ssh client - Suse

This is a discussion on ssh client - Suse ; Hi In Suse what client app is there to connect to another server using SSH. I hate to compare, I noticed in Centos in the 'places' drop-down menu there is a app call 'connect to servers' that gives you a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: ssh client

  1. ssh client

    Hi

    In Suse what client app is there to connect to another server using
    SSH. I hate to compare, I noticed in Centos in the 'places' drop-down
    menu there is a app call 'connect to servers' that gives you a variety
    of connection protocols. What's Suse's equivalent.

    Thanks

    mike


  2. Re: ssh client

    Hi Mike

    You mean a GUI app? I personally use the standard (xterm) terminal screen.

    Also keep in mind that SSH can be considered a transport layer of sorts
    that you run apps on top of. Remote X over public Internet or rsync for
    example. You can even run PPP over SSH (like as a VPN) but it is kind of
    problematic. The gist of it is, is that the SSH "tunnel" is secured by
    encryption and optionally compressed.

    There are also other terminal apps like telnet, rsh and rlogin. They
    aren't of course so popular nowadays.

    Of course "Connect to Servers" could mean a lot of things. What kind of
    options does it give you? Is it a terminal screen or something pretty
    like a GUI file management app to "see" the remote server?

    Cheers Bob

    mmccaws2 wrote:
    > In Suse what client app is there to connect to another server using
    > SSH.


  3. Re: ssh client

    mmccaws2 wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > In Suse what client app is there to connect to another server using
    > SSH. I hate to compare, I noticed in Centos in the 'places' drop-down
    > menu there is a app call 'connect to servers' that gives you a variety
    > of connection protocols. What's Suse's equivalent.


    I suppose you mean a remote shell connection? You simply open a
    terminal and type:

    ssh hostname

    And that's it. If the host you connect to requires a public key, you
    place that key in your .ssh directory. How this works is usually
    explained in the SSH user manual or simply Google it.

  4. Re: ssh client

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 01:34:16 +0200
    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    > mmccaws2 wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > In Suse what client app is there to connect to another server using
    > > SSH. I hate to compare, I noticed in Centos in the 'places'
    > > drop-down menu there is a app call 'connect to servers' that gives
    > > you a variety of connection protocols. What's Suse's equivalent.

    >
    > I suppose you mean a remote shell connection? You simply open a
    > terminal and type:
    >
    > ssh hostname
    >
    > And that's it. If the host you connect to requires a public key, you
    > place that key in your .ssh directory. How this works is usually
    > explained in the SSH user manual or simply Google it.

    Hi
    If you want a gui, compile putty;
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html

    You can also use sftp in either Konquerer(fish://) or Nautilus
    (sftp://) to connect and transfer files.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.53-0.16-smp
    up 3 days 0:56, 0 users, load average: 0.07, 0.09, 0.08

  5. Re: ssh client

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > ssh hostname
    >
    > And that's it.


    No need to go on after this.

    > If the host you connect to requires a public key, you place that key
    > in your .ssh directory. How this works is usually explained in the
    > SSH user manual or simply Google it.


    It will ask you if you want to save it.

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.
    -- Tron (1982)

  6. Re: ssh client

    Malcolm wrote:
    > Hi
    > If you want a gui, compile putty;
    > http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html
    >
    > You can also use sftp in either Konquerer(fish://) or Nautilus
    > (sftp://) to connect and transfer files.


    Or make a link like `xterm -c ssh user@host` and then configure it to do
    a passwordless login (e.g. for scripts) http://houghi.org/ssh/ explains
    this process

    If you do automated connections you should be aware (which is different
    then be alarmed) that if the machine you make the connection with, it
    will be compromising the access to that other machine as well for that
    specific user.

    In 99.99998962354% percent of the cases, that is not an issue. If it is
    an issue, see that you can get the information in another way, e.g. via
    a secure http connection. If that is not the case, make sure that the
    remote machine has a specific user that has extremely low allowence and
    is able to do just one task.

    Then start to rethink to get the information in another, more secure
    way. The cases where this is relevant will be cases where you do not
    want a human to connect anyway. ;-)

    Look at it as risc assesment, not as panick assesment. :-D

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.
    -- Tron (1982)

  7. Re: ssh client

    On 2007-11-12 22:39, mmccaws2 wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > In Suse what client app is there to connect to another server using
    > SSH. I hate to compare, I noticed in Centos in the 'places' drop-down
    > menu there is a app call 'connect to servers' that gives you a variety
    > of connection protocols. What's Suse's equivalent.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > mike
    >


    In suse, I have setup one machine as slp server , and I can browse all
    cups, ssh, nfs, vnc ,ntp and so on services on my local network on all machines.

    So, when installing a new machine, it just have for example the printers ready
    to run and I never need to configure the machine as a cups client or anything.

    You can do this using YaST, no need to edit any files.

    Install openslp-server and yast2-slp-server

    Restart Yast

    Goto System/System services in Yast , enable slpd.
    goto Network Services/ SLP Server , configure Becomes DA Server.

    Other machines will find it and register their services, so your
    kio slave (service:/ , slp:/ ) will list them.
    Example Konqueror slp:/ssh will list your machines that has
    registered the service ssh.

    If you configure for multicast, you must route the net 224 to your
    local network, and not out to Internet, but you can select broadcast
    to be safe.
    /etc/cups/cupsd.conf also need protocol "all" ( cups+slp )


    /bb


  8. Re: ssh client

    On Nov 13, 3:58 am, birre wrote:
    > On 2007-11-12 22:39, mmccaws2 wrote:
    >
    > > Hi

    >
    > > In Suse what client app is there to connect to another server using
    > > SSH. I hate to compare, I noticed in Centos in the 'places' drop-down
    > > menu there is a app call 'connect to servers' that gives you a variety
    > > of connection protocols. What's Suse's equivalent.

    >
    > > Thanks

    >
    > > mike

    >
    > In suse, I have setup one machine as slp server , and I can browse all
    > cups, ssh, nfs, vnc ,ntp and so on services on my local network on all machines.
    >
    > So, when installing a new machine, it just have for example the printers ready
    > to run and I never need to configure the machine as a cups client or anything.
    >
    > You can do this using YaST, no need to edit any files.
    >
    > Install openslp-server and yast2-slp-server
    >
    > Restart Yast
    >
    > Goto System/System services in Yast , enable slpd.
    > goto Network Services/ SLP Server , configure Becomes DA Server.
    >
    > Other machines will find it and register their services, so your
    > kio slave (service:/ , slp:/ ) will list them.
    > Example Konqueror slp:/ssh will list your machines that has
    > registered the service ssh.
    >
    > If you configure for multicast, you must route the net 224 to your
    > local network, and not out to Internet, but you can select broadcast
    > to be safe.
    > /etc/cups/cupsd.conf also need protocol "all" ( cups+slp )
    >
    > /bb


    There some great ideas in these posts. I was trying to not have to
    code the connection management between the two servers. The pub key
    sounds like the ticket. However the slp server sounds good for
    home.

    Thanks

    Mike


+ Reply to Thread