Kexi - Suse

This is a discussion on Kexi - Suse ; For those looking for something similar to MS Access for Linux, might I suggest Koffice's Kexi. I tripped over it yesterday and gave it a shot today. It's not as advanced as MS Access but it seems to be pretty ...

  1. Kexi

    For those looking for something similar to MS Access for Linux,
    might I suggest Koffice's Kexi. I tripped over it yesterday and gave it
    a shot today. It's not as advanced as MS Access but it seems to be
    pretty good. I'm using it with MySQL.

    Just thought you all might like to know.

  2. Re: Kexi

    scott schrieb:

    > For those looking for something similar to MS Access for Linux,
    > might I suggest Koffice's Kexi.

    Do you really know MS-Access? I tried kexy once and I must say, it has
    absolute nothing in common with MS-Access.

    Never seen a database before where you lose all data after a simple change
    of a fieldtype or -name. It's just a nice toy but not usuable as a
    database. Its the same crap as OpenOffice-Base.

  3. Re: Kexi

    Martin Schnitkemper wrote:
    > scott schrieb:
    >
    >> For those looking for something similar to MS Access for Linux,
    >> might I suggest Koffice's Kexi.

    > Do you really know MS-Access? I tried kexy once and I must say, it has
    > absolute nothing in common with MS-Access.
    >
    > Never seen a database before where you lose all data after a simple change
    > of a fieldtype or -name. It's just a nice toy but not usuable as a
    > database. Its the same crap as OpenOffice-Base.

    It's been a couple of years since I last used it. Used to do quite a
    bit with it. Sure it doesn't match Access's menu selections and such
    but it functions similarly. And yes Kexi has some problems with it that
    I can see and it doesn't have all of the functionality. But like all
    software it needs enhancing and improvement. Once can complain that
    Access won't work on Linux or you can use what's there and work on
    improving it.

  4. Re: Kexi

    on Sunday 11 November 2007 04:27 pm, someone posing as scott took a rock and
    etched into the cave:

    > Once can complain that
    > Access won't work on Linux or you can use what's there and work on
    > improving it.

    Access does't work on any OS.

    --
    www.perfectreign.com

  5. Re: Kexi

    scott schrieb:

    > It's been a couple of years since I last used it. Used to do quite a
    > bit with it. Sure it doesn't match Access's menu selections and such
    > but it functions similarly.

    It has no script language like vba, you have to compose all sql-queries by
    yourself since the sql-editor does not work, you have no report generator
    and so on, the list would be endless.

    With these few and less than basic functions of a database application I
    would not describe kexy as "functions similarly" to ms-access.

    And for what is a database useful if it is not able to create a report?
    Have you ever seen the powerful report you can generate with a ms-access
    application?

    And again: you are not able to change the table design, such as extend a
    textfield from 30 to 50 characters. You will lose after a warning all
    existing data. You can never change the design of any table without loss
    of data. Unfortunatey, the im- and export does also not work, you can only
    export to a csv file.

    > And yes Kexi has some problems with it that
    > I can see and it doesn't have all of the functionality.

    To be honest, kexi has almost no functionality and is milestones away from a
    professional databas like ms-access.

    > But like all
    > software it needs enhancing and improvement.

    Accpted. But then its not worth a suggestions and at least not worth a
    compare to ms-access or a replace of ms-access on a linux system.

    Maybe they improve it one day, but for the moment it has for me less than
    alpha status and can not serioulsy used ad a database application.

    But I think they will never reach the class of ms-access, a database is more
    than only fill a table with some data.

    Martin.

  6. Re: Kexi

    Martin Schnitkemper wrote:
    > scott schrieb:
    >
    >> It's been a couple of years since I last used it. Used to do quite a
    >> bit with it. Sure it doesn't match Access's menu selections and such
    >> but it functions similarly.

    > It has no script language like vba, you have to compose all sql-queries by
    > yourself since the sql-editor does not work, you have no report generator
    > and so on, the list would be endless.
    >
    > With these few and less than basic functions of a database application I
    > would not describe kexy as "functions similarly" to ms-access.
    >
    > And for what is a database useful if it is not able to create a report?
    > Have you ever seen the powerful report you can generate with a ms-access
    > application?
    >
    > And again: you are not able to change the table design, such as extend a
    > textfield from 30 to 50 characters. You will lose after a warning all
    > existing data. You can never change the design of any table without loss
    > of data. Unfortunatey, the im- and export does also not work, you can only
    > export to a csv file.
    >
    >> And yes Kexi has some problems with it that
    >> I can see and it doesn't have all of the functionality.

    > To be honest, kexi has almost no functionality and is milestones away from a
    > professional databas like ms-access.
    >
    >> But like all
    >> software it needs enhancing and improvement.

    > Accpted. But then its not worth a suggestions and at least not worth a
    > compare to ms-access or a replace of ms-access on a linux system.
    >
    > Maybe they improve it one day, but for the moment it has for me less than
    > alpha status and can not serioulsy used ad a database application.
    >
    > But I think they will never reach the class of ms-access, a database is more
    > than only fill a table with some data.
    >
    > Martin.

    As I work with more and more with Kexi I am finding what you are
    saying true.

  7. Re: Kexi

    Martin Schnitkemper schreef:
    > scott schrieb:
    >
    > > It's been a couple of years since I last used it. Used to do quite a
    > > bit with it. Sure it doesn't match Access's menu selections and such
    > > but it functions similarly.

    > It has no script language like vba, you have to compose all sql-queries by
    > yourself since the sql-editor does not work, you have no report generator
    > and so on, the list would be endless.
    >
    > With these few and less than basic functions of a database application I
    > would not describe kexy as "functions similarly" to ms-access.
    >
    > And for what is a database useful if it is not able to create a report?
    > Have you ever seen the powerful report you can generate with a ms-access
    > application?
    >
    > And again: you are not able to change the table design, such as extend a
    > textfield from 30 to 50 characters. You will lose after a warning all
    > existing data. You can never change the design of any table without loss
    > of data. Unfortunatey, the im- and export does also not work, you can only
    > export to a csv file.
    >
    > > And yes Kexi has some problems with it that
    > > I can see and it doesn't have all of the functionality.

    > To be honest, kexi has almost no functionality and is milestones away from a
    > professional databas like ms-access.
    >
    > > But like all
    > > software it needs enhancing and improvement.

    > Accpted. But then its not worth a suggestions and at least not worth a
    > compare to ms-access or a replace of ms-access on a linux system.
    >
    > Maybe they improve it one day, but for the moment it has for me less than
    > alpha status and can not serioulsy used ad a database application.
    >
    > But I think they will never reach the class of ms-access, a database is more
    > than only fill a table with some data.
    >
    > Martin.

    i just want to express my opinion on kexi. i use it for my work (event
    and client registration). for me it's functional, useful,
    straightforward. kexi suits me. i am happy and satisfied with it.

    ronald

+ Reply to Thread