Evolution Mail - Newbie Question - Suse

This is a discussion on Evolution Mail - Newbie Question - Suse ; Hi All, I configured my Evolution Mail Client in Gnome to DL all my mail from Yahoo. If I log in as my standard user, not root, I am able to DL and Send e-mails with no problem. My question ...

  1. Evolution Mail - Newbie Question

    Hi All,

    I configured my Evolution Mail Client in Gnome to DL all my mail from
    Yahoo. If I log in as my standard user, not root, I am able to DL and
    Send e-mails with no problem.

    My question is, where is file that I need to backup in order to retain
    the mail in my inbox. In the event I trash the system and need to do
    a complete re-install, I would like to make sure I can still get to
    these messages.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Evolution Mail - Newbie Question

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 16:42:50 -0800 in
    1194828170.492205.214580@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.c om, JKSLIDER
    wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I configured my Evolution Mail Client in Gnome to DL all my mail from
    > Yahoo. If I log in as my standard user, not root, I am able to DL and
    > Send e-mails with no problem.
    >
    > My question is, where is file that I need to backup in order to retain
    > the mail in my inbox. In the event I trash the system and need to do a
    > complete re-install, I would like to make sure I can still get to these
    > messages.

    All the relevant files are under /home/(your log-in)/.evolution .

    Stephan
    --
    Stephan Bird MChem(Hons) AMRSC
    Currently in Caernarfon, Wales

  3. Re: Evolution Mail - Newbie Question

    JKSLIDER wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I configured my Evolution Mail Client in Gnome to DL all my mail from
    > Yahoo. If I log in as my standard user, not root, I am able to DL and
    > Send e-mails with no problem.
    >
    > My question is, where is file that I need to backup in order to retain
    > the mail in my inbox. In the event I trash the system and need to do
    > a complete re-install, I would like to make sure I can still get to
    > these messages.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Evolution is a complete nightmare here. That is why I use Thunderbird.
    There is an invisible (.evolution) directory in your home directory
    that contains the actual data, but that won't help. You cannot backup
    and restore the directories to another machine, Evolution will reject
    the configuration unless it was created by the copy running on the given
    system. Then there are more configuration parts in .gconf,
    ..gnome2_private and .camel_certsUSERID@HOST but don't think backing up
    those will help either - just makes a bigger mess. Miguel seems to love
    MS and programs in their awful non-UNIX style, so I stay away. It might
    have some value if it would at least connect to Exchange server 5.5, but
    no, not even that (and after the controversial agreement, that feature
    no longer works).

    The only way to actually do this is to EXPORT all your files, mail,
    address books, etc. to a format that it can IMPORT on the other machine.

  4. Re: Evolution Mail - Newbie Question

    On Nov 12, 2:15 am, Usenet Reader wrote:
    > JKSLIDER wrote:
    > > Hi All,

    > > I configured my Evolution Mail Client in Gnome to DL all my mail from
    > > Yahoo. If I log in as my standard user, not root, I am able to DL and
    > > Send e-mails with no problem.

    > > My question is, where is file that I need to backup in order to retain
    > > the mail in my inbox. In the event I trash the system and need to do
    > > a complete re-install, I would like to make sure I can still get to
    > > these messages.

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > Evolution is a complete nightmare here. That is why I use Thunderbird.
    > There is an invisible (.evolution) directory in your home directory
    > that contains the actual data, but that won't help. You cannot backup
    > and restore the directories to another machine, Evolution will reject
    > the configuration unless it was created by the copy running on the given
    > system. Then there are more configuration parts in .gconf,
    > .gnome2_private and .camel_certsUSERID@HOST but don't think backing up
    > those will help either - just makes a bigger mess. Miguel seems to love
    > MS and programs in their awful non-UNIX style, so I stay away. It might
    > have some value if it would at least connect to Exchange server 5.5, but
    > no, not even that (and after the controversial agreement, that feature
    > no longer works).
    >
    > The only way to actually do this is to EXPORT all your files, mail,
    > address books, etc. to a format that it can IMPORT on the other machine.

    Thanks for the help, guess I will print out the e-mails to be safe.

+ Reply to Thread