machine I wouldn't desperately feel the need for anything else.

    > Perhaps a very
    > light-weight graphics shell (so not kde/gnome) is possible with these
    > versions, which is not an improvement for you. Perhaps a suse 9.2 or 9.3
    > could work on the P3/750 with a reasonable response.

    See above. KDE is not that bad.

    A better way to save memory and power is to disable any non-essential
    services. Daemons eat memory and clock cycles.

    > If you also start vmware with a windows OS you're out of luck anyway. This
    > will not work on any of these machines. You call linux +
    > vmware/windows 'not heavy duty'?

    Here we're totally agreed. Virtual machines are hard work for most
    hardware, for this use one needs all the memory and power one can get.

  5. Re: Which version?

    taco wrote:
    > I wouldn't install any suse 10.X on this hardware. Perhaps a very
    > light-weight graphics shell (so not kde/gnome) is possible with these
    > versions, which is not an improvement for you.

    No KDE/GNOME is an improvement for everybody. Just don't use it and you
    can still run all the programs you desire. And who needs more then
    vi/mutt/slrn/lynx anyway.

    houghi
    --
    You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
    sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of

  6. Re: Which version?

    Steve wrote:
    > My computers are dated - I have a P3/500 laptop (384Mb RAM) and P3/750
    > desktop (768Mb RAM). I last used SuSE at version 8 and I'd welcome
    > comments on whether the current/recent releases will run reasonably on
    > old hardware.
    >
    > I don't use gaming or heavy duty video effects, just browsing and normal
    > office type stuff. I would like to be able to run VMWare workstation for
    > some Windows CAD stuff I can't avoid.

    VMware might be possible, but keep in mind that you will be running two
    operating systems at the same time on the same machine. 768MB RAM should
    do it, but don't expect high speeds and there will probably be some
    swapping (in the host, the guest or probably even both).

    As for the version, you can go for 10.3 alright, but you probably will
    get a fast desktop only with Xfce (which looks really, really awesome,
    btw, but has less support than the "Big Two").

  7. Re: Which version?

    Steve wrote:
    > My computers are dated - I have a P3/500 laptop (384Mb RAM) and P3/750
    > desktop (768Mb RAM). I last used SuSE at version 8 and I'd welcome
    > comments on whether the current/recent releases will run reasonably on
    > old hardware.
    >
    > I don't use gaming or heavy duty video effects, just browsing and normal
    > office type stuff. I would like to be able to run VMWare workstation for
    > some Windows CAD stuff I can't avoid.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Steve

    I have 10.3 /KDE running on a PIII/933 with 512MB of ram. No problems
    here at all...pretty snappy performance....runs everything I ask of it.
    I did have vmware running on this same machine with 10.0 and KDE
    running on it. I decided to take the plunge and try out 10.3 on the
    machine since 10.0's support ends at the end of this month. I have not
    be disappointed in anyway whatsoever. I have not reinstalled vmware,
    simply because I have not gotten around to it yet.

    Jim

  8. Re: Which version?

    houghi wrote:

    > taco wrote:
    >> I wouldn't install any suse 10.X on this hardware. Perhaps a very
    >> light-weight graphics shell (so not kde/gnome) is possible with these
    >> versions, which is not an improvement for you.

    > No KDE/GNOME is an improvement for everybody. Just don't use it and you
    > can still run all the programs you desire. And who needs more then
    > vi/mutt/slrn/lynx anyway.
    >
    > houghi

    I do. Customers are just not impressed with the results of Lynx on their
    brand new websites and without graphical browsers, I won't know how they
    look. Using the aforementioned programs is what one would get when a blind
    man paints a masterpiece.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  9. Re: Which version?

    houghi wrote:
    > Darrell Stec wrote:
    >> I do. Customers are just not impressed with the results of Lynx on their
    >> brand new websites and without graphical browsers, I won't know how they
    >> look. Using the aforementioned programs is what one would get when a blind
    >> man paints a masterpiece.

    > Tell them they are idiots and websies should be about content, not
    > layout.

    "The customer is always right"

  10. Re: Which version?

    houghi wrote:

    > Darrell Stec wrote:
    >> I do. Customers are just not impressed with the results of Lynx on their
    >> brand new websites and without graphical browsers, I won't know how they
    >> look. Using the aforementioned programs is what one would get when a
    >> blind man paints a masterpiece.

    > Tell them they are idiots and websies should be about content, not
    > layout. Something like http://www.lisafittipaldi.com/ for example. (Hey,
    > you started talking about blind people painting, not me)
    >
    > If they do not like it, tell them they are bad customers and you do not
    > want to work with them. Principle is much more importand then paying
    > rent or buying food.
    >
    > If they complain that they can not see the pictures:
    > http://csl.sublevel3.org/jp2a/ or any other of those programs.
    >
    > Movies can be seen in ascii as well with mplayer.

    It lacks color. And its no wonder as blind people see in black and black.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  11. Re: Which version?

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 01:45:55 -0600, Jim Jones wrote:

    > Steve wrote:
    >> My computers are dated - I have a P3/500 laptop (384Mb RAM) and P3/750
    >> desktop (768Mb RAM). I last used SuSE at version 8 and I'd welcome
    >> comments on whether the current/recent releases will run reasonably on
    >> old hardware.
    >>
    >> I don't use gaming or heavy duty video effects, just browsing and normal
    >> office type stuff. I would like to be able to run VMWare workstation for
    >> some Windows CAD stuff I can't avoid.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Steve

    > I have 10.3 /KDE running on a PIII/933 with 512MB of ram. No problems
    > here at all...pretty snappy performance....runs everything I ask of it.
    > I did have vmware running on this same machine with 10.0 and KDE
    > running on it. I decided to take the plunge and try out 10.3 on the
    > machine since 10.0's support ends at the end of this month. I have not
    > be disappointed in anyway whatsoever. I have not reinstalled vmware,
    > simply because I have not gotten around to it yet.
    >
    > Jim

    Thanks, Jim - and everyone else who responded. I'll give the latest
    version a try, speed isn't an especially big deal for me. It's always a
    difficult question to ask when people's perceptions of what's slow and
    fast are very subjective.

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread