Kernel upgrade on 10.3 - Suse

This is a discussion on Kernel upgrade on 10.3 - Suse ; Hi All, I did a "smart upgrade" on my system yesterday (opensuse 10.3 x86_64). One of the upgrades was the kernel (though I'm not sure that has anything to do with it). Anyways since that upgrade the computer is behaving ...

  1. Kernel upgrade on 10.3

    Hi All,

    I did a "smart upgrade" on my system yesterday (opensuse 10.3 x86_64).
    One of the upgrades was the kernel (though I'm not sure that has
    anything to do with it). Anyways since that upgrade the computer is
    behaving very strange.

    The computer halts at boot after a failed fsck (not /). I have to give
    root password to continue or CONTROL D to reboot. After giving the root
    pw I run init 5 and kde failes to start (it says check your
    installation) and I'm kicked back to KDM login. I can only login as
    root. Running YAST partitioner shows that /home is not mounted (it has a
    "*" next to it). I'm able to mount /home in partitioner and logout. Then
    I'm able to login as normal user again at KDM.

    This is very confusing - anyone seen this before? I don't think there
    are any physical errors on the HDs...

  2. Re: Kernel upgrade on 10.3

    Wodans wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I did a "smart upgrade" on my system yesterday (opensuse 10.3 x86_64).
    > One of the upgrades was the kernel (though I'm not sure that has
    > anything to do with it). Anyways since that upgrade the computer is
    > behaving very strange.
    >
    > The computer halts at boot after a failed fsck (not /). I have to give
    > root password to continue or CONTROL D to reboot. After giving the root
    > pw I run init 5 and kde failes to start (it says check your
    > installation) and I'm kicked back to KDM login. I can only login as
    > root. Running YAST partitioner shows that /home is not mounted (it has a
    > "*" next to it). I'm able to mount /home in partitioner and logout. Then
    > I'm able to login as normal user again at KDM.
    >
    > This is very confusing - anyone seen this before? I don't think there
    > are any physical errors on the HDs...

    I don't have a separate /home partition so this didn't happen here. Try
    to login with the method you described, fire up yast, go the disk
    partitioner and fix the mount points there.

  3. Re: Kernel upgrade on 10.3

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Wodans wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I did a "smart upgrade" on my system yesterday (opensuse 10.3 x86_64).
    >> One of the upgrades was the kernel (though I'm not sure that has
    >> anything to do with it). Anyways since that upgrade the computer is
    >> behaving very strange.
    >>
    >> The computer halts at boot after a failed fsck (not /). I have to give
    >> root password to continue or CONTROL D to reboot. After giving the root
    >> pw I run init 5 and kde failes to start (it says check your
    >> installation) and I'm kicked back to KDM login. I can only login as
    >> root. Running YAST partitioner shows that /home is not mounted (it has a
    >> "*" next to it). I'm able to mount /home in partitioner and logout. Then
    >> I'm able to login as normal user again at KDM.
    >>
    >> This is very confusing - anyone seen this before? I don't think there
    >> are any physical errors on the HDs...

    > I don't have a separate /home partition so this didn't happen here. Try
    > to login with the method you described, fire up yast, go the disk
    > partitioner and fix the mount points there.

    I tried that but after a reboot the same problems occurs again. I have
    to go through the same procedure to get my ordinary user to work...

  4. Re: Kernel upgrade on 10.3

    Wodans wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> I don't have a separate /home partition so this didn't happen here. Try
    >> to login with the method you described, fire up yast, go the disk
    >> partitioner and fix the mount points there.

    > I tried that but after a reboot the same problems occurs again. I have
    > to go through the same procedure to get my ordinary user to work...

    Check the file /etc/fstab to see if the settings you make in the
    partitioner are actually being saved there.

  5. Re: Kernel upgrade on 10.3

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >Wodans wrote:
    >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    >>> I don't have a separate /home partition so this didn't happen
    >>> here. Try to login with the method you described, fire up yast,
    >>> go the disk partitioner and fix the mount points there.

    >> I tried that but after a reboot the same problems occurs again. I
    >> have to go through the same procedure to get my ordinary user to
    >> work...

    >Check the file /etc/fstab to see if the settings you make in the
    >partitioner are actually being saved there.

    I have a sneaking suspicion about a damaged root filesystem.
    It may be mounting read-only.
    \ / ASCII ribbon campaign | The object of life is not to be on the side of
    X against HTML mail | the majority but to escape finding oneself in
    / \ and postings | the ranks of the insane. -- Marcus Aurelius

  6. Re: Kernel upgrade on 10.3

    Wodans wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I did a "smart upgrade" on my system yesterday (opensuse 10.3 x86_64).
    > One of the upgrades was the kernel (though I'm not sure that has
    > anything to do with it). Anyways since that upgrade the computer is
    > behaving very strange.
    >
    > The computer halts at boot after a failed fsck (not /). I have to give
    > root password to continue or CONTROL D to reboot. After giving the root
    > pw I run init 5 and kde failes to start (it says check your
    > installation) and I'm kicked back to KDM login. I can only login as
    > root. Running YAST partitioner shows that /home is not mounted (it has a
    > "*" next to it). I'm able to mount /home in partitioner and logout. Then
    > I'm able to login as normal user again at KDM.
    >
    > This is very confusing - anyone seen this before? I don't think there
    > are any physical errors on the HDs...

    have you had a look in /boot/grub to see if there is more than one kernel
    if so go to YaST2 system bootloader to see which one is being used.

  7. Re: Kernel upgrade on 10.3

    Bernd Felsche wrote:

    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >>Wodans wrote:

    >>> I tried that but after a reboot the same problems occurs again. I
    >>> have to go through the same procedure to get my ordinary user to
    >>> work...

    >>Check the file /etc/fstab to see if the settings you make in the
    >>partitioner are actually being saved there.

    > I have a sneaking suspicion about a damaged root filesystem.
    > It may be mounting read-only.

    It would be useful to know what the /etc/fstab looks like ... (or have I
    missed something?)

    --
    Les

  8. Re: Kernel upgrade on 10.3

    Leslie Danks wrote:
    > Bernd Felsche wrote:
    >
    >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >>> Check the file /etc/fstab to see if the settings you make in the
    >>> partitioner are actually being saved there.

    >> I have a sneaking suspicion about a damaged root filesystem.
    >> It may be mounting read-only.

    > It would be useful to know what the /etc/fstab looks like ... (or have I
    > missed something?)

    This is my Fstab

    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300622AS_5NF299YN-part8 /
    xfs defaults 1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3200822A_3LJ1L3SF-part1 /home
    ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300622AS_5NF299YN-part5 swap
    swap defaults 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults
    0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs noauto
    0 0
    debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto
    0 0
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto
    0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5
    0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto noauto,user,sync
    0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3200822A_3LJ1L3SF-part1 /home ext3
    defaults 1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD2500KS-00_WD-WCANK5144904-part6 /divback
    vfat users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3200822A_3LJ1L3SF-part5 /extra ext3
    defaults 1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300622AS_5NF299YN-part7 /film
    ntfs-3g user,users,gid=users,umask=0002 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD2500KS-00_WD-WCANK5144904-part5 /mp3
    vfat users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300622AS_5NF299YN-part1 /win
    ntfs-3g user,users,gid=users,umask=0002 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300622AS_5NF299YN-part9 /oldhome
    ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300622AS_5NF299YN-part6 /ubuntu
    ext3 defaults 1 2

  9. Re: Kernel upgrade on 10.3

    darklight wrote:
    > Wodans wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I did a "smart upgrade" on my system yesterday (opensuse 10.3 x86_64).
    >> One of the upgrades was the kernel (though I'm not sure that has
    >> anything to do with it). Anyways since that upgrade the computer is
    >> behaving very strange.
    >>
    >> The computer halts at boot after a failed fsck (not /). I have to give
    >> root password to continue or CONTROL D to reboot. After giving the root
    >> pw I run init 5 and kde failes to start (it says check your
    >> installation) and I'm kicked back to KDM login. I can only login as
    >> root. Running YAST partitioner shows that /home is not mounted (it has a
    >> "*" next to it). I'm able to mount /home in partitioner and logout. Then
    >> I'm able to login as normal user again at KDM.
    >>
    >> This is very confusing - anyone seen this before? I don't think there
    >> are any physical errors on the HDs...

    > have you had a look in /boot/grub to see if there is more than one kernel
    > if so go to YaST2 system bootloader to see which one is being used.

    Only one kernel is used.

  10. Re: Kernel upgrade on 10.3

    Leslie Danks wrote:
    >Bernd Felsche wrote:
    >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    >>>Check the file /etc/fstab to see if the settings you make in the
    >>>partitioner are actually being saved there.

    >> I have a sneaking suspicion about a damaged root filesystem.
    >> It may be mounting read-only.

    >It would be useful to know what the /etc/fstab looks like ... (or have I
    >missed something?)

    No.

    If the root filesystem is mounted read-only because it has a
    problem, then /etc/fstab may still define /home as being required to
    be mounted ... I don't remember if it's possible to mount it on a
    read-only root filesystem though.
    \ / ASCII ribbon campaign | The object of life is not to be on the side of
    X against HTML mail | the majority but to escape finding oneself in
    / \ and postings | the ranks of the insane. -- Marcus Aurelius

  11. Re: Kernel upgrade on 10.3

    Wodans wrote:

    > Leslie Danks wrote:

    [...]

    >> It would be useful to know what the /etc/fstab looks like ... (or have I
    >> missed something?)
    >>

    > This is my Fstab
    >
    > /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300622AS_5NF299YN-part8 /
    > xfs defaults 1 1
    > /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3200822A_3LJ1L3SF-part1 /home
    > ext3 defaults 1 2
    > /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300622AS_5NF299YN-part5 swap
    > swap defaults 0 0
    > proc /proc proc defaults
    > 0 0
    > sysfs /sys sysfs noauto
    > 0 0
    > debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto
    > 0 0
    > usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto
    > 0 0
    > devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5
    > 0 0
    > /dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto noauto,user,sync
    > 0 0
    > /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3200822A_3LJ1L3SF-part1 /home ext3
    > defaults 1 2
    > /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD2500KS-00_WD-WCANK5144904-part6 /divback
    > vfat users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
    > /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3200822A_3LJ1L3SF-part5 /extra ext3
    > defaults 1 2
    > /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300622AS_5NF299YN-part7 /film
    > ntfs-3g user,users,gid=users,umask=0002 0 0
    > /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD2500KS-00_WD-WCANK5144904-part5 /mp3
    > vfat users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
    > /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300622AS_5NF299YN-part1 /win
    > ntfs-3g user,users,gid=users,umask=0002 0 0
    > /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300622AS_5NF299YN-part9 /oldhome
    > ext3 defaults 1 2
    > /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300622AS_5NF299YN-part6 /ubuntu
    > ext3 defaults 1 2

    You seem to have mounted /home on partition 1 twice, once as ata and once as
    scsi-SATA but with the same hard-disk ID. Maybe that is the problem ...

    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3200822A_3LJ1L3SF-part1 /home ext3 defaults
    1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3200822A_3LJ1L3SF-part1 /home ext3 defaults
    1 2

    --
    Les

  12. Re: Kernel upgrade on 10.3

    If I remove the first /home from fstab and reboot, it will appear again
    in fstab.

    So it is added added at startup. /home should be on the ata drive. I
    think that it is added at boot to the sata drive automatically.

    Leslie Danks wrote:
    > Wodans wrote:
    >
    >> Leslie Danks wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    >>> It would be useful to know what the /etc/fstab looks like ... (or have I
    >>> missed something?)
    >>>

    >> This is my Fstab
    >>
    >> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300622AS_5NF299YN-part8 /
    >> xfs defaults 1 1
    >> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3200822A_3LJ1L3SF-part1 /home
    >> ext3 defaults 1 2
    >> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300622AS_5NF299YN-part5 swap
    >> swap defaults 0 0
    >> proc /proc proc defaults
    >> 0 0
    >> sysfs /sys sysfs noauto
    >> 0 0
    >> debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto
    >> 0 0
    >> usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto
    >> 0 0
    >> devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5
    >> 0 0
    >> /dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto noauto,user,sync
    >> 0 0
    >> /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3200822A_3LJ1L3SF-part1 /home ext3
    >> defaults 1 2
    >> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD2500KS-00_WD-WCANK5144904-part6 /divback
    >> vfat users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
    >> /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3200822A_3LJ1L3SF-part5 /extra ext3
    >> defaults 1 2
    >> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300622AS_5NF299YN-part7 /film
    >> ntfs-3g user,users,gid=users,umask=0002 0 0
    >> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD2500KS-00_WD-WCANK5144904-part5 /mp3
    >> vfat users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
    >> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300622AS_5NF299YN-part1 /win
    >> ntfs-3g user,users,gid=users,umask=0002 0 0
    >> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300622AS_5NF299YN-part9 /oldhome
    >> ext3 defaults 1 2
    >> /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300622AS_5NF299YN-part6 /ubuntu
    >> ext3 defaults 1 2

    > You seem to have mounted /home on partition 1 twice, once as ata and once as
    > scsi-SATA but with the same hard-disk ID. Maybe that is the problem ...
    >

    > /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3200822A_3LJ1L3SF-part1 /home ext3 defaults
    > 1 2
    > /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3200822A_3LJ1L3SF-part1 /home ext3 defaults
    > 1 2

  13. Re: Kernel upgrade on 10.3

    Wodans wrote:

    > If I remove the first /home from fstab and reboot, it will appear again
    > in fstab.
    >
    > So it is added added at startup. /home should be on the ata drive. I
    > think that it is added at boot to the sata drive automatically.

    I never heard of that before. What does /etc/mtab look like?

    [...]

    --
    Les

  14. Re: Kernel upgrade on 10.3

    Leslie Danks wrote:
    > Wodans wrote:
    >
    >> If I remove the first /home from fstab and reboot, it will appear again
    >> in fstab.
    >>
    >> So it is added added at startup. /home should be on the ata drive. I
    >> think that it is added at boot to the sata drive automatically.

    > I never heard of that before. What does /etc/mtab look like?
    >
    > [...]

    This is /etc/mtab after login as my normal user (i.e. went trhough the
    whole procedure of login in as root changing fstab to mount the right /home)

  15. Re: Kernel upgrade on 10.3

    Leslie Danks wrote:
    > Wodans wrote:
    >
    >> If I remove the first /home from fstab and reboot, it will appear again
    >> in fstab.
    >>
    >> So it is added added at startup. /home should be on the ata drive. I
    >> think that it is added at boot to the sata drive automatically.

    > I never heard of that before. What does /etc/mtab look like?
    >
    > [...]

    oups forgot the mtab here it is

    /dev/sda8 / xfs rw 0 0
    /dev/sdb6 /divback vfat
    rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,utf8=tru e 0 0
    /dev/hdb5 /extra ext3 rw 0 0
    /dev/sda7 /film fuseblk
    rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default _permissions,blksize=4096
    0 0
    /dev/hdb1 /home ext3 rw 0 0
    /dev/sdb5 /mp3 vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,utf8=tru e 0 0
    /dev/sda9 /oldhome ext3 rw 0 0
    /dev/sda1 /win fuseblk
    rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default _permissions,blksize=4096
    0 0

  16. Re: Kernel upgrade on 10.3

    Leslie Danks wrote:
    > Wodans wrote:
    >
    >> If I remove the first /home from fstab and reboot, it will appear again
    >> in fstab.
    >>
    >> So it is added added at startup. /home should be on the ata drive. I
    >> think that it is added at boot to the sata drive automatically.

    > I never heard of that before. What does /etc/mtab look like?

    `less /etc/mtab` and find out. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
    sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of

  17. Re: Kernel upgrade on 10.3

    Wodans wrote:

    > Leslie Danks wrote:
    >> Wodans wrote:
    >>
    >>> If I remove the first /home from fstab and reboot, it will appear again
    >>> in fstab.
    >>>
    >>> So it is added added at startup. /home should be on the ata drive. I
    >>> think that it is added at boot to the sata drive automatically.

    >> I never heard of that before. What does /etc/mtab look like?
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>

    > oups forgot the mtab here it is
    >
    > /dev/sda8 / xfs rw 0 0
    > /dev/sdb6 /divback vfat
    > rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,utf8=tru e 0 0
    > /dev/hdb5 /extra ext3 rw 0 0
    > /dev/sda7 /film fuseblk

    rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default _permissions,blksize=4096
    > 0 0
    > /dev/hdb1 /home ext3 rw 0 0
    > /dev/sdb5 /mp3 vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,utf8=tru e 0
    > 0 /dev/sda9 /oldhome ext3 rw 0 0
    > /dev/sda1 /win fuseblk

    rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default _permissions,blksize=4096
    > 0 0

    Are you 100% certain that your editing of fstab was saved properly?

    --
    Les

  18. Re: Kernel upgrade on 10.3

    Leslie Danks wrote:
    > Wodans wrote:

    >>> I never heard of that before. What does /etc/mtab look like?
    >>>
    >>> [...]
    >>>

    >> oups forgot the mtab here it is
    >>
    >> /dev/sda8 / xfs rw 0 0
    >> /dev/sdb6 /divback vfat
    >> rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,utf8=tru e 0 0
    >> /dev/hdb5 /extra ext3 rw 0 0
    >> /dev/sda7 /film fuseblk
    >>

    > rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default _permissions,blksize=4096
    >> 0 0
    >> /dev/hdb1 /home ext3 rw 0 0
    >> /dev/sdb5 /mp3 vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,utf8=tru e 0
    >> 0 /dev/sda9 /oldhome ext3 rw 0 0
    >> /dev/sda1 /win fuseblk
    >>

    > rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default _permissions,blksize=4096
    >> 0 0

    > Are you 100% certain that your editing of fstab was saved properly?

    I will check if my FSTAB changes are being saved after reboot.

    I'm not at my computer now so I have to do that later today.

  19. Re: Kernel upgrade on 10.3

    Wodans wrote:
    > Leslie Danks wrote:
    >> Wodans wrote:

    >>> oups forgot the mtab here it is
    >>>
    >>> /dev/sda8 / xfs rw 0 0
    >>> /dev/sdb6 /divback vfat
    >>> rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,utf8=tru e 0 0
    >>> /dev/hdb5 /extra ext3 rw 0 0
    >>> /dev/sda7 /film fuseblk
    >>>

    >> rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default _permissions,blksize=4096
    >>> 0 0
    >>> /dev/hdb1 /home ext3 rw 0 0
    >>> /dev/sdb5 /mp3 vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,utf8=tru e 0
    >>> 0 /dev/sda9 /oldhome ext3 rw 0 0
    >>> /dev/sda1 /win fuseblk
    >>>

    >> rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default _permissions,blksize=4096
    >>> 0 0

    >> Are you 100% certain that your editing of fstab was saved properly?
    >>

    > I will check if my FSTAB changes are being saved after reboot.
    >
    > I'm not at my computer now so I have to do that later today.

    Well Leslie Danks - you were right. It turns out that YAST did not write
    the changes to FSTAB. I rebooted the computer and manually edited FSTAB
    and deleted reference to the wrong /home.

    Now it boots fine again.

    Thanks!!

+ Reply to Thread