Where are the Microsoft Core Fonts? - Suse

This is a discussion on Where are the Microsoft Core Fonts? - Suse ; I installed the MS Core Fonts when I did the first online update (during initial installation). Now it occurs to me that I have no clue where they are. They don't show up on KDE's font chooser, nor in Firefox. ...

  1. Where are the Microsoft Core Fonts?

    I installed the MS Core Fonts when I did the first online update (during
    initial installation). Now it occurs to me that I have no clue where
    they are. They don't show up on KDE's font chooser, nor in Firefox.

    Where the heck are they? :P

  2. Re: Where are the Microsoft Core Fonts?

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > I installed the MS Core Fonts when I did the first online update (during
    > initial installation). Now it occurs to me that I have no clue where
    > they are. They don't show up on KDE's font chooser, nor in Firefox.
    >
    > Where the heck are they? :P

    There is a bug in fetchmsttfonts.sh script. If you do some googling, you
    should/may find the bug report. I just installed some backed up fonts I
    had saved from previous installs and everything is fine now. I tried the
    Liberation font set but web pages did not look as good as they did in 10.2.

  3. Re: Where are the Microsoft Core Fonts?

    Peter wrote:
    >Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >> I installed the MS Core Fonts when I did the first online update (during
    >> initial installation). Now it occurs to me that I have no clue where
    >> they are. They don't show up on KDE's font chooser, nor in Firefox.
    >>
    >> Where the heck are they? :P

    >There is a bug in fetchmsttfonts.sh script. If you do some googling, you
    >should/may find the bug report. I just installed some backed up fonts I
    >had saved from previous installs and everything is fine now. I tried the
    >Liberation font set but web pages did not look as good as they did in 10.2.

    Why the heck are there no patches available for all these
    problems? They are small problems to be sure, but still
    folks seem to be making changes (and introducing bugs) just
    for the sake of making changes.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  4. Re: Where are the Microsoft Core Fonts?

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:35:38 +0000 (UTC)
    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > Peter wrote:
    > >Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > >> I installed the MS Core Fonts when I did the first online update
    > >> (during initial installation). Now it occurs to me that I have no
    > >> clue where they are. They don't show up on KDE's font chooser,
    > >> nor in Firefox.
    > >>
    > >> Where the heck are they? :P

    > >There is a bug in fetchmsttfonts.sh script. If you do some googling,
    > >you should/may find the bug report. I just installed some backed up
    > >fonts I had saved from previous installs and everything is fine now.
    > >I tried the Liberation font set but web pages did not look as good
    > >as they did in 10.2.

    > Why the heck are there no patches available for all these
    > problems? They are small problems to be sure, but still
    > folks seem to be making changes (and introducing bugs) just
    > for the sake of making changes.

    Hi
    Just copy the ttf fonts from your windows install and add to
    the /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ direcory the run SuSEconfig.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    up 1 day 19:12, 1 user, load average: 0.37, 0.24, 0.36

  5. Re: Where are the Microsoft Core Fonts?

    Malcolm wrote:
    > Hi
    > Just copy the ttf fonts from your windows install and add to
    > the /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ direcory the run SuSEconfig.

    This worked very well. For reference, this is what I did:

    cp -i /windows/C/WINDOWS/fonts/*.ttf /usr/share/fonts/truetype
    cp -i /windows/C/WINDOWS/fonts/*.TTF /usr/share/fonts/truetype
    SuSEconfig

    IF you get asked to overwrite, answer "n" to keep the version of the
    font that came with openSUSE, or answer "y" to replace it with the
    microsoft version.

    Restart X and there they are

  6. Re: Where are the Microsoft Core Fonts?

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    > Malcolm wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> Just copy the ttf fonts from your windows install and add to
    >> the /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ direcory the run SuSEconfig.

    > This worked very well. For reference, this is what I did:
    >
    > cp -i /windows/C/WINDOWS/fonts/*.ttf /usr/share/fonts/truetype
    > cp -i /windows/C/WINDOWS/fonts/*.TTF /usr/share/fonts/truetype
    > SuSEconfig
    >
    > IF you get asked to overwrite, answer "n" to keep the version of the
    > font that came with openSUSE, or answer "y" to replace it with the
    > microsoft version.
    >
    > Restart X and there they are

    I solved the fonts problems back in 10.0 (when they had just moved the
    location from where it was in 9.x) by copying all the fonts I normally use,
    from MS and from other sources (including some from earlier versions of
    SUSE that are no longer in the default installation) into a directory
    in /home/myuser. It also contains a script that will copy them into the
    suse font directory - until they move it again. And I copy that directory
    to a usb flash and do it on all my new installs.
    John

  7. Re: Where are the Microsoft Core Fonts?

    John Bowling wrote:
    >Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    >> Malcolm wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>> Just copy the ttf fonts from your windows install and add to
    >>> the /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ direcory the run SuSEconfig.

    >> This worked very well. For reference, this is what I did:
    >>
    >> cp -i /windows/C/WINDOWS/fonts/*.ttf /usr/share/fonts/truetype
    >> cp -i /windows/C/WINDOWS/fonts/*.TTF /usr/share/fonts/truetype
    >> SuSEconfig
    >>
    >> IF you get asked to overwrite, answer "n" to keep the version of the
    >> font that came with openSUSE, or answer "y" to replace it with the
    >> microsoft version.
    >>
    >> Restart X and there they are

    >I solved the fonts problems back in 10.0 (when they had just moved the
    >location from where it was in 9.x) by copying all the fonts I normally use,
    >from MS and from other sources (including some from earlier versions of
    >SUSE that are no longer in the default installation) into a directory
    >in /home/myuser. It also contains a script that will copy them into the
    >suse font directory - until they move it again. And I copy that directory
    >to a usb flash and do it on all my new installs.
    >John

    Good idea! I keep all my fonts backed up on a CD (several copies).
    It would be trivial to write a shell script that just copied the
    ..TTF fonts to the "right place" in various SuSE distributions.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

+ Reply to Thread