Screen offset since driver update - Suse

This is a discussion on Screen offset since driver update - Suse ; A week ago, I updated my video drivers for my NVidia GeoForce 7600 GS using the one click method from NVidia. Everything looked great,and I was able to see 3D for the first time. However, I noticed today that my ...

  1. Screen offset since driver update

    A week ago, I updated my video drivers for my NVidia GeoForce 7600 GS using
    the one click method from NVidia. Everything looked great,and I was able to
    see 3D for the first time. However, I noticed today that my screen is
    shifted to the left by a small amount. I went into SAX2 and attempted to
    move the screen using the arrows on the "Test" portion of the cycle and
    nothing happened. The screen would not move at all. It had been set to a
    generic VESA. Again trying it set for my Princeton monitor, same result but
    the size was shrunken, so I went back to the generic VESA, which was
    better, but still not perfect.

    Any ideas?

    Godzilla

  2. Re: Screen offset since driver update

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 07:38:07 -0600, Godzilla
    wrote:

    >A week ago, I updated my video drivers for my NVidia GeoForce 7600 GS using
    >the one click method from NVidia. Everything looked great,and I was able to
    >see 3D for the first time. However, I noticed today that my screen is
    >shifted to the left by a small amount. I went into SAX2 and attempted to
    >move the screen using the arrows on the "Test" portion of the cycle and
    >nothing happened. The screen would not move at all. It had been set to a
    >generic VESA. Again trying it set for my Princeton monitor, same result but
    >the size was shrunken, so I went back to the generic VESA, which was
    >better, but still not perfect.
    >
    >Any ideas?

    If it is an LCD display try turning it of after your session has
    started, and then back on again. My LCD display from Viewsonic sometimes
    scales properly, and sometimes I have to cycle the power to it to get it
    to grab and render the frame right.

    I usually boot, then switch my display to my cable input for a while,
    then switch back to the PC after I know it is up. I get a lot fewer
    offsets when I do that.

    If you have a CRT, then it is definitely the driver set-up.

    The non-accelerated driver included with most distros is different from
    the module you incorporate into your kernel from the nVidia site. So you
    may have to tweak the settings to get it back to normalcy.

  3. Re: Screen offset since driver update

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 07:38:07 -0600, Godzilla wrote:

    > I noticed today that my screen is
    > shifted to the left by a small amount.

    Does your display have an auto-adjust button or menu entry on the screen
    itself?

  4. Re: Screen offset since driver update

    Mark South schrieb:
    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 07:38:07 -0600, Godzilla wrote:
    >
    >> I noticed today that my screen is
    >> shifted to the left by a small amount.

    > Does your display have an auto-adjust button or menu entry on the screen
    > itself?

    Maybe xvidtune helps.

    Ciao

    Karl

  5. Re: Screen offset since driver update

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 15:54:05 +0100, Mark South wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 07:38:07 -0600, Godzilla wrote:
    >
    >> I noticed today that my screen is
    >> shifted to the left by a small amount.

    > Does your display have an auto-adjust button or menu entry on the screen
    > itself?

    Another strange thing I just noticed: The control dial on my Princeton
    SENergy 560 (LCD) monitor now appears to be disabled (over-ridden by the
    NVidia drivers?). I have the SAX2 set to a generic LCD. Perhaps I should
    try to see if the control dial is functional at VESA and try it again
    when SAX2 is at at SENergy 560 as well.

    In any case, the screen displacement is very slight, and is something
    that one can live with.

    Thanks for the responses,

    Godzilla

+ Reply to Thread