Upgrading? 10.2 to 10.3 - best method - Suse

This is a discussion on Upgrading? 10.2 to 10.3 - best method - Suse ; I have openSUSE 10.2 dual booting with XP on my PC. I've been playing with 10.3 and would like to upgrade my 10.2 install to 10.3. I believe a clean install is preferable to an in-place update? What method would ...

  1. Upgrading? 10.2 to 10.3 - best method

    I have openSUSE 10.2 dual booting with XP on my PC.

    I've been playing with 10.3 and would like to upgrade my 10.2 install to
    10.3.

    I believe a clean install is preferable to an in-place update?

    What method would you suggest for replacing 10.2 with 10.3 in a dual
    boot install?

    TIA

    Guy

  2. Re: Upgrading? 10.2 to 10.3 - best method

    Bigguy wrote:

    > I believe a clean install is preferable to an in-place update?

    make a clean install
    before make a backup from you're home
    konsole --> "tar -czf /pathtobackup/home.tar ~/"

    make a list of used software ;-)
    boot up with cd / dvd of openSUSE 10.3

    before install add Repositories:
    http://en.opensuse.org/Package_Repositories
    for near @ you're home --> http://en.opensuse.org/Mirrors_Released_Version

    http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...10.3/repo/oss/
    http://download.opensuse.org/distrib.../repo/non-oss/
    http://download.opensuse.org/update/10.3/
    KDE or GNOME

    at the format options you don't format the partition of /home
    if that's on another partion.

    drink a coffee for the next 1 hour

    and play with you're openSUSE 10.3 :-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: Upgrading? 10.2 to 10.3 - best method

    In addition to the previous message, if you are using KDE, I have made a
    note of some config files which you might want to save and restore to your
    home directory to reduce the need to reconfigure all your applications.

    I put this info here:

    http://www.euclideanspace.com/tech/p...date/index.htm

    Martin

  4. Re: Upgrading? 10.2 to 10.3 - best method

    Bigguy wrote:
    > I have openSUSE 10.2 dual booting with XP on my PC.
    >
    > I've been playing with 10.3 and would like to upgrade my 10.2 install to
    > 10.3.
    >
    > I believe a clean install is preferable to an in-place update?
    >
    > What method would you suggest for replacing 10.2 with 10.3 in a dual
    > boot install?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Guy

    The easiest is to run the upgrade which I did except that the boot
    loader trashed my boot sector and previous grub dual boot menu.
    Then I wiped the drives and did a clean install which also worked fine.

  5. Re: Upgrading? 10.2 to 10.3 - best method

    Bigguy wrote:

    > I have openSUSE 10.2 dual booting with XP on my PC.
    >
    > I've been playing with 10.3 and would like to upgrade my 10.2 install to
    > 10.3.
    >
    > I believe a clean install is preferable to an in-place update?
    >
    > What method would you suggest for replacing 10.2 with 10.3 in a dual
    > boot install?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Guy

    I do clean installs, but I also have set up a /home partition and I use
    expert partitioning to only set a mount point for it - no formatting.

    If you don't have a separate /home, backup your current and make a /home
    partition now. That way, there is no user setup to do and everything looks
    like it did before you started. Works like a charm with all data intact.

    John

+ Reply to Thread